Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I doubt that will apply up here in Sturgeonland. 

Agreed, but she's not going to stop the hordes of people crossing the border

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

In Blackburn most of them do that willingly.

Addiction is a horrible thing, FinnBarr. :(

Footballfirst

From a document published by SAGE today.  Easing the restrictions is not without consequences.  To be fair to BoJo (there's always a first) he did allude to this in his statement.

Edited by Footballfirst

Ooft.  Looks like we're going in baws on the chopping block.  Hopefully the factors in our favour are and remain strong enough to overpower the adversities.  

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From a document published by SAGE today.  Easing the restrictions is not without consequences.  To be fair to BoJo (there's always a first) he did allude to this in his statement.

The impression I got from the briefings was that the Government expects there will be an increase in cases but is hoping that this won't lead to more hospitalisations and deaths and that ICU's won't fill up, so this ties into that.

Making this roadmap date led is going to get expectations up and if we have to delay or worse,back into tighter restrictions, the public reaction is going to be incendiary.

This is like deja vu with this Government 

38 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Got my vaccine yesterday.  Wasn't expecting it this early to be honest, I'm "high risk" but under 30, so assuming that Tayside must have vaccinated the vast majority of those Over 65 by now.

Feels like I've been punched in the arm repeatedly, but no other obvious side effects :yas: 

What one did you get? My arm was fine but woke up with a splitting headache the following day and felt a bit clammy. Was fine by teatime though. 

6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The impression I got from the briefings was that the Government expects there will be an increase in cases but is hoping that this won't lead to more hospitalisations and deaths and that ICU's won't fill up, so this ties into that.

Making this roadmap date led is going to get expectations up and if we have to delay or worse,back into tighter restrictions, the public reaction is going to be incendiary.

This is like deja vu with this Government 

If the vaccines are doing the job right, then infections will still occur for a time, it's hospitalisations & deaths which should come down first, then infections as more and more people get the jab, so the theory goes.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Self catering holidays in England from 12th April.

At least people can get 1 weeks break at the Easter holidays

Dont bank on it happening in Scotland Nucky.  Im sure some  people on this will remind you sternly of any relevant travel restrictions. 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

We are at the *beginning* of a different scenario. A quarter of the population have had their first vaccination. One of the great mistakes is always in thinking that you're actually at the end of the tunnel when you see the light at the end of it. We're in a far better position with the vaccinations then we were previously, but we're not quite there yet and if we act as if we are then it will take longer to actually get there.

Which is why Johnson's plan is slow, steady and cautious.  He's announcing the plan now but it will be 3 or 4 months before all restrictions are lifted. It's a positive plan and, importantly,  acknowledged that there will be cases, hospitalisations and deaths when restrictions are lifted. However, society, children's life chances and the economy cannot be put on hold any longer. The hospitals , although under extreme pressure, have coped when no-one was vaccinated so they should be expected to manage with any effects of lifting lockdown. All the vulnerable groups and the majority of adults will be vaccinated by June.

The Nicola Sturgeon News sorry the STV news had a headline about the great news about the incredible drop in hospital admissions etc due to the vaccine.  However it went back to its usual dreary NS type of behaviours with a " human interest " story about a pregnant mum 28 who had covid and had to be ventilated.  Not getting at the woman at all and it was nice to see she got through it all and is still preggers and due soon.  However they briefly mentioned that as well as being pregnant she also has a serious underlying condition. ..seems they gotta keep the fear going....

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The Nicola Sturgeon News sorry the STV news had a headline about the great news about the incredible drop in hospital admissions etc due to the vaccine.  However it went back to its usual dreary NS type of behaviours with a " human interest " story about a pregnant mum 28 who had covid and had to be ventilated.  Not getting at the woman at all and it was nice to see she got through it all and is still preggers and due soon.  However they briefly mentioned that as well as being pregnant she also has a serious underlying condition. ..seems they gotta keep the fear going....

Fortunately we don't get STV here, we get ITV Border News aka the Carlisle News Channel (which I rarely ever watch).

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If the vaccines are doing the job right, then infections will still occur for a time, it's hospitalisations & deaths which should come down first, then infections as more and more people get the jab, so the theory goes.

Hopefully that is the case. The R number rising amongst the unvaccinated is my concern as increases the potential to cause another lockdown if we ease too soon.

Dennis Reynolds

Should probably wait untill Sturgeon makes her announcement tommorow before gettingbworked up about what she might or might not do 🤷‍♂️

It's been a good news day. Should be a lift to everyone.

47 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The ONS stats suggest from ages 2 onward, 13% and rising experience symptoms for over 5 weeks i.e. Long covid.

That still leaves a vast majority with mild symptoms but 13% minimum is still a potentially huge amount of people.

I hope I'm wrong and can be seen to be overly cautious but I am still of the mind that we accelerate vaccines to as many as people as possible and transmission rates are negligible before we fully open up.

It's just a hunch but I think by allowing covid to spread significantly through the population we are going to suffer significant public health impacts for years to come.

That doesn't make me a lockdown zealot (I hate lockdown) but the announcement today from Johnson seemed more political than science led, which I think is mistake but guess we'll see.

Yes, I appreciate that, but I'm sure that research into Long Covid will continue and better treatments will become available.  It covers a whole range of symptoms from a bit tiredness to more severe effects. There are many people who suffer lingering effects after any illness along with  those who have debilitating conditions like ME. I think the point is though, that society and the economy cannot be put on hold much longer and , as the vaccination programme reduces the risk of most adults,  we need to lift restrictions and learn to live with Covid.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Got my vaccine yesterday.  Wasn't expecting it this early to be honest, I'm "high risk" but under 30, so assuming that Tayside must have vaccinated the vast majority of those Over 65 by now.

Feels like I've been punched in the arm repeatedly, but no other obvious side effects :yas: 

Get my first one tomorrow, can live with a sore arm (nothing will beat holiday vaccinations back when I was 12, epic pain). I've read that AZ is potentially a bit harsher than Pfizer after-effects, but definitely worth it. 

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Fortunately we don't get STV here, we get ITV Border News aka the Carlisle News Channel (which I rarely ever watch).

Your no missing much.  At least the presenter wasnt that awful Kelly Anne whatever her surname is. Always has a glakit smile on her face . even when reporting grim news. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Your no missing much.  At least the presenter wasnt that awful Kelly Anne whatever her surname is. Always has a glakit smile on her face . even when reporting grim news. 

:rofl: An epic moaner.

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

James will no doubt be seething at this inability to give some positive news without tempering it with words of caution.

Aye 

30 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Which is why Johnson's plan is slow, steady and cautious.  He's announcing the plan now but it will be 3 or 4 months before all restrictions are lifted. It's a positive plan and, importantly,  acknowledged that there will be cases, hospitalisations and deaths when restrictions are lifted. However, society, children's life chances and the economy cannot be put on hold any longer. The hospitals , although under extreme pressure, have coped when no-one was vaccinated so they should be expected to manage with any effects of lifting lockdown. All the vulnerable groups and the majority of adults will be vaccinated by June.

Yes a clear plan and what I also felt was really positive was his comments about the economy. mental and physical health has also be taken into account while lifting these restrictions. I think that was almost an admittance that that there will be some deaths which will be accepted as  a prid quo pro for opening up . 

15 minutes ago, LMc said:

Should probably wait untill Sturgeon makes her announcement tommorow before gettingbworked up about what she might or might not do 🤷‍♂️

It's been a good news day. Should be a lift to everyone.

It has been a great new day. Delighted. 

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I appreciate that, but I'm sure that research into Long Covid will continue and better treatments will become available.  It covers a whole range of symptoms from a bit tiredness to more severe effects. There are many people who suffer lingering effects after any illness along with  those who have debilitating conditions like ME. I think the point is though, that society and the economy cannot be put on hold much longer and , as the vaccination programme reduces the risk of most adults,  we need to lift restrictions and learn to live with Covid.

Any disease which hospitalizes anyone always has some longer term effects whether its a month or longer. Nothing new at all . 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:rofl: An epic moaner.

Really ?  :( my friends find me quite a comedienne actually.. they know me better than anyone on this.......

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aye 

Yes a clear plan and what I also felt was really positive was his comments about the economy. mental and physical health has also be taken into account while lifting these restrictions. I think that was almost an admittance that that there will be some deaths which will be accepted as  a prid quo pro for opening up . 

Any disease which hospitalizes anyone always has some longer term effects whether its a month or longer. Nothing new at all . 

Yes, correct, James. 👍

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

A fair number of the posters who prattle on on The Terrace wouldn't know the feckin way to Tynecastle, kila.

I got dogs abuse for suggesting that on Saturday evening on Terrace thread. Still stands as true though. 

66% vaccine take up as we go down through the ages is a bit disappointing, if I caught Kuensberg correctly.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

One of the side effects of 'long vaccine' is gradual gingering of the hair. Nae luck.

Looks like I'd better invest in some "Just for Men" then :lol: 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

What one did you get? My arm was fine but woke up with a splitting headache the following day and felt a bit clammy. Was fine by teatime though. 

I got the Pfizer one.  My arm felt tight straight away after getting the injection, like it would after a heavy gym session, but today it does just feel like it's taken a bit of a thumping.  Not noticed any other side effects like fever or headache, but I guess I am still within the expected 48 hour window so will have to see what I'm like by tomorrow.  I'll take a sore arm over nausea or headaches any day though!  I was more worried about being allergic to something in the vaccine since I have to carry an EpiPen, but absolutely no allergic reaction, not even a bit of redness around where the needle went in, so that's a bonus.

52 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Get my first one tomorrow, can live with a sore arm (nothing will beat holiday vaccinations back when I was 12, epic pain). I've read that AZ is potentially a bit harsher than Pfizer after-effects, but definitely worth it. 

Yeah it's been fine, more of a mild inconvenience than anything else, only really notice it when I go to pick something up or reach for something.  Have to see if anything happens over the next 24 hours, but I think it's probably going to be fine.  As long as it doesn't make me "artistic" like in the Anti Vax episode of South Park :lol: 

413t3s6f79.jpg

Scottish government plan out tomorrow.  Should be a riot on here.  ;)

In all truth though,  as long as things are going reasonably to plan,  any Scottish tier system and any delays to unlocking are not going to last very long.  It wont be tolerated.  The SG must know that.

Weakened Offender
51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Really ?  :( my friends find me quite a comedienne actually.. they know me better than anyone on this.......

I stopped at 'friends.' 

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

You did. And when an EU country refuses them entry, on the assumption of at least one vaccine dose...there's no Court of European Human Rights to complain to anymore...

Screenshot_20210222-193401_Twitter.jpg

I think the document means that if every adult over 18 takes up the vaccine, it will cover 66% of the population.

The vaccine has not been tested in children yet, so I don't know what she's getting at

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

I had the AZ one and had a headache, relieved with paracetamol and felt clammy for some of the next day. Don’t laugh, but at first I convinced myself I had caught Covid prior to getting the vaccine and that was why I was feeling ropey. Felt like a bit of a cock when I felt better later in the day 😀

Edited by GinRummy

30 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I guess we have different interpretations of what learning to live with covid will actually mean in practice. If it is the majority vaccinated and transmission rates low, then great. If not, then there is another risk of a spike and more restrictions.

Guess we'll see how this pans out.

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think the document means that if every adult over 18 takes up the vaccine, it will cover 66% of the population.

The vaccine has not been tested in children yet, so I don't know what she's getting at

I think it will include people who can't take it for medical reasons as well. Seeing that 34% won't be vaccinated even allowing for full possible take up is quite striking to me tbf. I don't think it should be misrepresented as people eligible and able refusing it.

Edit: I do however think there will be a significant drop off as they go down through the ages

Edited by Taffin

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

In all truth though,  as long as things are going reasonably to plan,  any Scottish tier system and any delays to unlocking are not going to last very long.  It wont be tolerated.  The SG must know that.

If this really is the beginning of the end, she won't be able to differ much from Boris plans.

Her hands will be tied

55 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aye 

That's correct on hospitalization but my point is that if we open up and cause the R number to go above 1, then a real risk of increased hospitalization and longer term health implications in the working age groups who haven't yet been vaccinated.

We obviously have to balance against the damage lockdown is causing so it's a careful balancing act that hopefully this time we will get right.

millerjames398
4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:
Quite apt

Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you

Acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on mother nature
Everybody wants to rule the world

It's my own design
It's my own remorse
Help me to decide
Help me make the most
Of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever

There's a room where the light won't find you
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do I'll be right behind you

So glad we've almost made it
So sad they had to fade it

Anthem.

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If this really is the beginning of the end, she won't be able to differ much from Boris plans.

Her hands will be tied

Correct.  If there is a tier system in place by the time the hospitality stuff starts in England,  the roof will come crashing down on the SG.  It wont fly for long.

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm hopeful that we're very much nearing the end.  We're doing a decent number of vaccinations a day, and hopefully the most vulnerable people already have theirs.   As of 3 days ago, the figures were:

1,320,074 people have officially received the first dose of the Covid vaccine

20,409 have received a second dose

The graph from the BBC article on vaccines per day looks promising, even though it's slowing down over the last week or two:

_117139021_vaccinationsperday-nc.png

Hopefully closer to the 1.5 million total vaccines mark, so around 1/3 of the adult population.

millerjames398
3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'm happy to save my anger up and start off next season at Tynecastle with an almighty BOOOOO!!!

😂..can just picture it, the raw emotion of hopefully a full tynecastle, sing the hearts song in unison, the ref blows the whislte and whichever unlucky player of ours misses a pass or shot, and the boos and cries of ****in chuck it ring round the ground..cant wait😂🇱🇻

manaliveits105
If businesses up here get no dates to plan for as down south there will be trouble ahead for SG
Bad news is no your not getting a date to plan to re open your business but good news is the election is still on  6th May 

27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Had a check of the NHS Vaccine Deployment Document and there is 53m adults out of pop of 66m, so 75% are adults. 

66% of population vaccinated needs low 80s% of adult take up.  Sure I read 75%-80% is required to manage the equivalent of a successful herd immunity approach.

Malinga the Swinga

Let's put the last 12 months behind us and look forward to a better 2021. What's in the past can stay there but the future is ours to shape. 

59 minutes ago, Barack said:

You did. And when an EU country refuses them entry, on the assumption of at least one vaccine dose...there's no Court of European Human Rights to complain to anymore...

Screenshot_20210222-193401_Twitter.jpg

I seen a report from Israel on Sky News last week and the reporter was saying that there has been a sharp drop off of younger people getting the vaccine, it's mostly down to pure simple apathy they think, kind of I won't get seriously ill so I don't need to get vaccinated.

Israeli government saying fine no problem, but just remember you might need proof of vaccination to get into bars, clubs, restaurants, cinema's, shopping malls, bowling alley's etc etc etc.

Classic carrot & stick approach, ok for you not to get vaccinated but you'll not be allowed into anything, your choice. :laugh:

Footballfirst

I can see a large spike in case numbers by mid April, following the schools going back en-masse down south, as a result of mass testing, the Easter holidays and teenagers doing what teenagers do.

The hope will be that deaths and hopitalisations will be a lot lower and any case number spikes can be deemed acceptable.  However as each part of society is opened up while large numbers of people remain unvaccinated, I fear that many more in the 40-60 age group will end up in hospital.

Adam_the_legend
16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Had a check of the NHS Vaccine Deployment Document and there is 53m adults out of pop of 66m, so 75% are adults. 

66% of population vaccinated needs low 80s% of adult take up.  Sure I read 75%-80% is required to manage the equivalent of a successful herd immunity approach.

Herd immunity will also include those who have been infected not just vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I can see a large spike in case numbers by mid April, following the schools going back en-masse down south, as a result of mass testing, the Easter holidays and teenagers doing what teenagers do.

The hope will be that deaths and hopitalisations will be a lot lower and any case number spikes can be deemed acceptable.  However as each part of society is opened up while large numbers of people remain unvaccinated, I fear that many more in the 40-60 age group will end up in hospital.

Taking a chance posting that on here mate. 

The critical thinkers will be after your blood. 😂

56 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I guess we have different interpretations of what learning to live with covid will actually mean in practice. If it is the majority vaccinated and transmission rates low, then great. If not, then there is another risk of a spike and more restrictions.

Guess we'll see how this pans out.

Yes, everyone has different interpretations of it. I do disagree about "spikes", it was acknowledged by both the PM and Chris Whitty that cases will go up, hospitalisations will increase and deaths will occur. That doesn't mean restriction as it did pre-Covid as, for the first time, Whitty basically told the public that there are deaths each year, regardless of vaccines, from flu and other respiratory illnesses. Covid would simply join that list and we, the public, accept that. It was an important message,  after a year of daily stats and death tolls, that , pre-pandemic, deaths occurred daily from similar viruses.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Her hands will be tied

Have you been listening to 'Boris' lately? He's been following Nicola for nearly 3 months now. 😊

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Taking a chance posting that on here mate. 

The critical thinkers will be after your blood. 😂

:laugh2:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic