Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Should the UK have pursued a “zero Covid” strategy? 

This is the question and I hope people now understand what I was trying to say last March. The choice for us living in this country is would you rather have your daily life back meaning everything that you want in terms of bars, pubs, sports matches, concerts, live music, theatre, arts, but with the consequence that you can’t travel abroad and you’re stuck here with the other 66 million people on this island as your pool of social connections, or would you rather be able to go abroad and do whatever you like but live under restrictions for the foreseeable future.

And that’s the difference between living with the virus and eliminating the virus and, for me, I would put aside my own selfish interest in wanting to see family and friends abroad because I know for the vast majority of people, their jobs and their livelihoods, and for children in school the better option is to eliminate the virus.

I agree with you on that. 

Too much delays meant it was allowed to take off in the UK.  

But I would rather just travel within the UK. Many people would be happy to see friends and relatives in the UK they may not have seen for over a year or travel within the UK for a year or so, than spend the next year or two with restrictions that mean they cannot decide anything. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The 1 in 20 figure for London, as of now, has been quoted regularly by the BBC, in amongst ICU tours of course, during the last week or so.  The question of whether that constitutes a reliable source is moot.

I read an interview with Professor Lockdown in The Times yesterday. May well be a similar interview in The Mail on Sunday, you may know better than me on that. 

If the scientists are representing governments and involved in formulating policy, they should not be making unfounded public statements in order to scaremonger.  The public will not accept any continuation of restrictions after the main priority groups have been vaccinated. There is no justification at all. Yes, the virus will circulate and maybe we will catch it a couple of times a year, as we do with the common cold. It may be like the flu where, despite it circulating each year, lots of people have never caught it in their entire life. But it will be an inconvenience or a couple of days off work. 

The only reason for restrictions has been to "protect the NHS". After Feb/March that will no longer be applicable. The fear of Covid has been confused with Covid itself partly due to the nightly diet of hospital footage we are force-fed .Don't forget that Doctors only see the sharp end of the virus, they don't see the vast majority of people who suffer no or mild symptoms and recover very quickly in the community. That paints a deliberately distorted picture, designed to force compliance from the public, an arrangement that will shortly come to an end. Pressure needs to be put on govts to produce a road map and timetable out of lockdown as fear gives way to hope.

It's a strange thing that you want to ridicule some scientists and quote others. The one in twenty figure by the BBC seems to show that herd immunity doesn't work as a strategy. In May they were telling us one in 6 Londoners and one in 20 of the English population already had Covid  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52749186  It that's true then given the amount of transmission since it would be more sensible to suggest that at least half of Londoners would now have had the disease. As infection rates in London remain exceptionally high it appears there is no herd immunity effect. 

Hancock though wanted to issue antibody certificates in England though (to keep the pubs open obviously) on the basis of these government statistics. Did he or the scientists not understand or did he ignore scientific advice about herd immunity? I remember Devi and Jason explaining why a herd immunity approach wasn't feasible that's why they were more supportive of social control measures.

What's your view? Are you still in the herd immunity camp or do you have another plan to deal with a disease that still has the potential to kill many tens of thousands in this country alone?

Blackford Hearts
On 06/01/2021 at 00:23, jonesy said:

Studies show the only masks that make a difference are the n95 respirators. Everything else is just window dressing.

Thanks for this. Can you send a link to those studies

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I though the virus was incredibly transmittable?   ..doesn't sound like it with those stats. 

Don't you understand, we have a preventative strategy for dealing with this virus. Do you not believe the scientists when they say it is much more transmittable?

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

It's a strange thing that you want to ridicule some scientists and quote others. The one in twenty figure by the BBC seems to show that herd immunity doesn't work as a strategy. In May they were telling us one in 6 Londoners and one in 20 of the English population already had Covid  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52749186  It that's true then given the amount of transmission since it would be more sensible to suggest that at least half of Londoners would now have had the disease. As infection rates in London remain exceptionally high it appears there is no herd immunity effect. 

Hancock though wanted to issue antibody certificates in England though (to keep the pubs open obviously) on the basis of these government statistics. Did he or the scientists not understand or did he ignore scientific advice about herd immunity? I remember Devi and Jason explaining why a herd immunity approach wasn't feasible that's why they were more supportive of social control measures.

What's your view? Are you still in the herd immunity camp or do you have another plan to deal with a disease that still has the potential to kill many tens of thousands in this country alone?

You're arguing my point for me. I was repeating the BBC figures and Professor Lockdown saying that London may soon be approaching herd immunity. If true, the virus will run out of people to infect so numbers will drop. Maybe the figures are unreliable and the tests are a bit "rubbishy " as your pal Jason stated previously.  Who knows?

I wouldn't bother quoting Jason on herd immunity as he was an advocate of that strategy back in March, even encouraging his wife to go to a Stereophonics gig just as infections were at their height.

Flu also has the potential to kill tens of thousands in this country. Should we all cower away and hide??  Stopping people living to "save lives" will not be a justifiable strategy after next month.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Correct heard her saying that and after Nicky saying May before over 65s and vulnerable vaccinated - then Hancock saying Autumn before every bodies vaccinated the last thing we need to hear is someone speculating about next Winter restrictions

people will just say sod it 

Has there been a change in approach in Scotland in last few days?

I thought over 50s and vulnerable were May in Scotland......

Governor Tarkin

Help me Devi Sridhar, you're my only hope.

VACI.gif

Edited by Governor Tarkin

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Very true. A red line needs to be drawn once all those over 60/ 70 and those extremely clinically vulnerable ( 2 or more co morbidity) are vaccinated then things need to open up as soon as possible.  People need to see a clear plan and not wishy washy language from Nicky and co  about when things may get back to normal..  NO " new normal" pish. I mean back to pre covid days.   There is a distinct lack of positivism from the SG.  Sturgeon would give the Reverend IM Jolly a run for his money with her outlook.  

Yes but I expect there will be all sorts of excuses not to release lockdown; new "vaccine beating" strains, long Covid, doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine, etc etc. We need leadership from Johnson so that the scientists are left in no doubt about who is in charge. They can continue to bleat from the sidelines if they wish.

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You have to be careful of mutations whilst you are vaccinating the population. So letting things run wild might not be a great idea. If we closed Britain down we could enjoy Covid free living here at least. Drive it down to zero and don’t let it back in. 

Mutations can just as easily weaken the virus but, at any rate, it's not feasible. Apart from decimating business and travel, what would closing Britain down achieve? As soon as thousands of flights start landing after we open up, the virus will return.  What then? Why are we even discussing elimination?

49 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Don't you understand, we have a preventative strategy for dealing with this virus. Do you not believe the scientists when they say it is much more transmittable?

Clearly you cant understand my original comment 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Agree, and you say the vaccine don't mean to be doom and gloom, but it appears they have already ****ed it up. 

Dunno if you saw the queuing in London? No social distancing whatsoever. 

The sooner people realise that both Sturgeon,and Johnson have failed us the better. 

No,didn't see the queuing but don't think compliance is anywhere near as high as it was. Another failure with continuous half arsed lockdowns.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Does that include the hooped ones?

They probably have two excuses.

Asked to, not mandated to by the dates.

Elite sport exemption.

21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes but I expect there will be all sorts of excuses not to release lockdown; new "vaccine beating" strains, long Covid, doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine, etc etc. We need leadership from Johnson so that the scientists are left in no doubt about who is in charge. They can continue to bleat from the sidelines if they wish.

Yeah, what do these ... what did you call them the other day ... oh yes, chinless scientific wonders know about anything?

Edited by FWJ

26 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You have to be careful of mutations whilst you are vaccinating the population. So letting things run wild might not be a great idea. If we closed Britain down we could enjoy Covid free living here at least. Drive it down to zero and don’t let it back in. 

Fantasy island 

True :( 

However, the bit about asking anyone arriving from Dubai since Jan 3rd to quarantine, plus the fact they've got a +ve test in the party that travelled would suggest that someone from on high ought to "do the right thing" and tell them they're not playing or training for the next 10 days.

And award points to opposition,I know it’s hibs.

26 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Totally agree . Problem is we are stuck with Sturgeon and she won’t let go of her grip on power  and decision making 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I read some of the article, yes, and will read the rest later. But she is still talking about elimination. That's not going to happen is it? Others say it will be endemic. She’s also advocating no overseas travel in the summer which,  for most, will be unacceptable.  And for what?  

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated this just becomes another coronavirus which we may or may not get and will not be an issue for many people. I certainly have expressed scepticism about various aspects of this pandemic and suspect we will continue moving from one hot topic, be it long covid or new strains, to another. The scientists want this to continue longer than it needs to and, of course there will be vested interests imo

Australia and New Zealand seem to have almost managed elimination.

As an Island we had a major advantage in attempting that policy.

It will be endemic but that is manageable once we have a vaccine. It's not manageable if we let it rip through the population.

No overseas travel is something I'd be happy with if restrictions were eased. Put it this way, would you rather be like Australia and have some semblance of normality but not allowed to travel, or be allowed to fly out the country but be restricted when you get back home?

Can't agree with the statement on the scientists, that's just cynicism writ large. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Totally agree . Problem is we are stuck with Sturgeon and she won’t let go of her grip on power  and decision making 

:jjyay:

Perhaps that's what we could rebrand Britain as once all the businesses have closed? Just open it up for wealthy Americans, Russians and Chinese to come in and hunt the remnants of the downtrodden population among the ruined cities and empty green countryside.

Sounds like a feasible business plan. Probably be the only business left 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps she could restrict herself? That's one measure I could get behind.

Tell me about it . Tick tock anyway Re Salmond 

Fxxx the SPFL

i know the daily positive covid cases are high but are they accurate only asking because my in laws are in an Edinburgh nursing home and have both tested positive three times in the last ten days do they count only the once

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i know the daily positive covid cases are high but are they accurate only asking because my in laws are in an Edinburgh nursing home and have both tested positive three times in the last ten days do they count only the once

I hope they are coping well.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope they are coping well.

mother in law was quite ill but seems to have turned the corner they got the vaccine just before christmas would like to think that helped. father n law perfect thanks for asking

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps that's what we could rebrand Britain as once all the businesses have closed? Just open it up for wealthy Americans, Russians and Chinese to come in and hunt the remnants of the downtrodden population among the ruined cities and empty green countryside.

That’s already happened over the last ten years. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Cool. No wonder they've been reluctant to stop inbound flights.

When Scottish football is inevitably stopped once again, I may have to buy myself a ticket to this. Watching Hank, Igor and Wu Tang Klan running about Sutherland with shotguns chasing a pack of feral neds is about all the entertainment we'll get in 2021.

I suggest a reality tv show called Laurence Fox hunting, in the style of the Running Man or Hunger Games. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I've seen the name Laurance Fox posted on here a few times. Have no idea who he/she is and no desire to Google him/her. Care to offer a one line summary?

Right wing White privileged racist *****. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Enough about me. What about this Fox chap(ess)? :) 

He makes even the worst posters on here look sane, even me 🤪🤣

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hopeless 3 rd rate actor , only got tv roles due to nepotism from his upper class white privileged relatives and is now getting hardly any roles so has reinvented himself as the male version of Katie Hopkins...  

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hopeless 3 rd rate actor , only got tv roles due to nepotism from his upper class white privileged relatives and is now getting hardly any roles so has reinvented himself as the male version of Katie Hopkins...  

I only got one line ffs. 

Don’t forget he tweeted his support for all lives matter and In September 2020, Fox was reported to have attracted funding for a new political party, provisionally called Reclaim,[31][32] and dubbed "UKIP for culture".[33] It emerged in October 2020 that the party name had yet to be successfully registered with the Electoral Commission and that there was a naming conflict with the "Reclaim Project" of Manchester, an established charity in Manchester endeavouring to give opportunities to working-class children.[34]

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I only got one line ffs. 

Don’t forget he tweeted his support for all lives matter and In September 2020, Fox was reported to have attracted funding for a new political party, provisionally called Reclaim,[31][32] and dubbed "UKIP for culture".[33] It emerged in October 2020 that the party name had yet to be successfully registered with the Electoral Commission and that there was a naming conflict with the "Reclaim Project" of Manchester, an established charity in Manchester endeavouring to give opportunities to working-class children.[34]

👍

New variant, Accumulating evidence of increased transmission, amongst children while at school. 

High confidence in children of secondary school age 👍

Difficult to quantify the size of this effect. 

Children (12-16)can transmit within households as well as in educational settings. 

The virus loves both your incompetence Adolf sturgeon, and Joseph Johnson. 

Ah schools are alright doesn't happen their. 

To let everybody understand how viruses work, viruses don't want to kill people, their Main goal is to find hosts? Why do they do this? simple it's how they stay alive 😊

How do you eradicate it? By having hard lockdowns, sacrifice maybe 6 months of your life?. 

Why won't it go away? Because we are trying to rush the process. 

Don't want to cause alarm to anyone but at the current rate of vaccine distribution around the world atm, it's predicted it will take until 2027 until the world has some form of Herd immunity to it, that's just at the pace it's being done at just now. 

On top of this their is nothing to say that the virsus will not mutate into something worse, they usually don't most of the time they mutate into weaker strains and less deadly, but that all depends if you can't limit it's hosts example animals 👍

I see the same mistakes being made with vaccine, as what was being made with test and trace and that's a system that is not fit for purpose. 

All they are doing is putting huge stress on the individuals doing it, which is absolutely disgusting. 

The emotional toll it's taking on our NHS is really worrying. 

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

No,didn't see the queuing but don't think compliance is anywhere near as high as it was. Another failure with continuous half arsed lockdowns.

Indeed , half assed measures have become to many “do as you like there is no consequences” measures

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

🤣

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He makes even the worst posters on here look sane, even me 🤪🤣

😒doubtful 😜

The Mighty Thor

Looking very much like Baw Jaws will be out tonight at 5pm tightening up restrictions for England as its running totally out of control in the shires. 

Expect madame to try like **** for a 4.30pm slot.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It does feel like we’re waiting for the next set of restrictions. Seems to be increasing chat restrictions will last for at least 12 weeks.

Does the fish need to go to Hollyrood to announce changes, meaning tomorrow more likely up here?

In England I believe nurseries are still open while primary schools are closed, so that was discussed as a possibility, but they are saying that there isn't many more levers they can change at Tier 4+.

It all really comes down to compliance and enforcement of the rules they have already defined.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’m a key worker and was out early this morning. Motorway was absolutely heaving - once again, a lockdown which isn’t going to have any effect because the restrictions are too vague, the loopholes too big and folk are basically disregarding it.

”Work from home unless you can’t” is just an open invitation for people to go to work and find an excuse for being there. Went running on Saturday and there’s this road near me with countless food shops of one type or another (most of them artisan style so in no way essential outlets). All of them open, all with queues outside making the street packed. A massive mess.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In England I believe nurseries are still open while primary schools are closed, so that was discussed as a possibility, but they are saying that there isn't many more levers they can change at Tier 4+.

It all really comes down to compliance and enforcement of the rules they have already defined.

Nurseries are still open down here but the pressure to close them will have an effect before long. Enforcement is essential but also, the government need to produce a strict list of what counts as a key worker. People have got it into their heads that if someone somewhere needs them to do some work for them, it counts as being essential. But if you’re closing schools, it should really only be supermarkets and pharmacies open and public services should operate at an absolute minimum. 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m a key worker and was out early this morning. Motorway was absolutely heaving - once again, a lockdown which isn’t going to have any effect because the restrictions are too vague, the loopholes too big and folk are basically disregarding it.

”Work from home unless you can’t” is just an open invitation for people to go to work and find an excuse for being there. Went running on Saturday and there’s this road near me with countless food shops of one type or another (most of them artisan style so in no way essential outlets). All of them open, all with queues outside making the street packed. A massive mess.

Completely agree, I could go into my office tomorrow by the rules if I wanted by just deciding I can't work from my home.

That said, not really sure why something being artisan makes it any more or less essential? Surely, if a foodstuff is essential, it's essential no matter how it was made. That does of course re-open the debate around what good are/are not essential...probably 95% of what a supermarket sells isn't essential. I'd rather people queued up outside and supported local business for their food than engaging in the supermarket bun fight I think. 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nurseries are still open down here but the pressure to close them will have an effect before long. Enforcement is essential but also, the government need to produce a strict list of what counts as a key worker. People have got it into their heads that if someone somewhere needs them to do some work for them, it counts as being essential. But if you’re closing schools, it should really only be supermarkets and pharmacies open and public services should operate at an absolute minimum. 

Apologies for quoting you again, I started to touch on this in my reply above. The use of the word 'essential' seems to have lost all meaning entirely...not that it was used properly back in March etc either.

Of course, without tradesmen then supermarkets and public services would quickly cease to be able to operate safely and then those tradesmen need somewhere to buy materials and so on and on. I can see that logic but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Edited by Taffin

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Completely agree, I could go into my office tomorrow by the rules if I wanted by just deciding I can't work from my home.

That said, not really sure why something being artisan makes it any more or less essential? Surely, if a foodstuff is essential, it's essential no matter how it was made. That does of course re-open the debate around what good are/are not essential...probably 95% of what a supermarket sells isn't essential. I'd rather people queued up outside and supported local business for their food than engaging in the supermarket bun fight I think. 

I feel the same in terms of supporting local business but I guess the point I’m making is that an artisan bread shop is in no way more essential than a shop that sells playstations. I know it’s food but we’re not talking staples. It just struck me as I ran up that road that about 75 per cent of the shops or more were open in a period when the country is supposed to be under a strict lockdown. For example, there are two green grocers five doors up from each other. I know neither would want to close but it really makes no sense.

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Apologies for quoting you again, I started to touch on this in my reply above. The use of the word 'essential' seems to have lost all meaning entirely...not that it was used properly back in March etc either.

Of course, without tradesmen then supermarkets and public services would quickly cease to be able to operate safely and then those tradesmen need somewhere to buy materials and so on and on. I can see that logic but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

No limit on exercise , vagueness and lack of consequences in peoples minds is just an open invitation to a lot to disregard things. 

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I find it difficult to be hard on people who are only trying to keep their businesses afloat or simply earn an honest living.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I feel the same in terms of supporting local business but I guess the point I’m making is that an artisan bread shop is in no way more essential than a shop that sells playstations. I know it’s food but we’re not talking staples. It just struck me as I ran up that road that about 75 per cent of the shops or more were open in a period when the country is supposed to be under a strict lockdown. For example, there are two green grocers five doors up from each other. I know neither would want to close but it really makes no sense.

I agree bread isn't essential but I read your original post as suggesting it was not essential because it was artisan, rather than because it's bread. I was just meaning whether something is hand made or mass produced by a machine doesn't really influence whether it's essential or not. It gets back into that debate around why can a breadmaker not sell their non-essential product, but a supermarket can. We'd probably arrive at truly essential shops only, if we actually shut supermarkets. Butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers and it would instantly stop people who are out at the supermarket to buy crisps, booze and newspapers. That's of course being  flippant, but our truly essential needs are a really, really narrow set of goods.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I agree bread isn't essential but I read your original post as suggesting it was not essential because it was artisan, rather than because it's bread. I was just meaning whether something is hand made or mass produced by a machine doesn't really influence whether it's essential or not. It gets back into that debate around why can a breadmaker not sell their non-essential product, but a supermarket can. We'd probably arrive at truly essential shops only, if we actually shut supermarkets. Butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers and it would instantly stop people who are out at the supermarket to buy crisps, booze and newspapers. That's of course being  flippant, but our truly essential needs are a really, really narrow set of goods.

Bring back WWII style rationing.

That would kill a few birds with one stone.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

I find it difficult to be hard on people who are only trying to keep their businesses afloat or simply earn an honest living.

The problem is they have half assed things up and down the UK with regards to helping people who struggle or are struggling due to this. Means people are going out to try and keep their heads above water financially. Energy companies have done nothing to help customers who are earning less or are on furlough and are stuck at home. It goes on and on 😞 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Can you imagine the reaction to that. They went into supermarkets tearing down areas out of bounds because they couldn’t buy a new ps4 game or a new tv or a new bra... Imagine if people had to live with proper rationing for a period of time. Just make sure Bar de Tarkiń is stocked up and we will all be round to use up your beer rations 😉

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd have gone for essential food boxes from supermarkets, given people a time slot to go and collect it and that was your lot. Rations would also be an option, might help get the co-morbibities down as well.

Well, I say that, I'm opposed to restrictions etc but I'm trying to keep my positive outlook on it up and if we're saying essentials only, then let's make it essentials only.

They need to give up on the "Stay at Home" message. It's nonsense as people have to go out, supermarkets, exercising, working etc. What does "Stay at Home" actually mean, in practice?? 

People walking about , socially distanced, with a take away coffee, or families sledging are not the problem.

Would be far more effective to enforce the rules in places like supermarkets,  buses etc and ban car sharing for example?? I see one guy is suing Aldi for asking him to wear a mask, apparently he has anxiety. Well fair enough but he should be carrying an exemption. Enforcement of important rules is far more effective than meaningless soundbites like "Stay at Home "

manaliveits105

The news last night kept showing lots of people exercising in a big park - no big groups and they were clearly social distancing but the news team were obviously trying to get the best angles to try and make it look like they werent 

when they have enquiries after this is all over I hope they include media coverage 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic