Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not suggesting they do. I'm suggesting you book a slot to visit. Look, were being told about sacrifices and thousands dying, if we're going to try and eliminate all that, 'i can't book an online slot' doesn't really cut it imo. Anyone capable of getting themselves to a supermarket, choosing and paying for food and getting home again has the capacity to book a time online.

Edit: not having a go at you btw, just going on how much everyone is having to go out of their comfort zone and sacrifice etc, I don't think it's a big ask really

I'm sure M&S Straiton were doing that over Xmas/New Year.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree Brian. Dodging the mask refuseniks and avoiding busy aisles can also reduce the risk but, you're right, must be minimal chance of catching it in a supermarket. As you say, you're only in contact with others momentarily. I still think they should be forced to reintroduce the one-way systems.

Yes as you have said before Enzo you really have to be in the company of someone for 15 minutes or so to get enough viral load to catch it. Its near impossible from just walking passed people etc. However there are issues of people touching stuff in supermarkets .  Supermarkets are low risk.  Indoor smaller places maybe are. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes as you have said before Enzo you really have to be in the company of someone for 15 minutes or so to get enough viral load to catch it. Its near impossible from just walking passed people etc. However there are issues of people touching stuff in supermarkets .  Supermarkets are low risk.  Indoor smaller places maybe are. 

You see this is something I've never quite understood about this.

We are getting told that Covid is very easy to catch and is highly transmissable, but they also say that you have to be in close contact with someone for around about 15 minutes for you to get enough viral load to catch it.

It can't be that contagious if it takes 15 minutes of exposure for you to catch it, this 15 minutes thing just doesn't make sense to me.

My wife left Aldi at Cameron Toll today.

3 wee maskless teenage dicks going around breathing on stuff.

It's not good enough from Aldi for not having someone on the door.  Yes it's only 3 wee dicks, and even if wearing masks they could have entered, took off and done same.

If masks make such a difference, and we are meant to ask ourselves about 5 times 'do I really need to leave the house' then they should be compulsory now.

If you can't function with a mask (and I'd say well into 90% who say they can't, can for what they are doing) then you need central govt support to live your life basics such as shop deliveries.  Essential retail shops are the only places meant to be open anyway.  Or are provided with breathable masks by the state.

Edited by DETTY29

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We are getting told that Covid is very easy to catch and is highly transmissable, but they also say that you have to be in close contact with someone for around about 15 minutes for you to get enough viral load to catch it.

It can't be that contagious if it takes 15 minutes of exposure for you to catch it, this 15 minutes thing just doesn't make sense to me.

Yep...but most scientists believe the 15 minutes threshold.  I think it may mean if your maybe indoors and near them even just chatting. I assume if you were unlucky being near someone in a shop and they coughed directly on to you there may be a significantly increased chance. 

29 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Supermarket shopping doesn’t strike me as a very risky thing in regards to Covid. People move around quickly tend not to come too close, certainly not for long and they are big spaces. Working there a different situation entirely. 

I don't think they are either but there's not many places left and somewhere is causing the spread. If they are contributing to it, cutting down the free for all nature of them would surely help.

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not everyone is online in particular old people. Plenty disabled cant go out either and need others to help them.  Like i said at the begging all resources should have been pumped into people either getting paid or volunteering to do shopping for those who cant.  Your suggestion could be feasible with a certain amount in allowed in the one time?  I assume you meant that? Yes I know your not getting at me. No problems. 

Agree about helping those who can't go, all for that and would happily volunteer to help those people with shopping, but this suggestion wouldn't effect them as they're already not going. Also, yes, absolutely time limited, 20 minute slots with a 10 minute sanitisation in between, then go again with the next batch. For those not online, then I'm afraid to say, my response would be 'get online or ask someone too book a slot for you'. We've not been tough enough throughout this, lots of people are doing things they don't feel comfortable doing or don't want to do, so let's stop letting people's excuses slow us down from getting out of it. I know that sounds very harsh and I think you also know my personal preference would not be harsh restrictions, but whilst they are here, I say do them properly. 

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm sure M&S Straiton were doing that over Xmas/New Year.

Despite their old fart persona, M&S can be fairly forward thinking as a business. Good on them.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, I've wondered about that too. Leitch confirmed that the existing measures were effective against the new strain. I suspect, as many do, that this was a pre-Christmas stunt to influence compliance over the holiday season. One Sky reporter mentioned today that "we can expect to see more footage from ICU wards" in the coming weeks as scientists are worried about compliance. So, have the news channels deferred editorial control to the omnipresent chinless scientific wonders now? Yet another sinister twist.

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep...but most scientists believe the 15 minutes threshold.  I think it may mean if your maybe indoors and near them even just chatting. I assume if you were unlucky being near someone in a shop and they coughed directly on to you there may be a significantly increased chance. 

And where do most people spend 15 minutes or more indoors talking to someone, in their own home.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And where do most people spend 15 minutes or more indoors talking to someone, in their own home.

Yes. 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I've wondered about that too. Leitch confirmed that the existing measures were effective against the new strain. I suspect, as many do, that this was a pre-Christmas stunt to influence compliance over the holiday season. One Sky reporter mentioned today that "we can expect to see more footage from ICU wards" in the coming weeks as scientists are worried about compliance. So, have the news channels deferred editorial control to the omnipresent chinless scientific wonders now? Yet another sinister twist.

Well it stands to reason that if you have more infections then you'll have more people being hospitalised and as a consequence of that more people are bound to be in ICU as well.

Dagger Is Back
32 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

My wife left Aldi at Cameron Toll today.

3 wee maskless teenage dicks going around breathing on stuff.

It's not good enough from Aldi for not having someone on the door.  Yes it's only 3 wee dicks, and even if wearing masks they could have entered, took off and done same.

If masks make such a difference, and we are meant to ask ourselves about 5 times 'do I really need to leave the house' then they should be compulsory now.

If you can't function with a mask (and I'd say well into 90% who say they can't, can for what they are doing) then you need central govt support to live your life basics such as shop deliveries.  Essential retail shops are the only places meant to be open anyway.  Or are provided with breathable masks by the state.

It’s not good enough you’re right. I was in Asda during the week and I genuinely think I’ll be moving to online shopping given what I saw.

No bloody excuse for it and whilst the Government has made a complete Gareth of it, some folks are being complete and utter dicks.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know he tested positive for covid, but it says he went to bed with a tight chest and died in his sleep.

It could have been a heart attack

I don’t know if that’s more or less likely at 36 than dying of Covid but to dismiss the death of a young man as “usual scare propaganda” is really quite something.  

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know he tested positive for covid, but it says he went to bed with a tight chest and died in his sleep.

Tight chest is often a bit of a clue.

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That'll be a horses rein.😄

That'll be a horse's rein. The apostrophe is your friend 👍

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

I don’t know if that’s more or less likely at 36 than dying of Covid but to dismiss the death of a young man as “usual scare propaganda” is really quite something.  

I think he was pointing out the fact that it was politicised in order to scaremonger.  12 under 30s die every week with undetected heart conditions.  How many make the BBC News?

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think he was pointing out the fact that it was politicised in order to scaremonger.  12 under 30s die every week with undetected heart conditions.  How many make the BBC News?

I genuinely hope you live alone. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Politicised?  
One person’s scaremonger is another’s warning.

In either circumstance I think the language was ill-considered and insensitive at best.

16 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

It’s not good enough you’re right. I was in Asda during the week and I genuinely think I’ll be moving to online shopping given what I saw.

No bloody excuse for it and whilst the Government has made a complete Gareth of it, some folks are being complete and utter dicks.

I changed to online shopping in November, in part....no, mainly because I became less confident from what I was seeing through the behaviour of other people, I have no worries going to my local co-op most days, but a larger store in a much larger town, nah people were imo becoming complacent and careless.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Maybe a wee bit of scaremongering is what we need just now. 

We need more scaremongering IMO 

The Governor has hacked your account Brian😂

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I changed to online shopping in November, in part....no, mainly because I became less confident from what I was seeing through the behaviour of other people, I have no worries going to my local co-op most days, but a larger store in a much larger town, nah people were imo becoming complacent and careless.

My sister in law started online shopping a few months ago and it's the best thing she's done for a while. She doesn't have a car and isn't in the best of health.  She was shopping every day which is madness.

28 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Decent chance he wouldn't have had a heart attack had he not had a debilitating respiratory virus? Or nah?

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

So it’s only thinking if you look at information and then disagree with the government ? What if you think they are right?

Get real man, you're a fool if you think this isn't the most completely incompetent shitshow in living memory. These clowns could f@#k up a cup of coffee!

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That'll be a horse's rein. The apostrophe is your friend 👍

As is a full stop ffs 🙈.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My sister in law started online shopping a few months ago and it's the best thing she's done for a while. She doesn't have a car and isn't in the best of health.  She was shopping every day which is madness.

Mrs JJ often used to stop in Gala on her way home, she'd pop in for two or three things and £42 later😂.....anyway I had been thinking about online shopping for quite sometime and giving my health etc it made sense as we can get Asda & Tesco from Galashiels, Morrison's from Hawick & Sainsbury's from Stration all delivered here. I've had 2 Sainsbury's & 1 Asda order so far and can't complain.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mrs JJ often used to stop in Gala on her way home, she'd pop in for two or three things and £42 later😂.....anyway I had been thinking about online shopping for quite sometime and giving my health etc it made sense as we can get Asda & Tesco from Galashiels, Morrison's from Hawick & Sainsbury's from Stration all delivered here. I've had 2 Sainsbury's & 1 Asda order so far and can't complain.

Popping in for one or two things can be expensive because invariably it ends up more.

Might try the online shopping at some point.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Popping in for one or two things can be expensive because invariably it ends up more.

Might try the online shopping at some point.

Especially when it was Mrs JJ doing it. :laugh:

Saving a fortune now.

Adam_the_legend
48 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If he tested positive for covid then he died of covid. That’s the world we live in now 😔 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Especially when it was Mrs JJ doing it. :laugh:

Saving a fortune now.

It must be female thing.

The wife hates it when I go shopping with her.

I meant to ask you about savings.👍

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As is a full stop ffs 🙈.

😂.  Should the full stop not come before the emoji, Pasquale?? Genuine question😎

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

What would you do Frank?

Good question, Brian.

Impossible to say, even given hindsight. I would, however, at the very least take responsibility for the mistakes that are inevitably made in these situations. That is sorely lacking both here and south of the border. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My thinking  

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes 

21 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

If he tested positive for covid then he died of covid. That’s the world we live in now 😔 

So true 

Nucky Thompson
47 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Decent chance he wouldn't have had a heart attack had he not had a debilitating respiratory virus? Or nah?

And there is every chance he might have. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My thinking  

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes 

21 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

So true 

Adam_the_legend
5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

We have had nearly 90,000 excess deaths in the uk, over 80,000 have died within 28 days of a +ve test.

If it’s not Covid what are all these extra people dying from? (Insert incentive bus driver joke here)

So that’s how “the science” works now  is it? We just assume things. You ask a good question, I’d like an empirical peer reviewed answer not just supposition. Is that really too much to ask??

Edited by Adam_the_legend
Autocorrect

39 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

What would you do Frank?

Was Frank ever in the running for FM or PM though. I think it’s only right to expect the decision making of our political leaders to be better than Frank from kickback. The countries’ figures are absolutely appalling. 

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It must be female thing.

The wife hates it when I go shopping with her.

I meant to ask you about savings.👍

Mine's just hates food shopping, didn't seem to stop her spending a fortune though!

It was me who did the food shopping but with Covid and me having to be careful because of my health, I was just never in Gala very often and then when I seen people getting careless I made the decision that it just wasn't worth the risk to my health anymore.

Saving money because Mrs JJ isn't stopping for a couple of things anymore and not needed to do a shop this month as there is plenty of food in both freezers and cupboards.  Will maybe try Tesco & Morrisons at the end of the month, just to try something different.

It's the way to go, one tip I've found is to book the saver slot (Sainsbury's) where if you are in all day you get a slot over 4 hours which only costs £1 then on the morning of the delivery you then get an hour slot, so if you choose between 2 - 6 pm delivery, in the morning you'll get told that delivery will be between 3 - 4 pm and you've saved yourself £2 or £3 by doing that way, a couple of quid is better in your pocket.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mine's just hates food shopping, didn't seem to stop her spending a fortune though!

It was me who did the food shopping but with Covid and me having to be careful because of my health, I was just never in Gala very often and then when I seen people getting careless I made the decision that it just wasn't worth the risk to my health anymore.

Saving money because Mrs JJ isn't stopping for a couple of things anymore and not needed to do a shop this month as there is plenty of food in both freezers and cupboards.  Will maybe try Tesco & Morrisons at the end of the month, just to try something different.

It's the way to go, one tip I've found is to book the saver slot (Sainsbury's) where if you are in all day you get a slot over 4 hours which only costs £1 then on the morning of the delivery you then get an hour slot, so if you choose between 2 - 6 pm delivery, in the morning you'll get told that delivery will be between 3 - 4 pm and you've saved yourself £2 or £3 by doing that way, a couple of quid is better in your pocket.

👍

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂.  Should the full stop not come before the emoji, Pasquale?? Genuine question😎

It is a good question, as the emoji is part of the sentence I would say after it 😆. I also wouldn’t start a sentence with one either 👍🏽

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

It is a good question, as the emoji is user of the sentence I would say after it 😆. I also wouldn’t start a sentence with one either 👍🏽

😂 Never noticed that. I didn't put it there😄

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And there is every chance he might have. 

Would you argue against Covid-19 being on his death certificate as a contributing factor?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic