Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Mu error regarding Linda Bauld. Didn't know she was on the SAGE group.  Mind you thats hardly a ringing endorsement of her knowledge base really.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
29 minutes ago, Herbert said:

scroll back a few pages to see his response to people’s personal anxieties about loved-ones in care homes

his posts frankly the lowest this forum has hit in my opinion

there was some back-tracking of course after he was called-out by several posters

23 hours ago, Barack said:

My missus isn't vulnerable. I've said this before, but where we are in Wales has one of the highest rates in the UK. Again. Her place of work is/has been riddled. She's caught it despite doing every single thing by the book. Wether that's the new strain...I dunno. But suspect it is. I've now had two tests & been negative. 

Factories in our neck of the woods, have accounted for probably more cases, than the usual arseholes having the house parties. Same where my brother stays in Nottinghamshire.

I'd put good odds, on that sector plus tweenies/kids being the two driving factors throughout all of this since the summer, once the data is analysed.

On a side note; self isolating is bloody boring. But...could be a lot worse.🤷‍♂️

Yes, I agree, the sectors you mention are probably main drivers in the spread.  Working in close proximity to others in factories is bound to be a source. 

Hope all are well.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you genuinely believe The Army in Scotland couldve managed this public health crisis then you truly are a space cadet, pal. 😁

:lol:

58 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

scroll back a few pages to see his response to people’s personal anxieties about loved-ones in care homes

his posts frankly the lowest this forum has hit in my opinion

there was some back-tracking of course after he was called-out by several posters

I presume this is about me. I never ridiculed people's anxieties about loved ones in care homes and so i had no need to back-track. I was elevating the concerns of those in care homes and their right to life.

I merely explained to a poster that his view that care home residents should have the right to decide who visits them was likely condemning some of their fellow residents to death. His argument that many residents had mental health difficulties as a result of not seeing their relatives was countered by suggesting that if things were that bad they could remove remove their relatives from the institution. That was not an option available to those dying as a result of them being infected by visitors.

Of course if you disagree then you can find the relevant statement and use it to back up your claim.

Why should you be so outraged by my comments and yet say nothing about the human rights of residents and their right to life?

15 flights from all over the world landed in Edinburgh today, as have many flights continued to do and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, "the people of Scotland" are banned from visiting our parents, grand parents, children, grand children, siblings or friends and the border between our closest neighbours is closed.

Anyone able to explain the logic behind this?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
39 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I presume this is about me. I never ridiculed people's anxieties about loved ones in care homes and so i had no need to back-track. I was elevating the concerns of those in care homes and their right to life.

I merely explained to a poster that his view that care home residents should have the right to decide who visits them was likely condemning some of their fellow residents to death. His argument that many residents had mental health difficulties as a result of not seeing their relatives was countered by suggesting that if things were that bad they could remove remove their relatives from the institution. That was not an option available to those dying as a result of them being infected by visitors.

Of course if you disagree then you can find the relevant statement and use it to back up your claim.

Why should you be so outraged by my comments and yet say nothing about the human rights of residents and their right to life?

actually Doug it wasn’t about you so you presume wrongly - it was about luckydug and as stated in my post : in my opinion

it was after your posts and subsequent to the understandable emotional reply you received from the poster who is currently in a next-to impossible situation with their loved-one (I’m sure a very difficult situation repeated throughout the country)

in my opinion your posts were distasteful (the inference that loved-ones could just be removed from homes in particular) at best but what made luckydugs much worse in my opinion was that it came subsequent to the other posters emotional reply to you

”outraged” - not me - just calmly stating an opinion - nothing more nothing less

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, JyTees said:

15 flights from all over the world landed in Edinburgh today, as have many flights continued to do and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, "the people of Scotland" are banned from visiting our parents, grand parents, children, grand children, siblings or friends and the border between our closest neighbours is closed.

Devolution and reserved matters is the difference. 

4 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

People can be affected by both covid and the Govt responses to Covid.  At times they are interchangeable. 

Bob, is that you? 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Didn’t realise Hollyrood had been recalled for a special session today, where the fish is expected to announce greater restrictions 

It is expected she will make announcement about schools and possibly the likes of Shetland 

It must be a reasonably big announcement, if Parliament has been recalled and announcement made there as opposed to a briefing. Parliament wasn’t due back till next year, 

On that Linda Bauld, people may not like what she has to say or even her. That doesn’t change she will have much better insight to govt plans as she  on SAGE etc. The fact she and Leitch have indicated these restrictions will go on longer tends to suggest they will no matter how unpalatable we find the news 

If England ramp up their restrictions, which seems likely. Think we will see SG do similar, albeit with a tartan bow wrapped very tightly round new restrictions. 

Some of the infections rates are absolutely mental in England. Some parts of the country have a 7day per 100k at above 1200. Thats not far of x10 Edinburgh. Whilst a major incident has been declared in Essex they are struggling that much with COVID. 

Agree with this although they need to vote on the Brexit deal aswell.

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, JyTees said:

Its been like this from the start in March. 

Theres 'tourists' bowling about Edinburgh quite the thing. 

Its also the reason why the 'English' variant is now spreading across the globe. 

Unbelievable. 

17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Didn’t realise Hollyrood had been recalled for a special session today, where the fish is expected to announce greater restrictions 

It is expected she will make announcement about schools and possibly the likes of Shetland 

It must be a reasonably big announcement, if Parliament has been recalled and announcement made there as opposed to a briefing. Parliament wasn’t due back till next year, 

On that Linda Bauld, people may not like what she has to say or even her. That doesn’t change she will have much better insight to govt plans as she  on SAGE etc. The fact she and Leitch have indicated these restrictions will go on longer tends to suggest they will no matter how unpalatable we find the news 

If England ramp up their restrictions, which seems likely. Think we will see SG do similar, albeit with a tartan bow wrapped very tightly round new restrictions. 

Some of the infections rates are absolutely mental in England. Some parts of the country have a 7day per 100k at above 1200. Thats not far of x10 Edinburgh. Whilst a major incident has been declared in Essex they are struggling that much with COVID. 

Brexit is it not? 

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Oxford Vaccine Approved right now

Covid-19: Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine approved for use in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55280671

Massive game changer and best news in a long time. 4M doses ready to go and U.K. manufacturing ramping up 

Still a long way to go for return to normal but amazing news.

😢 Thank feck! 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You might be right but doesn’t seem to be the chat. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/covid-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-give-19532926.amp

What would the SG have discuss at Holyrood as a matter of interest that’s all dealt with at Westminster. Whatever they do has no bearing on Brexit🤷🏻‍♂️ Have I missed something, entirely possible 😞

Consent. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

The news has been in a very good mood. I’m hoping the announcement today is about vaccine as opposed to tightening. 

It does feel like the news been waiting for.

Yip, hopefully we can now vaccinate everyone and then go back for the second dose/half dose. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I noticed the seemed to talking about single dosing with Oxford and giving other 12 weeks later. I think it must get a fair chunk of protection from first jab and logistically distributes the supply quicker. 

Anyway maybe we will find out this afternoon the plans for vaccines. Will be interesting to see more details as emerge.

👍

Wow.  The article says they're going on a system of a first dose and second after 12 weeks to maximise the number of people they can give some protection to.  That looks like they'll be trying to get the entire priority group done by end of March.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone know what situation/plan is about under 18’s? Initially they weren’t planned to get it as viewed so low risk. The new strain seems to have possibly mucked that up. 

I would think there's no plans to prioritise the younger ages until it's proved that vaccinations prevent or greatly reduce transmission.  If this doesn't happen then there would be little point.  If it does then very much so.

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock on TV just now saying everyone will get the vaccine. When under 50’s happen no one knows. They have enough supplies to do everyone over 18. 

Under 18’s still no plans to vaccinate as deemed so low risk plus no trials done under 18 of vaccine. 

Wonder if that will be the new rights of passage turn 18 and get a pint and a vaccine. 

My arm is ready and waiting! 

The Mighty Thor
41 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The news has put me in a very good mood. I’m hoping the announcement today is about vaccine as opposed to tightening of restrictions. 

It does feel like the news been waiting for.

I heard her on the radio this morning. 

Tier 4 not enough. Need to tighten etc etc etc. 

Not exactly sure what that would mean given that everything is already shut. 

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

No meeting outside ?

As you say what else is left.

Personally think the rules will be well out the window come Hogmanay.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Everything isn't shut. And that is where they have failed. Shops and supermarkets should be open on a 9 til 5 and that's it. No fecking about. And if it comes to it, the Spanish polis should be hired to deal with it. 

manaliveits105

Have they rolled out a professor yet to say - Yes but it will be end of year before we see any return to normal ...blah blah blah 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Feel like you want to piss on my chips😡

Seriously, seems to be the current view ref tier4.

School closures/blended learning, reduction in essential shops, curfews and enforcement of closures of work place such as construction as well as just general increase of durations of restrictions could all be done. We either done before or other countries have employed. 

I still think we will see a curfew introduced to try and clamp down on meetings in domestic settings. (Before the highly string get their knickers in a twist I’m not advocating for them but commenting on likliehood) 

Think we will get tougher restrictions but vaccine news will be used from behavioural purpose as light at end of tunnel and provide belief next set restrictions are short term.

I think you have it spot on there.I think the restrictions will last a good few months though.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Everything isn't shut. And that is where they have failed. Shops and supermarkets should be open on a 9 til 5 and that's it. No fecking about. And if it comes to it, the Spanish polis should be hired to deal with it. 

Despite what supermarkets say there social distancing is pish as well it's basically a free for all.For what it's worth I have no idea how they ensure folk follow what they want to happen.

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Feel like you want to piss on my chips😡

Seriously, seems to be the current view ref tier4.

School closures/blended learning, reduction in essential shops, curfews and enforcement of closures of work place such as construction as well as just general increase of durations of restrictions could all be done. We either done before or other countries have employed. 

I still think we will see a curfew introduced to try and clamp down on meetings in domestic settings. (Before the highly string get their knickers in a twist I’m not advocating for them but commenting on likliehood) 

Think we will get tougher restrictions but vaccine news will be used from behavioural purpose as light at end of tunnel and provide belief next set restrictions are short term.

Think you'll be right. I know your not advocating it, but if they bring in curfews that'll be the straw that breaks the camels back for me personally. Disagreed with a lot of the rest but went along with them anyway, curfews? Nope.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Despite what supermarkets say there social distancing is pish as well it's basically a free for all.For what it's worth I have no idea how they ensure folk follow what they want to happen.

During the first lockdown Tesco had a one way system in the aisles.

Not perfect but certainly not a free for all as it is now.

manaliveits105

The Fish’s expensive Parliament recall today was 100% to discuss Brexit deal over which they have no remit whatsoever - wind and pish party 

She might now mention vaccine to try and justify her arrogance 

17 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's a possibility that if they announced it before Thursday, loads of people would would let their guard down and meet up indoors for new year parties.

They've just announced it...

@Victorian

It's the approach that worked better with e.g. Yellow Fever.

Dose 1 is say, 70% effective, 2nd boosting up to say 95%.

So do you get everyone in a group up to 70%, or few at 95%?

Hence why delay dose 2 to 12 weeks rather than current 4 week assumption.

What I'm not sure of is whether it's a lack of vaccine or conversely more access that is leading to potential change in approach.

Edited by DETTY29

7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's the appriach that worked better with e.g. Yellow Fever.

Dose 1 is say,  70% effective, 2nd boosting up to say 95%.

So with vaccine capacity challenges, do you get everyone in a group up to 70%, or few at 95%?

It seems that what's been authorised is 2 doses but they'll be prioritising getting as many people as possible (within those they deem appropriate) first with the second dose up to 12 weeks later.

Not sure what the benefit of the second dose is, from what I just read, the second dose makes it 62% effective, down from 70% for the single dose 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edit: just found that article again, and it says there is unpublished data that shows a delay until the second dose increases its effectiveness.

It also states that all of the vaccines are expected to offer equal protection against the new strain. I'm not sure of that is meaning the others are less effective against the new strain and puts them on par with the Oxford on or if it means the Oxford one is more effective against the new strain and takes it up to the 90% area.

Edited by Taffin

14 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Supermarkets were fine back in the spring. Anyway, people need to think about others instead of where their next pint comes from. 

Just now, jonesy said:

So shove more people in to enclosed spaces during limited opening hours and hire mercenary thugs - I'm assuming you're talking about the Guardia Civil here - who were trained to be official state-sponsored oppressors under Franco and have never quite let go of that tag.

Brill.

No, I'm sure people can find away. Make an appointment for example and get what is needed for more than a day. 

If they batter through the most at risk from health conditions + over 65s (hopefully by end of Feb or sooner) then we'll start to see hospitalisations and deaths plummet.  The immediate term of the next two months will be exceptionally hellish for our poor healthcare workers but it wont last long.

14 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Apparently, suggesting the Armed forces be drafted in is tantamount to trolling🤣

Enzo 

never messaged anyone here before

tried you but said don't accept ???

Onhopefullyup

TW

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

@Victorian

It's the approach that worked better with e.g. Yellow Fever.

Dose 1 is say, 70% effective, 2nd boosting up to say 95%.

So do you get everyone in a group up to 70%, or few at 95%?

Hence why delay dose 2 to 12 weeks rather than current 4 week assumption.

What I'm not sure of is whether it's a lack of vaccine or conversely more access that is leading to potential change in approach.

I think to try to protect the maximum number of people over a term that's going to be very,  very rough.  An expedient way of relieving pressure on the hospitals.  There wont be a shortage of vaccine.

16 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

They've just announced it...

Playing DA, while the Brexit Bill will pass comfortably, politicians across all parties are going to have an awkward few days by voting against their original Brexit Deal position but especially the Govt who has been pissed all over in the negotiations by the EU.  So maybe approval has been announced today for a reason.

Or it's all conspiracy based crap.... 

;)

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Given it's mostly women that do the shopping, how bloody long will these appointments be? ;) 

🤣

Enjoy your NY jonesy, the vaccine is the way out and it's up to us now to make it as pain free as possible. 

Just now, DETTY29 said:

Playing DA, while the Brexit Bill will pass comfortably, politicians across parties are going to have an awkward few days by voting against their original Brexit Deal position but especially the Govt who has been pissed all over in the negotiations by the EU.  So maybe approval has been announced today for a reason.

Or it's all conspiracy based crap.... 

;)

I suppose there's something showing that it was officially approved this morning.   

Brexit is too big to be pushed aside by other news.   

The good thing is that we should be out of this mess soon and watching us next season, if not the end of this one.   Just enjoy this...

Has anyone seen the success rate for the Oxford vaccine? Read in the paper this morning that Pfeizer is 95% whilst the Oxford one was 62% effective (then 90% in a small sub trial when half the dose was given first..) 

62% isn’t exactly what I’d call convincing. I presume the smaller sub  trial must have been increased for it to get approved.

Mancock on GMTV saying we will be out of by the spring.

Hooray, that'll do me :peepwall:

Too excited to listen to his other bs.

Need to do 2m vaccines per week to achieve it. Frankly, he seemed oblivious to detail. I honestly don't know the guy is still in his position.

I will rewind to the start  interview again.

I will get fed up after the first couple of answers.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If they batter through the most at risk from health conditions + over 65s (hopefully by end of Feb or sooner) then we'll start to see hospitalisations and deaths plummet.  The immediate term of the next two months will be exceptionally hellish for our poor healthcare workers but it wont last long.

On 5L, vaccination centres really need to be open 24 hours in some parts of the country.

I'll take a 3am appt when my L9 time comes.

Although I'd hope my dad's L2 one is scheduled during the day.

24/7 vaccination centres are key to further this vaccine success. The whole population does not need to be vaccinated either. 50% should allow the UK to comfortably reopen as normal. But hopefully the population might have picked up a new attitude to life. 

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think to try to protect the maximum number of people over a term that's going to be very,  very rough.  An expedient way of relieving pressure on the hospitals.  There wont be a shortage of vaccine.

👍

I meant shortage at this particular moment in time.

19 minutes ago, Tommy Walker said:

Enzo 

never messaged anyone here before

tried you but said don't accept ???

Onhopefullyup

TW

TW

Not sure why that is. Will check later - maybe I need to delete old messages first??

Enzo

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

24/7 vaccination centres are key to further this vaccine success. The whole population does not need to be vaccinated either. 50% should allow the UK to comfortably reopen as normal. But hopefully the population might have picked up a new attitude to life. 

With my non professional opinion, yep we really need to have centres open for as long as possible, if it is logistically possibly.

But folk have to play their part too and work round what date and time is offered and not whinge their backsides off for what may be in the overall scheme of things, a minor inconvenience.

Edit - and employers not be dicks too.

Edited by DETTY29

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

TW

Not sure why that is. Will check later - maybe I need to delete old messages first??

Enzo

No idea too !

But then again I'm a 70yo f(Heart)

TW

They should just give everyone a single use hypodermic.  Everyone doing a Renton in Trainspotting.

All together now... oh it's such a perfect day... 

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

During the first lockdown Tesco had a one way system in the aisles.

Not perfect but certainly not a free for all as it is now.

Aye was better then and folk adhered to it but I don't think they do now.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic