Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It was.

'My message is tough, it's diffucult....'

Is 'tough' widely used outside of Scotland to explain how difficult something can be.

Yup.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, redjambo said:

Yup.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Yet a poster tried to make something out of it.

Not surprised.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/ministerial-statement-covid-19-update-december-30-2020

I can't make a clip for some reason but if you go to 16.12.00 you hear what she says.  This is in response to a question about impact on ambulance staff but also extended to wider New Year recommendations that she had previously provided as part of her opening statement to the SP which PfK, would be a page turning moment, but not here.

The context is that her message is (it's) tough, it's difficult... 

Just an adjective to describe what her message is......

I happened across the link, hadn’t got to the bit where she said it 👍🏽

44 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

It's appreciated that you should explain your thinking. i think you got it wrong though. I don't think luckydug's post was in any way inappropriate and certainly hadn't got to a new low. I don't think what he said was directed at people's anxieties around their loved ones in Care homes. I didn't see any reaction to it his post on that basis and didn't observe any back-tracking from him.

Ironically, my posts were about the anxieties of care home residents and their loved ones. Expressing my concern for these residents and the risk to their very existence has led to me being abused and you describing my posts as distasteful because i suggested that those who thought their relative was severely struggling in the home, could remove them from the institution. Some people have done just that but obviously for some this is not an option. In such a circumstance the resident and their relatives are bound by the rules of the home which are made on the basis of the wider need of all the residents. It's not much of a choice for some but it can't be any other way.

Just picked up on this. 

I didn't mean to offend anyone I just pointed out that not that long ago care homes were not an option for ordinary families, who had to look after relatives within the family. 

I probably should have said that residential care would still have been an option when home care was impossible due to dementia and certain other conditions. 

If I have offended anyone I'm sorry that was certainly not my intention. 

From now on I'm out of this thread. 

Weakened Offender
32 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/ministerial-statement-covid-19-update-december-30-2020

I can't make a clip for some reason but if you go to 16.12.00 you hear what she says.  This is in response to a question about impact on ambulance staff but also extended to wider New Year recommendations that she had previously provided as part of her opening statement to the SP which PfK, would be a page turning moment, but not here.

The context is that her message is (it's) tough, it's difficult... 

Just an adjective to describe what her message is......

You're wasting your time. He knew that anyway. 

3 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

It just sounded rather harsh to be honest and out of the Trump playbook of language.  Just surprised.  

Would you be repeatedly asking people like my neighbour to respect restrictions or being tougher on him when he is supposed to be self isolating and 4 days in a row hes had parties , police attend kick everyone out. Police leave they all return. I can hear him coughing from mine two houses away. Its giving his elderly neighbours a fear of going outside incase they bump into him or his mates or somrthing they have touched.

Maybe the harsher more direct approach is needed. Though I fear some it wont matter to them unless you took their drugs and drinks off them and even then......

Weakened Offender
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly.

:Shoosh:

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Would you be repeatedly asking people like my neighbour to respect restrictions or being tougher on him when he is supposed to be self isolating and 4 days in a row hes had parties , police attend kick everyone out. Police leave they all return. I can hear him coughing from mine two houses away. Its giving his elderly neighbours a fear of going outside incase they bump into him or his mates or somrthing they have touched.

Maybe the harsher more direct approach is needed. Though I fear some it wont matter to them unless you took their drugs and drinks off them and even then......

The police should be caving his ****ing head in. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, sadj said:

He’s probably one of the posters on this thread.

43 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Just picked up on this. 

I didn't mean to offend anyone I just pointed out that not that long ago care homes were not an option for ordinary families, who had to look after relatives within the family. 

I probably should have said that residential care would still have been an option when home care was impossible due to dementia and certain other conditions. 

Still going on about this ? Let it go . That’s what I do now . 

3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why would I be deflecting, I don't give a shit either way?

Maybe you're one of these zoomers that thinks everything and everyone is political and have some agenda. I'll leave you to it big stuff. 

Zoomer, big stuff. You're the man Capone. I ain't **** with you. No sir!

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

The police should be caving his ****ing head in. 

4 lol insane isnt it. Council tenant , 3houses in the village smashed all them to shreds broken into the neighbours houses yet no interest in getting him to **** for the mental wellbeing of the elderly residents. 2smashed front windows within 5days of it being fixed first time , three times police have put his door in now , this time its not been fixed since August. 

Thats before Corona restrictions ever hit so you can imagine the fun since restrictions came in , hes on tag yet still manages to be out and about at night.

53 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Probs , “just hear from the banter ken”... (deliberate spelling mistake) 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I wouldn't be surprised. 

I really hope the police cave his ****ing head in now. 😀

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Just picked up on this. 

I'm sorry your post was misinterpreted especially as it came on the back of my misinterpreted post. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Only because the usual trumpets abandoned you during the recent pile-on. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

He has let it go. Didn't you read his post? He was also apologising for something he didn't do. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I wouldn't be surprised. 

:lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's either a case of you selectively reading through the thread or you being a total arse. 

in your opinion which you are welcome to for which I don’t give one jot

Doctor FinnBarr
35 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I wouldn't be surprised. 

Who? I only ever look on the last page when I get in from Backs.

Too much reading otherwise.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
33 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'm sorry your post was misinterpreted especially as it came on the back of my misinterpreted post. 

luckydug has just re-worded his post to include a shred of empathy

no misinterpretation mate just very badly worded posts (deliberate or otherwise) given the situation

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

luckydug has just re-worded his post to include a shred of empathy

no misinterpretation mate just very badly worded posts (deliberate or otherwise) given the situation

Not a chance. I knew straight away what he meant and what he was alluding to and it was not as you describe. I also know that what you accuse him of is not his posting style. i know what words mean and there was no element that was badly worded imo. That's often the thing with words though, you can make them mean anything you want. No poster picked him up ridiculing the anxiety of relatives despite you suggesting that some did and indeed at least one was supportive of his comments.

If you can't tell whether the post was deliberately or inadvertently badly worded you might also consider the prospect that you are entirely mistaken in your interpretation of it.

That's enough for me though. I won't talk about another poster anymore.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, JyTees said:

Zoomer, big stuff. You're the man Capone. I ain't **** with you. No sir!

See, we can agree on some things. 

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Only because the usual trumpets abandoned you during the recent pile-on. 

Like I said I couldn’t give a didly squat about some people’s opinions on this regarding my posts . I let it wash over me 

Doctor FinnBarr

My employer, a company who likes you to "buy a little, a lot" has issued me a letter stating that as I've had 3 Covid absences any further one will be treated as a normal absence and subject to normal company rules re absence.

First one was in April when the wife showed symptoms of Covid ( no one had any real idea TBH) but 14 days isolation (paid), 3rd one was just last month when my temp shot up at work (I work in a chill) and was sent home. Got tested at the airport same night, 2 days for a negative result so 3 days (paid). But my big bugbear is number 2, travelled to Turkey before it got put on the "naughty step" but we were there when it did, impossible to get flights back to beat quarantine but they refused to pay me  because I'd travelled to a "risky country".

My union USDAW are up in arms as this has all happened without consultation.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Companies won't pay for ever. However; if they've not consulted & changed the t&c's of employee's contracts to reflect the change in sick pay, then then Union rightly should take them to the cleaners & make a big enough fuss, that it could go to the media.

There was Government advice (slight warnings) stated in the height of it all, that employee's shouldn't be disadvantaged by their employer for things outwith their control. Even MP's were asking for any personnel concerned, if a company were taking the piss, to contact them.

I'm not a massive fan of most Union reps. But if yours are on the ball, then the company will have to honour what's gone before. Not what's made up on a whim.

Well they paid everyone a few months before when Spain was put onto the naughty step but not me! They also paid East European office staff who travelled home to countries that were already on the quarantine list and gave them full wages to work from home. Pissed off to say the least, cost me nearly a grand.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Not a chance. I knew straight away what he meant and what he was alluding to and it was not as you describe. I also know that what you accuse him of is not his posting style. i know what words mean and there was no element that was badly worded imo. That's often the thing with words though, you can make them mean anything you want. No poster picked him up ridiculing the anxiety of relatives despite you suggesting that some did and indeed at least one was supportive of his comments.

If you can't tell whether the post was deliberately or inadvertently badly worded you might also consider the prospect that you are entirely mistaken in your interpretation of it.

That's enough for me though. I won't talk about another poster anymore.

i emphasised it was in my opinion that inherently means I’m not stating it as fact - do you understand the context of that with regards to your post I’ve just quoted ?

also if you re-read your post you are saying stuff like “I knew straight away ...” “what he was alluding to” etc - anything in those words where you’re accepting you may be wrong?

you presumed wrongly I was referring to your post in the first place so it might be worth you bearing that in mind amongst the definites like “I knew straight away .. “

like you there’s not much more to say on this from me 

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My employer, a company who likes you to "buy a little, a lot" has issued me a letter stating that as I've had 3 Covid absences any further one will be treated as a normal absence and subject to normal company rules re absence.

First one was in April when the wife showed symptoms of Covid ( no one had any real idea TBH) but 14 days isolation (paid), 3rd one was just last month when my temp shot up at work (I work in a chill) and was sent home. Got tested at the airport same night, 2 days for a negative result so 3 days (paid). But my big bugbear is number 2, travelled to Turkey before it got put on the "naughty step" but we were there when it did, impossible to get flights back to beat quarantine but they refused to pay me  because I'd travelled to a "risky country".

Probably depends if they put out any communication about it. 

A family member of mine works for a large financial services firm in Edinburgh. They were told back in the summer if you go abroad on holiday and end up having to self isolate when you get back, the time missed will be taken from your annual holiday allowance. Basically, telling them if you go abroad on holiday it is at your own risk. 

9 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

Is that no over a few days ?  or are you scaremongering ?  Never you surely ?

I just seen it come up. And I said to masel. 'Fecking Hell' but it's OK, they all died over a couple of days. 👍 Thanks for correcting me. 

What's with the scaremongering remark, BTW? I've only ever wanted people to be safe and think of others safety. The evidence of covid is there to see, no one has to exaggerate anything, except the Covid deniers, so they can kid on the laws of this country permit them to do as they please and the government and administrations are somehow an  impediment to their free will. They're not, people can do as they please, as long as they don't endanger, abuse or intrude in others lives. 

Anyway, the vaccine is here which is great(as long as I don't read up on the damn thing) so let's get on with fixing the world, back to its unbroken self. 👍 HNY when it comes. 

Edited by ri Alban

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Well they paid everyone a few months before when Spain was put onto the naughty step but not me! They also paid East European office staff who travelled home to countries that were already on the quarantine list and gave them full wages to work from home. Pissed off to say the least, cost me nearly a grand.

30 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

A family member of mine works for a large financial services firm in Edinburgh. They were told back in the summer if you go abroad on holiday and end up having to self isolate when you get back, the time missed will be taken from your annual holiday allowance. Basically, telling them if you go abroad on holiday it is at your own risk. 

No comunication whatsoever

4 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

I work in financial services too and think we also got that steer from the company.  However most can work from home so you could still work while self isolating/quarantined.

joondalupjambo

Just read back over the last few pages to catch up and only found a couple of posts in relation to the vaccine and none about the actual roll out.  I watched Boris last night and I was sure it was another change in tactics in relation to the roll out of the jabs which appears to be significant.  I was under the impression that the expensive jabs were being given once and then a second dose 4 weeks later.  I was also under the impression that when the cheaper Oxford one was released for use that the same process was to be followed.  

Last night though Boris stated that the roll out was now to be the Oxford one and that one full dose jab was going to be followed by the second 12 weeks later which is a big change. JVT then explained in detail that the protection from that first jab would kick in around 10 to 14 days in.  This is a big change in tactics in terms of timing.  We have no Oxford vaccines available as of today and again JVT explained the process in relation to how they would be released to the UK, not straightforward with sign off, acquiring stock, transportation, roll out etc. all having to be considered but both Boris and the third dude said they hoped to start jabbing with this week commencing 4th January.  JVT also confirmed that although the Oxford jab could protect folk after the full 14 days he said that they still did not know if it would stop transmission and if it was going to work in relation to the second, new strain.

So assuming I picked up most of these points correctly, help me if any of the above is not 100% then the reality is how will be out of this as quickly as is being stated by the politicians, i.e. April.   If we have no Oxford vaccines in bulk ready, we have no actual plan in place to roll it out, we have NHS staff being over run in some areas who will need help and so limited resources, we are doubling dosing with a 12 week gap, we do not know if it stops transmission, we do not know if it will work in relation to the second strain but we have pollies telling us it is fantastic news what is the reality here in terms to an out?

Also is it just the reality that we will not get enough dozes of the cheaper vaccine and this is going to be well into 2021 before we see real progress?

I do not usually like that JVT boy but last night I thought it was his best performance and I gave him MOM award because of how he explained it all when answering the media's questions.  I could easily jump on the yippee band wagon and say the vaccine is here but I honestly thought JVT was trying to tell us something last night.  

20 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

The U.K. and pretty much every country waived liability against the pharmaceucals, nothing sinister about it, it’s because they have been asked to compress their guidelines to get this done.

It would appear it started in the USA in 1986

https://trello.com/c/gav9GMPD/26-1986-law-absolving-vaccine-manufacturers-from-liability

Edited by Tommy Walker
ignorance

Nucky Thompson
10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He sounds like your typical hobo. Hibs class

Nucky Thompson
10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

DP

Edited by Nucky Thompson

If that was my neighbour doing what was said then I would be escalating it with the officers' inspector and my MSP and anyone else.  The boy should be locked up.

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

There's a lot of people taking the piss and using covid as an excuse for skiving.

There's a boy at my mates work who is constantly 'self isolating' and picking up his wages.

He's a bevy merchant and his mates are always round for a 'smoke' and a drink.

All his work mates are raging as they have to do his work for no extra money.

When this is all over, my mate reckons he'll be out the door. 

The boss doesn't want to sack him now because it looks bad

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Reading that, there is a lot I think you have maybe misinterpreted stuff. 

Anyway a few key points 

There are 4M doses in the U.K. or way to locations in the U.K., to enable commencement on Monday. Whilst there is manufacturing based in U.K. to produce the doses as well as a number of EU countries. Now that it’s approved it will be ramped up.   

The U.K. currently has 100M doses on order, which is sufficient vaccinate all who will need. No plan to vaccinate under 18’s. 

There is a degree confidence that it will stop onward transmission. However, the truth is we won’t know until it’s put into mass use, however, even if doesn’t stop onward transmission, it’s not a reason to stop. It still has a massive impact as people won’t get ill.

The regulators, developers and scientists have a fairly strong belief that the virus will work with the wild strain. It’s been impossible to test to the newness of the wild strain.  The evidence points to it working though. 

How we get out this by April.? The disease, including the wild strain, does not impact everyone the same way. Anyone under 50 is at very low risk. Therefore once you have vaccinated the vulnerable/high risk, you are taking the pressure of NHS. People will still get ill but in the vast majority will shrug it off. 

This will not be a light switch in terms of return to normality it will be a gradual loosening of restrictions and return, Things like face mask and social distancing may remain for a long time. 

To Vaccinate the numbers in the timescales, we are looking to is a massive challenge and unknowns remain but whatever way you look at it, it is a massive step forward in returning to some normality 

Think there is a strong note of cautious from govts at the moment as they know the shit storm coming the next few weeks/months from current rates. I see London can’t cope now with cases. 

I disagree regarding ongoing restrictions in terms of social distancing, masks etc. In practice, the human race has to readapt quickly to social norms. To settle in to a new, risk averse, fear riven normal would be far more dangerous than Covid. The measures were introduced on a temporary basis to protect the vulnerable and the NHS. Once they are vaccinated, we have to metaphorically and literally rip the masks off and start living again. The risk of Covid to the vast majority of the population is no worse than various other debilitating illnesses that also have short,  medium and long term effects. Those who disagree are, of course,  free to distance, mask up , self isolate as they wish.

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

No comunication whatsoever

I think ultimately your employer is not under any legal, or contractual obligation to pay you for days you don’t work. Except in very clearly defined circumstances outlined in your contract (sick pay, annual leave, maternity leave etc). 

From that perspective it really is at the company’s discretion if they want to pay you for the time you were self isolating or not.

The fact they have not communicated this well to staff may give the union a bit of leverage to get them to do it as a good will gesture.  

10 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I think ultimately your employer is not under any legal, or contractual obligation to pay you for days you don’t work. Except in very clearly defined circumstances outlined in your contract (sick pay, annual leave, maternity leave etc). 

From that perspective it really is at the company’s discretion if they want to pay you for the time you were self isolating or not.

The fact they have not communicated this well to staff may give the union a bit of leverage to get them to do it as a good will gesture.

Choosing to go abroad during a pandemic and he wonders why he doesn't get paid. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I disagree regarding ongoing restrictions in terms of social distancing, masks etc. In practice, the human race has to readapt quickly to social norms. To settle in to a new, risk averse, fear riven normal would be far more dangerous than Covid. The measures were introduced on a temporary basis to protect the vulnerable and the NHS. Once they are vaccinated, we have to metaphorically and literally rip the masks off and start living again. The risk of Covid to the vast majority of the population is no worse than various other debilitating illnesses that also have short,  medium and long term effects. Those who disagree are, of course,  free to distance, mask up , self isolate as they wish.

You're wrong and putting the cart before the horse.  You want a kind of normality to return and there's nothing wrong with that.  But we'll all get our normality back after the virus has been driven to very low levels.  Vaccinations alone will never be sufficient to do it.  Vaccinations will eliminate the bulk of virus but only a period of further suppression will finish the job.  The last thing we need is a sufficiently large enough reservoir of virus continuing to circulate.  It presents a real threat of future,  vaccine escaping strains coming along.

Normality.. yes.  Instantaneous normality.. no.  Demanding instant normality jeopardises any normality.

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You want a kind of normality to return and there's nothing wrong with that.  

Thanks for clearing that up. 

29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck with that. Almost a year of scaremongering has created a significant number of folk who will be wearing masks for years to come.

No chance imo. Maybe for a bit but by this time next year the masks will be in the bin. 

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Almost a year of scaremongering has created a significant number of folk who will be wearing masks for years to come.

... And advocating continued restrictions. 

I worry about where it will end, Jonesy. Restrictions for this, restrictions for that. It's all for your own good you know. 🤷‍♂️

Well worth looking into this they are giving out £300 for staying in on New Years Eve if you register and they can track you for the holiday period 

UK.GOV 
Stay In Help Out Scheme.
£300 Stay In Help Out Scheme Reward for all who stay indoors.
Fill out form below.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
https://external-preview.redd.it/vxPXEGgL4v8mCGw06IFGsmJNtqWQg-z60xQQ79dHKPY.jpg?auto=webp&s=db7685262e9b352a4888e547f52a244e2ea2cb9f

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

... And advocating continued restrictions. 

I worry about where it will end, Jonesy. Restrictions for this, restrictions for that. It's all for your own good you know. 🤷‍♂️

"You should stay inside your house, it's dangerous outside"...oh wait, that one is here already 😂

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic