Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes but there were rumours about the “ heart attack “ as he was against the Iraq invasion sorry “ war “ 

It was a very iffy story. The two hikers who 'helped' him and then disappeared. Rumours about his wife at the time too. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least 2, and then 30 seconds later, 2 -3 months of vaccine programme before we can safely say whether or not the vaccine stops onward transmissions. Van Tam.

Earlier today Dr. Chris Smith said well into summer before a sense of normality even with a successful vaccination programme.

This shouldn't need to be drawn out by questioning from reporters at press conferences but told up front.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

A very good point.

It seems most construction companies have their office staff safely working from home whilst site operatives can travel together in vans to busy sites.

I've firmly believed that contractors travelling to sites around the country has been a significant cause of spread.  There isthen the lag before the numbers start to rise in those outlying areas.  Not sure we'll ever find out though.  just my opinion based on travelling round the country a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Which makes the statement 'that it hardly kills anybody', which was pushed by some on here a few months ago, look all the more stupid.

99.9 % of the population wont be killed by it.  So it is right it hardly kills anybody. 

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Selfish, ignorant and belligerent.

10K € fines in Tenerife for not donning a 25 cent mask, yes, you've guessed correctly, they didn't collect many fines from Canarians, the Brits on the other hand...easy meat. :munny:

Quite right to fine them.  Most of the " ex pats" sorry immigrants i have had the misfortune to meet  have been an insular / Brit centirc bunch .  Most are heavy drinkers and smokers too.  Dont get me started on their diet. 

Weakened Offender
18 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

his posts frankly the lowest this forum has hit in my opinion

That's either a case of you selectively reading through the thread or you being a total arse. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

981 deaths in the UK. Fecking hell! 

Is that no over a few days ?  or are you scaremongering ?  Never you surely ?

14 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

At least 2, and then 30 seconds later, 2 -3 months of vaccine programme before we can safely say whether or not the vaccine stops onward transmissions. Van Tam.

Earlier today Dr. Chris Smith said well into summer before a sense of normality even with a successful vaccination programme.

This shouldn't need to be drawn out by questioning from reporters at press conferences but told up front.

An interesting bit of info to handle.

If from what they've seen so far they suspect that onward transmission will be reduced,  but not vastly reduced or prevented,  perhaps the scientists would be wary about putting too much emphasis on this.  If people get the idea that onward transmission will be prevented,  they might tend to drop their guard on best practice after being vaccinated.  Not only will a small percentage not acquire immunity themselves but a false assumption of not being infectious will lead to problems.  The misunderstanding of information,  complicated for some,  could be worse than information being kept quiet.

Nucky Thompson

I really like that J-V-T boy. Always gives a clear answer to every question

Edited by Nucky Thompson

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I really like that J-V-T boy. Always give a clear answer to every question

Yes he is very good.  Really good at explaining things in plain language.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I really like that J-V-T boy. Always gives a clear answer to every question

He's the only one that does that.

Glad Whitty and Vallance got the day off. They sound like a pair of wet lettuces

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He's the only one that does that.

Glad Whitty and Vallance got the day off. They sound like a pair of wet lettuces

Smith and Steedman are clear up here too.

Jeanne Freeman sticking by that all over 50s in Scotland vaccinated by 'spring'

I'd just like to know what that means.  My assumption is first jag and when is spring end, 31 May?

I cant remember earlier if it was Nick Eardley from BBC or Matt Hancock that said dose 1 likely to be 80% effective, which is a big jump on previously reported, but wxcelkent news.

BBC News - Freeman: 'We're on track to vaccinate all over 50s by spring' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55488556

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Hope not, or we've still about 580,000 UK deaths to come!

1% of those who catch covid will die from it, not 1% of the population, well that's the way I'm reading it.

The COVID infection fatality ratio is around 1% in high-income countries

manaliveits105
24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes he is very good.  Really good at explaining things in plain language.

The Jason Leitch without the showbiz 

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

1% of those who catch covid will die from it, not 1% of the population, well that's the way I'm reading it.

The COVID infection fatality ratio is around 1% in high-income countries

Yes. That's not what people are saying when they say 'hardly anyone dies from it' though.

If I said, hardly anyone in the UK dies being killed by an axe, would you look up how many people upon being hit by an axe go on to die, or just how many people are killed by an axe?

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Yes. That's not what people are saying when they say 'hardly anyone dies from it' though.

If I said, hardly anyone in the UK dies being killed by an axe, would you look up how many people upon being hit by an axe go on to die, or just how many people are killed by an axe?

👍

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

Possibly but remember many people who have covid haven't even had any symptoms so their lack of presence skewers the mortality rate. 

Maybe the 1% figure is based upon the cases they do know about.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maybe the 1% figure is based upon the cases they do know about.

They obviously cant know about everyone infected by CV.  The point is it has a very low mortality rate .  

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You have to read this in the context of a few months back, when deaths were very low, a dozen or so or less daily.

At the time when this was said the posters were told to wait as deaths would increase as the infection rate increased, and that's where we find ourselves today.

2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

They obviously cant know about everyone infected by CV.  The point is it has a very low mortality rate .  

And nobody has said anything different, however I believe it to be higher than 00.1%, but that's just my opinion, equally you are of the opinion that it is 00.1%, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

" My message for new year is TOUGH"... Yes thats what I just heard Sturgeon saying regarding Hogmanay restrictions and not breaching them. What king of  language is that  to use ? . Hardly conciliatory , peaceful and respectful to the vast majority of the compliant population.    Shes decking awful.  

And nobody has said anything different, however I believe it to be higher than 00.1%, but that's just my opinion, equally you are of the opinion that it is 00.1%, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yea  thats fine. 

You have to read this in the context of a few months back, when deaths were very low, a dozen or so or less daily.

At the time when this was said the posters were told to wait as deaths would increase as the infection rate increased, and that's where we find ourselves today.

I don't dispute that, and it's certainly moving in a concerning direction, I think it's still fair to say hardly anyone dies from it though, when 99.9% of people, haven't. That's not to diminish that it's terribly sad for those that do and their loved ones. I feel the same way about the other people who die everyday too.

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

" My message for new year is TOUGH"... Yes thats what I just heard Sturgeon saying regarding Hogmanay restrictions and not breaching them. What king of  language is that  to use ? . Hardly conciliatory , peaceful and respectful to the vast majority of the compliant population.    Shes decking awful.  

Don't like it? 

TOUGH 😉

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

It's about time.  The problem section in society don't respond to being respected.  So why bother?  Maybe it is time to be more direct.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's about time.  The problem section in society don't respond to being respected.  So why bother?  Maybe it is time to be more direct.

:greatpost:

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It just sounded rather harsh to be honest and out of the Trump playbook of language.  Just surprised.  

AlphonseCapone
5 hours ago, JyTees said:

Air travel is devolved. Please explain, instead of deflecting.

Why would I be deflecting, I don't give a shit either way?

Maybe you're one of these zoomers that thinks everything and everyone is political and have some agenda. I'll leave you to it big stuff. 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

I heard that too, but i think she was turning the page and carried on to say “measures are required to control the virus” or something akin to that. Can’t find it on catch up to see for certain what was said. 

2 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

99.9 % of the population wont be killed by it.  So it is right it hardly kills anybody. 

99.9% of the UK population weren't killed in WW2. Nothing to see then, move along.

It's a funny thing, scale.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

99.9% of the UK population weren't killed in WW2. Nothing to see then, move along.

It's a funny thing, scale.

Even less would have died if Sturgeon hadn't invaded Poland.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ireland going back into yet another full lockdown for a month, how many times is that now, 3 or 4?

https://news.sky.com/story/ireland-returns-to-full-lockdown-for-at-least-a-month-with-prime-minister-warning-of-extremely-serious-situation-12175864

I watched a bit of Mihael Martin and was very disappointed he didn't use the term 'British Strain' 

Edit - to be clear, not being serious.

Edited by DETTY29

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I watched a bit of Mihael Martin and was very disappointed he didn't use the term 'British Strain' 

Edit - to be clear, not being serious.

Probably just as well Trumpy boy is too busy playing golf to give pressers, as he'd probably call it the 'Soho Flu'.  :laugh:

21 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

scroll back a few pages to see his response to people’s personal anxieties about loved-ones in care homes

his posts frankly the lowest this forum has hit in my opinion

there was some back-tracking of course after he was called-out by several posters

18 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

actually Doug it wasn’t about you so you presume wrongly - it was about luckydug and as stated in my post : in my opinion

it was after your posts and subsequent to the understandable emotional reply you received from the poster who is currently in a next-to impossible situation with their loved-one (I’m sure a very difficult situation repeated throughout the country)

in my opinion your posts were distasteful (the inference that loved-ones could just be removed from homes in particular) at best but what made luckydugs much worse in my opinion was that it came subsequent to the other posters emotional reply to you

”outraged” - not me - just calmly stating an opinion - nothing more nothing less

It's appreciated that you should explain your thinking. i think you got it wrong though. I don't think luckydug's post was in any way inappropriate and certainly hadn't got to a new low. I don't think what he said was directed at people's anxieties around their loved ones in Care homes. I didn't see any reaction to it his post on that basis and didn't observe any back-tracking from him.

Ironically, my posts were about the anxieties of care home residents and their loved ones. Expressing my concern for these residents and the risk to their very existence has led to me being abused and you describing my posts as distasteful because i suggested that those who thought their relative was severely struggling in the home, could remove them from the institution. Some people have done just that but obviously for some this is not an option. In such a circumstance the resident and their relatives are bound by the rules of the home which are made on the basis of the wider need of all the residents. It's not much of a choice for some but it can't be any other way.

I heard that but thought she meant tough to hear rather than just tough

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I heard that too, but i think she was turning the page and carried on to say “measures are required to control the virus” or something akin to that. Can’t find it on catch up to see for certain what was said. 

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/ministerial-statement-covid-19-update-december-30-2020

I can't make a clip for some reason but if you go to 16.12.00 you hear what she says.  This is in response to a question about impact on ambulance staff but also extended to wider New Year recommendations that she had previously provided as part of her opening statement to the SP which PfK, would be a page turning moment, but not here.

The context is that her message is (it's) tough, it's difficult... 

Just an adjective to describe what her message is......

Edited by DETTY29

10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I heard that but thought she meant tough to hear rather than just tough

It was.

'My message is tough, it's diffucult....'

Is 'tough' widely used outside of Scotland to explain how difficult something can be.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic