Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Apparently fastest rising demographic is 11-18 year old demographic. 

Which is very surprising as they’re barely a couple of weeks out their lockdown, but schools were open during it, 

I wonder if we will start seeing online learning for high schools here. 

Mmmm, does seem a strange one, maybe some places are now open that were closed where this age group hang out.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps Swinney's cancellation of Highers was a pre-emptive move?

Just what I was thinking.  Could be they prefer to close the schools but were waiting until the circumstances validated it.  

Just now, jonesy said:

Harsh for anyone who booked a holiday to escape this dark, frozen hellhole.

I think the Canaries are quite popular as a Christmas break.

46 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

She really is a horrible *****. But I think the pressure is mounting now and she has almost no choice to lower us to tier 2, you’d think. 

Shes certainly getting it tight from various areas about the tier fiasco this week.  But she is that brass necked and stubborn irrespective if the stats are good next week she wont move us down a level.  its called power mad and egomania. She has had a real sniff of power with having control of the devolved issue of Health and just cant let it go at all.  

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Shes certainly getting it tight from various areas about the tier fiasco this week.  But she is that brass necked and stubborn irrespective if the stats are good next week she wont move us down a level.  its called power mad and egomania. She has had a real sniff of power with having control of the devolved issue of Health and just cant let it go at all.  

Will be hard for her to get used to not having her briefings. May well need counselling when she see's full stadiums and pubs again.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Harsh for anyone who booked a holiday to escape this dark, frozen hellhole.

Like me you mean 🙄🙄

Least I’ve no had my £80 test yet. 
Friends are over there at the moment 

I thought with you needing a negative test to go things would be ok over there 

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Will be hard for her to get used to not having her briefings. May well need counselling when she see's full stadiums and pubs again.

Yes she might have to start working again 

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

I've had covid for the last 3 weeks, feeling absolutely horrible. 

Really wish it would just feck right off!!!

To this day i still do not know one person who has had Covid. Pretty strange.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

I've had covid for the last 3 weeks, feeling absolutely horrible. 

Really wish it would just feck right off!!!

Sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon. 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Gulpener said:

I believe that is only for England at the moment.

No doubt Nicola will be on tomorrow saying it will be 8 days for us Scots just to be different :thumbsup:

Letting students onto campus was as shambolic as the care home fiasco.Could have been in a very different position just now.All governance in the UK has been an absolute disgrace this year,whether it be be down to money for pals or cementing a dictatorial coven.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Holy mackerel! Is this pun thing still going?

Yes , atroutcious isnt it , tbf we are a dab hand at it but we whaley need to stop

5 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

To this day i still do not know one person who has had Covid. Pretty strange.

I know quite a few just locally and that is in a small town. I know a lot more if you include the city

Edited by sadj

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

I know quite a few and that is in a small town

Knew nobody in the first wave but know a few now. Thankfully all been fine. 

@scottishguy hope you feel better soon. 

Edited by GinRummy

Only know a couple of folk that have it and they recovered fairly quickly. One in his 60s and another in his 40s. 

Just watching STV news and reporter asking people in Glasgow about the restrictions easing tomorrow .  One guy said ""naw its too early . keep us locked down till March"....ffs....some people have really bought into the fear factor..

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You really, truly, have been brainwashed by group think. Very troubling and you have my sympathy. 

It's a cult. 

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just watching STV news and reporter asking people in Glasgow about the restrictions easing tomorrow .  One guy said ""naw its too early . keep us locked down till March"....ffs....some people have really bought into the fear factor..

Nope.  Just a rare example of opinion from the usually silent,  long term minded majority who can tolerate a few more months of this with an end in sight.  We'll see much more of this as time goes on.  The prevalent narrative will become dominated by a determination to bear one final push towards the end.  The noisy minority will become marginalised with an ever diminishing relevance.  The tide is about to turn.

Cheers.

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nope.  Just a rare example of opinion from the usually silent,  long term minded majority who can tolerate a few more months of this with an end in sight.  We'll see much more of this as time goes on.  The prevalent narrative will become dominated by a determination to bear one final push towards the end.  The noisy minority will become marginalised with an ever diminishing relevance.  The tide is about to turn.

Cheers.

The guys point is true though it is too early for Glasgow. If Edinburgh is still Tier 3 why the **** is Glasgow with stats nowhere near us. Yet another mistake by the SG promising to lift Tier 4 by 11th no matter what.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The guys point is true though. If Edinburgh is still Tier 3 why the **** is Glasgow with stats nowhere near us. Yet another mistake by the SG promising to lift Tier 4 by 11th no matter what.

People will continue to argue about tiers for a while yet but it will diminish as time goes on.  The nearer we get to spring,  the more people will begin to look forward to a future of the virus no longer dominating their every move and activity.  Those howling on about restrictions will become less and less relevant as every week passes.  Because the beginning of the recovery + less virus will be closer.

9 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The guys point is true though it is too early for Glasgow. If Edinburgh is still Tier 3 why the **** is Glasgow with stats nowhere near us. Yet another mistake by the SG promising to lift Tier 4 by 11th no matter what.

The setting of tiers and restrictions involves a constant fight against the public and public opinion (not all of them, of course, but many of them). They were forced into giving the Tier 4's a 3-week limit because they didn't think the public would accept otherwise, imo.

12 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

They will lose the compliance of folk in Edinburgh.  People are waking up and seeing that the shite tier system isn’t being implemented fairly. 

You lose people’s buy in when it doesn’t make any sense. 

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Review/announcement Tuesday but they would change on the 18 Dec

Thanks - if East Lothian goes into Tier 3 that’s my 40th proper buggered.  The nice romantic meal I had planned will be ruined because my wife and I having a glass of wine with dinner rather than a soft drink is likely to increase the danger of Covid.  

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

They will lose the compliance of folk in Edinburgh.  People are waking up and seeing that the shite tier system isn’t being implemented fairly. 

You lose people’s buy in when it doesn’t make any sense. 

Reducing compliance will only result in an increased transmission and case rate. Effectively cutting off your nose to spite your face, if that's the reaction to Edinburgh not being moved down a tier on Tuesday. In fact, if the case rate goes up, there's no chance Edinburgh will go down a tier. Seems a stupid reaction to me.

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Thanks - if East Lothian goes into Tier 3 that’s my 40th proper buggered.  The nice romantic meal I had planned will be ruined because my wife and I having a glass of wine with dinner rather than a soft drink is likely to increase the danger of Covid.  

Can you not put off the romantic meal for a couple of months? Do something at home in the meantime, but have the major meal later on?

Brighton Jambo
20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cheers.

Sorry but the idea that there is majority of people who want the current level of restriction to continue in Glasgow given we have been under tougher restrictions since early October is a complete fallacy.    Absolutely no way is that the case from almost literally every one I talk to from fellow parents to friends.  There may be some more elderly or vulnerable people who think that but no way a majority.  Other parts of Scotland maybe but not here in the west.  

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Can you not put off the romantic meal for a couple of months? Do something at home in the meantime, but have the major meal later on?

We were due to be away overseas - cancelled that.  We were due to have a party with friends - cancelled that.  We are over at my parents for Xmas so a romantic meal in the house involves my mum and dad and two young kids!  We had really hoped to escape just for a few hours!!! 

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

We were due to be away overseas - cancelled that.  We were due to have a party with friends - cancelled that.  We are over at my parents for Xmas so a romantic meal in the house involves my mum and dad and two young kids!  We had really hoped to escape just for a few hours!!! 

I know. It's truly awful that we are being forced to make sacrifices in order to try to suppress this deadly virus.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Reducing compliance will only result in an increased transmission and case rate. Effectively cutting off your nose to spite your face, if that's the reaction to Edinburgh not being moved down a tier on Tuesday. In fact, if the case rate goes up, there's no chance Edinburgh will go down a tier. Seems a stupid reaction to me.

Its a stupid reaction but it will be the reaction.

case numbers are going to rise across the country anyway with the government sanctioned household mixing at Christmas.  Be a bump in cases / deaths.  

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Sorry but the idea that there is majority of people who want the current level of restriction to continue in Glasgow given we have been under tougher restrictions since early October is a complete fallacy.    Absolutely no way is that the case from almost literally every one I talk to from fellow parents to friends.  There may be some more elderly or vulnerable people who think that but no way a majority.  Other parts of Scotland maybe but not here in the west.  

It will be a moot point soon enough.  You'll see it play out.  The narrative will become more dominated by a sense of the end being near and a finsl push towards it.  

Just now, Shanks said:

Its a stupid reaction but it will be the reaction.

case numbers are going to rise across the country anyway with the government sanctioned household mixing at Christmas.  Be a bump in cases / deaths.  

There probably will, indeed. Another example where the government was forced because of public opinion to implement something that it didn't really want to. We're our own worst enemies sometimes.

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know. It's truly awful that we are being forced to make sacrifices in order to try to suppress this deadly virus.

Don’t give me your sarcastic sh@te.  I have no problem making sacrifices as like all people I have done all year.  My point is why I can have meal in a restaurant in the hotel with my wife but due to some arbitrary tiers I can have a glass of wine with it one day and not the next.  It’s absolute nonsense and that’s what I am complaining about not making sacrifices.  The tier system is a shambles. 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You have become a right preachy nelly on this thread. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cheers.

well you would say that wouldn't you....not at all surprised...

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

You have become right preachy bitch on this thread. 

Yep, another one who can't resist putting boot in with condescending comments. 

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

Don’t give me your sarcastic sh@te.  I have no problem making sacrifices as like all people I have done all year.  My point is why I can have meal in a restaurant in the hotel with my wife but due to some arbitrary tiers I can have a glass of wine with it one day and not the next.  It’s absolute nonsense and that’s what I am complaining about not making sacrifices.  The tier system is a shambles. 

A specific dispute you have with the ability/inability to drink alcohol with a meal between tiers does not mean that the whole tier system is a shambles. I agree that limited alcoholic drinks should be able to be served with food in hospitality in tier 3 and that it's nonsense that they can't be.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You have become a right preachy nelly on this thread. 

Whatever. It kind of annoys me though that folk are complaining about the sacrifice of not being able to drink a glass of wine when we're in the middle of a deadly pandemic. Folk are so entitled nowadays. And I will continue to express that view from time to time, even though it attracts opprobrium.

Love, Nelly

On 09/12/2020 at 17:21, OmiyaHearts said:

I can only go on personal experience but just about ever friend I have that has kids - has had positive cases in their homes. The people I know who don't, haven't had any.

To counter that, I have kids and I, and all the people I know with kids, haven't had a positive case in our house. My missus also works in a special needs school and they haven't had any cases either. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There probably will, indeed. Another example where the government was forced because of public opinion to implement something that it didn't really want to. We're our own worst enemies sometimes.

I would actually rather the government didn’t implement these Christmas household mixing rules.  You’ve now got people like my gran thinking that it’s safe for me to go spend Christmas with her because the government have said we can mix. 

These government Christmas rules will directly cause people to die - that’s a fact.  

Just one of the reasons I have lost all faith in the governments leadership in this pandemic. 

15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

He has absolutely no sympathy of empathy with anyone who has been affected by the restrictions and furlough. He would happily have us on full lockdown until March/ April. No wonder he appears to get abuse at work if he is anything like his Jambos kickback persona.  

Just now, Shanks said:

I would actually rather the government didn’t implement these Christmas household mixing rules.  You’ve now got people like my gran thinking that it’s safe for me to go spend Christmas with her because the government have said we can mix. 

These government Christmas rules will directly cause people to die - that’s a fact.  

Just one of the reasons I have lost all faith in the governments leadership in this pandemic. 

Just think of the reaction if they hadn't allowed limited mixing though. @jonesy is correct - human nature means that a large number of people would have done so anyway. The Government had to find some sort of middle ground where they said "Ok, ok, you can do it, but here's a way of making it safer". They really are caught between a rock and a hard place with some of the decisions that they have to make.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A specific dispute you have with the ability/inability to drink alcohol with a meal between tiers does not mean that the whole tier system is a shambles. I agree that limited alcoholic drinks should be able to be served with food in hospitality in tier 3 and that it's nonsense that they can't be.

Its not really about that isnt it.  He wants to celebrate his 40th birthday on the actual day of his birthday . Thats perfectly reasonable.  That moment will be lost for him and his Mrs.  There have been so many of those moments lost in the last 9 months.  

53 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It's a cult. 

The Cult O’ Scotland , pay yer poonderooni’s and join us on spaceship Scotland as we prepare to escape the apocalypse of a Tory government 😇

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic