Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pubs can open now in tier 3 for food only, seemed weird to see the Grovesnor at Shandwick Place open yesterday. Gove said today hospitality won’t be open at Xmas, he didn’t expand on that though. Can you imagine the carnage if they opened pubs properly for 5 days? 

Please explain how opening pubs is going to cause a problem?  If you think pubs can survive on food sales alone you are kidding yourself.

You seem totally ignorant to the fact that closing hospitality is driving groups to gather in unregulated environments, be it house parties and more recently outside pubs for takeaway pints.  I've witnessed the latter first hand, and it looks like its linked to keeping Universities open as the students don't give a ****.

Its a complete shitshow by the Scottish Government who are too pig-headed to admit their short-sightedness and strategic planning is a shambles.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Sister in law has been waiting 9 day for COVID test result. 

Obviously went missing, she could have had it and it's gone by now.

Edited by graygo

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Not sure why I am bothering as this just goes round in circles, but please explain how pubs being open will prevent groups of students from going out and not socially distancing? If you go to meet in a pub you are meeting other households and are not socially distanced from them anyway.

Maybe because pubs are regulated and enforce social distancing, hygene and track and trace when open, whereas with takeaway pints you have large groups drinking in the street in close proximity?

What we are actually getting is the Scottish Government's Prohibition agenda being forced on all of us that do comply with the rules.

Edited by frankblack

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Not sure why I am bothering as this just goes round in circles, but please explain how pubs being open will prevent groups of students from going out and not socially distancing? If you go to meet in a pub you are meeting other households and are not socially distanced from them anyway.

Yes you are.

(From your post, I take it this has been discussed before and you disagree)

10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Groups aren’t allowed to meet in pubs so pubs being open shouldn’t really cause any harm but would likely save many jobs/businesses. 

Edited by Dazo

1 hour ago, heartstastic said:

Could not agree more with what is said in this video. Shame on anyone pushing for more lockdowns they have to end they are not the answer.

Complicit to commiting murder if you agree with lockdowns?

:wtf:

12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

So wrong. I've been in many bars in central Edinburgh, Stockbridge, Morningside and all, bar none, enforced strict social distancing measures including full track and trace and mask on when not seated at your designated table.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Maybe time to explain that Santa doesn't exist, doesn't live in the North pole, doesn't have flying reindeer and doesn't come down your feckin chimney!!

No, your parents/carers have to work bloody hard to save the money to pay for the things you want, they have to shop for and wrap the gifts, possibly risking their lives during a pandemic to do so.

Bah humbug.

☹️

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, theshed said:

Your saying it would be carnage if they opened the pubs but I actually think it would be safer in a pub social distancing rather than everyone meeting up for a party in someone’s living room 

I would have gladly went for a meal and a few drinks but now I can’t do that I will probably mix indoors with friends instead 

Yes I’m saying it would be carnage, impromptu Xmas party’s etc. Not everyone is meeting up, it’s 3 households. 
Unless you live in a tier 4 area you can go for a meal now in a restaurant or a pub right now. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Could not agree more. Fecking insane decision. 

When is January ever a hoot. 

Boring month, just going to be more boring if lockdown is on.

Spending at its lowest during this spell as well.

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Please explain how opening pubs is going to cause a problem?  If you think pubs can survive on food sales alone you are kidding yourself.

You seem totally ignorant to the fact that closing hospitality is driving groups to gather in unregulated environments, be it house parties and more recently outside pubs for takeaway pints.  I've witnessed the latter first hand, and it looks like its linked to keeping Universities open as the students don't give a ****.

Its a complete shitshow by the Scottish Government who are too pig-headed to admit their short-sightedness and strategic planning is a shambles.

Switzerland the latest country to close down hospitality as they move in to their ski-ing season.

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Maybe because pubs are regulated and enforce social distancing, hygene and track and trace when open, whereas with takeaway pints you have large groups drinking in the street in close proximity?

What we are actually getting is the Scottish Government's Prohibition agenda being forced on all of us that do comply with the rules.

There is no Scottish government prohibition agenda except in your head. 

The evidence of the effectiveness of the current policies are there for all to see.

Scotland in partial lockdown is leading to a very slow decrease in infections but a decrease nonetheless.

England with no major lockdown 3 to 4 weeks ago had a rapidly increasing infection rate.

England now has a near total lockdown and cases are less than half in a very short time.

If your reasoning made sense then we would find England's rate increasing because the very safe hospitality venues are closed and people would then be forced to congregate in each other's houses increasing the likelyhood of infection. It's not though so the measures they are taking are bringing the infection rate down just as they did in Scotland.

Similar procedures are and have been carried out all over the world with similar results. The idea that the SG is an outlier is not even remotely sensible and merely demonstrates to me that in common with many of your ilk you are happy to deny reality if it means you can criticise the Scottish government. Finding a few transgressors at the margins of the law doesn't negate the policy either.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Woah slow down your reindeers there ebineezer. No need to piss on the kids mince pies. 

Plus it’s Bojos best piece of work during this crisis.

Kids? You misunderstand me sir.

I meant it was time to tell Boris.

28 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Boring month, just going to be more boring if lockdown is on.

Spending at its lowest during this spell as well.

Just think of the appreciation of life there'll be post virus and all the fun and money that will be spent as well. :cheers:

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just think of the appreciation of life they're be post virus and all the fun and money that will be spent as well. :cheers:

Aye🙂

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes I’m saying it would be carnage, impromptu Xmas party’s etc. Not everyone is meeting up, it’s 3 households. 
Unless you live in a tier 4 area you can go for a meal now in a restaurant or a pub right now. 

As long as your seated by 5pm in one of the few places open.

Demonisation of those in agreement with 'lockdowns' was inevitable.  What's remarkable is that it would rear it's head at a time when the 'lockdowns' are beginning to suppress the wave and that vaccines are on the way.  Nobody would argue that lockdowns do not have harmful consequences and could never represent a longer term strategy.  But that's no longer the case as there is a clear end strategy in sight.

Every credible expert is now saying that it would be incredibly dumb to relax things now that we can see an estimate of an end date in sight.  Demonising the willing is a bloody awful thing.  Shameless stuff. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, the general said:

As long as your seated by 5pm in one of the few places open.

Not sure about pubs but a lot of restaurants seem to be open, in the city centre anyway but yeah the early closing isn’t great for meeting friends during the week anyway. 

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just think of the appreciation of life there'll be post virus and all the fun and money that will be spent as well. :cheers:

Only have money to spend if you haven't lost your job. Hundreds of thousands of people won’t be having fun after the year I’m afraid 

37 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Switzerland the latest country to close down hospitality as they move in to their ski-ing season.

I don't see how that is relevant to Scotland.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I don't see how that is relevant to Scotland.

Because much of the world over is closing hospitality down in any way or another.

Every second thread on here kicks the SG for doing so too as if it's a unique position.

38 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The evidence of the effectiveness of the current policies are there for all to see.

Scotland in partial lockdown is leading to a very slow decrease in infections but a decrease nonetheless.

England with no major lockdown 3 to 4 weeks ago had a rapidly increasing infection rate.

England now has a near total lockdown and cases are less than half in a very short time.

If your reasoning made sense then we would find England's rate increasing because the very safe hospitality venues are closed and people would then be forced to congregate in each other's houses increasing the likelyhood of infection. It's not though so the measures they are taking are bringing the infection rate down just as they did in Scotland.

Similar procedures are and have been carried out all over the world with similar results. The idea that the SG is an outlier is not even remotely sensible and merely demonstrates to me that in common with many of your ilk you are happy to deny reality if it means you can criticise the Scottish government. Finding a few transgressors at the margins of the law doesn't negate the policy either.

Complete nonsense.

Still waiting for evidence that hospitality is a major factor in increasing infections.

Scotland started their circuit breaker back in October and kept it shut yet we see Glasgow and Lanarkshire in Tier 4.

Perhaps the rise in infections has other causes like universities and schools?

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Because much of the world over is closing hospitality down in any way or another.

Every second thread on here kicks the SG for doing so too as if it's a unique position.

See my response to CD.  I fail to see how Scotland can continue to blame hospitality several weeks after closing it.

14 minutes ago, theshed said:

Only have money to spend if you haven't lost your job. Hundreds of thousands of people won’t be having fun after the year I’m afraid 

I would imagine there'll be plenty shagging going on after this is all over. 

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

So it is only one household per table? 2m away from every other household at all times?

If it was just households going out together then I think opening hospitality would be fine, in fact that's a good idea.

It's 1m in hospitality. 

Malinga the Swinga
47 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Good to see you still defending Scottish government. Do you get paid to do so or is just love of the party and Nicola that drives you on? 

Just now, graygo said:

It's 1m in hospitality. 

Correct - same as in Cafes which are currently open or pubs which can sell only food and soft drinks (not many of which are open as its loss making).

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Complete nonsense.

Still waiting for evidence that hospitality is a major factor in increasing infections.

Scotland started their circuit breaker back in October and kept it shut yet we see Glasgow and Lanarkshire in Tier 4.

Perhaps the rise in infections has other causes like universities and schools?

Short sharp shock 16 day circuit breaker that will buy us some time leitch said 🙄🙄

Just now, theshed said:

Short sharp shock 16 day circuit breaker that will buy us some time leitch said 🙄🙄

It was actually just a straight up lie to put us back into effective lockdown, as I said it would be at the time.

There is no way they would have announced "we are having a 3 month+ circuit breaker through into the New Year, and by the way Christmas and Hogmanay is cancelled".

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It is safer to be 1m away in a pub than 2m away in a house apparently and I have seen that 1m is not respected either. It might be between different tables, but not from different households on the same table.

Please explain why it is fine to have these rules in a cafe but not if alcohol is being served in a pub?

I'm struggling to work out how Covid tells the difference between these situations when deciding who to infect.

Edited by frankblack

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Because pubs are the one the biggest danger areas where the virus spreads. As much as anyone can do with sanitising sitting in a room with so many other folk is a danger, working in there is even worse. You simply can’t do enough to keep everyone safe. 
Im well aware of how pubs run thanks, as I’ve worked in them on and off for 30 years. We have done everything possible to keep folk safe at the Diggers but it’s just not possible, and the abuse has ramped up even more as you try to get people to adhere to guidelines when they’re sober. It’s even worse when folk get a drink, as I said earlier I’ve done it myself when I was out with friends and family. Takeaway pints are meant to be consumed away from the pub, anyone hanging around shouldn’t be served again.

As for Universities they shouldn’t have brought students back, remote learning was definitely the answer and both the U.K. and Scottish governments made a mistake there, as others did. Some youngsters seem to think it’s ok to catch it as they won’t die.
I’m well aware folk are meeting in homes, my neighbours do it. It happened during lockdown, after when pubs were open and again now. 

It’s more prevalent in the west apparently where folk have parties then go out, which is probs my the reason they’re in tier 4 and would’ve happened anyway. 42616DB3-27D4-4B77-BE75-09A6D214E19E.thumb.jpeg.720fd44a2db9b7ef052e4a57f1a95cce.jpeg 

Pasquale for King

It is safer to be 1m away in a pub than 2m away in a house apparently and I have seen that 1m is not respected either. It might be between different tables, but not from different households on the same table.

Absolutely, even when they’re reminded to do so. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Because pubs are the one the biggest danger areas where the virus spreads. As much as anyone can do with sanitising sitting in a room with so many other folk is a danger, working in there is even worse. You simply can’t do enough to keep everyone safe. 
Im well aware of how pubs run thanks, as I’ve worked in them on and off for 30 years. We have done everything possible to keep folk safe at the Diggers but it’s just not possible, and the abuse has ramped up even more as you try to get people to adhere to guidelines when they’re sober. It’s even worse when folk get a drink, as I said earlier I’ve done it myself when I was out with friends and family. Takeaway pints are meant to be consumed away from the pub, anyone hanging around shouldn’t be served again.

As for Universities they shouldn’t have brought students back, remote learning was definitely the answer and both the U.K. and Scottish governments made a mistake there, as others did. Some youngsters seem to think it’s ok to catch it as they won’t die.
I’m well aware folk are meeting in homes, my neighbours do it. It happened during lockdown, after when pubs were open and again now. 

It’s more prevalent in the west apparently where folk have parties then go out, which is probs my the reason they’re in tier 4 and would’ve happened anyway. 42616DB3-27D4-4B77-BE75-09A6D214E19E.thumb.jpeg.720fd44a2db9b7ef052e4a57f1a95cce.jpeg 

I'm not sure what relevance that chart is you sent as firstly it is from the U.S., which is the worst country for infection just now thanks to an unstable fascist running their country, and secondly how that chart corresponds to track and trace data.

The anecdotes about pubs in your message sounds like a description of pre-lockdown Diggers before a Hearts match.  Times are very different nowadays both in the fact Hearts play BCD, and pubs have to follow a number of hygene criteria (discussed in throughout this thread) and collect track and trace details.

I agree, they should be restricted to 2m and one household as well

Nonsense.  I assume you are one of these tea totallers that turns their nose up at the scruffs they see in bars?

You do seem to have a personal grudge against drinkers, and are not justifying your argument with any facts.

2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

only 94 cases in the lothians 

And a huge leap for Grampian, which has largely stayed under the radar over the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, theshed said:

Or mourning the death of a loved one who has died as a consequence of lockdown.

Yeah, fun times ahead.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

only 94 cases in the lothians 

Doesn't really matter anymore. No way we will go down tier as government frightened those in West will come through and that we in Lothians can't be trusted. 

Still, on the positive side, circuit breaker must almost be due to finish soon. 

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Complicit to commiting murder if you agree with lockdowns?

:wtf:

Not really difficult to grasp...your continued compliance to lockdown contributes to them continuing (anyone that thinks that goverment will lift these things when the majority comply haven't really read up on history).

I don't think anyone can now deny that they are having adverse effects on society including increasing unemployment, depression, increased alcohol and drug consumption, all manner of untreated other ailments of which many are more serious conditons than Covid 19, already poor communites being plunged into further poverty, suicides...we've only seen the tip of the iceberg and it's going to get a lot worse.

Anyone that believes that the economy will recover from this is deluded...who do you think pays for all the government borrowing?. They have increased the overall debt by at least a third since this began and there expecting a decimated economy and infrastructure...of which there helping to shutdown entire industries to recover...laughable if the situation wasn't so serious.

Already in the states you've had Fauci come out and state that even after being vaccinated he's recommending that all the other measures stay in place (masks, social distancing)If that's coming from one of the so called leading health experts what's the point in the vaccine then?.

I'll  predict that if the majority continue to blindly comply, we'll be in same situation this time next year in terms of lockdowns but with a lot more to contend with due to there continuing effects.

TPUL1R3.jpg.09c7122aa5dd1318583401171e8150af.jpg

Edited by heartstastic

5 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Not really difficult to grasp...your continued compliance to lockdown contributes to them continuing (anyone that thinks that goverment will lift these things when the majority comply haven't really read up on history).

I don't think anyone can now deny that they are having adverse effects on society including increasing unemployment, depression, increased alcohol and drug consumption, all manner of untreated other ailments of which many are more serious conditons than Covid 19, already poor communites being plunged into further poverty...we've only seen the tip of the iceberg and it's going to get a lot worse.

Anyone that believes that the economy will recover from this is deluded...who do you think pays for all the government borrowing?. They have increased the overall debt by at least a third since this began and there expecting a decimated economy and infrastructure...of which there helping to shutdown entire industries to recover...laughable if the situation wasn't so serious.

Already in the states you've had Fauci come out and state that even after being vaccinated he's recommending that all the other measures stay in place (masks, social distancing)If that's coming from one of the so called leading health experts what's the point in the vaccine then?.

I'll  predict that if the majority continue to blindly comply, we'll be in same situation this time next year in terms of lockdowns but with a lot more to contend with due to there continuing effects.

TPUL1R3.jpg.09c7122aa5dd1318583401171e8150af.jpg

Yes but once we have the vaccine old and sick people will stop dying.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure about pubs but a lot of restaurants seem to be open, in the city centre anyway but yeah the early closing isn’t great for meeting friends during the week anyway. 

Less and less places opening ...a few more at weekends but during the week its pretty dead.

Pasquale for King

So Doncaster has demanded answers to why Scottish fans are different from English ones. To be fair to the dentist and wee nippy (am I doing this right) they mentioned fans are already back in stadiums here and that fans down south will only be allowed back in certain tiers. He’s just had his arse handed to him, in a calm manner too, when what he really meant was why are the detestable KuN+$ that follow those two horrible clubs in that jealous Covid ridden shitehole not allowed in to their grounds. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, the general said:

Less and less places opening ...a few more at weekends but during the week its pretty dead.

Well there would be less and less really as only so many can survive and cover costs doing so. You also don’t qualify for the £900 a month grant from the Scottish government if you are open in tier 3. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Show us the proof?

You were the one that introduced that graphic, and must demonstrate that its data can be corroborated with track and trace data.

I feel the virus is closing in on me. A month ago some family tested positive, most of my friends testing positive the last few weeks, this week 5 people in work tested positive and they closed most of the building off and sent everyone to work from home (Except the me and two others).

I've been super careful, not seen any friends or family for months and walking to work and back. I'm getting it man, nothing I can do about it, living and working in Glasgow. It feels inevitable.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'm not sure what relevance that chart is you sent as firstly it is from the U.S., which is the worst country for infection just now thanks to an unstable fascist running their country, and secondly how that chart corresponds to track and trace data.

The anecdotes about pubs in your message sounds like a description of pre-lockdown Diggers before a Hearts match.  Times are very different nowadays both in the fact Hearts play BCD, and pubs have to follow a number of hygene criteria (discussed in throughout this thread) and collect track and trace details.

As i work there I know exactly what it’s like thanks, I’m talking about the period from July to October. We are still busier with takeaways when Hearts are playing as alcohol is required to watch us just now. 
The U.K., and Brazil also have incompetent right wing nutters running the country and are suffering the worst numbers because of it. Pubs in the US are not that much different, we just don’t have guns and they probably have better ventilation/air coolers etc. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic