• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, theshed said:

So will hospitality in Edinburgh be allowed to open up for Christmas or will it still be closed if Edinburgh still in tier 3?

Cant see the thinking in letting loads of people get together in a living room but not allowed to social distance in a restaurant having a meal and a few drinks 

Can’t see pubs being allowed to open just for Xmas, tier 2 where meals with 3 drinks possibly but tier 1 by Xmas will need a huge turnaround. 

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, redjambo said:

One abiding memory of mine was when I was living in London during the IRA attacks and taking the tube home one afternoon. A suspect package had just been found in the tube station and one of the staff had closed a large gate so that folk couldn't get on to the platform. There was a crowd of folk in front of the gate giving the member of staff verbals and absolutely insisting that they be let on to the platform and catch the next train because otherwise their journey would be affected. Some of them were going quite crazy about it. Even though there could well be an explosive device on the platform.

Human beings can be a bit crazy at times. And *very* obstinate.

The ones insisting they should get on the platform sounds like few on this thread.

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

What lie? She said Midlothian would go into tier 2 unless the numbers increased.

Well they increased, Christ we've all been predicting it on here for the best part of a week so it's not really a huge surprise.

Yeah. They could of changed the decision on Friday.  

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's not been religious for years. Christmas is about Santa not Jesus 

Strangely, in recent years I've quite liked nipping along to the Christmas service at whichever church takes my fancy. I'm not religeous in the slightest but there's something in the peace on Earth and goodwill to all men message that sits nicely with me. A nice wee winter warmer. If there's a proper choir the singing is great too - especially in the big places like St Mary's at Haymarket.

I ****ing hate everyone again by Boxing day mind.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Strangely, in recent years I've quite liked nipping along to the Christmas service at whichever church takes my fancy. I'm not religeous in the slightest but there's something in the peace on Earth and goodwill to all men message that sits nicely with me. A nice wee winter warmer. If there's a proper choir the singing is great too - especially in the big places like St Mary's at Haymarket.

I ****ing hate everyone again by Boxing day mind.

:lenny:

Special measures for this Johnny-come-lately (in terms of public holidays) Christmas thing. What about Hogmanay and New Year?

CavySlaveJambo
8 minutes ago, leginten said:

Special measures for this Johnny-come-lately (in terms of public holidays) Christmas thing. What about Hogmanay and New Year?

Back to normal rules. 

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Yeah. They could of changed the decision on Friday.  

Then they would get slated for not giving it every chance by changing too soon. 

CavySlaveJambo
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

Then they would get slated for not giving it every chance by changing too soon. 

Probably would have caused less harm though. 

5 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Probably would have caused less harm though. 

If they called off the tier move on Friday and the figures since then dropped significantly then I'm pretty sure businesses would be up in arms about how much they had lost out on.

It's a no win for the SG.

I can’t believe they are saying 4 days free reign and travel wherever you want. After all the shit we’ve gone through. Right or wrong.  This things going to go tits up in my opinion. 
we are tier 2 in the borders and pubs will be open, just an example. Folk could be up here from anywhere spreading it say on the 23rd then it goes to homes the next few days. This things going to spread and the devastation could well be huge.

Nobody should be alone at Xmas I agree but they could of had rules just for some.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Life is for living, mate. A bit more focus on that, especially at a time of traditional celebration and festivities, is massively important.

I agree with you. I’m just gobsmacked at the governments total u-turn in what they have forced us to do and now opening the gates.

I don’t think my post was very clear though admittedly 

CavySlaveJambo
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

I believe it was said for every day restrictions are lifted over Christmas then there needs to be 5-7 days of lockdown afterwards. 

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I can’t believe they are saying 4 days free reign and travel wherever you want. After all the shit we’ve gone through. Right or wrong.  This things going to go tits up in my opinion. 
we are tier 2 in the borders and pubs will be open, just an example. Folk could be up here from anywhere spreading it say on the 23rd then it goes to homes the next few days. This things going to spread and the devastation could well be huge.

Nobody should be alone at Xmas I agree but they could of had rules just for some.

Personally I don’t see the big deal about celebrating Xmas.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

I believe it was said for every day restrictions are lifted over Christmas then there needs to be 5-7 days of lockdown afterwards. 

Well they also said 16 day circuit breaker would buy us 28 days relief and yet here we are weeks later, still with restrictions. 

Time to acknowledge the model forecasters are making it up as they go along. They have no idea what they are doing. 

3 hours ago, the general said:

I think Hogmanay will really cause a spike in the figures 

For sure.

And, we know why that will be, don’t we?

Not because it’s the 31st of December, oh no!

It’ll be because folk will totally disregard sense, ‘have to be wi’ the faimily’, ‘hae a gid yin’, ‘get a gid bevvy’.

Madness that will cause further problems, maybe another lockdown, multiple infections, but hey ho, it’s the NewYear!

Whopee!!

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Morgan said:

For sure.

It’ll be because folk will totally disregard sense, ‘have to be wi’ the faimily’, ‘hae a gid yin’, ‘get a gid bevvy’.

Madness that will cause further problems, maybe another lockdown, multiple infections, but hey ho, it’s the NewYear!

Whopee!!

January will be a hoot.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Won't be first footing you, then! 😜 

Bring a mask and a bottle, J.

You’re more than welcome!

SectionFJambo

The rule is 3 households for Xmas indoors/outdoors only - vitally not in hospitality venues which will in most areas remain very limited.

Do we need to relax the rules? Probably not, should we, probably not.

However 3 households together is going to have a limited impact for me if rules are followed and those who don't probably wouldn't anyway.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Morgan what’s the position in your place just now?

Our second ‘loose lockdown’ ends on December 1st.

They'll make damn sure that the feckin Italians can get here for Christmas and New Year then put us in another lockdown by February.

Unless, of course, the ‘wonder vaccine’ comes soon.

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I will be in Jedburgh and mixing with two other households, hopefully won’t bring it with me. I think we would’ve done that no matter what, i think that’s why it’s being allowed as hypocrites like me would break the rules. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I will be in Jedburgh and mixing with two other households, hopefully won’t bring it with me. I think we would’ve done that no matter what, i think that’s why it’s being allowed as hypocrites like me would break the rules. 

sorry I wasn’t having a go at anyone please believe me, they allow it and then nobody’s doing anything wrong. I just used the borders as an example was all.  👍

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Our second ‘loose lockdown’ ends on December 1st.

They'll make damn sure that the feckin Italians can get here for Christmas and New Year then put us in another lockdown by February.

Unless, of course, the ‘wonder vaccine’ comes soon.

Sounds great not.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

sorry I wasn’t having a go at anyone please believe me, they allow it and then nobody’s doing anything wrong. I just used the borders as an example was all.  👍

I didn’t think it was 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair play :clap:

I’ve done it a few times,no mask in a taxi,  met a pal for a walk during first lockdown. Cuddled workmates at a funeral procession, kissed and cuddled friends on a night out. Quite a few mistakes at work too. The best was taking the dog to the vets in loanhead a couple of weeks ago, and only realised when someone mentioned Ikea the other day 😆. Easy done and I’m sure most of us have though 🤔? Living life on the edge eh 😂😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

True. Must admit, I've had a few moments where I've worried about not following some of the guidance. At the end of the day, however, I hope to live in a world where most people follow their own conscience.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Life is for living, mate. A bit more focus on that, especially at a time of traditional celebration and festivities, is massively important.

Exactly , in particular after the shit storm of a year we have all had . Everyone can make their own risk assessment re Xmas celebrations . It’s not compulsory to celebrate it . 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

I agree with you. I’m just gobsmacked at the governments total u-turn in what they have forced us to do and now opening the gates.

I don’t think my post was very clear though admittedly 

The pubs etc will still be closed I would assume . No lifting on tiers unless the stats say otherwise but I’m guessing the SG will change that nearer Xmas time as the “ risk “ would be too great . 

54 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

January will be a hoot.

Just imagine if the numbers don’t rise in January ? The Govt would need to have some explaining to do . It’ll be interesting to see how it goes .

42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair play :clap:

I’ll be mixing with three households Xmas day so within the rules 👌

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

For sure.

Whopee!!

So the same thing that will happen at Xmas but without the government's blessing.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

So the same thing that will happen at Xmas but without the government's blessing.

A lockdown in Jan was inevitable irrespective of any relaxation of the rules . I would even say it’s probably sensible ! 

35 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The pubs etc will still be closed I would assume . No lifting on tiers unless the stats say otherwise but I’m guessing the SG will change that nearer Xmas time as the “ risk “ would be too great . 

pubs open in tier 2, with restrictions like having a meal but open until 10pm outdoors. I agree they will likely shut them all 2 weeks prior as that’s the kind of thing they will do. Have turkey with 3 other households over 4 days but we will shut down the hospitality sector yet again so we can do that. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest

Edited by 1971fozzy

25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A lockdown in Jan was inevitable irrespective of any relaxation of the rules . I would even say it’s probably sensible ! 

It's all about the government trying to regain control when Xmas is over, giving the perception that it's happening because they are allowing it to happen, then ok folks back into lockdown like we agreed. Whereas if they said no you can be sure a large number would do it anyway and once they get a taste for it there's no going back.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

pubs open in tier 2, with restrictions like having a meal but open until 10pm outdoors. I agree they will likely shut them all 2 weeks prior as that’s the kind of thing they will do. Have turkey with 3 other households over 4 days but we will shut down the hospitality sector yet again so we can do that. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest

Pubs can open now in tier 3 for food only, seemed weird to see the Grovesnor at Shandwick Place open yesterday. Gove said today hospitality won’t be open at Xmas, he didn’t expand on that though. Can you imagine the carnage if they opened pubs properly for 5 days? 

Edited by Pasquale for King

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

For sure.

Whopee!!

Could not agree more. Fecking insane decision. 

7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

January will be a hoot.

When is January ever a hoot. 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pubs can open now in tier 3 for food only, seemed weird to see the Grovesnor at Shandwick Place open yesterday. Gove said today hospitality won’t be open at Xmas, he didn’t expand on that though. Can you imagine the carnage if they opened pubs properly for 5 days? 

Your saying it would be carnage if they opened the pubs but I actually think it would be safer in a pub social distancing rather than everyone meeting up for a party in someone’s living room 

I would have gladly went for a meal and a few drinks but now I can’t do that I will probably mix indoors with friends instead 

8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly , in particular after the shit storm of a year we have all had . Everyone can make their own risk assessment re Xmas celebrations . It’s not compulsory to celebrate it . 

exactly, I think everyone should weigh up the risk to their own families and their own situations.

Could not agree more with what is said in this video. Shame on anyone pushing for more lockdowns they have to end they are not the answer.

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

exactly, I think everyone should weigh up the risk to their own families and their own situations.

And the Health Services....and other people risk needs weighed up too.

Because xmas is going to be quite shitty if you follow the guidelines you are going to be asked.

I'll be going to my dad's as he is on own in D@G.  He can't go to his brother's where he normally does because that would be 4 households and 3 77 - 86 yos.

Even for the 2 of us, my wife not going, (not that is a big thing because she will work to ensure next year off) it's constant cleaning of surfaces, separate crockery and cutlery, distancing inside his wee pensioner's house.  Of course, if we didn't bother doing all this we might not get covid, nor the next person - family, nor the next, but the one after that......

When we were allowed out and aboutish in Edinburgh in the summer, I visited him.  4 days later I got a call to say he'd had a fall and was in hospital.  When I asked about visiting hours I was told you can't as he's showing Covid symptons and couldn't go down till his negative test result.  I can assure you 'he's 82, old people die is not what goes through your head.....especially when you (me) is the key risk contact he would have had outside of him doing his shopping in the preceding fortnight'

Also what happens if there are delays to vaccine sign off, production and so on.

We are this close after a crappy year to seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.  It is up to folk what they do.  I hope risks folk take are on the cautious side rather than do as they please one.

Edited by DETTY29

26 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Could not agree more with what is said in this video. Shame on anyone pushing for more lockdowns they have to end they are not the answer.

Pretty hard to argue with a lot of the things he has said in this video. 

Good news yesterday that D&G is very close to going to L1.

Hopefully the folks in D&G, their politicians, business leaders portray a 'final push' message to get them over the line.  And this message isn't just for inhabitants of D&G but those outside of the area too.

Of course however, Oliver Mundell has resigned from the Scottish Tory front bench and Colin Smyth, Labour MSP demanding that D&G inhabitants be allowed to travel cross border despite being allowed to do for essential purposes, England being in lockdown anyway and last time I looked Carlisle was at the equivalent of our L3.

Might be the start of the Tory, Labour pact in lead up to next Holyrood elections.  ;)

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

For sure.

Whopee!!

Plus I think that normally in Edinburgh the street party and our liberal opening hours meant less people held the tradition Hogmanay parties but instead,football permitting, have smaller meets on the 1st January

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic