Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Hey, I came back to Scotland on 1 November thinking the worst of it was past. I'm the biggest mug on this forum. :lol:

But you've comported yourself with class on this thread, and you're capable of holding your hands up and learning from new information. No reason to lump yourself into the same boat.

At times, but I've also engaged in tit for tat back and forth, stuck blindly to my guns on some things and repeated entrenched views on others. I've certainly learned a lot from the thread however which is a positive and whilst it makes me annoyed, angry, sad, it's also uplifting in passing, extremely funny at times and has helped me get through it all as I live alone in England and don't have a big social network here or have a big work team...and let's be honest, the crap I've posted on this thread at times just bores my girlfriend to tears (as I'm sure it does folk on here) 😂😂

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I said the same about lockdown. Never for a second thought there would be another one after the first. Completely underestimated the competency of our leaders to replace it with something less blunt and also the populaces ability to keep themselves safe without being made to stay in their house under law.

Swing and a miss, from Enzo and I in hindsight.

Loads of folk called it wrongly. The curse of the optimist.

Enzo's been yanking everyone's chain for months. If it keeps him amused through these troubled times, who are we to judge.

23 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He has a serious problem with people with weight issues too. 

On a thread about the Covid-19 pandemic I think it's pretty fair to have issues with a demographic who increase pressure on the NHS due being unwilling (not all of course) to sacrifice to alleviate pressure on the NHS by reducing their personal risk and make up a disproportionately high number of super spreaders.

James has frequently posted about the psychological trauma many overweight people have experienced and has defended how hard it can be for them to lose weight. Just because he's highlighted the false narrative that 'anyone can die from covid, look here's a young man with no underlying health conditions' whilst panning to a a visibly obese person is disingenuous doesn't make him have a serious issue with fat people. In fact his defence of them made me temper my viewpoint and accept that for some it's a really serious issue they need help with. For most though, I still maintain they just need to stop eating so much and move more, which is backed up by the NHS page on obesity. 

Weakened Offender
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

On a thread about the Covid-19 pandemic I think it's pretty fair to have issues with a demographic who increase pressure on the NHS due being unwilling (not all of course) to sacrifice to alleviate pressure on the NHS by reducing their personal risk and make up a disproportionately high number of super spreaders.

James has frequently posted about the psychological trauma many overweight people have experienced and has defended how hard it can be for them to lose weight. Just because he's highlighted the false narrative that 'anyone can die from covid, look here's a young man with no underlying health conditions' whilst panning to a a visibly obese person is disingenuous doesn't make him have a serious issue with fat people. In fact his defence of them made me temper my viewpoint and accept that for some it's a really serious issue they need help with. For most though, I still maintain they just need to stop eating so much and move more, which is backed up by the NHS page on obesity. 

There are clear and researched links between obesity and poverty. You might want to read up on that before using the eat less/move more line. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

There are clear and researched links between obesity and poverty. You might want to read up on that before using the eat less/move more line. 

Tell that to the NHS you're so keen to protect then:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/

As someone with a pretty far left political belief don't start lecturing me about the impacts of poverty though. We don't all fit into the little boxes you like to think exist of anyone with a different viewpoint to you being a right wing, pro-union, pro-Brexit Tory.

Weakened Offender
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tell that to the NHS you're so keen to protect then:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/

As someone with a pretty far left political belief don't start lecturing me about the impacts of poverty though. We don't all fit into the little boxes you like to think exist of anyone with a different viewpoint to you being a right wing, pro-union, pro-Brexit Tory.

It was you who used the terms 'unwilling to sacrifice' and 'eat less and move more.' I'm merely suggesting you write less and read more. 😉

Edited by Weakened Offender

13 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It was you who used the terms 'unwilling to sacrifice' and 'eat less and move more.' I'm merely suggesting you write less and read more. 😉

Yes and as per the link I posted, that's what the NHS recommend as a treatment for obesity, eat less/better and move more. Poverty amongst others reasons (more importantly education imo) is why someone gets fat, not what's stopping them losing weight. Would a doctor prescribe money to an obese person, or would they say eat less and move more?

Anyway I'm quite happy with my views on it, my post was just to point out that James hasn't been gunning for fat people like you suggested.

Anyway, back to work for me, I've money to earn...to pay for my summer body.

Edited by Taffin

They are saying just now they are keeping the vaccines for age groups not say 'essential' workers. Doing essential workers would slow down the delivery of vaccinations and is overly complicated. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Don't know all occupations at risk and staff records are not complete. Concern at missing people. 

So sticking with age. 

Edited by Mikey1874

18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Don't know all occupations at risk and staff records are not complete. Concern at missing people. 

So sticking with age. 

I thought we should go with those most unable to avoid catching it. Essential workers effectively but we haven't and we're flying through it now so seems the right call to stick with age as the main driver.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I thought we should go with those most unable to avoid catching it. Essential workers effectively but we haven't and we're flying through it now so seems the right call to stick with age as the main driver.

We would spend that long arguing who was more essential that we would never get anywhere.

I agree on the ages approach.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah, you've said a lot of things. Have you ever considered maybe admitting you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about?

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/187101-coronavirus-pandemic/&do=findComment&comment=7912057

image.thumb.png.4d63ce614fc41a9094ac819de68e8db8.png

Great call, chief.

Aye, same.

Good that we're doing a bit of revisionism here. Jason Leitch supported the herd immunity approach in March/April and even encouraged his wife to go to a Stereophonics concert. Does he know what he's feckin talking about?? Chris Whitty said mass outside gatherings were safe. What about him? Nicola Sturgeon thought that imported cases from rUK caused a second wave after last summer. That was disproved by Prof Mark Woolhouse yesterday,  as was her elimination strategy, the day before. Has she got a feckin clue? 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

This thread is about Covid not James, let’s move on. 

If I’ve done something wrong then let the mods deal with me. 

And here was me think it was all about you and your opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Good that we're doing a bit of revisionism here. Jason Leitch supported the herd immunity approach in March/April and even encouraged his wife to go to a Stereophonics concert. Does he know what he's feckin talking about?? Chris Whitty said mass outside gatherings were safe. What about him? Nicola Sturgeon thought that imported cases from rUK caused a second wave after last summer. That was disproved by Prof Mark Woolhouse yesterday,  as was her elimination strategy, the day before. Has she got a feckin clue? 

Or Devi on schools closing

2nd jan: "We probably need to delay two or three weeks to assess the evidence around this to make sure that you’re not adding fuel to the fire already of increasing numbers"

30th Jan: “I’m increasingly convinced by data from countries across the world that we are underestimating the harms of keeping young kids out of school & overplaying their role in transmission. Children should be in school.”

Now, Devi is allowed to change her stance based on data but we need to keep in mind that even the most qualified are struggling to keep up with events and will have contradicted themselves over the last 12 months.

manaliveits105

Q interviews with irate teachers union reps 

I must be mellowing Jean Freemans growing on me she seems a genuine person who was caught in a shit storm 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is where I am. Age is still the single biggest indicator of how you deal with this. 

I think Freeman has articulated pretty well why age is also most streamlined approach too.

manaliveits105

Christ didnt take the bbc long to pick an expert prof to talk down the improved figures 

ah but cities Glasgow and Edinburgh - deprived areas 

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

2nd jan: "We probably need to delay two or three weeks to assess the evidence around this to make sure that you’re not adding fuel to the fire already of increasing numbers"

30th Jan: “I’m increasingly convinced by data from countries across the world that we are underestimating the harms of keeping young kids out of school & overplaying their role in transmission. Children should be in school.”

Now, Devi is allowed to change her stance based on data but we need to keep in mind that even the most qualified are struggling to keep up with events and will have contradicted themselves over the last 12 months.

Yes, exactly NB.  She is deemed to be correct, regardless of what she says. 

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Thanks for that accurate analysis of my views regarding people with weight issues . Like a few others things ( women hater ! ) being levelled at me it’s just a complete distortion of any kind of truth . It’s to suit their narrative to create me as a villain of some sort on this ! It’s not a surprise that both comments are from two of the more zealot SNP supporters . It seems their  devotion to Nicola et al clouds their reading and interpretation of posts from me and others . I was a fervent nationalist supporter but after the last years events they won’t be getting my vote in May however I still want an independent Scotland , however with people like those two advocating for it I’d wonder what kind of independent Scotland we would have , where debate and dissent if not in the right areas is met with hostility abuse and constant ridicule . I will certainly not be replyin to any comments from either person again . To think I was supportive and expressed my concerns to one of them about his recent health issues . What’s the old saying “ the road to hell is paved with good intentions “ ! And for the record I haven’t said I was bullied but I certainly now feel less likely post now due to the constant daggers from some on this . They will be ignored . They do themselves no favours really in particular WO who must be the most aggressive , hostile , opinionated , obnoxious person on this He actually lacks any form of intelligent debate on this . There are others on this I have had debates with and they can annoy me at times but I respect them  as they more than often write great postings . I’ll not name them as I’ll just get called a crawler . I really can’t win . Well I’ve said my piece. Over and out . Please can it just be dropped now . 

Edited by JamesM48

52 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Christ didnt take the bbc long to pick an expert prof to talk down the improved figures 

ah but cities Glasgow and Edinburgh - deprived areas 

Happens all the time . Can’t even get time to digest good news then it’s wham negative stuff 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

So she said we needed to wait a few weeks to analyse the evidence, then 4 weeks later, after doing so, she'd made her mind up. 

How is that changing her stance?

Footballfirst
32 minutes ago, the general said:

Vaccination levels seem really low again. I understand that we may be holding back some for the second dose but still

The last of the "high" numbers (50k+) was for jabs reported on 14 Feb.   We were told that figures would be lower for two weeks, so there should be a pick up next week.

The total number reported today was 35,628 (1st and 2nd doses) which is the fourth day in a row in which it has gone up.

Edited by Footballfirst

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So she said we needed to wait a few weeks to analyse the evidence, then 4 weeks later, after doing so, she'd made her mind up. 

How is that changing her stance?

The first quote: not sure yet so keep them home

second quote: i'm sure now, send them to school

What she says across those two quotes is nothing different from what many of us have been saying for months,

And itt's changing her stance based on the information in front of her. We have all done it over the last 12 months, except she does it with much greater data!

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

The first quote: not sure yet so keep them home

second quote: i'm sure now, send them to school

What she says across those two quotes is nothing different from what many of us have been saying for months,

And itt's changing her stance based on the information in front of her. We have all done it over the last 12 months, except she does it with much greater data!

That's not changing her stance. That's doing exactly what she said.

Dennis Reynolds
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

For those who have followed the drama with my father in law. He now has an appointment for tomorrow.

Good stuff. Glad it's finally been resolved. Have to admit, after reading about the issues you had I phoned up the doctors just to make sure all my details where correct 👍

Whilst the numbers getting the first jab have gone down (as was expected!) the number of people getting appointment letters seems to have been steady. Guy I know in his 30's with some lung issues got his appointment letter today.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

:spoton:

👍

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

For those who have followed the drama with my father in law. He now has an appointment for tomorrow.

Great news. 

As Brian hasn't posted the 7-day stats today, here you are. Apologies for any errors - my head isn't quite in it at the moment. To the person yesterday who said that they preferred to see the least infected council areas at the top, I suggest you turn your screen upside down for complete satisfaction.

The numbers are good - a good fall in the 7-day cases stat, another drop in the positivity rate, non-ICU hospitalisations carrying on downwards (now lower than it was before the festive surge), some good reductions in several council areas, and no significant local outbreaks visible.

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     24 Feb 23 Feb 22 Feb 21 Feb 20 Feb ... 20 Dec
Scotland     94 100 -6   98 104 106 103 105 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 191 196 -5   209 224 224 214 217 ... 60
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 162 178 -16   166 175 187 182 184 ... 120
North Lanarkshire 4 3 153 167 -14   157 180 180 179 172 ... 119
West Lothian 4 3 151 166 -15   165 180 188 203 231 ... 83
Stirling 4 3 148 141 +7   132 137 131 137 150 ... 70
Clackmannanshire 4 3 147 151 -4   167 165 188 188 198 ... 148
Midlothian 4 3 135 147 -12   129 129 143 135 118 ... 136
Renfrewshire 4 3 135 138 -3   126 140 154 154 164 ... 116
Glasgow City 4 3 132 143 -11   139 142 145 130 132 ... 129
East Ayrshire 4 3 124 146 -22   138 178 179 186 210 ... 153
East Lothian 4 3 119 118 +1   108 107 107 89 78 ... 148
South Lanarkshire 4 3 116 123 -7   118 128 129 127 130 ... 120
North Ayrshire 4 3 109 116 -7   111 119 126 128 124 ... 175
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 96 99 -3   95 93 86 72 71 ... 70
East Renfrewshire 4 3 94 117 -23   116 127 134 118 137 ... 101
Edinburgh City 4 3 87 91 -4   93 97 95 89 84 ... 109
Fife 4 3 69 65 +4   71 67 73 73 71 ... 97
South Ayrshire 4 3 65 72 -7   62 67 66 60 64 ... 98
Perth & Kinross 4 3 63 61 +2   60 59 61 63 56 ... 126
Dundee City 4 3 56 56 0   59 55 54 53 53 ... 113
Moray 4 1 56 53 +3   56 64 75 68 62 ... 13
Inverclyde 4 2 51 46 +5   37 46 49 57 54 ... 59
Highland 4/3 1 45 49 -4   52 53 52 54 52 ... 17
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 43 50 -7   52 51 53 52 56 ... 32
Angus 4 2 40 46 -6   46 52 52 52 52 ... 37
Aberdeenshire 4 3 30 35 -5   36 37 36 31 34 ... 88
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4 1 30 37 -7   52 52 45 52 64 ... 22
Scottish Borders 4 1 30 35 -5   30 39 41 40 38 ... 85
Aberdeen City 4 3 25 25 0   25 24 25 26 30 ... 163
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 12 14 -2   35 41 42 50 50 ... 29
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   4 4 4 4 4 ... 0
Shetland Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     19249 19652 -403   19180 19297 19088 18743 18151 ... 16839
Positivity rate %     4.4 4.6 -0.2   4.6 4.9 5.0 5.0 5.2 ... 5.2
Hospital (non-ICU)     965 1005 -40   1046 1088 1131 1172 1215 ... 975
ICU     94 96 -2   97 98 99 99 100 ... 50
Deaths     28 28 0   32 35 34 34 33 ... 25
All Vaccinations     27586 27644 -58   28245 29044 30448 32766 36952    
1st Dose     22397 23002 -605   24000 25320 27185 29738 34171    
2nd Dose     5189 4642 +547   4245 3724 3263 3028 2781    

34 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As Brian hasn't posted the 7-day stats today, here you are. Apologies for any errors - my head isn't quite in it at the moment. To the person yesterday who said that they preferred to see the least infected council areas at the top, I suggest you turn your screen upside down for complete satisfaction.

The numbers are good - a good fall in the 7-day cases stat, another drop in the positivity rate, non-ICU hospitalisations carrying on downwards (now lower than it was before the festive surge), some good reductions in several council areas, and no significant local outbreaks visible.

Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     24 Feb 23 Feb 22 Feb 21 Feb 20 Feb ... 20 Dec

7-day averages                          

Thank you. Appreciated 

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

7-day averages                          

👍

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
52 minutes ago, redjambo said:

7-day averages                          

👍

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

7-day averages                          

Cheers Red, no idea what happened the other day and not interested I have found these really helpful aswell as your answers to my questions ( some stupid at times)

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

7-day averages                          

👍très appréciée

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Enzo, you and I both know that the only person allowed to make errors during this time is Ms Sturgeon.

Spot on, Jonesy

8 hours ago, the general said:

Vaccination levels seem really low again. I understand that we may be holding back some for the second dose but still

Can't vaccinate without vaccine. More coming second week of March, will pick up then

We've had Police representatives moaning all day about not getting priority for vaccines. 

So well done to the Government for pointing out restaurant / catering workers, metal / machine operatives, food, drink and tobacco operatives then taxi / cab drivers are the most at risk groups. 

Shop assistants too would be long before Police officers. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Can someone tell Van Tam he doesn't need to do an analogy every time he appears on telly. 

Throw in a swear word or two, that will get peoples attention. 

Hawl Mofos feck this up and we'll kick 10 shades of shite right out you and your whole family. Awright! 

No? Just me. :)

35 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The farther in law has been vaccinated:jj:

They also did the wife at the same time, whose is under 40 and no underlying conditions. :robbo:

They had space from cancelation so did it when she took her dad to RHS. 

I had mine during the week, early 40s with no health conditions. Got an appointment letter and no idea why. 🤷‍♂️ 

A bit of a fever kicked in about 8 hours after receiving it, but I was generally back to normal by the following afternoon.

manaliveits105
43 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

They also did the wife at the same time, whose is under 40 and no underlying conditions. 

:oohmatron:        a national health service ?

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I had mine during the week, early 40s with no health conditions. Got an appointment letter and no idea why. 🤷‍♂️ 

A bit of a fever kicked in about 8 hours after receiving it, but I was generally back to normal by the following afternoon.

Naughty. Taking a jab away from a vulnerable person :biggrin2:

I would've had you down as someone who would have contacted them and pointed out their mistake as well

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Naughty. Taking a jab away from a vulnerable person :biggrin2:

I would've had you down as someone who would have contacted them and pointed out their mistake as well

If Nicola wants to fast-track me, who am I to argue? What a woman. :love:

I'm reading that Hungary have began administering the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/24/hungary-becomes-first-eu-nation-to-use-china-s-sinopharm-vaccine-against-covid-19

That's Hungary & the other 3 countries in the Visegrad group (Poland, Czech Rep & Slovakia) already bought and administering the Russian Sputnik V vaccine, independently from the rest of EU, I'd imagine the other 3 in the Visegrad group will follow Hungary's lead and start using the Chinese vaccine as well.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic