Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Ok so we are now looking at Vaccine passport debates.

Can anyone confirm how that works for any vaccines that are required at the moment for things like Yellow fever, Polio etc?    Is it in paper format?

Also if somebody gets vaccinated your health record is updated, and that is in an electronic format for everyone in the UK?  I am assuming so.  Then I am assuming that at the moment that record is not currently being uploaded to your passport record and then from that record your electronic passport is not being updated, i.e. when you swipe it at point of entry or exit to a country it will not show your vaccine record?  I may be wrong.  Good if I am.

To me if you cannot swipe your passport as the answer to any Covid evidence when going overseas then how would a Covid vaccine be recognised on the point of entry to any country?  A paper copy can be scammed, not everyone uses or wants to use a smart phone and even then that level of technology QR codes and bar codes and even apps can be scammed.

I am therefore thinking electronic passport swiping is best solution but it will not be available in the short term.  Also think about Government IT projects, how drawn out they are and how much they cost.  Brexit being a good recent example of needing a new one.  Health ones in the past have been problematic.  In addition the UK would need to organise any Covid vaccine solutions in relation to evidence with all other countries who ask for it.  Nightmare.

In the short term paper certificates could be issued but that would have a level of risk.  I think politicians are blowing a bit of hot air at the moment about this issue anyway just to make sure more people take up the vaccine.  The low level of up take, after all ages have been offered the jab is now looking very high, much higher than people thought it would be according to news reports.  By saying you might need evidence, regardless if you will or not gets those wanting an overseas holiday this year worried and potentially up's the vaccine takers numbers.

It's a fair discussion point, but I don't see the solution being any more complex than using an app with your smartphone, similar to that used by airlines for boarding passes.  If the vaccine data from an officially licensed app matches your passport details then that should be sufficient.  For those unable to use smartphone apps, then the print at home paper version should be enough, again similar to boarding passes.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo
46 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Popped up an Twitter the 50 or so mistakes they government made with the pandemic.

Of one of them, it's only 7 weeks since the PM telling parents it was safe to send their kids back to school when out and about on the Monday morning, only to call a press conference that night to say lock down was back again with the some kids only having that day back.

Boris has got so much wrong particularly early doors, almost literally everything in fact. However he had redeemed himself significantly in my eyes for two reasons:

1.  The decision to procure the volume and variety of vaccines we have out with the EU process.  That was a gutsy call because if it had gone wrong and EU were running ahead he would be slaughtered.

2.  The UK’s testing capacity.  To get from where it was to where it is now is a real achievement in less than a year.  

Both of these things are critical for getting us out of this quicker.

Apart from providing a greater level of visible leadership Nicola Sturgeon has made all the same mistakes as Boris without either of the two positives above.  She would have had us in the EU vaccine scheme.  She has done nothing positive to help ease us out of this more quickly or effectively them the UK and actually her quoting the 9000 deaths figure today shows we haven’t even done much better on deaths.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Apart from providing a greater level of visible leadership Nicola Sturgeon has made all the same mistakes as Boris without either of the two positives above.  She would have had us in the EU vaccine scheme.  She has done nothing positive to help ease us out of this more quickly or effectively them the UK and actually her quoting the 9000 deaths figure today shows we haven’t even done much better on deaths.  

On a per-capita basis, Scotland over the course of the pandemic has had less Covid cases than any other nation/region in the UK. Regarding deaths, we're in third place, behind the South West of England and Northern Ireland (the latter having had the least deaths per-capita).

Source: https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

I completely agree with the vaccine scheme though. We pulled a blinder on that. Just looking forward to the next vaccination supply surge.

Byyy The Light
56 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Popped up an Twitter the 50 or so mistakes they government made with the pandemic.

Of one of them, it's only 7 weeks since the PM telling parents it was safe to send their kids back to school when out and about on the Monday morning, only to call a press conference that night to say lock down was back again with the some kids only having that day back.

Someone should make a book about all the various announcements, false dawns and scandals they've been bumbling on about throughout this.  I know its a brand new disease and the first time in a generation thing but they could've hidden the fact they were making it up as they go along a bit better.

So 4 weeks ago I had no underlying conditions and was happy to wait my turn for the vaccine.

Unfortunately had a small heart attack 3 weeks ago which turned my world upside down.

I had unbelievably good treatment from the NHS and expect to make a good recovery.

Last night got a phone call to attend Caird Hall in Dundee today for the vaccine. Been in and all done, received the Pfizer vaccine. 

Cant understand why anybody wouldn't want the vaccine. Not only could save your own life but also that of anybody with underlying conditions you or they are not aware of. 

Brighton Jambo
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

On a per-capita basis, Scotland over the course of the pandemic has had less Covid cases than any other nation/region in the UK. Regarding deaths, we're in third place, behind the South West of England and Northern Ireland (the latter having had the least deaths per-capita).

Source: https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

I completely agree with the vaccine scheme though. We pulled a blinder on that. Just looking forward to the next vaccination supply surge.

I agree we have done better and I did say that but it’s not Norway v Sweden levels of better and in our case Geography is in our favour.  

This was Sturgeons big chance.  We are repeatedly reminded how we have lower prevalence and case rates, Boris has delivered the vaccine so set out a plan that recognises and rewards the Scottish people for the longer harder lockdown last year.  Instead we got a half baked, ill conceived plan that shows no imagination or courage and is literally being amended in the media today because of the mistakes in it.   Even Boris has conceded the tiers don’t work and dumped them.  Not her though.  

6 minutes ago, Peakybunnet said:

So 4 weeks ago I had no underlying conditions and was happy to wait my turn for the vaccine.

Unfortunately had a small heart attack 3 weeks ago which turned my world upside down.

I had unbelievably good treatment from the NHS and expect to make a good recovery.

Last night got a phone call to attend Caird Hall in Dundee today for the vaccine. Been in and all done, received the Pfizer vaccine. 

Cant understand why anybody wouldn't want the vaccine. Not only could save your own life but also that of anybody with underlying conditions you or they are not aware of. 

Sorry to hear about your heart attack, Peaky. Spot on about the vaccine, and I wish you a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

joondalupjambo
22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's a fair discussion point, but I don't see the solution being any more complex than using an app with your smartphone, similar to that used by airlines for boarding passes.  If the vaccine data from an officially licensed app matches your passport details then that should be sufficient.  For those unable to use smartphone apps, then the print at home paper version should be enough, again similar to boarding passes.

Totally agree the solution for International travel is not complex, app and/or print out.

But for people who talking about, or wanting vaccine certificates to enter pubs, football games, cinemas etc the solution then becomes a far more complex problem because you need to consider a mass of people crossing a multitude of practical, political and social issues.

A vast number of people do not travel overseas but everyone takes part in domestic life in the main. 

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This was Sturgeons big chance.  We are repeatedly reminded how we have lower prevalence and case rates, Boris has delivered the vaccine so set out a plan that recognises and rewards the Scottish people for the longer harder lockdown last year.  Instead we got a half baked, ill conceived plan that shows no imagination or courage and is literally being amended in the media today because of the mistakes in it.   Even Boris has conceded the tiers don’t work and dumped them.  Not her though.  

How does that square with what the Home Secretary has said today?

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

How does that square with what the Home Secretary has said today?

He said too much and she said nowhere near enough.  They both got it wrong.  

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Some turnaround for Aberdeen.

another sheep tested positive yesterday the folk in Aberdeen will be bleatin aboot that.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We've got to avoid getting caught up with scientific modelling that does not contextualise their findings. 55k deaths is nothing more than a headline figure. When extended to June 2022, that equates , as you say, to 786 a week. 12k die every week of every year so, taken in that context,  786 is a small percentage.  

We are also not taking into account the damage to the lives and futures of millions of people that lockdowns cause. 

Going forward, lockdown needs to come off the table as a measure used to control the virus. The vast majority of adults will be vaccinated over the next few weeks and months and so issues regarding groups that, for whatever reason, are still vulnerable are a matter for the NHS. It will be an extremely small percentage of the population and extremely damaging could not be justified.

i realise you’re  just bringing some context to what is a very difficult situation and you have been consistent in doing so for right or for wrong - I’ve tried to do similar at times 

my point here is the subsequent numbers of deaths which appear to be deemed ‘acceptable’ is getting on for another 50% of the unacceptable huge number that’s gone already - looks like it might be over a shorter time period and unlike a lot of the modelling going by a bit of FFs commentary this doesn’t look like a worse case scenario - all this after we’ve ‘solved’ it

no way are the majority of people going to accept this based on the support for the nhs and those at risk over the past year + I just can’t see folk so heavily invested in this emotionally just switching off

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

And there's a good hint as to why it is that you have started believing what you do. You've found a way to combat your fear of Covid by finding folk to agree with who not only have a good old enemy, the government and the scientists, but their main tenet is that the thing you fear, Covid, is not to be feared after all! It, and everything that is being done to combat it, is in effect fake news or at the least very exaggerated news. What could be handier? Nothing to be afraid of any more.

QAnon, MAGA, anti-vaxxing, Covid denial, and so on. All built on mobilising fear and uncertainty into a form of almost religious certainty and anger that invigorates folk who need invigorating.

In saying that, it's not healthy to have long-running disputes, so I'll let you have a final pop or pops at me, and then I'll just keep you on ignore and let others rightly take you up on the stuff that you come out with. On a personal, non-Covid related level, all the best James. :thumb:

Wow , good post in general 

1 hour ago, LMc said:

A good few years ago I had to get a yellow fever vaccine to go abroad and was given a wee vaccination booklet that I was to present if asked. Was never actually asked for it when I arrived tbh. Recently got a similar thing after my cat got his vaccines. 

I was the same I regards to Yellow Fever vaccination. As far as I know, there's no record of me having been vaccinated for it beyond the yellow bit of paper which I've since lost.

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's cheap, shot, especially for someone as articulate, humorous and intelligent as Red, probably born out of the long-term effects of lockdown.:(

Bit patronising. 😉

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's not though, Sadj, really. :(

He's criticising James for being less scared - on a personal level - of Covid. Given James' presumed age and health, I think that's a good thing, no?

He's lumping James in with QAnon and MAGA, despite having no evidence that James is a right-wing Trump supporter.

He's apparently had James on ignore but has undone that in order to come on and have a pop at him and his views.

It was a cheap, shot, especially for someone as articulate, humorous and intelligent as Red, probably born out of the long-term effects of lockdown.

I said in general. Not the specific person it was aimed at. James in an enigma. i wont comment further.

As a societal comment I think it had validity

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They can make projections, but they cannot say anything for certain. Every Covid prediction should come with a massive disclaimer at the top. But no, folk get pinged headlines with terrifyingly high numbers to grab their attention and one of three modal verbs that do little to put anything in context.

Works the other way also though. People were being fed book yer holiday now folks nothing to see here. Thats the damage the media does to everything good or bad. Smart people are not guided by the news but a balanced opinion based on info available

joondalupjambo
50 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don'r necessarily disagree with some of what you say regarding comparisons, although I do have to pick you up on the deaths by death certificate numbers (which is the 9347 figure you mention).

Scotland per 1m population - 1657 

England per 1m population - 2072

So a significant difference there, however we have been under more restrictions and for longer, especially here in the West as you know. 

Did the SG not get it, or try to get it right in relation to travel restrictions?  I think we clamped down on that to stop and/or reduce transmissions mush earlier than down south and also we were stricter I think.  Both Wales and us were literally seen as the bad guys for a good while before it eventually twigged with the UK Government that it was needed.  Is that not right or I am dreaming it all?

35 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i realise you’re  just bringing some context to what is a very difficult situation and you have been consistent in doing so for right or for wrong - I’ve tried to do similar at times 

my point here is the subsequent numbers of deaths which appear to be deemed ‘acceptable’ is getting on for another 50% of the unacceptable huge number that’s gone already - looks like it might be over a shorter time period and unlike a lot of the modelling going by a bit of FFs commentary this doesn’t look like a worse case scenario - all this after we’ve ‘solved’ it

no way are the majority of people going to accept this based on the support for the nhs and those at risk over the past year + I just can’t see folk so heavily invested in this emotionally just switching off

I appreciate the points you have raised MMM but those who are doing the modelling will need to bring clarity, detail and context to what it is they're claiming.  Who do they think will be susceptible and why? Will they be existing hospital patients? Will it be people who are already suffering from life threatening conditions? Will they die with it or because of it? Etc etc

99% of deaths have come from those in the most vulnerable categories, those who should now be vaccinated. Covid will be around for years anyway so I suppose it will just be added to a list of illnesses that people die from.

To be honest, the biggest fear going forward is that people will be scared to go back to normal life and interact with other humans, without jumping out their skin. That is a direct result from govt led scaremongering and is more damaging than the virus itself.  

As a society we have no choice;, an entire generation of children, those at university,  the economy,  culture, sports, elderly people in the twilight of their lives, people already suffering from debilitating conditions and being pushed down the waiting list, we can't allow the fear of Covid , new variants and the possibility that 50k may die (0.08% of the population to imprison and restrict the liberty and life chances of 99.99% of the country. It's absolute madness. Boris has set out a bold but cautious plan to have us back to normal by June 21st and that is the right approach. 

43 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He's criticising James for being less scared - on a personal level - of Covid. Given James' presumed age and health, I think that's a good thing, no?

He's lumping James in with QAnon and MAGA, despite having no evidence that James is a right-wing Trump supporter.

He's apparently had James on ignore but has undone that in order to come on and have a pop at him and his views.

It was a cheap, shot, especially for someone as articulate, humorous and intelligent as Red, probably born out of the long-term effects of lockdown.

It was a stoater.

25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry for misunderstanding, and didn't mean to misrepresent you :)  - just unimpressed with some of the criticism James is taking on here for doing little else than expressing an opinion on the topic of the thread :( 

No its ok i read my post again I didnt make it clear. Iv spoken to James a couple times on pm. Hopefully he knows my opinion of him. Although i doubt it would bother him either way. 

Possibly looking for negative before positive constantly has done for a few posters. I also think James‘s humour sometimes comes across differently in a post to how its intended or would be seen in person. 

The only post Iv seen where i think he was a bit out of order was the one saying it was prejudice that caused people to have an opinion on him and where he said he liked Jo Cherry 😒

Anyway back to the glass half full or half empty covey debate shall we 🙂

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

The worrying aspect is that the may still continue to use infections as a barometer for not lifting restrictions when its hospital admissions, ICU and deaths which matter and the rates of how many have been vaccinated. 

Keep up the sensible scepticism and critical thinking,  James.👍. A large section of society do seem paralysed by fear about emerging from lockdown. But trying to close down the opinions of those who are not, is extremely unhealthy.

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Positive test is still the 1st indicator of any problems, if there is none/small number of infections detected then things are not going to become a problem in hospitals or morgues, however if infections rise rapidly you could have a situation to monitor. We are all really hopeful that lockdown will not be a tool that is required again.

The modeling paper gave an indication of how the R number will rise with each easing of restrictions.

The current estimate of the R number for those who have not been vaccinated is 1.1

Step 1 (Opening schools) will add 0.5 to make it 1.6

Step 2 will add 0.3 to make it 1.9

Step 3 will also add 0.3 to make it 2.2

Step 4 (end of restrictions) will add 0.8 to make it 3.0

Obviously those higher "R" values will affect a smaller percentage of the population as time goes by, while more people are vaccinated. 

They are expecting a peak in hospital admissions around the end of June, with that peak being lower than the recent peak.

Edited by Footballfirst

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The modeling paper gave an indication of how the R number will rise with each easing of restrictions.

The current estimate of the R number for those who have not been vaccinated is 1.1

Step 1 (Opening schools) will add 0.5 to make it 1.6

Step 2 will add 0.3 to make it 1.9

Step 3 will also add 0.3 to make it 2.2

Step 4 (end of restrictions) will add 0.8 to make it 3.0

Obviously those higher "R" values will affect a smaller percentage of the population as time goes by, while more people are vaccinated. 

They are expecting a peak in hospital admissions around the end of June, with that peak being lower than the recent peak.

I think you should have a look at your info once more....totally nonsense info...an R number of 3 !!!!!! at the end of restrictions honestly.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Finally something to agree with you today on.

Been using my Linux Mint laptop the last few days and very happy to be back on LibreOffice after clunking around in Office since last summer.

It's funny how folk can strongly agree on one thing and vehemently disagree on another, but I've certainly noted and appreciated your support for Linux and open software. There aren't many of us about! All the best with Mint, it's a cracking balance between simplicity and sophistication. :thumb:

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

I think you should have a look at your info once more....totally nonsense info...an R number of 3 !!!!!! at the end of restrictions honestly.

It's an R number of 3 for those who are not vaccinated, e.g. school kids, an element of ethnic minorities etc.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Well said Jonesy.  No need for me to repeat much of it but its along my lines of thinking too. Massive stereotypical assumptions about me due to my postings. I dont even feel I have to state that i cant abide Trump but I cant abide Trump or the far right. I have never stated that covid isn't real or down played the severity of it. As you stated I have just become less scared on a personal level after the madness  and high anxiety we all felt last March/ April.   It was disappointed for Red to twist my " invigorating " comment as I believe that I have just moved on from being less anxious after assessing the risks and reading more about CV,  Anyway it clearly entertained a few of my " detractors" * ill be polite so thats not a bad thing if it helped them through their day.  I think my friends, family  and my partner would be in hysterics thinking Im a " MAGA" supporter...hysterical.  

1 hour ago, sadj said:

I said in general. Not the specific person it was aimed at. James in an enigma. i wont comment further.

As a societal comment I think it had validity

“Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, **** man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The ****in' shooters don't even know!”

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

You didn't read what I wrote correctly, jonesy, or you simply interpreted it according to your personal template on life. It's so unlike you to try to add fuel to any flames. ;)

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

“Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, **** man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The ****in' shooters don't even know!”

hqdefault.jpg

Great film!

55 minutes ago, sadj said:

No its ok i read my post again I didnt make it clear. Iv spoken to James a couple times on pm. Hopefully he knows my opinion of him. Although i doubt it would bother him either way. 

Possibly looking for negative before positive constantly has done for a few posters. I also think James‘s humour sometimes comes across differently in a post to how its intended or would be seen in person. 

The only post Iv seen where i think he was a bit out of order was the one saying it was prejudice that caused people to have an opinion on him and where he said he liked Jo Cherry 😒

Anyway back to the glass half full or half empty covey debate shall we 🙂

"I also think James‘s humour sometimes comes across differently in a post to how its intended or would be seen in person."     Ill need to work on that Sadj it seems.  Maybe your  one of the sophisticated ones who do  get it.  However there are people in this world who think Chris Rock is funny 

3 minutes ago, LMc said:

Great film!

Incredible . Watched it about 10 times now.  The editing is incredible too as well as the acting esp Mr Pesci 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Keep up the sensible scepticism and critical thinking,  James.👍. A large section of society do seem paralysed by fear about emerging from lockdown. But trying to close down the opinions of those who are not, is extremely unhealthy.

Cheers Enzo 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Keep up the sensible scepticism and critical thinking,  James.👍

This is actually getting cruel. You and Jonesy know full well what you're doing to him. He's the only one that can't see it and it's time it stopped. 🙁

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said Jonesy.  No need for me to repeat much of it but its along my lines of thinking too. Massive stereotypical assumptions about me due to my postings. I dont even feel I have to state that i cant abide Trump but I cant abide Trump or the far right. I have never stated that covid isn't real or down played the severity of it. As you stated I have just become less scared on a personal level after the madness  and high anxiety we all felt last March/ April.   It was disappointed for Red to twist my " invigorating " comment as I believe that I have just moved on from being less anxious after assessing the risks and reading more about CV,  Anyway it clearly entertained a few of my " detractors" * ill be polite so thats not a bad thing if it helped them through their day.  I think my friends, family  and my partner would be in hysterics thinking Im a " MAGA" supporter...hysterical.  

He didn't call you a MAGA supporter. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

And the snider wee personal attacks on those he disagrees with, for which he is not alone, but he is the most prolific poster on the thread.

at least you are upfront when on more than one occasion you’ve informed the thread that you find my “posting style irritating” but where does that fit in with your view of “personal attacks” ?

manaliveits105
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

And with Brexit keeping those pesky Euro Nurses (no, not those ones) out of the country,

not to mention the reduction in attractive lively ladies up toon at the weekends

57 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

hqdefault.jpg

😏 Point proved 🤣

42 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Putting aside the triggered posters, faux amateur phycology , the ad hominem arguments and getting back to COVID. 

I don’t believe kids are going back full time this school year, it will be blended model until the summer. Not sure how they plan to do it as teachers ain’t happy at having to go back and I suspect resource issues 

Primary kids have an outside chance but S1-3 years look like they will potentially be the ones to suffer most. 

This thread needs more faux amateur phycology imo.

giphy.webp

5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

This thread needs more faux amateur phycology imo.

giphy.webp

:D Also, if it's "faux amateur", does that make it professional?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I was not attacking your person, not that I intended anyway.

what was it? feedback? :)

not sure what personal attacks you are referring to in James’s case but seems you’re happy enough they’re different to the feedback you gave me on a couple of occasions

seems legit as they sometimes say

1 hour ago, sadj said:

😏 Point proved 🤣

Am an enigma.......been called worse......usually on this forum..

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

whats the film? That’s Pesci but recognise neither quote or photo

JFK 

53 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Also, if it's "faux amateur", does that make it professional?

Edited by JamesM48
spelling error

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Not sure it was cheap shot, more like bullying, especially when others joined in. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic