Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, escobri said:

Maybe just not to be, don't know the current guidelines where you are but hopefully now just treated as any other flu like virus and not too disruptive to your life.

The only remaining "restrictions" here are masks on public transport and high risk settings like hospitals and aged care facilities. The plan is to let all emergency pandemic legislation drop in July.

I'm hopeful of long haul flights without masks at the end of the year, personally. Hate the things.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

InternationalJambo

Similar narrative continuing where folk were agreeing with countries in the charade of if you don’t get vaccinated, you will be fined & criminalised etc if not and it was a great idea. 

Make of that what you will. 

I’m still waiting on the data from those few weeks we in Scotland we were advised on, that would have seen us turn out better by this time than England though, whilst slaughtering people for suggesting otherwise. 

Remember guys, you need a moral compass for these topics. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

’m still waiting on the data from those few weeks we in Scotland we were advised on, that would have seen us turn out better by this time than England though, whilst slaughtering people for suggesting otherwise. 

eh? 

Footballfirst
8 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

I’m still waiting on the data from those few weeks we in Scotland we were advised on, that would have seen us turn out better by this time than England though, whilst slaughtering people for suggesting otherwise. 

You make reference to waiting for Scotland to turn out better than England.

The ONS infection surveys for the last four weeks have reported that Scotland has been performing "better" than England.  It's perhaps more telling that a certain group of posters are only interested in stats that show Scotland performing worse than England.

Here's the stats for the year to date.

Infection survey.jpg

14 hours ago, escobri said:

Just sharing info, that's all. Definitely won't be on the 10 o'clock news unlike the propaganda.

It was widly publicised. 

The Mighty Thor

I mind the time that several of our more prominent crayon munchers were telling us we wouldn't be able to cope when the pandemic was over.

They're still posting conspiracy shite to each other. 

:kirk:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I mind the time that several of our more prominent crayon munchers were telling us we wouldn't be able to cope when the pandemic was over.

They're still posting conspiracy shite to each other. 

:kirk:

:laugh2:

We have a perfect smiley on JKB for this thread:

:conspiracy:

There's some pretty damming stuff out regarding the gene therapy jabs, please respect others who haven't just done as told by nippy and boris and tried to get informed consent before rolling up sleeves. More data has just been released that they tried to hide for 75 years but conveniently usa is busy wantingto kill babies to care. It will ill be interesting to see if the covid experts on this thread have a read of said data and put us right. 

Brighton Jambo
On 02/05/2022 at 11:39, Footballfirst said:

You make reference to waiting for Scotland to turn out better than England.

The ONS infection surveys for the last four weeks have reported that Scotland has been performing "better" than England.  It's perhaps more telling that a certain group of posters are only interested in stats that show Scotland performing worse than England.

Here's the stats for the year to date.

Infection survey.jpg

The only figure that matters is excess deaths.  Anyone using anything else is deflecting for political purposes.

The image below is from Travelling Tabby.  The top figure is excess deaths per 100k for UK, Second figure is England, Third is Scotland, fourth is Wales, Fifth is NI.

Scotland has by far the highest excess death rate in the UK since the start of the pandemic.  Let’s hope the enquiry finds out how we ended up in the position and the right people face consequences, I won’t hold my breath though.  

DF22CEA9-DFB0-4840-BBDF-B0993A12DBA6.png

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Scotland has by far the highest excess death rate in the UK since the start of the pandemic.  

Because we're a nation of lumbering fattie alcoholics it generally doesn't take much to finish us off.

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The only figure that matters is excess deaths.  Anyone using anything else is deflecting for political purposes.

Thanks for reinforcing my point about a certain group of posters only being interested in stats that show Scotland in a negative way.

Other stats are available.

However, I am in agreement with you to understand how the UK came to have one of the highest excess death rates internationally and for those responsible to be held to account, both nationally and locally. The first steps have been taken with Scotland establishing its public inquiry and with the recent court ruling in England. Let's hope that both UK and Scottish governments cooperate fully and don't allow the process to drag on for years.

Edited by Footballfirst

Dennis Denuto
8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The image below is from Travelling Tabby.  The top figure is excess deaths per 100k for UK, Second figure is England, Third is Scotland, fourth is Wales, Fifth is NI.

Scotland has by far the highest excess death rate in the UK since the start of the pandemic.  Let’s hope the enquiry finds out how we ended up in the position and the right people face consequences, I won’t hold my breath though.  

Your post is entirely for political purposes and very much from your political point of view.  

There are many issues that Scotland was facing from a health point of view preceding the pandemic and most of them were as a result of austerity and health inequalities (poverty basically), just look at the differences in the regions across England.

This is not a simple black and white numbers issue as you are making out.

Jambo_jim2001
17 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Because we're a nation of lumbering fattie alcoholics it generally doesn't take much to finish us off.

Hey sir I ain't no alky😉 fattie that likes a bevvy yes😉👍

henryheart
8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You are correct in that excess deaths is the most crucial statistic, but using other stats to assess political performance during the pandemic is perfectly reasonable given the emphasis placed on these by those who are seeking our votes and the impact that the restrictions they imposed had on the economy and wellbeing of so many people. 

Like you, I suspect that your hopes for the inquiry will come to nothing as is increasingly the case when the performance of the Scottish Government is examined. Perm any number from options that will include lack of UK government funding, the impact of Brexit on hospital staffing levels, the advice of the experts was being followed, if only we could have closed the borders etc etc in response to a heavily redacted report that will need to be so 'for legal reasons'.   

Jambo_jim2001
14 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Seems legit. 

I've always had an open mind not too open that my brain falls out..If indeed they are doctors, scientists, in that video. They appear to be legit, wtaf has been getting injected into folk😮

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Your post is entirely for political purposes and very much from your political point of view.  

There are many issues that Scotland was facing from a health point of view preceding the pandemic and most of them were as a result of austerity and health inequalities (poverty basically), just look at the differences in the regions across England.

This is not a simple black and white numbers issue as you are making out.

So remind me how Long have the SNP been in power in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 ? Or is this just another blame Westminster for absolutely everything wrong in Scotland but praise the SNP when they get some things right ? 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, henryheart said:

You are correct in that excess deaths is the most crucial statistic, but using other stats to assess political performance during the pandemic is perfectly reasonable given the emphasis placed on these by those who are seeking our votes and the impact that the restrictions they imposed had on the economy and wellbeing of so many people. 

Like you, I suspect that your hopes for the inquiry will come to nothing as is increasingly the case when the performance of the Scottish Government is examined. Perm any number from options that will include lack of UK government funding, the impact of Brexit on hospital staffing levels, the advice of the experts was being followed, if only we could have closed the borders etc etc in response to a heavily redacted report that will need to be so 'for legal reasons'.   

Good posting 

Dennis Denuto
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So remind me how Long have the SNP been in power in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 ? Or is this just another blame Westminster for absolutely everything wrong in Scotland but praise the SNP when they get some things right ? 

I am pretty sure I didn't point the finger of blame in any direction, nor did I defend anyone's position. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I am pretty sure I didn't point the finger of blame in any direction, nor did I defend anyone's position. 

Austerity was a Westminster policy . 

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Austerity was a Westminster policy . 

You are free then to draw your own conclusions on who are what is most to blame, I myself think there are a number of causes and a number of agencies to blame.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

You are free then to draw your own conclusions on who are what is most to blame, I myself think there are a number of causes and a number of agencies to blame.

I agree , there are numerous reasons . Not an issue with that . However my point was there has to be some responsibility regarding the Scottish Govt too 

Edited by JamesM48

Dennis Denuto
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree , there are numerous reasons . Not an issue with that . However my point was there has to be some responsibility regarding the Scottish Govt too 

I agree with that - where are the daily press conferences now about the number of preventable deaths (for example due to poverty, which is like a constant coronavirus pandemic ) and what are the Government doing to save these lives?

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for reinforcing my point about a certain group of posters only being interested in stats that show Scotland in a negative way.

Other stats are available.

However, I am in agreement with you to understand how the UK came to have one of the highest excess death rates internationally and for those responsible to be held to account, both nationally and locally. The first steps have been taken with Scotland establishing its public inquiry and with the recent court ruling in England. Let's hope that both UK and Scottish governments cooperate fully and don't allow the process to drag on for years.

Part of the reason I felt the need to post that, and that’s the first time I have posted on this thread in nearly six months, is that I am sick of reading and hearing how well Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish govt have done in their handling of this pandemic.  

Where people stand in their political views seems to determine their views so I have posted hard data.  Sure, other stats are available but how they can they be more significant than the number of people who actually died?

Not all of the factors are the making of the Scottish government and the UK govt undoubtedly takes some blame but we live in Scotland and per 100k of population more people have died than anywhere else and it’s right to ask why and stop peddling this patently nonsense myth that the Scottish government did well in managing this pandemic.  

Dennis Denuto
6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Part of the reason I felt the need to post that, and that’s the first time I have posted on this thread in nearly six months, is that I am sick of reading and hearing how well Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish govt have done in their handling of this pandemic.  

Where people stand in their political views seems to determine their views so I have posted hard data.  Sure, other stats are available but how they can they be more significant than the number of people who actually died?

Not all of the factors are the making of the Scottish government and the UK govt undoubtedly takes some blame but we live in Scotland and per 100k of population more people have died than anywhere else and it’s right to ask why and stop peddling this patently nonsense myth that the Scottish government did well in managing this pandemic.  

Why is the excess death number better than the death certificate number? Especially if you are assessing the performance during the pandemic?

There were very little differences in how the pandemic was handled across the uk, the general policies were the same with a few nuanced and timing differences.

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I'd be wary of using the excess death numbers in isolation.

The demographics of the population also come into the equation.  Scotland has a population whose average age is two years older than that of England. Life expectancy is also two years less. As others have pointed out relative poverty has a bearing on health outcomes, which is also evident in some English regions.

The intention of me posting the table in response to IJ was simply in answer his post that we were still waiting on data. The data was already there.

In my experience of this thread, those with a anti SNP view are quick to post any stat that shows Scotland performing worse than the rUK, while those with pro SNP views are less likely to post stats that show Scotland performing better than the rUK, unless in direct response or to refute a negative view.

Both the UK and Scottish governments have got some things right and some things wrong during the pandemic. I can accept that. Can you?  

Brighton Jambo
35 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Why is the excess death number better than the death certificate number? Especially if you are assessing the performance during the pandemic?

There were very little differences in how the pandemic was handled across the uk, the general policies were the same with a few nuanced and timing differences.

It is better because it takes into account the impact of lockdown decisions and broader restrictions.  Such as for example how hospitals and GP’s were guided to handle non Covid cases.  

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'd be wary of using the excess death numbers in isolation.

The demographics of the population also come into the equation.  Scotland has a population whose average age is two years older than that of England. Life expectancy is also two years less. As others have pointed out relative poverty has a bearing on health outcomes, which is also evident in some English regions.

The intention of me posting the table in response to IJ was simply in answer his post that we were still waiting on data. The data was already there.

In my experience of this thread, those with a anti SNP view are quick to post any stat that shows Scotland performing worse than the rUK, while those with pro SNP views are less likely to post stats that show Scotland performing better than the rUK, unless in direct response or to refute a negative view.

Both the UK and Scottish governments have got some things right and some things wrong during the pandemic. I can accept that. Can you?  

I think the way Boris handled the pandemic was shameful and I hope he reaps the whirlwind of a full enquiry so yes I totally agree both got plenty of things wrong.  He should have resigned 6 months in for his failures on borders, lockdown delays and care homes.  

What I would say in relation to your second paragraph is that those were issues prior to Covid and so should be factored into the standard pre Covid death rates and so shouldn’t be contributing to an ‘excess’ figure.  

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What I would say in relation to your second paragraph is that those were issues prior to Covid and so should be factored into the standard pre Covid death rates and so shouldn’t be contributing to an ‘excess’ figure.  

I appreciate the existence of those pre Covid issues, but IMO they made the general population more susceptible to serious illness and death from Covid.

Even now Scotland has, pro rata, a larger number of people in hospital with Covid than the rUK.

Edited by Footballfirst

Brighton Jambo
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I appreciate the existence of those pre Covid issues, but IMO they made the general population more susceptible to serious illness and death from Covid.

Even now Scotland has, pro rata, a larger number of people in hospital with Covid than the rUK.

You may be right.  However I think what is important is that I reimpose my exile from this thread and get back to debating who we will sign in the summer! 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I agree with that - where are the daily press conferences now about the number of preventable deaths (for example due to poverty, which is like a constant coronavirus pandemic ) and what are the Government doing to save these lives?

Covid was an ideal opportunity to raise public health issues about diet , obesity and health , but it wasn’t at the fore front really . It should be now . However it costs money at times to live a healthier lifestyle . 

Dennis Denuto
20 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It is better because it takes into account the impact of lockdown decisions and broader restrictions.  Such as for example how hospitals and GP’s were guided to handle non Covid cases.  

You have to remember that Excess deaths is a statically calculated number based on trends in the preceding 5 year period, during the pandemic it was compared to the five years up to 2019, it is not an exact number of certified deaths that were clinically unexpected, it moves up and down naturally over time. In the period preceding the Pandemic Scotland was in a strange situation where population age was going up but life expectancy was decreasing. So to assume that pre-pandemic health issues were irrelevant to the excess death rates during it is flawed in my opinion.

If there was a far greater difference in the numbers then I would agree with you but it is small difference, especially when compared to regional differences in England on death figures.

For what its worth I think the Scottish Government deserve huge criticisms for health issues both pre and during the pandemic, but not just because I didn't agree with everything they did and I can then find a stat that makes it look worse than England.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Hey sir I ain't no alky😉 fattie that likes a bevvy yes😉👍

:lol:

weegranty

Arrived home this morning after 2 weeks in Las Vegas,felt a bit rundown,sore head,sore throat and runny nose so just done a test. Bloody positive,was due back at work tomorrow aswell.

22 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Arrived home this morning after 2 weeks in Las Vegas,felt a bit rundown,sore head,sore throat and runny nose so just done a test. Bloody positive,was due back at work tomorrow aswell.

Take it your boss reads kickback.

😜

JudyJudyJudy
35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The vast majority of folk have thrown away their masks :) 

Infection numbers are plummeting like Hibs do post-Christmas :) 

Yet some folk still wear the things when wandering about the streets :conf11:

Literally no one was wearing one in the Packed Train carriage I was in yesterday . 

58 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The vast majority of folk have thrown away their masks :) 

Infection numbers are plummeting like Hibs do post-Christmas :) 

Yet some folk still wear the things when wandering about the streets :conf11:

Could've been at the dentist, teeth oot, cold air/fear of getting wound infected...who knows, certainly not the one observing?...:brows:

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Happy days! Fewer folk scared of catching something they've been triple vaccinated against which may make them feel like they have a cold.

Hopefully the airlines drop the mask nonsense soon, too.

Yes hopefully they do too. 

JudyJudyJudy

I received a weird email from NHS " You have successfully booked/ changed your appointment for .....bla bla bla" 

Anyway it seems to be for a 4th jab.  But it doesn't even say that either. Its def a valid email addy too. Anyway ill phone the number provided and find out what its all about . I would have assumed they would have posted a letter about a new appointment date?   That means I might have a 4 jab within one year ?  And I have had covid too ? NO thanks. 

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I received a weird email from NHS " You have successfully booked/ changed your appointment for .....bla bla bla" 

Anyway it seems to be for a 4th jab.  But it doesn't even say that either. Its def a valid email addy too. Anyway ill phone the number provided and find out what its all about . I would have assumed they would have posted a letter about a new appointment date?   That means I might have a 4 jab within one year ?  And I have had covid too ? NO thanks. 

No way, you're opposed to whatever it is that's going on in the world of covid. Shocked!

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

No way, you're opposed to whatever it is that's going on in the world of covid. Shocked!

4 jabs in one year ? Even when you have had covid ! 

52 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Happy days! Fewer folk scared of catching something they've been triple vaccinated against which may make them feel like they have a cold.

Hopefully the airlines drop the mask nonsense soon, too.

I'm going to Turkey on Friday with Jet2 and I'm still not sure what the rules are, it does say this on their website though.

Screenshot_20220509-101810.png

indianajones
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm going to Turkey on Friday with Jet2 and I'm still not sure what the rules are, it does say this on their website though.

Screenshot_20220509-101810.png

Masks on a plane.

Sitting in a tin can with circulated air for however many hours. 

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thought you had a weakened immune system?

Your choice to dice with becoming another statistic but seems strange to kick up fuss about the country's health care system trying to look after you.

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

And you stomped your feet, moaned, and swore you wouldn't be getting the other 3 too!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )