Sporting Director - unconfirmed

CloustonHMFC

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

O’Neill seems to have been elevated to a god-like status where his opinions trump those of any other experienced ex-pros.
Not sure why?

Micheal O’Neil.......

or Allan Preston

or Willie Miller

You won’t have to dig far as to why people value his option over the other two.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• GinRummy

• CloustonHMFC

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

How do you know whether or not he was ‘calling the shots’ to any extent? None of us do.

It would be a highly unusual setup for the assistant manager to be telling the manager what to do.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

It would be a highly unusual setup for the assistant manager to be telling the manager what to do.

Unless you’re at Livingston....

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Except the manager only reports to Ann Budge, not the Sporting Director. 

Edit. Sorry, I misread your post. 

Edited by Paris 84

5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Are there only three ex-pros in existence? OK then.

Who’s opinion would you give more credibility to....

A successful manager who had MacPhee as part of his team for about 5 years or so....

or

A whole load of guys who haven’t. Most of which have been absolute failures in management.

Take your time.......

Just now, Barack said:

When one of those mentioned takes their country to a Finals, and to the brink of another one, with a relatively limited squad with a good team spirit & ethic, coupled with a knowledgeable coaching group...perhaps then they can offer insight worthy of their past careers. 

Rather than snidely belittling a fellow professional. They've no more an objective fact-based opinion of MacPhee for example, than of the colour of the diarrhoea, dribbling from their mouths.

They weren’t belittling O’Neill though.

Their criticism of MacPhee was, indeed, ridiculous but let’s not convolute things here.

8 minutes ago, weehammy said:

How do you know whether or not he was ‘calling the shots’ to any extent? None of us do.

Wind up merchant

Just now, Barack said:

I'm meaning Austin, Boabster.

Yes, I thought you were, mate, but AM has been a very good assistant but only to a very good manager. 

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Surely they would reach some decisions together though. I'm all for Austin getting the role but nobody knows what part he has played in the terrible runs of results we have had.

Can neither accuse or exempt him.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

For the record, I didn’t mention either of those two. My point is that anyone doubting MacPhee’s credentials based on evidence of what he has achieved AT HEARTS must be wrong because O’Neill favours him? Given the disaster of the last three years, has MacPhee no responsibility at all? It’s a legitimate question that has nothing to do with BBC pundits.

When things are going bad for a team and they want the manager out....

How many times have you heard the crowd chanting for the assistant coach  to go ?

Won’t be many. And there is a very good reason for this.....he is there to assist the guy in charge. Most reasonable thinking people get that.

In the times he’s had to be the number one his record is won 4 out of 5.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Surely they would reach some decisions together though. I'm all for Austin getting the role but nobody knows what part he has played in the terrible runs of results we have had.

Can neither accuse or exempt him.

Exactly, so we need to give the club the benefit of the doubt and trust they know far better than we do, rather than calling for somebody to be sacked based on a hunch.

Perfect fit for Austin imo 👍🏻 

I’m guessing he will be involved with more of this sort of stuff?

Edited by ShedBoy

Just now, Barack said:

Must admit, I've only dived into the last page. If AM as the main coach is the thrust of it, then not for me. But I certainly take O'Neill's working relationship with him as a broader indication of his possible future abilities as coach. Rather than if he's wearing a suit.

As it is, I've no issue with him as potential SD, as I've said previously. I think that side of it, is more him. He's not a stupid person, and his business dealings & contacts at a relatively young age show that.

He could run a fish & chip shop, put it that way.

We’ll never find out but it would have been interesting to see how we would have performed had he been put in to, say, chrimbo. 
Never going to happen of course but I wish him well.

7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

When things are going bad for a team and they want the manager out....

How many times have you heard the crowd chanting for the assistant coach  to go ?

Won’t be many. And there is a very good reason for this.....he is there to assist the guy in charge. Most reasonable thinking people get that.

In the times he’s had to be the number one his record is won 4 out of 5.

Are the manager and assistant not seen as more of a team, therefore a call for the manager to be sacked isn’t essentially seen as a shout for both to go?

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Are the manager and assistant not seen as more of a team, therefore a call for the manager to be sacked isn’t essentially seen as a shout for both to go?

They are.

But it doesn’t mean that because the manager is doing a shite job the assistant isn’t capable of doing a job.

Its quite a blinkered view by automatically assuming both are as bad as each other.

Aye, but we work differently. 

Fans want to feel refreshed. Feel like something new is coming but Fox , Daly and co remain. 

In the short term we could’ve had Park and Kirk in charge with other backroom staff helping cover other duties for a limited period.  

Maybe something will happen today? , I hope so.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
55 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I said in my post that many fans wanted him punted COMPLETELY in others words right out of the club. 
The point I was trying to make was how some fans can do complete u-turns in the space of a few weeks, I wasn’t making any comment on that post about his suitability as a SD.

There’s no need for Sanctimonious posts, I’m not belittling your opinion there is no need to belittle mine.

Simply checking, chill :). But sanctimonious doesn't need a capital S and did you really need to shout?  I have such a sare heid  :(

Many supporters, most on this thread it would appear, seem to be happy with this suggested more suitable role, which is good I think

Just now, DH1986 said:

They are.

But it doesn’t mean that because the manager is doing a shite job the assistant isn’t capable of doing a job.

Its quite a blinkered view by automatically assuming both are as bad as each other.

It’s hardly blinkered to suggest they share the same ideas and philosophies on the game. 

The man management side of things is a different matter however, and that is probably where the assistant has to curb his own ideas in deference to the head coach. 

I actually thought he got more of a hard time of it when Cathro was in charge. The old lap top conventions on the touch line.

Probably tainted as Cathro was hopeless so Levein failing was going to come back at him as well.

As I said, we may never find out how he would cope as the main guy.

It’s hardly blinkered to suggest they share the same ideas and philosophies on the game. 

The man management side of things is a different matter however, and that is probably where the assistant has to curb his own ideas in deference to the head coach. 

If you look at two backgrounds of Levein and MacPhee I’d be surprised if they both had the same ideas and philosophies tbh.

MacPhee has been round the world learning his trade whilst CL was definitely a bit more traditional.

Absolute Scenes
8 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

IF Austin get the SD job what happens on the training ground with Ryotaro only speaking Japanese?

i'm sure he'll still be there to help with stuff

9 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

IF Austin get the SD job what happens on the training ground with Ryotaro only speaking Japanese?

I would hope Ryotaro's command of the English language is coming to a decent level eg can he swear in English yet?

Coburg Hearts
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Michael O Neill obviously rates him very highly and suggests he is made for the role. 

Who should we listen to. Some frothing punters or a highly respected football coach who attributes part of his success to the man?

**** its a head scratcher 

It's a hard one.

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I would hope Ryotaro's command of the English language is coming to a decent level eg can he swear in English yet?

He has some English and is taking English classes. The final test of that is to have a conversation with Gary Locke.

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

O’Neill seems to have been elevated to a god-like status where his opinions trump those of any other experienced ex-pros.
Not sure why?

The experienced ex-pros you talk about either failed comprehensively as managers eg Willie Miller, Derek Ferguson or haven’t had the bottle to try it as a manager eg Biscuits and Stewart. Not sure I would listen to anything they have to say re what it takes to be a successful manager. 

58 minutes ago, Barack said:

When one of those mentioned takes their country to a Finals, and to the brink of another one, with a relatively limited squad with a good team spirit & ethic, coupled with a knowledgeable coaching group...perhaps then they can offer insight worthy of their past careers. 

Rather than snidely belittling a fellow professional. They've no more an objective fact-based opinion of MacPhee for example, than of the colour of the diarrhoea, dribbling from their mouths.

Exactly. And in McPhee’s case he has been part of backroom staff at both a World Cup finals and a Euros finals. More management experience than all of them combined. 

26 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

He can speak English just no very well so they've got Gary Locke translating

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The experienced ex-pros you talk about either failed comprehensively as managers eg Willie Miller, Derek Ferguson or haven’t had the bottle to try it as a manager eg Biscuits and Stewart. Not sure I would listen to anything they have to say re what it takes to be a successful manager. 

And the talk about him was seen so ill-informed and poor that Sportsound had to apologise about it a week later.

MacPhee would make a great SD and the fact he almost was given the same role at the SFA shows they believed it too. People have already listed his many ideal qualities for the role on here so wont go over them again.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

And the talk about him was seen so ill-informed and poor that Sportsound had to apologise about it a week later.

MacPhee would make a great SD and the fact he almost was given the same role at the SFA shows they believed it too. People have already listed his many ideal qualities for the role on here so wont go over them again.

100% this. 

33 minutes ago, Boab said:

I actually thought he got more of a hard time of it when Cathro was in charge. The old lap top conventions on the touch line.

Probably tainted as Cathro was hopeless so Levein failing was going to come back at him as well.

As I said, we may never find out how he would cope as the main guy.

Quite right too. Managers should serve their apprenticeship at a lower level. If Cathro had been manager of anyone at all before Hearts, we would've seen how woefully inadequate he is as a man manager already.

Coburg Hearts
4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Mark McGhee is still sitting in that airport hoping Vlad will return.

Those were the days. haha Remember being gutted when he didn't get on that plane, but in retrospect we dodged a bullet.

21 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He has some English and is taking English classes. The final test of that is to have a conversation with Gary Locke.

Eh?  Have you tried to have a conversation with someone in Bonnyrigg?

jamboinglasgow
Just now, JamboAl said:

Eh?  Have you tried to have a conversation with someone in Bonnyrigg?

exactly, if you can understand what he is saying then you can can understand any English speaker.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So, the announcement?

Waiting for Austin to have a shave, keep the press happy 

10 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Those were the days. haha Remember being gutted when he didn't get on that plane, but in retrospect we dodged a bullet.

You mean we dodged a ROCKET! :)

Yeah let's keep the assistant manager who helped preside over 2 and a quarter failed seasons. In fact let's promote him as a reward for his sterling work. Only Hearts would appoint Levein in the manner they did, get rid of him sort of in the manner they did and keep and promote the guy who assisted him. 🙈👎😡

Edited by bighalders
Error

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Yeah let's keep the assistant manager who helped preside over 2 and a quarter failed seasons. In fact let's promote him as a reward for his sterling work. Only Hearts would appoint Levein in the manner they did, get rid of him sort of in the manner they did and keep and promote the guy who assisted him. 🙈👎😡

We are a laughing stock mate. Budge is out her depth....AGAIN.

2 minutes ago, bighalders said:

Top Trolling or another member of the just don't get it gang?

3 minutes ago, bighalders said:

This

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

You from Bonnyrigg Al? 

Not Bonnyrigg but not too far away.

I played footie there several times as a youth though and worked with good people from there.

I may add that that wasn't yesterday.

15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Fair enough.. deserves a crack at that gig

He has done nothing to deserve staying at Hearts.

Edited by mitch41

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

He wasn't calling the shots for those three years.

If your manager got sacked for poor perfomance in his job, would you expect to get sacked along with him despite the fact you were simply carrying out his instructions?

McPhee worked more with the first team than Levein. The two of them as well as Daly and Fox should be emptied.

If McPhee is made Sporting Director I will be more about saving money by not having to sack him.

How do I know this because suddenly McPhee seems to be the new blue eyed boy as his incompetence 

as Assistant Manager has a few people coming out and saying the way Hearts played was nothing to 

do with him which is b######t.

Edited by mitch41

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not Bonnyrigg but not too far away.

I played footie there several times as a youth though and worked with good people from there.

I may add that that wasn't yesterday.

Are you suggesting it's gone downhill since Al?