Sporting Director - unconfirmed

CloustonHMFC

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think the fact that he has never been a manager is a good thing.  Putting an experienced manager in that role could undermine the manager and the temptation to get involved, offer advice  interfere is always there. McPhee has a lot of experience with academies and ,identifying players and has good contacts. He has also worked right across the globe too, which can only be a good thing. If confirmed, it will be a good appointment imo and it will end any talk of him being appointed manager.

What he said. 

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• GinRummy

• CloustonHMFC

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That was just Brian McLaughlin stirring it along with his old mates Preston and Miller. 

I didn’t even know McLaughlin said it. I’ve met MacPhee and I can understand why folk wouldn’t get on with him.

4 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Glad he's being kept on. The guy worked with his hands tied under cathro and levein. Out of interest what does a SD do?

Looks after all footballing matters except the first team management. A very sensible appointment for Austin  by AB. Knows the club, it’s strengths and the weaknesses. 

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I didn’t even know McLaughlin said it. I’ve met MacPhee and I can understand why folk wouldn’t get on with him.

Maybe he is a marmite type. I know someone, really good guy, who is best mates with him. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Absolutely the right choice for me. Imagine we could have a double announcement today. 

Evening News holding off this morning,  I smell a news day.

Allowayjambo1874

Don’t get the love-in, his arrival has coincided with the shitfest we find ourself in. Obviously not all down to him but seems bulletproof in all this and no idea why he suddenly has become ‘the ideal man for this appointment’.

Would have preferred a total cull with only Kirk surviving. 

Edited by Allowayjambo1874

I was against AM staying in any capacity after CL left. The more I thought about it the more I reckoned he'd be a good fit as SD. Knows the club, good business experience, good contacts, history of setting up systems to develop youth and talks well.

Would be pleased if he was appointed.

Delighted if that's the case. He's a clever guy with lots to offer. Let's get the manager in now so that we can get back to where we should be.

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Don’t get the love-in, his arrival has coincided with the shitfest we find ourself in. Obviously not all down to him but seems bulletproof in all this and no idea why he suddenly has become ‘the ideal man for this appointment’.

Totally agree with you! Once again we reward failure 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, blairdin said:

I know Budge likes him, but I'm not so sure he'll be either Sporting Director or first team boss (call it what you will). 

We'll know soon enough. 

I've never been in any doubt. Listening to Budge and MacPhee interviews since Levein departed its been plain to see.

Only fly, if he fancies Stoke 

Rather that than anywhere near the dugout to be honest but still would have went for a totally fresh approach. 
What exactly is the sporting director’s remit anyway?? 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I was against AM staying in any capacity after CL left. The more I thought about it the more I reckoned he'd be a good fit as SD. Knows the club, good business experience, good contacts, history of setting up systems to develop youth and talks well.

Would be pleased if he was appointed.

I think AM has the maturity and experience of football worldwide to understand the responsibilities (and limitations!) of the role and also to work effectively with a head coach from any background. 

It will be difficult to quantify how succesful he will be but I think he is as good a candidate as anyone else and it makes sense to have someone who understands the club. 

The only issue I see is that AM clearly enjoys the tactical challenges of the game and that is not in his remit now. But he will know what the tole involves before he starts. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

His boss got sacked. If your boss is under performing does that mean you sack everyone below them,  even good people dragged down? Including you?

Allowayjambo1874
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Totally agree with you! Once again we reward failure 

Wonder how many times people said he can gtf on the levein out mega thread that was on here last month and now he’s the ideal candidate for a vital position within the club. 
absolute bonkers 

Allowayjambo1874
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

His boss got sacked. If your boss is under performing does that mean you sack everyone below them,  even good people dragged down? Including you?

If two of my bosses in a row got sacked and the business I was involved in had been underperforming since my arrival it’s fair to say I would be worried. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Spurs sack manager , his assistant goes with him , the hobos sack manager , his assistant goes with him ! But we reward failure 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Allowayjambo1874 said:

If two of my bosses in a row got sacked and the business I was involved in had been underperforming since my arrival it’s fair to say I would be worried. 

Exactly 

Just now, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Wonder how many times people said he can gtf on the levein out mega thread that was on here last month and now he’s the ideal candidate for a vital position within the club. 
absolute bonkers 

I was one of them. People change their mind though. I'd also have been happy to swap Levein for Gary Holt or Neil McCann but am now looking for someone better. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Rather that than anywhere near the dugout to be honest but still would have went for a totally fresh approach. 
What exactly is the sporting director’s remit anyway?? 

To direct the sporty stuff? 

I think it's networking( USA, Japan, man City) contracts, sourcing possible players. Doing some of the leg work with the recruitment. Accountable for our entire set up behind the first team ( working with the loans manager/ development mgt team)? 

Almost a commercial / marketing role within the context of football. 

That's how I see it, but I could be launching slaver grenades all over the place. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

I wouldn't, I'd expect a promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I've never been in any doubt. Listening to Budge and MacPhee interviews since Levein departed its been plain to see.

His name is not being mentioned by anyone in Stoke with any seriousness. O’Neill has had a week to persuade him, mind!

Rumours they are after Jonny Hayes and Sam Cosgrove though. 

Can't believe he's still got a job at the club but the saving grace is hopefully he'll be locked in an office somewhere with his laptop and nowhere near the pitch.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I wouldn't, I'd expect a promotion. 

Join Hearts mate, promotion seems to be the reward for being shite.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Can't believe he's still got a job at the club but the saving grace is hopefully he'll be locked in an office somewhere with his laptop and nowhere near the pitch.

It's unbelievable in my opinion! Been part of total failure beside cathro and levein but we've become a football club who accept failure and actually reward it 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Join Hearts mate, promotion seems to be the reward for being shite.

I'm fabby. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They can roll him out when any Irish lads need someone to speak to

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

To direct the sporty stuff? 

I think it's networking( USA, Japan, man City) contracts, sourcing possible players. Doing some of the leg work with the recruitment. Accountable for our entire set up behind the first team ( working with the loans manager/ development mgt team)? 

Almost a commercial / marketing role within the context of football. 

That's how I see it, but I could be launching slaver grenades all over the place. 

Yeah I kind of thought that’s what it would involve. There’s no doubt Mcphee is capable of doing all that but it does seem like we have just chosen the easy option yet again. Really not sure about the player recruiting bit? As long as the manager always has the final say I suppose. 

Klopp was part of the team that got the manager at Mainz sacked before he took over with no managerial experience at all.

Under JBK logic there would have been aneurysms by 99% of fans with this appointment.

(I'm not saying McPhee is Klopp, just pointing out the ridiculiousness of some of the comments)

Just now, rick witter said:

Yeah I kind of thought that’s what it would involve. There’s no doubt Mcphee is capable of doing all that but it does seem like we have just chosen the easy option yet again. Really not sure about the player recruiting bit? As long as the manager always has the final say I suppose. 

As far as I can gather first team recruitment is generally a discussion between manager and SD. With SD more involved with talking to clubs and agents.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

McPhee has very little experience of being a manager and no experience whatsoever of being a Sporting Director. I’m puzzled why people are happy about this. 

So unless someone has a done a specific job already they shouldn't ever get a chance at it? The guy has been involved in a lot of football matches, international players and seems to have networked really well. He's set up this youth tournament and the links to the American teams etc. He talks very well about the game and definitely has something about him that makes me think he is an asset to Hearts. If it were the Managers role I'd be upset but I think he suits this job.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Yeah, in regards to transfers, I think he follows up on the manager requests and ofc may make the manager aware of any possible transfers of interest. 

Hopefully he gets tie ins with some big clubs. 

Given he knocked back the SFA and a role in Japan, I think he's suited to this. 

In fact, maybe even quite a coup given his status relative to Hearts. 

Also good that's he's removed from the coaching side, fresh faces required, but our new manager was always going to bring in his own am so that wasn't really an issue imo. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

Klopp was part of the team that got the manager at Mainz sacked before he took over with no managerial experience at all.

Under JBK logic there would have been aneurysms by 99% of fans with this appointment.

(I'm not saying McPhee is Klopp, just pointing out the ridiculiousness of some of the comments)

Pretty sure klopp wasn't part of the disaster macphee has been the last 3 years ! Results like losing to peterhead , 5 nil at livvy etc 

highlandjambo3

Hope we burst Kilmarnock.........wonder how AM’s profile will change then.  Hope to see him run onto the pitch and boot a water bottle as well.

If true, not sure what to make if it.   He has been part of the last two failed coaching regimes.   Also, is he qualified for a role, which appears to be more of an administrative one.   

Shocked by the swathes of positivity toward this. Wanted him gone. One win against St mirren and all of a sudden the horrible recent past is forgotten?

Would have preferred a total clear out, and clean break after the levein/cathro debacle. 

Folk still too thick to understand that the role of Assistant Coach and Sporting Director are different and require a completely different skill set.

Give the guy a break...give him the benefit of the doubt....let him get on with this job and judge him on that alone.

He was the Assistant Coach for just under 3 years.....we don’t know how much influence he’s had on first team matters. We do know he’s been instrumental in signings like Lafferty, Smith and Washington. 

I think he’ll excel in his new role.

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Pretty sure klopp wasn't part of the disaster macphee has been the last 3 years ! Results like losing to peterhead , 5 nil at livvy etc 

What you on about? My point was by your logic Mainz wouldn't have hired Klopp because he was an intigral part of the team that was so poor the previous manager was sacked.

28 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No, but often senior staff do get let go, especially ones who worked directly with the two failed bosses. 

Edited by Paolo

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, E6 Inc said:

What you on about? My point was by your logic Mainz wouldn't have hired Klopp because he was an intigral part of the team that was so poor the previous manager was sacked.

My point was klopp wasn't part of 2 failed managers 

Absolute Scenes

McPhee is an asset to the club, in ways other than just management. His credentials and contacts have allowed us to sign guys like Michael Smith, Washington et al. Would be happy with this

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, communist said:

Shocked by the swathes of positivity toward this. Wanted him gone. One win against St mirren and all of a sudden the horrible recent past is forgotten?

Would have preferred a total clear out, and clean break after the levein/cathro debacle. 

Do you understand what a Sporting Director's role is? Or just bumping your gums?

Asking for a mate

Fester road Hobo trolls and clapped out BBC pundits will be all over this ranting that Austin is unpopular, hard to get on with, miserly, doesn’t know the game, inexperienced  etc. The endorsement from Michael o’ Neil was superb and made all those bitters look like slavering erseholes.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think the fact that he has never been a manager is a good thing.  Putting an experienced manager in that role could undermine the manager and the temptation to get involved, offer advice  interfere is always there. McPhee has a lot of experience with academies and ,identifying players and has good contacts. He has also worked right across the globe too, which can only be a good thing. If confirmed, it will be a good appointment imo and it will end any talk of him being appointed manager.

Spot on Enzo.

MacPhee already shown he knows how to run the business side of footballing activities given his success in his own business.

42 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

There's other flies there for me. He's only an asset to the club if he can earn respect and buy in for his vision and ideas from the people that'll report to him. 

If the Sporting Director role is a wider remit than the first team, he needs more than a big contact book and rapport with senior players and agents. 

I still don't think he's the stand out obvious choice. I don't know who is.