Sporting Director - unconfirmed

CloustonHMFC

6 minutes ago, Prof said:

Fester road Hobo trolls and clapped out BBC pundits will be all over this ranting that Austin is unpopular, hard to get on with, miserly, doesn’t know the game, inexperienced  etc. The endorsement from Michael o’ Neil was superb and made all those bitters look like slavering erseholes.

Dear Willie Miller

Related image

Love Austin x

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• GinRummy

• CloustonHMFC

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Michael O Neill obviously rates him very highly and suggests he is made for the role. 

Who should we listen to. Some frothing punters or a highly respected football coach who attributes part of his success to the man?

**** its a head scratcher 

This, to all the old dinosaurs.

At Hearts, the DoF  / Sporting Director picks the team...blah, blah.

At H&*b$, the DoF  / Sporting Director picks the team...blah, blah.

At Rankers...nothing to see here.

At C£l**c...nothing to see here.

Etc.

Best ignored.

Allowayjambo1874
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Michael O Neill obviously rates him very highly and suggests he is made for the role. 

Who should we listen to. Some frothing punters or a highly respected football coach who attributes part of his success to the man?

**** its a head scratcher 

Shall we reprise all the football experts quoted saying  cathro was an excellent coach and would do well?

People are permitted to have doubts if this appointment is made given his association with failure at the club thus far.

all about opinions. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Shall we reprise all the football experts quoted saying  cathro was an excellent coach and would do well?

People are permitted to have doubts if this appointment is made given his association with failure at the club thus far.

all about opinions. 

Yeah and my opinion is I respect O'Neill. 

Great appointment

PS Cathro is a great coach,  shit manager,  but that needed to be found out

Edited by Sir Gio

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe he is a marmite type. I know someone, really good guy, who is best mates with him. 

Strangely enough so do I. My mates twin brother has new him since school. Small world.

1 hour ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Yeah, one of the reporters on Sportsound, maybe Brian mclauchlin (?) when the news of Levein's sacking broke stated he'd be amazed if MacPhee was given either top job, as he's strongly disliked in the Hearts dressing room.

No idea whether there's any credence to this claim though.

As SD he'll be nowhere near the dressing room so it's doesn't really matter a jot does it?

My only slight concern over him getting the SD job is that if there is still a desire on his part to manage then he may only be here another year or two and for me stability in the SD role is just as, if not more important than stability of the managers position.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think the fact that he has never been a manager is a good thing.  Putting an experienced manager in that role could undermine the manager and the temptation to get involved, offer advice  interfere is always there. McPhee has a lot of experience with academies and ,identifying players and has good contacts. He has also worked right across the globe too, which can only be a good thing. If confirmed, it will be a good appointment imo and it will end any talk of him being appointed manager.

I agree. He probably has more experience of running a successful sports business than of man managing football players. 

1 hour ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

If two of my bosses in a row got sacked and the business I was involved in had been underperforming since my arrival it’s fair to say I would be worried. 

I've had 3 shit bosses in a row and the department's a mess because of their accumulated ineptitude. 

I work hard, do what I'm asked, and do a good job though, I'm under no threat.

55 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Do you understand what a Sporting Director's role is? Or just bumping your gums?

Asking for a mate

Witty and quick. Nice. 

Can you tell me why you think a guy that has played an integral part of 2 failed systems (including transfers) should now be in charge of our footballing department? 

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've had 3 shit bosses in a row and the department's a mess because of their accumulated ineptitude. 

I work hard, do what I'm asked, and do a good job though, I'm under no threat.

Sounds like McDonalds.

1 minute ago, communist said:

Witty and quick. Nice. 

Can you tell me why you think a guy that has played an integral part of 2 failed systems (including transfers) should now be in charge of our footballing department? 

I'd strongly suggest the successful signings have been those MacPhee has influenced.  Smith / Washington / Meshino / Lafferty / Whelan ?

Just now, communist said:

Witty and quick. Nice. 

Define “integral”.......

We really have no firm knowledge of the extent of his influence over training, team selection, tactics and recruitment.

How many assistants get the blame for bad results ? 

Its just easy to tar everyone with the same brush. It’s not so easy to think outside the box and see the guy obviously has great potential value in another area.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, communist said:

Witty and quick. Nice. 

What evidence do you have. Details please,  good bad, clear introduction and conclusion would be great,  ta, asking for another friend  :)

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, communist said:

Witty and quick. Nice. 

What transfers has Austin MacPhee been “integral” in, that have been failures? Because the ones I know of he’s been personally involved with have been players he has links with from international duty, so Michael Smith, Connor Washington, Meshino. There’s a couple to name a few. So tell me what he has done wrong personally to stop him getting the gig? Because he’s still relied on by the NI team, and their doing alright? 

Austin MacPhee would walk into another team with other offers. He’s an asset to the club, maybe not on the management front as I said, but in what he can bring and his connections to football outside of hearts.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Define “integral”.......

We really have no firm knowledge of the extent of his influence over training, team selection, tactics and recruitment.

Its just easy to tar everyone with the same brush. It’s not so easy to think outside the box and see the guy obviously has great potential value in another area.

Exactly

13 minutes ago, communist said:

maybe the guy in charge didn’t listen or maybe he was incorrectly placed according to his skill set. Could be all number of reasons. Shouldn’t automatically make him a poor choice For this role. 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Spurs sack manager , his assistant goes with him , the hobos sack manager , his assistant goes with him ! But we reward failure 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

It's unbelievable in my opinion! Been part of total failure beside cathro and levein but we've become a football club who accept failure and actually reward it 

Sporting Director is a totally different job.

Bringing Michael Smith, Kyle Laffery, Ryotaro Meshino to the club isn't a failure. 

Developing the youth set up is a new task completely..

Huge step up from Assistant to Director. Huge amount of additional responsibility and expectation. Seems to have something about him so hope he thrives in the role.

Any idea why we've waited 3 weeks to make it official?

Just now, DH1986 said:

Define “integral”.......

You’re right. Any assumptions made about AM under Levein were just that. Assumptions. 
Taking the team for the best part of the week was the most used assumption and left him open to criticism that he was as culpable as Levein in setting up the team.

At the end of Levein’s tenure I wanted them all out but now, with hindsight, I would like him to stay in some capacity.

I would hope the new manager would have his own guys with him mind !

And just to add, Levein’s desk should have been cleared on the day of his termination.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Huge step up from Assistant to Director. Huge amount of additional responsibility and expectation. Seems to have something about him so hope he thrives in the role.

Possibly due to his role with NI, would imagine he would have wanted to concentrate solely on trying to help them qualify for the euros. 

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Announce the jobs together?

But Austin wanted the managers job also. 

1 minute ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Possibly due to his role with NI, would imagine he would have wanted to concentrate solely on trying to help them qualify for the euros. 

Also if , NITK , new manager in place both he and AM would need to have a blether

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So now that Levein has been sacked, it's MacPhee that's now the bulletproof one according to some :lol:

Nobody's bulletproof but it's not fair to judge the suitability of Austin McPhee for the SD job based on his boss's mistakes as manager.

How about we give the new set up a chance ?

It appears we may be getting the manager that the majority of fans wanted but you can't please all the people all the time as proved with this thread.

7 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

I'm assuming though they knew all along he was going to be SD so they could have announced him when they announced the role so he was already in situ before the break but it's a good point though, hadn't thought about that.

From what I saw, McPhee had plenty to do with the first team. 

He took training quite alot and there’s no way given the extent of his input and the way he controlled training games, that he was carrying out solely the managers orders.  

The SD role may be his forte though. Given his contacts, influence in bringing certain players and his other personal abilities. As long as he’s not got any input with the first team (which I’m sure will be the case)

Edited by Debut 4

Chuffed if it is Austin. Modern thinker, great connections, dreams big. Everything we want.

You all need to remember SD is a background figure. Most of the folk complaining prob wouldn't even know we had one had this not all been so public.

What interests me when AM takes over (should it be him) is whether John Murray remains at the club and if we stick with Box Soccer. Got a gut feeling both may be binned.

Just now, Prof said:

No matter who is appointed to either role there is a good few on here who will moan. 

It’s Kickback, mate. A thread ripping Hibs turned into an argument about when decades start !!

MacPhee is not only a good coach and highly regarded in that way he also a businessman. He's had his business AMsports running for longer than he has been a coach and I'm pretty sure it was him that started up Cupar Hearts aswell. So the director business aspect won't be an issue 

Selkirkhmfc1874
42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sporting Director is a totally different job.

Bringing Michael Smith, Kyle Laffery, Ryotaro Meshino to the club isn't a failure. 

Developing the youth set up is a new task completely..

So he's went from leveins assistant to leveins boss ? There should be a complete clear out of the losers from the club in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

So he's went from leveins assistant to leveins boss ? There should be a complete clear out of the losers from the club in my opinion 

You have the inside info on Levein?

What's he doing? 

4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That would be Ann Budge too then. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

You have the inside info on Levein?

What's he doing? 

Getting paid for **** all, same as the last three years.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

That would be Ann Budge too then. 

Mrs Budge has done an amazing job on the business side of the club while the football department have failed miserably and wasted vast amounts of money in the process