Jack Ross

Last Laff

21 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Jack Ross manager and McPhee as sports director?

Nope. 

He needs to leave our club ASAP. 

Worked with Cathro and Levein and doesn't bring anything to the table apart from his clipboard and pen. 😏

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

• soonbe110

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

Whoever is appointed, whatever their past record, will represent a punt. It always does.

And whoever is appointed will inevitably be applauded by some on here and rejected by others.

Just stating the obvious.

Absolutely correct. There is no recruitment process in the universe that guarantees that a football manager will be successful - if there was, everyone would use it. Just because Jack Ross failed at Sunderland, doesn't mean he will be a failure (or success) in his next position. Brian Clough failed at Leeds, struggled to get a job, was hired by Forest, got them promoted and won 2 European Cups with them. Ann Budge will go through her process, pick who she and the rest of the board think is the best candidate, and then trust to the gods that it works out well. And repeat all this at regular intervals over the next decade.

I always thought Mrs. Budge was giving CL far too long because she was hoping he would turn things around so she wouldn't have to do a major reshuffle of the playing side before she relinquished control and stepped aside. The question now is whether she has the fight in her to make drastic changes to the footballing structure or whether she just wants the easy option (i.e. avoiding relegation) before ducking out and leaving someone else to sort it out. If the latter she will probably go for a safe "Hearts man" but if she wants to leave a fantastic legacy then she will have a big job on her hands for her remaining tenure.

Raman@stv

Hearing that Hibs shortlist for managerial post down two or three candidates, which includes Jack Ross. Celtic number 2 John Kennedy was considered for the post, but STV understands Kennedy is no longer a candidate

Walter Bishop

According my mate, who is a Hibs fan, word is that Jack Ross was at Hibs training ground today being introduced to members of staff.

Edited by Walter Bishop

38 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

According my mate, who is a Hibs fan, word is that Jack Ross was at Hibs training ground today being introduced to members of staff.

Not true.  Ross and Kennedy have both told them to bolt.  They will fall back on old squinty eye and do a Budge and pretend they wanted him all along.  

20 hours ago, jambocub said:

Based on ?

Based on he turned them down when only realistically it will be us them or the sheep who will be his next employer. 

5 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Nah. Better to invent things then watch as roasters become apoplectic at completely made up stuff. 

😂😂😂

Coburg Hearts
6 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

There is absolutely no way of knowing this. We don't know how it's being conducted. which CV's we have, what the process is, who the Sporting Director will be, which apparently will be the 1st appointment. The rest of your post was good but the bit in bold is plain garbage.

This in spades. (Hearts too)

13 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Would you give Jon Daly extra time as the interim?
His record previously is Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 1

his playing career is also more impressive than MacPhee.

Personally I don’t want any of them, I want a clean break from all previous backroom staff and a new fresh outlook taken.

Jon Daly - probably not, how much experience does he have as a COACH in professional game? 

MacPhee has over 600 games (will be assistant to a National Team trying to get results v Germany & Holland) so I would say that counts as EXPERIENCE AS A COACH. 

I don't disagree as to why people want fresh faces, its understandable, I just feel after a good performance and a win lets get a list of candidates together and make a sensible decision. Jack Ross isn't a sensible decision. 

2 minutes ago, ColJT22 said:

Jon Daly - probably not, how much experience does he have as a COACH in professional game? 

MacPhee has over 600 games (will be assistant to a National Team trying to get results v Germany & Holland) so I would say that counts as EXPERIENCE AS A COACH. 

I don't disagree as to why people want fresh faces, its understandable, I just feel after a good performance and a win lets get a list of candidates together and make a sensible decision. Jack Ross isn't a sensible decision. 

Many of the modern day coaches at the top of the game do not come from an impressive playing background, that dynamic has been shifting over the years. 

We have an outstanding candidate within, who knows our club and what is required both on and off the field to stride towards achieving the clubs ambitions. I feel good about the current Interim manager continuing to build on a positive performance last week and the praise given by Naisy proves he is a popular choice among the players, Naisy has worked with the best throughout his career.

9 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

Many of the modern day coaches at the top of the game do not come from an impressive playing background, that dynamic has been shifting over the years. 

We have an outstanding candidate within, who knows our club and what is required both on and off the field to stride towards achieving the clubs ambitions. I feel good about the current Interim manager continuing to build on a positive performance last week and the praise given by Naisy proves he is a popular choice among the players, Naisy has worked with the best throughout his career.

Out of interest, If We had drawn or got beat last Saturday what would your thoughts on Austin be?

Just now, GinRummy said:

Out of interest, If We had drawn or got beat last Saturday what would your thoughts on Austin be?

If ma auntie had baws, mate.

You stand or fall on results. Levein fell because of it. No point saying what if he had won more games. He didn’t !

AM shook it up a bit and got a decent result on Saturday. 

21 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

Agree.

Don't get me wrong, in some cases ex-players who have been at the very highest level (Gerrard/Lampard) for their whole career get jobs and that's fine. But if you look closer at who they take with them its mostly coaches who have been through the process as an assistant, academy coach or something similar. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If we had drawn or lost, I think the majority would have voted to bin him.  We are at the end of our tether. 
He didn’t. We scored 5. Berra had a brain-fart(can’t blame Austin).

we had 5 players in the Opposition box. Uche position was a massive risk. It worked out. Subs were correct(ish) and at the right time. 
From that game,  It clearly showed he has virtually opposing views on Levein’s style of play and has some attractive views. That, for me, is enough to put his name in the pot with others.  Not saying he’s the man. I am saying he’s not the same problem as Levein and should not be tarred with the same brush. Anyone who was at the game and thinks he is shouldn’t really have a view in football. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I can only go by what i have seen in his time/s as first team manager in his own right and in my assessment of that its been positive, from dealing with the media, to preparing the team to the final outcome on the pitch. 

Last Saturday we were convincing winners, so i'll be behind whoever is in charge of the team until an appointment is made. No doubt the next few games will present a different challenge so lets see where we are after those.

I think , we , as fans deserve a high profile head coach. With good experience and decent contacts NOT a Ohh , the right man was here all the time scenario again . 

13 minutes ago, Boab said:

If ma auntie had baws, mate.

You stand or fall on results. Levein fell because of it. No point saying what if he had won more games. He didn’t !

AM shook it up a bit and got a decent result on Saturday. 

Or in this case result, singular. Not enough to justify getting the job imo.

I think I might've met your Auntie when I was in Phuket.

5 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

I can only go by what i have seen in his time/s as first team manager in his own right and in my assessment of that its been positive, from dealing with the media, to preparing the team to the final outcome on the pitch. 

Last Saturday we were convincing winners, so i'll be behind whoever is in charge of the team until an appointment is made. No doubt the next few games will present a different challenge so lets see where we are after those.

He talks well and I think he has something to offer us. The issue I have is one result against St Mirren is not enough to go on. Let's face it, if he hadn't got that result there would be less people talking him up so it all just seems a bit knee jerk to me.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Of course, he has only had two games so it isn't enough time. However, he should be considered if he does well in the next few games as they are key. 

Not saying he 100% should be in the job, just saying why not give some time and if he does well can be considered.

12 minutes ago, Sid said:

If we had drawn or lost, I think the majority would have voted to bin him.  We are at the end of our tether. 

we had 5 players in the Opposition box. Uche position was a massive risk. It worked out. Subs were correct(ish) and at the right time. 
From that game,  It clearly showed he has virtually opposing views on Levein’s style of play and has some attractive views. That, for me, is enough to put his name in the pot with others.  Not saying he’s the man. I am saying he’s not the same problem as Levein and should not be tarred with the same brush. Anyone who was at the game and thinks he is shouldn’t really have a view in football. 

Saturday was great. Definitely not a Levein style  performance. Good enough to justify Austin getting the gig? 

3 minutes ago, Sid said:

Wonder if tactics would have been the same if he wasn't chasing the job ?

Not a criticism just don't think you can measure him by that game , even if we'd lost !

If (wouldn't be a shocker) he got the job I can envisage main criticism (yes there may be some) being his game plans .

It would appear substitutions are a big part of how he sees a game unfold . I do know we've had subs for a long time but , in general , they are used because of what is happening during the game . Think AM has planned subs before game starts . Didn't work against rangers but does show he has a different way of seeing the game . Perhaps a bit Cathroesque ? Also , not necessarily , a criticism

4 minutes ago, ColJT22 said:

Of course, he has only had two games so it isn't enough time. However, he should be considered if he does well in the next few games as they are key. 

Not saying he 100% should be in the job, just saying why not give some time and if he does well can be considered.

Results change opinions. No doubt about that. 

7 minutes ago, Meadows said:

I think , we , as fans deserve a high profile head coach. With good experience and decent contacts NOT a Ohh , the right man was here all the time scenario again . 

I just think we deserve the right man.

Surely anything is immaterial ?

Just now, GinRummy said:

😂

I agree that most would probably want a clean break from the coaching staff of the last three or four years. However, this regime is still in place and it would not surprise me in the slightest if they did give him the gig.

Hopefully M O’Neill has other plans for him and he does go but if not, I’ll get behind him if he does stay.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Meadows said:

MacPhee for SD. I'm pretty sure he would have plenty of contacts, I also feel sure he would have a knowledge of progressive coaches that could make a difference, his other work is not insignificant beyond Hearts.

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

😂

I agree that most would probably want a clean break from the coaching staff of the last three or four years. However, this regime is still in place and it would not surprise me in the slightest if they did give him the gig.

Hopefully M O’Neill has other plans for him and he does go but if not, I’ll get behind him if he does stay.

As I said I think McPhee has something to offer. SD? Academy? Assistant (in the unlikely event a new coach doesn't want his own guy)?

I don't want him as manager.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He talks well and I think he has something to offer us. The issue I have is one result against St Mirren is not enough to go on. Let's face it, if he hadn't got that result there would be less people talking him up so it all just seems a bit knee jerk to me.

Yes i agree and as i say the next few games will be important to fully measure and evaluate. That result is all we have had of late to get excited by and i know we say it was only St Mirren but they have been hard to beat and we did it convincingly. As others have alluded to here it just felt different from the previous approach. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

😂

MacPhee has done well for himself in football. Daly and Fox are basically a couple of people Levein has taken a punt on, whilst the goalkeeping coach I think was probably a relatively convenient appointment. I'd change those 3 out, I think MacPhee has an awful lot going for him, despite the guilt by association

50 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Saturday was great. Definitely not a Levein style  performance. Good enough to justify Austin getting the gig? 

“Not saying he’s the man”. Not writing him off yet tho. 

14 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Raman@stv

Hearing that Hibs shortlist for managerial post down two or three candidates, which includes Jack Ross. Celtic number 2 John Kennedy was considered for the post, but STV understands Kennedy is no longer a candidate

John Kennedy would be an interesting candidate, albeit a massive gamble. But then again, what manager appointment isn’t.

52 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Wonder if tactics would have been the same if he wasn't chasing the job ?

Not a criticism just don't think you can measure him by that game , even if we'd lost !

If (wouldn't be a shocker) he got the job I can envisage main criticism (yes there may be some) being his game plans .

It would appear substitutions are a big part of how he sees a game unfold . I do know we've had subs for a long time but , in general , they are used because of what is happening during the game . Think AM has planned subs before game starts . Didn't work against rangers but does show he has a different way of seeing the game . Perhaps a bit Cathroesque ? Also , not necessarily , a criticism

That’s why I would be happy to give him a run to see if his “different” approaches generally work or not.  Not sure if planned subs, especially with our fragile players, work. As mentioned before, if we got over halftime and had Naismith, Uche and Walker to come on, I think we might have been in a game. One injury and one brain fart put paid to that. Think there’s a fair chance most games that might be the case. 

Italian Lambretta

If Jack Ross is appointed Hearts manager then its leaving us wide open for scrutiny by the media. The first thing they will want to know is why he was shown the door a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Jack Ross now 1/8 for the Hibs job, they seem fairly certain with those odds, can't wait for them to claim they stole him from us :rolleyes: 

We're just waiting to see who they appoint and we'll hire someone better.

Italian Lambretta
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We're just waiting to see who they appoint and we'll hire someone better.

Wishful thinking but i wouldnt put money on it. 

Just now, Jambo647 said:

Wait till we see who we get first..

Regardless of who we get, he will do well at Hibs imo.

Then again I thought that about Butcher !

:greggy:

Edited by Boab

5 hours ago, ColJT22 said:

Cathro had 100’s of games as an assistant also.

That experience counted for nothing as he was useless as a number 1.

Brian Kidd at man united was a great assistant but a shit manager!!

assistant experience goes for nothing in my opinion.

scott herbertson
24 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

@wearescottishfootball are tweeting Ross has been offered hearts and hibs job. Not sure of the actual reliability of the source

He'd need to be Mahatma Gandhi to keep both sets of fans happy at the same time!

2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Did Ross actually manage St Midden in the top league or just get them promoted to top league?

no left after they won the league. Saved them from going into league 1 then won championship the following season 

Just now, Newton51 said:

no left after they won the league. Saved them from going into league 1 then won championship the following season 

My choice.

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

@wearescottishfootball are tweeting Ross has been offered hearts and hibs job. Not sure of the actual reliability of the source

He has been offered the Hibs job adding Hearts name to the mix just makes it seem like a coup for them.