Jack Ross

Last Laff

Speaking to Scott Walker(ex pro with Dunf, St Mirren)today who knows Ross well. 

Says he’s waiting on offers down South. Wants to stay down there. Kid started secondary this year etc....

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

• Paul Shark

Genuine question here, as I haven't followed the man's career closely enough. Has Ross' achievements this side of the border been particularly better than guys like Hartley or Ian Murray who were hailed as the next big thing a few years ago, before failing? I don't think his record at Sunderland is anything to write home about.

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Genuine question here, as I haven't followed the man's career closely enough. Has Ross' achievements this side of the border been particularly better than guys like Hartley or Ian Murray who were hailed as the next big thing a few years ago, before failing? I don't think his record at Sunderland is anything to write home about.

He took over St Mirren when there was a real risk they were going to fall into League 1. He saved them and won the Championship the next season. He wasn’t going to turn down down Sunderland but word round the campfire was that he could have done well with St Mirren had he stayed.

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

His record at Sunderland is not that bad. Only 10 losses in 75 games. Problem is  that they drew all the time and played terrible football, along with the fact that they had the biggest budget in the league, so really should be taking them up. 

We can and I hope will do better 

Just now, Famous 1874 said:

His record at Sunderland is not that bad. Only 10 losses in 75 games. Problem is  that they drew all the time and played terrible football, along with the fact that they had the biggest budget in the league, so really should be taking them up. 

It’s a punt though for a team like us. In a perfect world, guys like Stevie Clarke and Michael O’Neill would be great appointments but never going to happen now. I believe, out of all the names mentioned, Ross would be the best we could get. Maybe not for everyone but hey ho !

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

By what must have been an enormous margin.

Just now, Boab said:

It’s a punt though for a team like us. In a perfect world, guys like Stevie Clarke and Michael O’Neill would be great appointments but never going to happen now. I believe, out of all the names mentioned, Ross would be the best we could get. Maybe not for everyone but hey ho !

Steve Clarke's teams play the most dull and boring football around. I'm glad we never went near him.

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Steve Clarke's teams play the most dull and boring football around. I'm glad we never went near him.

Would have been better than the shite we’ve had to watch the last couple of years. Levein takes that honour !

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Would have been better than the shite we’ve had to watch the last couple of years. Levein takes that honour !

Results are the most important thing, absolutely no arguments there, but we had people moaning when we were in second and third under Robbie because tehy didn't like the style of play. How long do you reckon they would have suffered Clarke's dire style?

Give me a manager who likes to play through the middle of the pitch with forwards running at defenders and wide men cutting in any day of the week. You need a solid defence and a strong anchorman to do it, but it's entertaining to watch and with the right key personnel and manager guiding them, it gets results in our league. Would I want that before results? No.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

22 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Says he’s waiting on offers down South. Wants to stay down there. Kid started secondary this year etc....

He could be waiting a while

35 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He could be waiting a while

You could be right. Just passing on a snippet. 

As an aside, Scott’s son is a big Hearts fanand is the drum banger in section G , apparently😂......Scott’s not a born and bred JT but actually attends Hearts games with his mate. Says he enjoys going to the games and thinks the new stand is cracking. 

manaliveits105

I see the hubz comic headline is John Kennedy ruled out of job as if  they turned him down when he obviously didn’t apply and never wanted the shitty stick 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Sunderland and Pompey done themselves in by wanting to win the Mickey Mouse cup instead of trying to achieve their main aim of getting out of a league they don't belong in.

bigsuperslim1874
59 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The times Clarke brought Killie to Tynie, I thought they played good footy TBH.

2 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

The times Clarke brought Killie to Tynie, I thought they played good footy TBH.

I didn’t. Stifle and then try and nick a goal is what I saw. They always set up to invite us on to them and keep us out I thought. They did do a good job of that though tbf.

bigsuperslim1874
4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I didn’t. Stifle and then try and nick a goal is what I saw. They always set up to invite us on to them and keep us out I thought. They did do a good job of that though tbf.

Fair doos. Regardless - better than the guff we have endured for a while now anyway!

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

no left after they won the league. Saved them from going into league 1 then won championship the following season 

So he's managed in only the lower leagues in both Scotland and England. 

Walter Bishop
21 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Not true.  Ross and Kennedy have both told them to bolt.  They will fall back on old squinty eye and do a Budge and pretend they wanted him all along.  

Yeah, it was true. Confirmed today by a employee, expected to be officially named on over the weekend/Monday. 

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

That’s similar to what I have heard. Not really interested in either of the jobs in Edinburgh but going along with the media hype to assist getting another job down south. Only Sunderland board think he did a crap job there. His record at Sunderland is decent just didn’t get them promoted. 

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

By what must have been an enormous margin.

Not really, some big clubs in championship. Forest, Derby, Cardiff plus all those still receiving para payments. 

Arthur Morgan
15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not really, some big clubs in championship. Forest, Derby, Cardiff plus all those still receiving para payments. 

They were in League 1 though. 

Went to a few Sunderland games while he was in charge and he’s like a young Levein. Long ball, 1 man up top and everyone on behind the ball. Last thing we need is another defensive manager. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
29 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Given the, er, history involved I never thought it was likely that he’d get the gig with us 

That sums it up, to be fair.

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

Went to a few Sunderland games while he was in charge and he’s like a young Levein. Long ball, 1 man up top and everyone on behind the ball. Last thing we need is another defensive manager. 

Ooft. The flairmeisters won't be happy with that if that's the case! 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s similar to what I have heard. Not really interested in either of the jobs in Edinburgh but going along with the media hype to assist getting another job down south. Only Sunderland board think he did a crap job there. His record at Sunderland is decent just didn’t get them promoted. 

👍🏻

Christ, he was already a media golden boy. Now that he’s washed up there his first press conference will end up looking like a decorators wireless. 

I thought it was mental that we got rid of him, he's a better manager than Levein, that's for sure. 

Ann made the mistake about talking about getting a big name in and now the likes of Jack Ross is just a big meh now. 

7 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

I thought it was mental that we got rid of him, he's a better manager than Levein, that's for sure. 

Ann made the mistake about talking about getting a big name in and now the likes of Jack Ross is just a big meh now. 

Edit: can’t be bothered

Edited by GinRummy

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Edit: can’t be bothered

It's cool. 

I get you love levein. I just think Ross has done wonders in his small amount of time as manager. 

Just now, King Kebab said:

It's cool. 

I get you love levein. I just think Ross has done wonders in his small amount of time as manager. 

I’ve been among Levein’s biggest critics on here.

How do you know Ann has made a mistake when we’ve not appointed anyone yet?

Arthur Morgan
5 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

It's cool. 

Wonders :lol:

Just now, GinRummy said:

I’ve been among Levein’s biggest critics on here.

How do you know Ann has made a mistake when we’ve not appointed anyone yet?

I only said that she has made a mistake by talking about getting a big name in. 

Going by the names that have been mentioned as being interviewed... it could back fire on her.

The names mentioned by the newspapers could all be made up nonsense, granted. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Wonders :lol:

Well, maybe the wrong word, but he has done extremely well for a guy that was in the background at hearts and then punted out the door. 

Just now, King Kebab said:

I only said that she has made a mistake by talking about getting a big name in. 

Going by the names that have been mentioned as being interviewed... it could back fire on her.

The names mentioned by the newspapers could all be made up nonsense, granted. 

I understand. Wouldn’t call it a mistake until we see who comes in. 

Tokyo Drifter
22 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

Cue the little hobbits thinking they’ve got one over on us :rofl: 

Can't help feeling they have to be honest. We aren't going to get Robinson either by the look of it and the and Ross were the pair we were told the club wanted, so Budge's eventual appointment had better be a very very good one.

Just now, Tokyo Drifter said:

Can't help feeling they have to be honest. We aren't going to get Robinson either by the look of it and the and Ross were the pair we were told the club wanted, so Budge's eventual appointment had better be a very very good one.

Who said the club wanted Robinson or Ross?