• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

28 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I think you are confusing us with Real Madrid....

At the moment I think we can all agree there was no absolutely outstanding candidate at the time of the sacking.

We don’t have anyone lined up just waiting.....there isn’t a queue of quality managers just waiting on Hearts calling.

The obvious succession days of JJ followed by Levein followed by Robbo have gone unfortunately.

So what we have done is open it up the entire footballing world and see what comes our way. If nothing takes our fancy from the CV’s then we’ll look around to who we think is worth approaching ie Robinson.

If you want to go low level then we would have employed Neil McCann within 24 hours.

Employing a new manager is easy.....employing the right new manager is hugely difficult.

Agree .. over last few years there have been times where McCann Hartley Weir Pressley etc were show ins but it is such a shallow thing ...2 months later you are toast  :)

Once a name becomes public that  they want the job (not a rumour) and who is worthy of managing Hearts Ann Budge will be overwhelmed by our fans calling for that person to get the job with no strings attached like McPhee, Daly ect has be kept on.

So far the names we know of that have been interviewed are as bad as the last time when no one except Levein was acceptable.

Ann Budge had better up her game with the managers she is willing to interview because so far none are acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Are English mangers classed as foreign?

Hmmm...I think its maybe a german.Dont shoot the messenger, just what I've been told.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Once a name becomes public that  they want the job (not a rumour) and who is worthy of managing Hearts Ann Budge will be overwhelmed by our fans calling for that person to get the job with no strings attached like McPhee, Daly ect has be kept on.

So far the names we know of that have been interviewed are as bad as the last time when no one except Levein was acceptable.

Ann Budge had better up her game with the managers she is willing to interview because so far none are acceptable.

You cant be serious?

30 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When you are a manager of a full-time club it’s 24/7. 

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

33 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

All is said was that he was part-time if he’d of concentrated on being DOF he might still have a future at Hearts who knows.

37 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You ought to get out more my wee pal.

Jesus!

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jesus!

There’s definitely some Devine Intervention required this evening.

23 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

🇩🇪 I think. 

Stendel or Magath! Would take either at this point with some of the names being thrown about😂

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Imagine we were able to see the posts at the time Craig Levein was appointed and the views then of posters.

It would be a great help in determining whether they had hindsight or not

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

“Ann, Ann - there’s this boy on JKB that says Stendel needs to be the manager. He’s Dutch and says he knows more about football than you do. He also knows how the entire fanbase will rate you and the appointment when you make it.”

“Ok, thanks but Stendel wants £2m a year and wants to use us as a stepping stone to the epl in 12 months”

”Aye but this random twat knows more about football than you Ann”

”Fair point, I totally fluked my £40m IT co. and have learned nothing about football in 5 years - get Stendel then and get the JKB guy to negotiate his contract, his wage and his transfer budget”

Jammy T when he opens this thread.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ac669a403a14fee07a3

Edited by TheOak88

16 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I really can’t believe that you think she is turning managers away that are clearly better than the ones mentioned in the media. 

Toxteth O'Grady
21 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Sean Maloney anyone?

Working alongside high tempo quality players for Belgium might run off on him.

He was the diving cheat that got Takis sent off and effectively ended our league challenge - no thanks 

11 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Imagine we were able to see the posts at the time Craig Levein was appointed and the views then of posters.

It would be a great help in determining whether they had hindsight or not

That’s always the challenge on here. Wondered the same thing many times but could never be bothered trawling back to ID the culprits and clowns. Possibly because I’m sure I’ll have been amongst them at some point! 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I really can’t believe that you think she is turning managers away that are clearly better than the ones mentioned in the media. 

It's unbelievable isn't it. It's like it never really happened

25 minutes ago, Barack said:

:lol:

29 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Sean Maloney anyone?

Working alongside high tempo quality players for Belgium might run off on him.

Would take him in an instant but think he is headed for great things so would pass through very quickly. Him and Martinez will get a big job in club football soon I think 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Is why I'm laughing. You'd have to be a ****ing lunatic to give up the Belgium job at this moment in time.

When Spurs bin Pochetttino, Martinez & Maloney will be in the picture.

Arsenal is my prediction 

9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's the sad thing. You actually believe that ...

Still failing to acknowledge, we don't have the requisite information to pass comment on the current recruitment strategy. Still failing to acknowledge, that win % in English Championship are irrelevant. Still failing to acknowledge, that criticising a recruitment process that has only started, is completely illogical and idiotic in equal measure.

Making lots of friends on the way though ...

We have established that my scrutiny of the clubs competence was based on the performance of the club over the last three years which many supporters have found to be miles below standard.

As well as their poor decision making when appointing the previous two Managers and their hesitation to make the right decision and sack both those two Managers to limit the damage done. 

Yet you seem to think that someone would have to be on the Board to pass comment on that. The point you make there is quite frankly absurd nonsense. You have deliberately and obtusely skirted your way around that point time and time again.

Failing to acknowledge a % win ratio at three clubs in the Championship is irrelevant, are you for real? 

Like, really? 

I’d say that a managers record is probably one of the key deciding factors in judging whether they are competent for the position or not. 

I’m sure most would agree with that, especially when that persons record is tragically poor even by Championship Standards.

You say illogical and idiotic, even though we have established that Hearts have made a dugs dinner of the previous two appointments .

The probability of them getting it wrong for a third time is therefore clearly higher than them getting it right. Which is not illogical whatsoever. In fact, the opposite altogether and it should come under some degree of scrutiny, no?

Perhaps you should realise that this is a Hearts forum, not some Ba’ath Party convention and that fan scrutiny of the club is important to ensure that the right decisions are made and that standards are kept high. 

We have agreed and disagreed on many things on here. For example, we agreed that Levein should have been given some time this season to get things right. Others wanted rid off him and could see how it was going to pan out. We were wrong and they were right on that occasion.

Due to the time taken for Leveins sacking to come about and that of Cathros prior to that, faith in the board has declined. This has been reflected in attendances and the withdrawal of FoH subs. 

Due to this myself and I am sure others alike, do not have complete faith in Ann Budge or the Hearts board to make the right decision this time around and these appointments are probably the most important ones for the club in many years.

So forgive me if I don’t toe the party line this time around and be so willing to accept another 3 years of utter tripe. 

You may be happy to just “see how it goes”, not take into account what has gone before and be happy with any decision the board make but I’m sure many supporters are holding out for a higher calibre of appointment than what we have been accustomed to in recent years. 

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We have established that my scrutiny of the clubs competence was based on the performance of the club over the last three years which many supporters have found to be miles below standard.

As well as their poor decision making when appointing the previous two Managers and their hesitation to make the right decision and sack both those two Managers to limit the damage done. 

Yet you seem to think that someone would have to be on the Board to pass comment on that. The point you make there is quite frankly absurd nonsense. You have deliberately and obtusely skirted your way around that point time and time again.

Failing to acknowledge a % win ratio at three clubs in the Championship is irrelevant, are you for real? 

Like, really? 

I’d say that a managers record is probably one of the key deciding factors in judging whether they are competent for the position or not. 

I’m sure most would agree with that, especially when that persons record is tragically poor even by Championship Standards.

You say illogical and idiotic, even though we have established that Hearts have made a dugs dinner of the previous two appointments .

The probability of them getting it wrong for a third time is therefore clearly higher than them getting it right. Which is not illogical whatsoever. In fact, the opposite altogether and it should come under some degree of scrutiny, no?

Perhaps you should realise that this is a Hearts forum, not some Ba’ath Party convention and that fan scrutiny of the club is important to ensure that the right decisions are made and that standards are kept high. 

We have agreed and disagreed on many things on here. For example, we agreed that Levein should have been given some time this season to get things right. Others wanted rid off him and could see how it was going to pan out. We were wrong and they were right on that occasion.

Due to the time taken for Leveins sacking to come about and that of Cathros prior to that, faith in the board has declined. This has been reflected in attendances and the withdrawal of FoH subs. 

Due to this myself and I am sure others alike, do not have complete faith in Ann Budge or the Hearts board to make the right decision this time around and these appointments are probably the most important ones for the club in many years.

So forgive me if I don’t toe the party line this time around and be so willing to accept another 3 years of utter tripe. 

You may be happy to just “see how it goes”, not take into account what has gone before and be happy with any decision the board make but I’m sure many supporters are holding out for a higher calibre of appointment than what we have been accustomed to in recent years. 

Nailed it.

7 hours ago, weehammy said:

I had to laugh at the ‘statement’ suggestion too (as an alternative to weeping).

Maybe she could delegate that task to the Gorgie Boys?

It's quite simple all Ann has to do is take expert advice.  Cruyff Turn ? 

Someone who has all the answers 😕

9 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

There was no interview with Stendel or Magath planned as of this morning.

That may have since changed.

9 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

What about Tuchel then? 

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It's quite simple all Ann has to do is take expert advice.  Cruyff Turn ? 

Someone who has all the answers 😕

Maybe one day you’ll actually post an opinion on anything rather than attacking others? 

22 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Like, really? 

It's good that you can use this forum to get all your pent up frustrations off your chest.

What do you suggest Mrs Budge and the board do given that they are open to expert advice ?

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Maybe one day you’ll actually post an opinion on anything rather than attacking others? 

My opinion is you offer nothing other than criticism. 

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

It's good that you can use this forum to get all your pent up frustrations off your chest.

What do you suggest Mrs Budge and the board do given that they are open to expert advice ?

Don’t be a patronising arsehole would be the first thing I’d say. 

Secondly, do about what? 

Guest ToqueJambo
36 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Like, really? 

Unlike Hearts fans sitting at home reacting to the names the bookies and media fire out for bets and clicks, Ann Budge is operating in the real world.

Our real world means, given we now know Levein got 178K to do two jobs (I'm sure I read that in the accounts analysis but maybe someone can correct me if wrong), that Budge is contemplating a significant increase in manager and SD costs. For context Peter Houston wanted 200k to continue to manage Dundee Utd a few years ago, and left because they didn't pay him that. McInnes is rumoured to be on 1m a year. 

Budge has to make an appointment (two in fact) that doesn't break our bank). Stendel for example may well have salary expectations way above even what McInnes is earning given how much money is sloshing about in English football. Some of the types of names that have been thrown out (Terry, Moyes...) have NEVER been persuaded to come to any club our size in Scotland at a time when their stock is still fairly high, so why do we think Budge can persuade them? Many of those names are OF type targets in terms of their salary and playing budget expectations.

So it's totally appropriate to be looking at the names rumoured to have been interviewed as well as making approaches to others. But some folk need to wind their expectations in. The good working coaches want 1 ) a very good, above average salary, 2) a very good, above average playing budget and 3) a decent chance of silverware. A lot of unemployed coaches with decent records are leery of taking a job that might actually cost them work in the long run if they are working with players below the quality they are used to and with a lower budget.

Let's get real. Jack Ross or someone like him is our level for a young, ambitious coach. In the more experienced group, Warnock might be possible if he takes a massive pay cut. Budge may well pull a rabbit out of the hat but if she doesn't that just means she hasn't;t been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, not that she's not capable of hiring the manager in our budget who fits our wish list closest.

In summary: John Robertson.

Edited by ToqueJambo

35 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Like, really? 

Love to see your word count from this thread! I am keen for Hearts to make the correct appointment but won’t soil my pants before an appointment is even made. Yes, loads of players and managers can’t cut the English Championship but excel in the Scottish Premiership...

Edited by Mr Elwood P

32 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Like, really? 

So your not happy to "see how it goes"? Beyond b!tching and whining what's your plan?

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

My opinion is you offer nothing other than criticism. 

I’ve never criticised the board on anything up until this point.

So to suggest I offer nothing but criticism is completely wide of the mark. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unlike Hearts fans sitting at home reacting to the names the bookies and media fire out for bets and clicks, Ann Budge is operating in the real world.

Our real world means, given we now know Levein got 178K to do two jobs (I'm sure I read that in the accounts analysis but maybe someone can correct me if wrong), that Budge is contemplating a significant increase in manager and SD costs. For context Peter Houston wanted 200k to continue to manage Dundee Utd a few years ago, and left because they didn't pay him that. McInnes is rumoured to be on 1m a year. 

Budge has to make an appointment (two in fact) that doesn't break our bank). Stendel for example may well have salary expectations way above even what McInnes is earning given how much money is sloshing about in English football. Some of the types of names that have been thrown out (Terry, Moyes...) have NEVER been persuaded to come to any club our size in Scotland at a time when their stick is still fairly high, so why do we think Budge can persuade them? Many of those names are OF type targets in terms of their salary and playing budget expectations.

So it's totally appropriate to be looking at the names rumoured to have been interviewed as well as making approaches to others. But some folk need to wind their expectations in. The good working coaches want 1 ) a very good, above average salary, 2) a very good, above average playing budget and 3) a decent chance of silverware.

Let's get real. Jack Ross or someone like him is our level for a young, ambitious coach. Warnock might be if he takes a massive pay cut. Budge may well pull a rabbit out of the hat but if she doesn't that just means she hasn't;t been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, not that she's not capable.

Post of this thread so far. Doubt a couple of posters will agree though given the other world they live in. 

3 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

So your not happy to "see how it goes"? Beyond b!tching and whining what's your plan?

Unless Mrs Budge decides to turn our recruitment into a sort of BGT competition the only thing us supporters can do is 'see how it goes'.

We can always bore the tits of each other with umpteen word salad posts though ☺

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’ve never criticised the board on anything up until this point.

So to suggest I offer nothing but criticism is completely wide of the mark. 

OK then if the fans are not allowed to 'see how it goes '

What should we be doing ?

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Budge has to make an appointment (two in fact) that doesn't break our bank). Stendel for example may well have salary expectations way above even what McInnes is earning given how much money is sloshing about in English football. Some of the types of names that have been thrown out (Terry, Moyes...) have NEVER been persuaded to come to any club our size in Scotland at a time when their stock is still fairly high, so why do we think Budge can persuade them? Many of those names are OF type targets in terms of their salary and playing budget expectations.

So it's totally appropriate to be looking at the names rumoured to have been interviewed as well as making approaches to others. But some folk need to wind their expectations in. The good working coaches want 1 ) a very good, above average salary, 2) a very good, above average playing budget and 3) a decent chance of silverware. A lot of unemployed coaches with decent records are leery of taking a job that might actually cost them work in the long run if they are working with players below the quality they are used to and with a lower budget.

Let's get real. Jack Ross or someone like him is our level for a young, ambitious coach. Warnock might be if he takes a massive pay cut. Budge may well pull a rabbit out of the hat but if she doesn't that just means she hasn't;t been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, not that she's not capable of hiring the manager in our budget who fits our wish list closest.

Ann Budge was the one that said “High Profile and Experienced Candidate” it’s a headline on the Hearts website. 

So you can talk about budgets etc but Ann was the first person to utter those words. 

However i’ve stated on here that i’d be willing to give Austin a go maybe short term to see how he does. 

I’d take Robinson as I believe he’s done a good job at Motherwell.

Neil Warnock so far would be the realistic high profile candidate I’d find relatively ambitious.  

So to suggest I’m being completely unrealistic is entirely wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

Sorry for putting you on the spot Davie but you seem to be one of few on here who seems to have decent info. 

Do you know who for def has been interviewed for either position and who is in line to be interviewed? 

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

You cant be serious?

Ok John. You really have made the saying your own.

John McEnroe "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS"!

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Ann Budge was the one that said “High Profile and Experienced Candidate” it’s a headline on the Hearts website. 

So you can talk about budgets etc but Ann was the first person to utter those words. 

However i’ve stated on here that i’d be willing to give Austin a go maybe short term to see how he does. 

Neil Warnock so far would be the realistic high profile candidate I’d find relatively ambitious.  

I actually agree with much of that.

Assuming that we are at least a couple of weeks away from an appointment and results and performances are acceptable I would be happy to leave Austin in charge until the end of the season.

A lot would depend on the SD appointment and I suspect that is what is slowing up the manager decision as it will be vital that the manager and SD are compatible and able to work together.

As well as the 'high profile ' comment Ann also said she anticipated a decision to be made on a SD before a manager is appointed.

Another point is the decision making process is being conducted by different board members plus advisors than on the previous occasions.  Again this was covered in Ann press conference. 

11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

OK then if the fans are not allowed to 'see how it goes '

What should we be doing ?

So for example, if the media reported that Neil McCann was the first choice for the job,

Would you be happy to “see how it goes” ?

or would you be trying to put pressure on the board so they did not make that appointment? 

Or maybe you’d be delighted with Neil McCann. I don’t know. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Point is, I think it’s important that supporters do state their preference on here and elsewhere, as we have done btw, so the board get a general idea of the type of candidate the fans want and they aren’t going to settle for a cheap option. 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

All the names interviewed, if they have been, are high profile and/or experienced in a Scottish football context, which is the real world I mentioned Budge is working in. McCall has managed Rangers, Motherwell and has assisted Scotland. McCann is relatively high profile. She is speaking in comparison to previous appointments - Neilson and Cathro were low profile and inexperienced. If folk thought that meant Keane, Terry, Moyes etc then they've been smoking funny cigarettes. Clearly Budge means in Scotland not some sort of global high profile name! As I said, if she does pull someone like that out the hat, fair play and I hope she gets the credit for it, but she certainly shouldn't be criticised if she doesn't.

If Robinson really is in line for the NI job, he's totally unrealistic for us as everyone knows what that job pays. Likewise Warnock was an EPL manager 1 year ago earning millions.

Managers are a real risk. I'd rather we get McPhee, Robbo or other names that might well be underwhelming but are realistic, and maintain a decent playing budget rather than blowing our budget on a manager given everyone knows what a lottery appointing a manager is, even more of a lottery than signing a player.

Edited by ToqueJambo