General Election 2019

Shanks said no

16 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I was back home in the summer and speaking with my family about independence & Brexit . Their answer was -  voted remain last time but on a 2nd ref will vote SNP.  

What you dreaming of ? 

The SNP not being as confident this time. Hoping for a Tory government as best of a bad bunch and old steptoe put back in his box. And yes I am a supporter of Brexit 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

The jealousy reeks out of some people.

Dont better yourself guys, just take more of others instead. I believe everyone should pay something IN , rather than just taking out. Otherwise how are we all going to be equal?

It isn't jealousy to point out that the very well off can afford a small hit better than anyone else.

annushorribilis III
3 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

The SNP not being as confident this time. Hoping for a Tory government as best of a bad bunch and old steptoe put back in his box. And yes I am a supporter of Brexit 

That maybe so. What surprised me was the strength of feeling for indy from a group who were previously vehemently opposed to it. Congrats on the brexit.  I'm sure it will all come good. 

9 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I thought you had a degree in politics and therefore knew everything about it especially compared to such plebs.

So you know full well how truly silly it is to refer to the minority government given the voting system in place for Scottish Parliament elections that was intended to guarantee there'd never be a majority . . . and yet the SNP managed one anyway in 2015.

And then doubled down on it. :lol: Mental.

No I am fully aware on the voting system as it applies to the Scottish Parliament and how it is supposed to prevent one party having an overall majority. What I am referring to is that she lost seats at the last Scottish election and again in the Westminster election. The SNP like all political parties suffer voter apathy loss of support which is why although they may get their 50 or so seats in this forthcoming election it will be interesting to see their share of the vote. Very easy to win a seat on 38% of the vote when the 'Unionist' parties are split 3 ways. Finally with regards to my degree the ironic thing is I was able to go thanks to a Conservative government who paid for my tuition and provided me with a grant. I am and was then working class. 

Edited by Class of 75

4 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

That maybe so. What surprised me was the strength of feeling for indy from a group who were previously vehemently opposed to it. Congrats on the brexit.  I'm sure it will all come good. 

Agree. Very interesting days ahead. 

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It isn't jealousy to point out that the very well off can afford a small hit better than anyone else.

It’s easy to ask for someone else to pay for something for you, it’s harder when you have to pay for it yourself.

if tax rises were not going to affect me I’d be.screaming for them too.

People don’t appreciate anything “free”- they rip the arse out it.

When you pay for something you care for it more and abuse it less.

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It’s easy to ask for someone else to pay for something for you, it’s harder when you have to pay for it yourself.

if tax rises were not going to affect me I’d be.screaming for them too.

People don’t appreciate anything “free”- they rip the arse out it.

When you pay for something you care for it more and abuse it less.

It still isn't jealousy to point out that the very well off can afford a small hit better than anyone else.

18 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Boris made no gaffs 

the country is behind him 

Corbyn is a snake and Wee Nippy can do one - not fit for purpose and very quiet about the Salmond years 

bring it on 

Still posting absolute nonsense after your Jambosrbarry account was quite rightfully banned a while back?

Just now, Smithee said:

It still isn't jealousy to point out that the very well off can afford a small hit better than anyone else.

That’s not the point though - it’s expecting others to take 100% of the hit.

Not most, or the majority of it, but all of it. And it’s not a small hit. 
It’s now nearing the level where the government makes as much money from me working as I do.

6 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Aye, everyone would love a £1700 per year paycut after a 8 year pay freeze.

Boo hoo. Only bringing in well over 40k a year after tax. How awful

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

That’s not the point though - it’s expecting others to take 100% of the hit.

Not most, or the majority of it, but all of it. And it’s not a small hit. 
It’s now nearing the level where the government makes as much money from me working as I do.

It's exactly the point that you made and that I'm responding to.

1700 over a year is a little over 2% of your 80k. Cry me a ****ing river. 

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Boo hoo. Only bringing in well over 40k a year after tax. How awful

Downgrading from M&S to Waitrose, the ignominy!

Tbh if I'm comfortable I dont mind the taxman taking a bit more. I'm used to much higher taxes in Holland, that's the price you pay for nice things.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

You’ve got that twisted bud. M&S would be the downgrade😉

On the tax thing. I actually don’t think the raising of income tax is a great policy, mainly because I don’t view it as all that effective policy. It will do little to improve distribution of wealth and if I’m honest I don’t think it will improve public services all that much. 

It’s little more than a tweak to the existing. It’s not like a wealth tax or something a bit more radical. 

I think it’s a headline grabbing policy as it’s plays in the rich v poor narrative that many like. Despite some claims, the vast majority of people at that level will not give a ****, no one likes to pay more money but it’s not really all that notable differences. It’s a shrug of the shoulders, little more. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That said, does appear to be some envy in play from some people imo. 

Maybe, although I also think it's understandable for those who've suffered most from austerity to begrudge the whining of those who don't appreciate how very well off they are in comparison. As you say, its very little to them.

Shows what I know about nice supermarkets by the way!

Three quarters of Universal Credit claimants have had this month's payments reduced for a variety of reasons.

Recouping of emergency loans awarded to last the 5 week delay before the first regular payments begin is the main one.

Others have reductions due to increased sanctions rules.

More than a third of households which receive Universal Credit have seen a reduction of 20% or more.

There was no advance notification of these payments being reduced.

Foodbanks across the country have been put on high alert.

Vote tory though eh?

manaliveits105

A huge number in the UK will vote Tory

Sturgeons moaning face in tv debate will have added thousands of English votes for Boris 

gone yersel hen !

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Sturgeons moaning face in tv debate will have added thousands of English votes for Boris 

gone yersel hen !

:cornette_dog:

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

gone yersel hen !

She'll have had millions of English voters wishing they had the option of voting for her after the abysmal performances by Baw Jaws and Corbyn. 

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Postal votes should be arriving soon lads.

Got mine already.

I see that one of the Brexit Party’s pledges is to restrict postal voting. What an odd policy to have!

Shanks said no
15 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I see that one of the Brexit Party’s pledges is to restrict postal voting. What an odd policy to have!

Think it relates to Peterborough and the Electoral Commission report on understanding electoral fraud vulnerability in Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin communities in England.

16 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Think it relates to Peterborough and the Electoral Commission report on understanding electoral fraud vulnerability in Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin communities in England.

I saw that but thought it was a bit extreme particularly as growing numbers of people are using the postal vote especially workers like myself who work all over the U.K.

Shanks said no
22 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I saw that but thought it was a bit extreme particularly as growing numbers of people are using the postal vote especially workers like myself who work all over the U.K.

before reading below please note I am in no way saying Farage is correct!

Nigel Farage was claiming that Peterborough was a ‘rotten borough’ and that postal voting was producing the ‘wrong results’. Out of the 33,998 ballot papers counted, 9,898 were postal votes, with approximately 400 of these being rejected because of discrepancies in details including signatures and dates of births not matching the council records. 

Farage/his party lost by 683 votes

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

before reading below please note I am in no way saying Farage is correct!

Nigel Farage was claiming that Peterborough was a ‘rotten borough’ and that postal voting was producing the ‘wrong results’. Out of the 33,998 ballot papers counted, 9,898 were postal votes, with approximately 400 of these being rejected because of discrepancies in details including signatures and dates of births not matching the council records. 

Farage/his party lost by 683 votes

Haha, I don’t think there are many Farage supporters on here!

Interesting figures but if the boot had been on the other foot would he have the same opinion, that’s politics though I suppose!

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:cornette_dog:

He's been banned before with another account after mocking someone with a disability...that should tell you all you need to know about his character. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, EarnockJambo said:

He's been banned before with another account after mocking someone with a disability...that should tell you all you need to know about his character. 

Never knew that.

manaliveits105

Andrew Marr asks Corbyns right hand woman 4 simple questions and receives no answers to any 

including if Labour Party wins gets a brexit deal and go to the people will they recommend accept the deal or not ?

WASPI women proposal breaks their own fiscal policy - how will they pay for it ?

Doing away with married tax allowance will mean millions of lower paid couples pay more tax so their claim only people earning over £80k will be affected by their fiscal policy is ballocks ?

dreadful party - Unelectable 

manaliveits105

The other point was about raising corporation tax leading to increased prices  - her only response was it will still be at a lower  rate than Thatchers govt

_ who cares that was decades ago

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Smithee said:

Saw this, looks like it comes from AAV who always checks his stuff. Happy to be corrected if the figures are slightly out. 

FB_IMG_1574538775823.jpg.1c9d2b61a68ba4c331b6b45380eccda5.jpg

Does anyone actually believe that all this is going to be paid for by people with incomes over £80,000?  Additionally, the labour manifesto figures are incomplete. They don’t include the cost of nationalising water, energy, rail, mail and telecoms.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Does anyone actually believe that all this is going to be paid for by people with incomes over £80,000?  

Also by giant companies like Netflix, Facebook and Amazon actually being forced to pay tax, one would imagine. 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Does anyone actually believe that all this is going to be paid for by people with incomes over £80,000?  Additionally, the labour manifesto figures are incomplete. They don’t include the cost of nationalising water, energy, rail, mail and telecoms.

Has anyone actually said that like?

I'm not a labour supporter, I just dont like the attitude from some of the very well off who think they're above tightening their belt by a few quid a month.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Also by giant companies like Netflix, Facebook and Amazon actually being forced to pay tax, one would imagine. 

Who, as soon as a marxist government starts to squeeze them will relocate to friendlier countries. Here's another wee throwaway fact for potential Labour supporters. Every single Labour government bar none has left power with the unemployment rate higher than when they took office. 

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Who, as soon as a marxist government starts to squeeze them will relocate to friendlier countries.

"Marxist" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You wouldn't have a clue what an actual Marxist government was until it was dropping a guillotine blade onto your neck.

16 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Here's another wee throwaway fact for potential Labour supporters. Every single Labour government bar none has left power with the unemployment rate higher than when they took office. 

The word you're looking for is subterfuge.

40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Waaaaah mummy,   the Marxists are making me pay a few pounds more tax.    I'll need to upgrade my golf clubs late this year.

:sob:

Sudden influx of boomer gammon :lol:

dobmisterdobster
22 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I don't know what you heard about me.

But you can't get a dollar outta me.

No tax money, no inheritance, you can't see.

That I'm a B.O.O.M.E.R...

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Shameful editing by the BBC again... 

It's a bit a big bit worse than shameful.

Theres also some other editing of boris by the bbc being reported.

All the talk of russian interference and here we have our very own state broadcaster .

Sanctions should be brought and they should be made to carry the story headlined .

With the original clips.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

I'm not offended as I dont fit the description .

But I do wonder at the use of gammon.

Would it be acceptable for me to use the skin colour and political outlook of a different group and summarise them ?

Not looking to argue just wondering your take.

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

I don't know what you heard about me.

But you can't get a dollar outta me.

No tax money, no inheritance, you can't see.

That I'm a B.O.O.M.E.R...

:rofl: She got a thing for that Gucci, that Fendi, that Prada :lol:

17 minutes ago, jake said:

I'm not offended as I dont fit the description .

But I do wonder at the use of gammon.

Would it be acceptable for me to use the skin colour and political outlook of a different group and summarise them ?

Not looking to argue just wondering your take.

Well, I view it kind of like this: As regards any claims of "reverse discrimination" or "reverse racism" or the like, I feel it's a compelling argument that if you're the member of a group that has not suffered historical discrimination on account of X--whatever inherent characteristic X may be--you are in a far less convincing position to be making hay out of claims like "reverse discrimination" from. We see the after-effects of actual discrimination against unfavoured, often minority groups to this day; it is measurable and accountable in our statistics and our demographic data. It's also still ongoing, even though much of it has been consigned to the dustbin of history and human mistakes. As regards "gammon" specifically being tied to skin colour, I see no skin colour requirement for being labelled that. It is a mindset. That absolute bellend The Rangers supporter of Asian descent is pure gammon.

I'm not sure that really directly answers the first half of your question but hopefully provides useful background.

So building on the difference between inherent characteristics and mindset/beliefs--as a free speech enthusiast I am dead set against any efforts to silence the criticism of political outlook. No one is born with a political outlook and no one holds a political outlook as a fundamental part of their character. The current campaign you may have seen online of young Tories whining about being discriminated against is a great example. They support candidates and policies who have intentionally, directly contributed to the increase of misery for thousands of people on these islands, and being told in no uncertain terms that you're a ***** for offering your support to those sorts of candidates and policies may not be nice, and it may not be effective in changing hearts and minds or getting through to them, but is absolutely a valid response and effective social tool.

A similar issue has occurred with religious groups trying to shield themselves from deconstruction and criticism. Although religion may be viewed as an inherent part of someone's identity, and discrimination on the basis of religion ought to be unlawful, each religion has its own set of beliefs and doctrines that should be able to be freely challenged, and where they can be demonstrated to be ridiculous in a modern civilisation with the vast knowledge and social enlightenment that we have, mocked, without fear of legal reprisal.

Edited by Justin Z

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Who, as soon as a marxist government starts to squeeze them will relocate to friendlier countries. Here's another wee throwaway fact for potential Labour supporters. Every single Labour government bar none has left power with the unemployment rate higher than when they took office. 

Well you stop them from trading here.