Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

:phface::rudi:

:D Obviously you do.

I'd forgotten how much of a brain-dead zoomer you are. I wish I had remained in such bliss.

27 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Guy with the afro 

are you saying you would put independence before ending austerity

snp are the Scottish govt and partly responsible for austerity

she didn’t answer the question

Fiona Bruce owning her

Christ on a bike. SNP decided and maintained austerity now? Just Wow!

9 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

An utter embarrassment to Scotland. 

I agree. You are. 
Like her or loathe her, shes a country MILE ahead of any other party leader in the UK bar none. 
Top class and following her display this evening, I will wager she will be voted as giving the best & most convincing performance of the night. 

35 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

I had to switch that question time off. Three of the audience members said there was a mandate for a second Scottish independence referendum. Is there? If there is, by which measure?

The scottish government voted for it by a clear majority. Its mandated. 

12 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dreadful drone of a woman with no policies 

not in my name love

thank god she is finished 

here’s Jo though 

Car crash Jo. She voted for the bedroom tax and refusal to increase benefits for the most vulnerable. 
But “she sometimes got things wrong”!

Did ye aye? Tory voting coo!!!

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I agree. You are. 
Like her or loathe her, shes a country MILE ahead of any other party leader in the UK bar none. 
Top class and following her display this evening, I will wager she will be voted as giving the best & most convincing performance of the night. 

Wow........just wow.

The Mighty Thor
56 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Two issues really. Would you want to lose £1700  a year? Would you trust a Corbyn government to use it wisely ? And not just create a need soon for another £1700.

I've no dog in the fight. 

I was merely pointing out that the headline of people screaming about a crippling tax burden have no idea what the actual tax increase would be. 

Should we all be paying more to fund services? Yes. 

So should the companies the Tories wrote off 25 billion worth of tax for. 

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Scottish Parliament. 

16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dreadful drone of a woman with no policies 

not in my name love

thank god she is finished 

here’s Jo though 

Tell No if she wants to stay in the EU, as she's currently a Scottish MP. Independence is the only way. 👍

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So there’s not a popular vote in favour of it? I don’t think a country can request a referendum on independence off the back of that.

Another point to be made is why should it be a simple 50% majority surely a two thirds majority should be the hurdle to get something like this done?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

How do these activists get into the audience to ask the right questions ?

lookin forward to spotting the brigadooners when nippy gets her turn

:cornette_dog:

4 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

So there’s not a popular vote in favour of it? I don’t think a country can request a referendum on independence off the back of that.

Another point to be made is why should it be a simple 50% majority surely a two thirds majority should be the hurdle to get something like this done?

As Ri Alban pointed out it was the Scottish Parliament that voted for it and in any case, the morning of the 13th December will determine if theres a fresh mandate on that subject given its part of the SNP’s manifesto. 

As for your last point. Was it 2/3rds majority for Brexit?

Its called democracy, a majority is 50% + 1.

7 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Didn't need it 2/3rds in 1707, did we. Or Brexit or to vote in Government. But hey, Scotland. 

The no vote didn't reach 2/3rds either.

Corbyn and Sturgeon have performed well tonight, albeit I don't think they weren't given particularly tough questions. The questions on Independence were more broad brush strokes than say, forensic questioning on things like currency and debt.

Jo Swinson though, is being given a much tougher time and being shown up quite frankly as lightweight politically.

Their policy on Brexit is anti democratic (Corbyn's isn't), only refused to rule out a coalition with the Tories if Johnson leader (Labour or the SNP would never go into coalition with any Tory party) and her main progressive policy is to end austerity by stopping Brexit....just a pity she enabled it in Government. 

I just don’t think a majority of 50% + 1 is good enough to pass legislation as wide ranging and divisive such as Brexit or Independence.

Shanks said no

After watching this I am unsure if I can bring myself to vote. Is this really the best political minds that the UK can produce?

1 minute ago, dicksojo said:

I just don’t think a majority of 50% + 1 is good enough to pass legislation as wide ranging and divisive such as Brexit or Independence.

Thatcher said"If Scotland wants independence, all it needs to do is vote in a majority of SNP MPs"

So what would you rather have?

3 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Do you think a radical change such as yours should be introduced by 50%+1?

26 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I agree. You are. 

Because I don't agree with you? In your opinion and those that follow her every word. 

Just now, Class of 75 said:

Because I don't agree with you? In your opinion and those that follow her every word. 

He just showed you the same respect, you showed the FM. 

She's not my First Minister, I never voted for her. 

That's fine. But the Scottish parliament did and so did her constituents. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Thatcher said"If Scotland wants independence, all it needs to do is vote in a majority of SNP MPs"

So what would you rather have?

I certainly think that a simple 50% + 1 majority isn’t strong enough to put such a massive issue to bed. 

To be honest I would much prefer Scotland to remain in the union and the UK to remain in the EU. For me that seems to be the most sensible and beneficial outcome for everyone. But hey ho.

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You can keep arguing that people should expect not to pay more tax.     But if we're destined to retain the status quo levels of taxation,    you might like to consider where the country is going to get sufficient revenues to continue funding everything.      The current settlement and economic model is no longer working.     The cost base of services is growing faster than economic growth and tax receipts can sustain.      You might like to explain how our already ragged services will be funded under the same settlement in 20 to 30 years time.

It is a complicated question. The answer is probably not with a set of policies which on the one hand increase at least temporarily tax revenue at the cost of depressing or reversing GDP growth

The economists whose projections we are happy to endorse on Brexit will be dismissed as establishment propagandists when it comes to an assessment of the impact of Corbyn's economic policies.

Just now, ri Alban said:

That's fine. But the Scottish parliament did and so did her constituents. 

Funny given that she is a minority government being propped up by the Greens. I think there will be further surprises in the GE. Not all cut and dried. 

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Do you think a radical change such as yours should be introduced by 50%+1?

As I said 50+1 is too thin to enact such radical change. 

Funny given that she is a minority government being propped up by the Greens. I think there will be further surprises in the GE. Not all cut and dried. 

No long noo so I suppose weel see!

To many obvious plants in the audience. No leader has performed well. Boris getting ripped by the audience. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

2 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

You're right, the Tories will hold one seat.

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

To many obvious plants in the audience. No leader has performed well. Boris getting ripped the audience. 

Sturgeon performed well. Far better than the others. 

5 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

I certainly think that a simple 50% + 1 majority isn’t strong enough to put such a massive issue to bed. 

To be honest I would much prefer Scotland to remain in the union and the UK to remain in the EU. For me that seems to be the most sensible and beneficial outcome for everyone. But hey ho.

And I think Scotland would do better as an independent country and in good times with England and The EU.

Corbyn was excellent.    Sturgeon was polished and credible.    Swinson was totally savaged and discredited.    Johnson has been his usual bag of shite.      

Wonderful stuff.

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

"SNP are a minoteetee guvurnmunt"

Showing a total lack of understanding of how the d'Hondt voting system works.

No I am not. Facts are facts. 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Corbyn was excellent.    Sturgeon was polished and credible.    Swinson was totally savaged and discredited.    Johnson has been his usual bag of shite.      

Wonderful stuff.

Swinson is a car crash. 

The lib dems bubble, of mainly ex Tories, will be burst in a few weeks. 

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It is a complicated question. The answer is probably not with a set of policies which on the one hand increase at least temporarily tax revenue at the cost of depressing or reversing GDP growth

The economists whose projections we are happy to endorse on Brexit will be dismissed as establishment propagandists when it comes to an assessment of the impact of Corbyn's economic policies.

That's just an answer to state what will not fund our services.     I'll continue to assume that higher taxation across the spectrum is a credible answer until someone can provide an equally credible explanation of how the status quo will suddenly become the model of the future.

Trapper John McIntyre

I didn't know there was so many Scots in Sheffield these days.

Pity; none of them would be allowed  a vote in Indy ref 2 despite yearning for it.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Wonderful stuff.

JC was really passionate. And now they can leave him alone on Brexit. Great answer.

Boris is just a balloon. 

Trapper John McIntyre
17 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Sturgeon performed well. Far better than the others. 

Because she was the least important of the four.

And the debate wasnt held in Scotland.