Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

12 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Nonsense. And the English managerial merry go round of utter failures proves it. 

So duff managers are picked up quickly.  How does that disprove that good managers don't remain unemployed for long?

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

30 minutes ago, smiler said:

How did you fill your days before you starting spamming the **** out this place?

That's a bit cheap.

You may not agree with the poster but he is fully entitled to express his opinion.

Forever Hearts
20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So duff managers are picked up quickly.  How does that disprove that good managers don't remain unemployed for long?

Obviously good managers get picked up quickly. But so do crap ones.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok first post but have been reading the board for a long long time.

Just felt I had to comment on the recent infighting.

It's seem so obvious to me that those who are defending Levein are either trolls or supporters of the caravan dwellers.

I dislike the term PHM but to be fair I would like to think that Hearts fans would not truly fight like this.

I am in the Levein out camp and don't support him moving back to the DoF role.

In fact I can't see a need for such a role at Hearts, pretty sure someone on the board could do the negotiations re player contracts without it being a specific job. 

For me the manager uses the scouts to identify players he would like, and who would fit into his style of play. He then hands said list to the board for approval and a board members then sit down with players agents to work out if we can afford to sign him.

IF we do require a specific DoF role then he should be over seeing the over all running of the football club, without interfering with the manager and his tactics. 

The manager should be taking training on a daily basis and using his coaches to interact with the players, getting them playing to the managers instructions.

Lastly I would like Ann to stay on in some role, but having said that, she is tarnishing all she has done by supporting Levein above and beyond his welcome.

Welcome.

Feel free to tell us some amazing special forces anecdotes from your serving time.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe Hearts didn't think he was good enough and that is a view probably shared by many other clubs as they obviously haven't sought him out.  Good managers don't remain unemployed for long so it will be interesting to see who comes for him first.

Good managers don't remain unemployed long. By your own words you are saying Levein isn't a good manager. He had a fair bit of time unemployed after the scotland gig, 5 years between management jobs. I agree that wouldn't happen to a good manager.

1 hour ago, jambobob61 said:

Nonsense, shit bosses are generally good at interviews in all walks of life!

Not really ,  in most jobs your passed work history is not in the public domain as much as it is in professional football.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Good managers don't remain unemployed long. By your own words you are saying Levein isn't a good manager. He had a fair bit of time unemployed after the scotland gig, 5 years between management jobs. I agree that wouldn't happen to a good manager.

When did I say Levein was a good manager?

He was definitely "damaged goods" after his Scotland stint;  of that there is no doubt.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok first post but have been reading the board for a long long time.

Just felt I had to comment on the recent infighting.

It's seem so obvious to me that those who are defending Levein are either trolls or supporters of the caravan dwellers.

I dislike the term PHM but to be fair I would like to think that Hearts fans would not truly fight like this.

I am in the Levein out camp and don't support him moving back to the DoF role.

In fact I can't see a need for such a role at Hearts, pretty sure someone on the board could do the negotiations re player contracts without it being a specific job. 

For me the manager uses the scouts to identify players he would like, and who would fit into his style of play. He then hands said list to the board for approval and a board members then sit down with players agents to work out if we can afford to sign him.

IF we do require a specific DoF role then he should be over seeing the over all running of the football club, without interfering with the manager and his tactics. 

The manager should be taking training on a daily basis and using his coaches to interact with the players, getting them playing to the managers instructions.

Lastly I would like Ann to stay on in some role, but having said that, she is tarnishing all she has done by supporting Levein above and beyond his welcome.

Good post, that’s what most DoFs do and I doubt if anyone could provide evidence of any other one interfering to the extent he did with Neilson and Cathro.

When did I say Levein was a good manager?

You are one of few that are keen on defending him, would make one think you believe he is a good manager 🤷

3 minutes ago, TheStig said:

You are one of few that are keen on defending him, would make one think you believe he is a good manager 🤷

When did I defend him?

I have sympathised with the serious injury predicament that has visited him both as a player and a manager but I shall judge him when we have a semblance of a fit squad to choose from.  I also have reservations about whether any replacement would do much better in the circumstances - that of course could only be guesswork at best.

What I can say however is that we were top of the league before the injury problems really kicked in.  Is that right?

When did I defend him?

I have sympathised with the serious injury predicament that has visited him both as a player and a manager but I shall judge him when we have a semblance of a fit squad to choose from.  I also have reservations about whether any replacement would do much better in the circumstances - that of course could only be guesswork at best.

What I can say however is that we were top of the league before the injury problems really kicked in.  Is that right?

One injury problem caused us problems while top, Naismith going off in LC semi. One player out the team and it went tits up...

When did I defend him?

See for me this actually tells us how poor his management is. He’s unable to manage the available players. Let’s be realistic this was not 3 or 4 games where players were out and it was a blip, it’s been going on for a year and he’s been incapable of fashioning a winning team from what he has. He knew how long these players were out for yet there was no obvious game plan, change of style or tactics to address the problem. Anytime he’s stumbled across a winning formation he immediately changes it. 

With such an injury list surely you play the best available 11 and play to the strengths of those players not chop and change to suit the opposition which blatantly doesn’t work.

Despite the injuries he has a decent pool of players left to pick from yet still we continue to drop lower and lower down the league.

What may I ask will your position be if even with these players back we continue to struggle? If that plays out we are bang in trouble. 

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good post, that’s what most DoFs do and I doubt if anyone could provide evidence of any other one interfering to the extent he did with Neilson and Cathro.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. His interfering is not something that is quoted much nor is the fact he has lied as this quote proves:

He said: "I just laughed when I saw those comments. There were never any notes passed, trust me. That's not true.

Now I am fairly positive I watched live on TV when this happened as did many many others.

Added to the number of duff players he has signed since promotion from the Championship, when he also stated he would only sign players of the same quality or better.

Never wanted him back at Hearts and have never subscribed to his legend status given by some. Ok he was a great player for us but after he stopped playing he has done nothing of note.

Selkirkhmfc1874
13 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. His interfering is not something that is quoted much nor is the fact he has lied as this quote proves:

He said: "I just laughed when I saw those comments. There were never any notes passed, trust me. That's not true.

Now I am fairly positive I watched live on TV when this happened as did many many others.

Added to the number of duff players he has signed since promotion from the Championship, when he also stated he would only sign players of the same quality or better.

Never wanted him back at Hearts and have never subscribed to his legend status given by some. Ok he was a great player for us but after he stopped playing he has done nothing of note.

There's was notes all the time and sitting right behind dugout every week saw it with my own eyes

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

There's was notes all the time and sitting right behind dugout every week saw it with my own eyes

I want levein to go but this line of argument kind of gets on my nerves, Robbie Neilson himself said he wanted levein sitting higher in stand and to let him know of the opposition made any tactical changes or if he spotted anything.. lots of clubs have spotters in the stand, it’s not uncommon - in this case our spotter was levein but it doesn’t mean levein was calling the shots Or making decisions  ..

I’ve no reason to believe Robbie was lying.. and it doesn’t change my view on levein leaving, but this particular theory was answered many times, I don’t think it’s relevant at all 

Edited by kingantti1874

45 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

See for me this actually tells us how poor his management is. He’s unable to manage the available players. Let’s be realistic this was not 3 or 4 games where players were out and it was a blip, it’s been going on for a year and he’s been incapable of fashioning a winning team from what he has. He knew how long these players were out for yet there was no obvious game plan, change of style or tactics to address the problem. Anytime he’s stumbled across a winning formation he immediately changes it. 

With such an injury list surely you play the best available 11 and play to the strengths of those players not chop and change to suit the opposition which blatantly doesn’t work.

Despite the injuries he has a decent pool of players left to pick from yet still we continue to drop lower and lower down the league.

What may I ask will your position be if even with these players back we continue to struggle? If that plays out we are bang in trouble. 

Yip.  A top manager who had injury problems in the epl said he looks for solutions, not excuses. 

Same applies at any league or level in football.  Solutions doesn’t necessarily mean a change in tactics or formation only, it could be a change in approach in respect of attitude towards the players, maybe adopting a more motivational strategy?  

He said himself(Levein) after the Killie game that maybe he’d been too supportive to certain players , too much arm around the shoulder and not enough demands put on them to step up and take responsibility as men. It could all be too little too late if he’s about to revert to a different approach.  

Edited by Debut 4

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Welcome.

Feel free to tell us some amazing special forces anecdotes from your serving time.

It’s only a username and doesn’t  mean he was in the SAS.

:laugh:

34 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Was hard to miss the notes under Cathro, but were there obvious notes under Neilson too? I can't mind

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yip.  A top manager who had injury problems in the epl said he looks for solutions, not excuses. 

Same applies at any league or level in football.  Solutions doesn’t necessarily mean a change in tactics or formation only, it could be a change in approach in respect of attitude towards the players, maybe adopting a more motivational strategy?  

He said himself(Levein) after the Killie game that maybe he’d been too supportive to certain players , too much arm around the shoulder and not enough demands put on them to step up and take responsibility as men. It could all be too little too late if he’s about to revert to a different approach.  

It’s a good point and indicates he’s as good as saying it’s ok to be crap I know it’s because our good players are injured. These players are under no pressure to perform. As for the being dropped comment last week, I suspect they all knew that anyway so what difference does it make to them.

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

This. When you're getting done at home by Dundee & St Mirren the game is up.  He started this season where he left off last season and it has got worse with every passing week : the LC games, Jesus wept. 

Ex member of the SaS
19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sorry to disappoint but I WAS in the SaS for more than 17 years

annushorribilis III
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Why do you refer to "SaS" and not SAS? 

Ex member of the SaS
46 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I want levein to go but this line of argument kind of gets on my nerves, Robbie Neilson himself said he wanted levein sitting higher in stand and to let him know of the opposition made any tactical changes or if he spotted anything.. lots of clubs have spotters in the stand, it’s not uncommon - in this case our spotter was levein but it doesn’t mean levein was calling the shots Or making decisions  ..

I’ve no reason to believe Robbie was lying.. and it doesn’t change my view on levein leaving, but this particular theory was answered many times, I don’t think it’s relevant at all 

My point was not about advice from the stands. But the fact he blatantly lied in this interview and at times during the AGM's.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, annushorribilis III said:

You would have to be in to understand the terminology.

annushorribilis III
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

OK. Educate me. 

4 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

SAS is Special Air Service

SaS is Shearer and Sutton

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

SAS is Special Air Service

SaS is Shearer and Sutton

What I was thinking. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I used to work for the BbC

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Neilson is on record as saying there was no interference. Cathro too I think. In fact Neilson said he missed not having a DoF at MK and now has one at D Utd. But you bash on with yer conspiracy theories.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

:orly?:

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

No shit Sherlock.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, kila said:

Was hard to miss the notes under Cathro, but were there obvious notes under Neilson too? I can't mind

There was yeah , Jack ross was down all the time with notes and verbal messages 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Whether you like it or not it happened trust me ! The thing that gets me is levein seemed to think he knew answer sitting in the stand but the last 2 seasons plus where's his answers been?

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson is on record as saying there was no interference. Cathro too I think. In fact Neilson said he missed not having a DoF at MK and now has one at D Utd. But you bash on with yer conspiracy theories.

I think it was Pittodrie during a televised game the cameras picked up on a note being passed from CL to the dug out?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He knows that but because there was nothing wrong with the post he was replying to, he comes back with that pish.  

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

It stands for Soup and Sausages.  He was onky in the scouts and they used to send him to the shops for their camping scran. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

He knows that but because there was nothing wrong with the post he was replying to, he comes back with that pish.  

Correct.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Prove it  how many of us could you take on at the same time? Also, could you track me down if I called you an arsehole? I'm no calling you that, I'm just asking.

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

What colour is the boat house in Hereford? 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

I think it was Pittodrie during a televised game the cameras picked up on a note being passed from CL to the dug out?

Aye but it was nothing to do with football, CL was telling them to check out the chebs on the bursd just along from him.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

How is note passing interference anymore than Neilson and Levein speaking about the team in person is interference, which they did regularly? Is he supposed to use a loudspeaker or maybe a homing pigeon to tell him something he thinks would be useful? Is coaches speaking to managers during a game about something they've seen or thought might help in a game interference?

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 hours ago, kila said:

With Cathro I think it became a thing they would do as a big show because that's the type of people we are dealing with, probably seen it as a big middle finger to anyone who dare criticise.

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Please, what was/is  the ‘terminology’?

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Morgan said:

Please, what was/is  the ‘terminology’?

If he told you he’d have to kill you.

:P

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If he told you he’d have to kill you.

:P

I suspected that.

I think it’s Grant Mitchell.

38 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

How is note passing interference anymore than Neilson and Levein speaking about the team in person is interference, which they did regularly? Is he supposed to use a loudspeaker or maybe a homing pigeon to tell him something he thinks would be useful? Is coaches speaking to managers during a game about something they've seen or thought might help in a game interference?

I’m not that arsed mate your the one making a big deal out of it. For the record my issues are not with Levein the DoF it’s Levein the manager that’s the problem. Unlike many I’d take Neilson back tomorrow with CL back upstairs notes or notes. 

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I suspected that.

I think it’s Grant Mitchell.

I think he must have been on active service at the same time as Spoleto

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic