Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

3 hours ago, martoon said:

I have to ask, Vlad, but if you don't see top 4 or a Cup win happening if injuries and form improve, why the faith in Levein? After all, the injury problems we have seem to be the main, often only, excuse his defenders put forward. 

If our poor start is the reason put forward that, imo, is down to Levein's incompetence as much, if not more, than injuries. 

If we go down the road of replacing Levein now the incumbent is in a hiding to nothing. 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

8 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

If we go down the road of replacing Levein now the incumbent is in a hiding to nothing. 

In what respect? A change of training methods, different approach to games, a new voice to listen to, all these things can transform a team. Things aren’t working and if they don’t improve we’ll be forced into change at that stage the players will be so devoid of confidence it could really spell disaster.

I can’t believe Levein now when he tells us he can fix it. So far there’s no evidence to back that up and I’m not even sure he believes it. He’s absolutely banking on injured players turning this round but again he’s had these players this season and last and it’s steadily getting worse. 

Edited by Rudy T

52 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

In what respect? A change of training methods, different approach to games, a new voice to listen to, all these things can transform a team. Things aren’t working and if they don’t improve we’ll be forced into change at that stage the players will be so devoid of confidence it could really spell disaster.

I can’t believe Levein now when he tells us he can fix it. So far there’s no evidence to back that up and I’m not even sure he believes it. He’s absolutely banking on injured players turning this round but again he’s had these players this season and last and it’s steadily getting worse. 

"but again he’s had these players this season and last and it’s steadily getting worse."

And they were injured this season and last.

It's not getting worse, but it's not getting better - until we get some of our 1st choice players playing. 

It's really quite simple.

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

"but again he’s had these players this season and last and it’s steadily getting worse."

It's not getting worse, but it's not getting better - until we get some of our 1st choice players playing. 

Aye sure whatever.

kingantti1874
29 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

What’s really simple is if you look at the teams we have put on the park over the last year they should have been capable of getting far better results than they have.. and putting injuries aside we have wasted huge money on players who seemingly aren’t worth anything like the outlay we have invested in them.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What’s really simple is if you look at the teams we have put on the park over the last year they should have been capable of getting far better results than they have.. and putting injuries aside we have wasted huge money on players who seemingly aren’t worth anything like the outlay we have invested in them.

We've the 4th largest budget so yes we've obviously been underperforming since Neilson left. However if you're willing to look for silver linings, our better players are on longer contracts. If Levein left today he'd be handing over a decent and pretty stable foundation, albeit with half of the first team injured. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

In today's environment I don't see how any new Hearts manager would get enough time to do well unless he's brilliant from the word go and sustains it for at least two seasons. In which case he'll be poached by a bigger club in no time. I'd like to think fans would give someone like Naismith a chance. Really don't think he'd get much time though. It's a worry but the club need to just ignore social media and a lot of the booing at games - now it's justified but under Neilson and when we had all our injuries... ? - and focus on monitoring attendances and merch sales, etc when gauging fan opinion when making decisions. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

If the incumbent is appointed by Levein, and is one of his current coaching staff, I agree. Even if he chose a successor from without it would be met with dismay and discontent by many. It's highly unlikely that he'd choose someone that was right for Heart of Midlothian over what was right for Craig Levein. 

All imo, of course, but you must have noticed that many, indeed, the majority, want Levein removed.

It's going to happen anyway. There's no way he's going to survive the departure of Ann Budge. We're treading water until that time comes but it's valuable time and money that is slipping through our fingers. 

It's frustrating beyond endurance for me that we're going nowhere and that no action is being taken. Every day is a waste and alienates unhappy supporters further. 

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I couldn't disagree more tbh, the club is at such a low ebb on the footballing side the only way is up. Martin O'Neill's theory on whether to take a managerial job was to weigh up where the club was and make a judgement on how much they were under performing. If you apply that maxim to us then it is a very attractive job. 

As much as he has made a mess of first team matters the evidence does suggest that a decent infrastructure has been put in place by Levein. A new manager can utilise first class training facilities, develop a playing style that is closer to our younger age groups and make more of the players currently at his disposal. It's a great opportunity for the right person. 

If we take a step back from how irate many of us are just now then the evidence shows that we are actually a reasonably patient support. Levein received support for a much longer time than he would have at other clubs or indeed with the national team. Posters suggesting that the new man would be thrust into some kind of nightmare is scaremongering. However, if you appointed someone in the second half of the season and we were in a similar situation to where we are now then that would be much more difficult. 

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

In today's environment I don't see how any new Hearts manager would get enough time to do well unless he's brilliant from the word go and sustains it for at least two seasons. In which case he'll be poached by a bigger club in no time. I'd like to think fans would give someone like Naismith a chance. Really don't think he'd get much time though. It's a worry but the club need to just ignore social media and a lot of the booing at games - now it's justified but under Neilson and when we had all our injuries... ? - and focus on monitoring attendances and merch sales, etc when gauging fan opinion when making decisions. 

What  a load of rubbish. ANY manager could walk into the current set up and get more out of the team than CL does.

The idea that any appointee is going to be  headhunted is delusional. The club needs to grow some balls and ask what it really wants to achieve and go for it. You're simply making excuses for , and justifying, a failed regime. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Why do you want to put injuries aside?
A lot of the money we've spent is in the treatment room

Should we just ignore it and pretend it's not happening?

21 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

What  a load of rubbish. ANY manager could walk into the current set up and get more out of the team than CL does.

The idea that any appointee is going to be  headhunted is delusional. The club needs to grow some balls and ask what it really wants to achieve and go for it. You're simply making excuses for , and justifying, a failed regime. 

Do you have someone in mind?

Guest ToqueJambo
38 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I’m more basing this on some fans’ expectations of Neilson than Levein. Any manager is a bold statement though. They’d all rather have naismith, souttar, haring, halkett, washington, walker and a properly fit damour and uche than have to rely on the 2nd and 3rd picks I’m sure.  

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Do you have someone in mind?

Plenty of excellent candidates out there.  Even some that wouldn't require compensation like Neil Harris.  He did a brilliant job for Millwall and might relish the chance to manage us (the opponents in his benefit match).

Edited by Randy Marsh

7 hours ago, Jodami said:

I couldn't disagree more tbh, the club is at such a low ebb on the footballing side the only way is up. Martin O'Neill's theory on whether to take a managerial job was to weigh up where the club was and make a judgement on how much they were under performing. If you apply that maxim to us then it is a very attractive job. 

As much as he has made a mess of first team matters the evidence does suggest that a decent infrastructure has been put in place by Levein. A new manager can utilise first class training facilities, develop a playing style that is closer to our younger age groups and make more of the players currently at his disposal. It's a great opportunity for the right person. 

If we take a step back from how irate many of us are just now then the evidence shows that we are actually a reasonably patient support. Levein received support for a much longer time than he would have at other clubs or indeed with the national team. Posters suggesting that the new man would be thrust into some kind of nightmare is scaremongering. However, if you appointed someone in the second half of the season and we were in a similar situation to where we are now then that would be much more difficult. 

Good post 👍🏻

9 hours ago, Spoleto said:

How is it not getting worse? The run of results is the joint worst in our history, and even with the injuries, the players we have throughout the squad should be more than capable of being a top six side.

8 hours ago, Jodami said:

Great post. Our problem is our playing style or lack of.  Even with the injuries we have enough good players to be much better than we are currently showing but we need a coaching infrastructure that has a plan A never mind B, C and D.  

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Plenty of excellent candidates out there.  Even some that wouldn't require compensation like Neil Harris.  He did a brilliant job for Millwall and might relish the chance to manage us (the opponents in his benefit match).

How exactly did he do a "brilliant" job at Millwall?

29 minutes ago, karipidis said:

How is it not getting worse? The run of results is the joint worst in our history, and even with the injuries, the players we have throughout the squad should be more than capable of being a top six side.

How many games have been lost due to crazy individual errors. We've lost games due to crazy defending and downright bad luck.

My view is that nothing has changed though. 12 months ago we lost key players through injury, we're still missing key players through injury. Levein is going to be here until the end of the season so why not just get behind the team, you'll get your managerial change soon enough. I just hope you're happy when we do!

13 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Great post. Our problem is our playing style or lack of.  Even with the injuries we have enough good players to be much better than we are currently showing but we need a coaching infrastructure that has a plan A never mind B, C and D.  

So when you have a Plan A and lose the players to play it do you continue with Plan A or move to a Plan B?

3 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

How many games have been lost due to crazy individual errors. We've lost games due to crazy defending and downright bad luck.

My view is that nothing has changed though. 12 months ago we lost key players through injury, we're still missing key players through injury. Levein is going to be here until the end of the season so why not just get behind the team, you'll get your managerial change soon enough. I just hope you're happy when we do!

Individual errors and the individuals keep getting a game because Levein has his favourites and he can't change his bloodymindedness, and he thinks his system (whatever it is) is going to come good and we'll all be proved wrong and he'll be proved right. The mans a joke of a coach and should have been emptied months ago.

I’ll try this for a third time as the last two attempts were ignored. This thread was started after the awful performance against St Mirren in Feb when they were sitting bottom of the League. Naismith, Soapy, Haring, Berra, Uche etc all played and the tactics were awful. There was good reason to start the thread then and it’s existence has been justified ever since.

The manager was, and is, the problem.

Just now, Boab said:

I’ll try this for a third time as the last two attempts were ignored. This thread was started after the awful performance against St Mirren in Feb when they were sitting bottom of the League. Naismith, Soapy, Haring, Berra, Uche etc all played and the tactics were awful. There was good reason to start the thread then and it’s existence has been justified ever since.

The manager was, and is, the problem.

What do you mean by "I'll try this for a third time"? 

You've stated your position. What do you want me to do?

Just now, Spoleto said:

What do you mean by "I'll try this for a third time"? 

You've stated your position. What do you want me to do?

Offer an opinion on why a team with all our good players in it couldn’t beat a team bottom of the league because we played a 3-6-1 formation ?

If you want that is !

People keep banging on about having the 4th biggest budget so we should be doing better. 

Take the wages out of that budget for all the players that have been injured and you may find that CL has actually been punching above his weight finishing top 6.

22 minutes ago, Boab said:

Offer an opinion on why a team with all our good players in it couldn’t beat a team bottom of the league because we played a 3-6-1 formation ?

If you want that is !

Shit happens?

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

People keep banging on about having the 4th biggest budget so we should be doing better. 

Take the wages out of that budget for all the players that have been injured and you may find that CL has actually been punching above his weight finishing top 6.

😂😂😂

That is a very valid point which no one can deny.

Our better budget is in the treatment room.

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

See if you are blind and take the half facts into account I'd still struggle to give that credibility.

Squad is an issue and the associated injuries to a certain extent.

However our ISSUE is the set-up and the way first picks, reserves, kids et al are asked to deploy under the clown that is in charge. Look NO further!

1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

I will be ecstatic.

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, Spoleto said:

SPOT ON

2 hours ago, Spoleto said:

How exactly did he do a "brilliant" job at Millwall?

Got Millwall promoted to the Championship.  He then kept them in the Championship for several years despite operating on one of the lowest budgets in the league each season.  In a very competitive league as well.  He also had some good cup runs where many Premier League scalps were taken.  I thought you might have known this since you and your fellow apoligists like to bring up Leveins good cup record in recent times.  Obviously that fact just applies for Levein when discussing potential candidates.  Your lack of football knowledge is staggering but hardly surprising. 

word of the day:

Apologist is used a lot these days and not just on here. As it only means speaking in defence of something unpopular or controversial I feel it’s an overused term. 

15 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Got Millwall promoted to the Championship.  He then kept them in the Championship for several years despite operating on one of the lowest budgets in the league each season.  In a very competitive league as well.  He also had some good cup runs where many Premier League scalps were taken.  I thought you might have known this since you and your fellow apoligists like to bring up Leveins good cup record in recent times.  Obviously that fact just applies for Levein when discussing potential candidates.  Your lack of football knowledge is staggering but hardly surprising. 

Maybe Hearts didn't think he was good enough and that is a view probably shared by many other clubs as they obviously haven't sought him out.  Good managers don't remain unemployed for long so it will be interesting to see who comes for him first.

Ex member of the SaS

Ok first post but have been reading the board for a long long time.

Just felt I had to comment on the recent infighting.

It's seem so obvious to me that those who are defending Levein are either trolls or supporters of the caravan dwellers.

I dislike the term PHM but to be fair I would like to think that Hearts fans would not truly fight like this.

I am in the Levein out camp and don't support him moving back to the DoF role.

In fact I can't see a need for such a role at Hearts, pretty sure someone on the board could do the negotiations re player contracts without it being a specific job. 

For me the manager uses the scouts to identify players he would like, and who would fit into his style of play. He then hands said list to the board for approval and a board members then sit down with players agents to work out if we can afford to sign him.

IF we do require a specific DoF role then he should be over seeing the over all running of the football club, without interfering with the manager and his tactics. 

The manager should be taking training on a daily basis and using his coaches to interact with the players, getting them playing to the managers instructions.

Lastly I would like Ann to stay on in some role, but having said that, she is tarnishing all she has done by supporting Levein above and beyond his welcome.

24 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

The year they got promoted they finished 6th in the league to get into the play offs. He might be considered to have been lucky. I'll take your word about his budget in the championship. Do you know where Millwall come in terms of their budget compared to other clubs?

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It's seem so obvious to me that those who are defending Levein are either trolls or supporters of the caravan dwellers.

I dislike the term PHM but to be fair I would like to think that Hearts fans would not truly fight like this.

In fact I can't see a need for such a role at Hearts, pretty sure someone on the board could do the negotiations re player contracts without it being a specific job. 

For me the manager uses the scouts to identify players he would like, and who would fit into his style of play. He then hands said list to the board for approval and a board members then sit down with players agents to work out if we can afford to sign him.

IF we do require a specific DoF role then he should be over seeing the over all running of the football club, without interfering with the manager and his tactics. 

The manager should be taking training on a daily basis and using his coaches to interact with the players, getting them playing to the managers instructions.

Lastly I would like Ann to stay on in some role, but having said that, she is tarnishing all she has done by supporting Levein above and beyond his welcome.

With a username like that you can say whatever you like and i doubt anyone will be challenging you to a 'square-go' round the back of the Wheatfield anytime soon :laugh2:

Not much wrong with your post, by the way (and i am not just saying that!)

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe Hearts didn't think he was good enough and that is a view probably shared by many other clubs as they obviously haven't sought him out.  Good managers don't remain unemployed for long so it will be interesting to see who comes for him first

Know one else had been considered for over two years now since no good managers want to work under Levein.  Agree with your 2nd point though.  My guess is not very long. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

With a username like that you can say whatever you like and i doubt anyone will be challenging you to a 'square-go' round the back of the Wheatfield anytime soon :laugh2:

Thanks Bear.

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Your first post and straight away you attack and vilify everyone that has a different opinion to you.

And you call other people trolls 😂

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Oh dear !!!

10 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Oh dear !!!

How did you fill your days before you starting spamming the **** out this place?

1 minute ago, smiler said:

How did you fill your days before you starting spamming the **** out this place?

:spoton:

3 hours ago, Spoleto said:

So when you have a Plan A and lose the players to play it do you continue with Plan A or move to a Plan B?

I am still waiting for a Plan A.  

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Reinforcements arrive. 

Opening salvo... 

Anyone who disagrees with me is a hibs troll. 

If you don't think Hearts fans would fight like this, then you can't go to the games. 

Plenty arguments in the stands, even fighting. Seen it at the lc sf and some have reported incidents on here over the past 6 months. 

The rest of your post is an opinion, like thousands of others who would think differently in  regards to scouts, DoF and Ann which your welcome to, but don't call folk who disagree with you a hibs troll. 

It's lazy and untrue. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Forever Hearts
47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe Hearts didn't think he was good enough and that is a view probably shared by many other clubs as they obviously haven't sought him out.  Good managers don't remain unemployed for long so it will be interesting to see who comes for him first.

Nonsense. And the English managerial merry go round of utter failures proves it. 

4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Nonsense. And the English managerial merry go round of utter failures proves it. 

Gary Monk leaps to mind to reinforce your point.

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, smiler said:

Spamming the **** out of this place.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic