Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Very good :rofl:

Ann is really taking the piss now. Wonder how much it cost to build him a satellite office all the way up there? Could have used that cash to buy Lafferty, Cummings, and Shankland. ☹️

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ann is really taking the piss now. Wonder how much it cost to build him a satellite office all the way up there? Could have used that cash to buy Lafferty, Cummings, and Shankland. ☹️

Wumins teams and Satellite Offices. She’s no even finished the stand yet!

Mad Budge oooot!

One of the biggest problems last season was our inability to score goals,

Our GF record was embarrassing,

Has Levein done enough to change that? Or is it going to be a case of, no naismith = no goals, all over again. 

I personally don't think he can change it with the way he insists on setting his team up. 

Captain Sausage

Interesting article.

Hadn't realised Berra's absence (seems obvious now!) was part of our fantastic run. Even the Celtic game at Tynie, he had that goal line tackle in the first half but Hughes came on and did really well in the second half when we scored our winner.

As always, statistics can be used to suit anyone's agenda - in this case the recent form (I absolutely believe it is unacceptable for us to perform as we currently are). However, was interesting to see that Levein's win percentage is comparable (42 vs 44%) with his last stint in charge.

As I said at the start of this season, it's make or break for CL. Had we romped through the League Cup group stages and won at Aberdeen, everything would probably be fairly calm. But we didn't, and our start to the season has been very poor. The voices of discontent are growing (and understandably so) but there is literally zero point in upheaval of the backroom staff just now.

The transfer window is closed, so bringing in someone new to work with Levein's players wouldn't solve anything as the old excuse of 'not my team' (which Levein himself has used) will be levelled. CL should be given until Christmas and we can critically evaluate his performance at that point. If we're still lingering around the bottom six, struggling against the smaller teams and getting beaten by the top 5, then it's time for CL to go.

However, I'm fairly confident that we have the players in place now to claim a top four finish this season and I expect nothing less. We should also (drawing the OF dependent) be expecting a couple of semi finals this season too. I see what Craig is trying to build, unfortunately he's not picking up the results which would give him the space he wants but he needs to go out there and start winning matches. I believe, come January, we'll be performing significantly better and most reasonable Hearts fans will be back onside.

For those who will snipe this no doubt with 'aye, but what about the end of last season likes' - we had the same squad in May as we had in September (barring injuries) and look at the change in performance. A returned Naismith and Haring combined with up-to-speed Damour and Whelan and I cannot see us finishing outside of the top 4. Add in Washington, Walker, Halkett, the emergence of Irving and Hickey with the potential for this Japanese lad to come in.

Come the end of the season we will be 4th or better, anything less and I'd expect Ann to act. Come January, if we're still miles off the pace, I'd expect Ann to act.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

However, it is interesting to note that the only major personnel change at the back is Christophe Berra, who only played two of the unbeaten 10 games last season but started all 10 of this recent dire run. On that evidence, might Levein be better partnering new recruit Craig Halkett with John Souttar when the latter returns from injury?

Good shout.

When are you going to wake up and smell the coffee its over he needs to go now.

Edited by tntjambo

14 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Interesting article.

Hadn't realised Berra's absence (seems obvious now!) was part of our fantastic run. Even the Celtic game at Tynie, he had that goal line tackle in the first half but Hughes came on and did really well in the second half when we scored our winner.

As always, statistics can be used to suit anyone's agenda - in this case the recent form (I absolutely believe it is unacceptable for us to perform as we currently are). However, was interesting to see that Levein's win percentage is comparable (42 vs 44%) with his last stint in charge.

As I said at the start of this season, it's make or break for CL. Had we romped through the League Cup group stages and won at Aberdeen, everything would probably be fairly calm. But we didn't, and our start to the season has been very poor. The voices of discontent are growing (and understandably so) but there is literally zero point in upheaval of the backroom staff just now.

The transfer window is closed, so bringing in someone new to work with Levein's players wouldn't solve anything as the old excuse of 'not my team' (which Levein himself has used) will be levelled. CL should be given until Christmas and we can critically evaluate his performance at that point. If we're still lingering around the bottom six, struggling against the smaller teams and getting beaten by the top 5, then it's time for CL to go.

However, I'm fairly confident that we have the players in place now to claim a top four finish this season and I expect nothing less. We should also (drawing the OF dependent) be expecting a couple of semi finals this season too. I see what Craig is trying to build, unfortunately he's not picking up the results which would give him the space he wants but he needs to go out there and start winning matches. I believe, come January, we'll be performing significantly better and most reasonable Hearts fans will be back onside.

For those who will snipe this no doubt with 'aye, but what about the end of last season likes' - we had the same squad in May as we had in September (barring injuries) and look at the change in performance. A returned Naismith and Haring combined with up-to-speed Damour and Whelan and I cannot see us finishing outside of the top 4. Add in Washington, Walker, Halkett, the emergence of Irving and Hickey with the potential for this Japanese lad to come in.

Come the end of the season we will be 4th or better, anything less and I'd expect Ann to act. Come January, if we're still miles off the pace, I'd expect Ann to act.

Good post, well balanced summary.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, farin said:

Many already realise this, some refuse to face facts though. He’s had 3 years to get this right & look where we are now. His record is abysmal as hearts manager. 

2 years yesterday mate

Unknown user
1 minute ago, farin said:

Im blaming him for the Cathro debacle too. Not just his tenure. 😉 

Some "refuse to face facts" right enough ;)

Last Season we reached the SF of the League Cup, reached the Scottish Cup Final (which we could easily have won) and finished 6th. That despite horrendous injuries to key players. 

God help the children if we have a REALLY bad season.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, farin said:

Fact is he was responsible for cathro. 😎

Fact is he was largely responsible for appointing Cathro, but not much point going over all that again

48 minutes ago, farin said:

Many already realise this, some refuse to face facts though. He’s had 3 years to get this right & look where we are now. His record is abysmal as hearts manager. 

Facts and statistics don't lie. 

Since the end of LAST year his record is embarrassing. 

No manager whether at Hearts or any other club would expect to still be in the job with that record. 

11 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Last Season we reached the SF of the League Cup, reached the Scottish Cup Final (which we could easily have won) and finished 6th. That despite horrendous injuries to key players. 

God help the children if we have a REALLY bad season.

We shat ourselves in the league Cup semi at Murrayfield. 

We did play well in the SC final but our route through to it was helped enormously by the luck of the draw (for once). 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

1 minute ago, farin said:

Budge thinks he’s doing a great job though, he should been replaced in the summer & a new guy given the transfer budget to work with. This won’t end well with levein in charge. 

Everyone else can see this apart from Mrs Budge it seems. 

3 minutes ago, farin said:

She seems totally in awe of him & it’s clouding her judgement imo. If results don’t improve dramatically they’ll be demos on the plaza to make her see sense. 

Yip agree, yet she says no one is bombproof. 

CL is very close to being exactly that imo. 

5 hours ago, farin said:

Im blaming him for the Cathro debacle too. Not just his tenure. 😉 

And quite rightly so!

On 28/08/2019 at 10:13, Captain Sausage said:

You make some good points but the only thing I question is this point. 

Look at at the difference Steve Clarke made with the same players as Lee McCulloch had. Different tactics and set up can make a difference. We know we have decent players but I just feel we are set up wrongly

Ann see's what he's doing behind the scenes. The infrastructure of the club etc. What he's built, academy wise etc etc. 

So in that regard, she can't sack him. 

When it comes to the first team, he is failing though. What does she do?

She's kind of stuck behind a rock and a hard place

She doesn't want to go for experience because she's already got that in Levein

She doesn't want to go for an up and coming new guy because... Cathro

Edited by Sagan

4 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Ann see's what he's doing behind the scenes. The infrastructure of the club etc. What he's built, academy wise etc etc. 

So in that regard, she can't sack him. 

When it comes to the first team, he is failing though. What does she do?

She's kind of stuck behind a rock and a hard place

She doesn't want to go for experience because she's already got that in Levein

She doesn't want to go for an up and coming new guy because... Cathro

Make a role for him...ie.Academy manager.

Fort Vallance
On 28/08/2019 at 10:13, Captain Sausage said:

Interesting article.

Is the transfer window not open until 3rd September ? Not that I'm questioning the basis of the post.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

He's got his hand in too many pies to give him just one role i would think.

She would have to take into account how he would react to what would basically be demotion and an admission of failure. 

I dunno, i just think it's a lot harder for her than just punt him, or just stick him in the academy. He basically runs the show at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Sagan said:

He's got his hand in too many pies to give him just one role i would think.

She would have to take into account how he would react to what would basically be demotion and an admission of failure. 

I dunno, i just think it's a lot harder for her than just punt him, or just stick him in the academy. He basically runs the show at the moment. 

I'm sure his health might be a reason given to move him sideways.

I'm sure his health might be a reason given to move him sideways.

I would imagine so, aye. 

1 minute ago, Sagan said:

I would imagine so, aye. 

Taking a step away from the front line due to stress/health problems kind of thing.

Taking a step away from the front line due to stress/health problems kind of thing.

That's most likely the reason that will be given if she does decide to act. 

13 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We already have an Academy Director.

Ricardo Shillyshally
7 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Everyone else can see this apart from Mrs Budge it seems. 

She can see it too and knows we are underachieving at the moment. There is a very real chance he'll be removed as head coach of we lose on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Who he could work alongside. 

Why? Completely pointless. If he was given a job alongside Roger Arnott people would be up in arms that we have 2 people doing the same job. 

10 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Why? Completely pointless. If he was given a job alongside Roger Arnott people would be up in arms that we have 2 people doing the same job. 

Like McDonald and Jardine.

2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Look at at the difference Steve Clarke made with the same players as Lee McCulloch had. Different tactics and set up can make a difference. We know we have decent players but I just feel we are set up wrongly

Agree. I also think as well as tactics/formation we have a negative mindset as a team, ie where a player has the option to make an attacking play (run or pass) or make a ‘safe’ pass they will go for the safe one more often than not. This becomes a big problem when everyone has this attitude and is why we end up passing back to the keeper when we have good possession near the oppositions box

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Is the transfer window not open until 3rd September ? Not that I'm questioning the basis of the post.

Fair point. Although if we sacked Levein now, we’d have 6 days to bring in a new man and him to sign up whoever he needed. 

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I totally agree. But you know if a new manager continued Levein’s form that the excuse would be rolled out!

Levein and Skacel threads. 

Some beverages been consumed I would imagine 😜

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Sagan said:

No merge. 

Let's see it. 

274 pages of bickering in Leveins time is up.

Find both arguments in there

1 minute ago, maggieb said:

Show us one affordable/reasonable alternative ? Everyone suggested bar the Scotland manager has duffed imo 

None of us know the budget but we can all comfortable know that we could beat everyone bar the old firm to a manager. 

11 minutes ago, kila said:

1. Keep Levein as manager

2. This creates seethe on fan forum(s) generating lots of page hits

3. ???

4. Profit!

It's what any forward thinking club would do. 

Just now, been here before said:

So attention seekers can start threads.

Still not seen any real reasons to keep him. 

Funny that. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic