• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

All roads lead to Gorgie

That non show in the first half will cost us. Japan were outstanding for that period though!

Maroon Sailor

Well that will be that then

New Zealand v Ireland

Japan v South Africa

Wales v France

England v Australia

Just now, skinnybob72 said:

Whatever Scotland might have to offer as an Independent nation it sure as hell isn’t sport!! 

Think it may come as a surprise when there's a government that gives a flying one about national sport actually funding it and a national broadcaster that actually gives a toss about it as well.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Think it may come as a surprise when there's a government that gives a flying one about national sport actually funding it and a national broadcaster that actually gives a toss about it as well.

Funding is everything.

Proven eg by Britain now being a gymnastics power.  And cycling. Etc. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Whatever Scotland might have to offer as an Independent nation it sure as hell isn’t sport!! 

I still blame the Scottish Parliament

Done feck all in football and rugby since 1999

Maroon Sailor

Fair play to Japan - not only to qualify for the knock out phase but to win the group and avoid the All Blacks is something else

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I still blame the Scottish Parliament

Done feck all since 1999

FTFY

All roads lead to Gorgie

Good luck Japan against the Springboks. The Boks forwards will be tougher to turn over but the Japan backs could be key if they get enough ball.

Did quite well to make it a contest.    Don't have to lose by 60 vs NZ.

Japan could beat SA if they can pick themselves back up to the same levels.   

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

I'm glad the referee at least was fair...in other words, it wasn't Barnes. 😁

That's how I saw it. Jonny Gray might be counting himself lucky but the game flowed. 

Try just after halftime made it almost an impossible task, well played Japan a thoroughly deserved win, and kudos to Scotland for restoring a little pride, all in all a fabulous game of rugby to watch...

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

At least we added a bit respectability to the scoreline.I thought at one time we were going to be on the end of a hammering

Exactly how I look at it. Good effort, we are going somewhere under Townsend, the team spirit is there

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Time running out 

Ye we didn't make the most of the 20 minutes or so, didn't move it quite quick enough 

Edited by rudi must stay

Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

In what way?

Scotland have now reached the bottom of the barrel. Losing to Japan! Fecking Japan! at anything, now that takes the Biscuit. Utter disgraceful,  but at least we'll get shot of GT. 

Hang your heads in shame and hopefully they'll have some angry people waiting for them at Edinburgh Airport on their return.

4 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

In what way?

Only the second time in our history to not make it out of the pools maybe?

Japan were excellent and fair play to them but the regression in the Scotland camp since bringing in that joker Townsend after so much progress had been made is shameful.

dobmisterdobster
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland have now reached the bottom of the barrel. Losing to Japan! Fecking Japan! at anything, now that takes the Biscuit. Utter disgraceful,  but at least we'll get shot of GT. 

Hang your heads in shame and hopefully they'll have some angry people waiting for them at Edinburgh Airport on their return.

Ireland lost to Japan too.

Japan topped the pool.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

A Japan team that beat Ireland and have been quite rightly acknowledged as a breath of fresh air to the tournament. I just wish our football team displayed the same spirit as their rugby counterparts.

51 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Done

Probably Laidlaw's last game too. 

And so it should be. He's laughably slow. Scotland were transformed when he came off.

That ended up being a fantastic game, in which both sides deserved huge credit. There was a key moment right after Scotland's third try. Japan gathering together under the posts and shaking themselves out of their stupor. For most of the rest of the game, they played the percentages and didn't try anything daft. That was almost against their instincts... but it's how to win at this level.

All sporting teams are an extension of their manager's personality - and the thing about Townsend was, he was brilliant, but only ever fitfully. This Scotland side played tremendously in the second half today - but 40 minutes of excellence plus 120 minutes of incompetence just ain't good enough. They ended up going out with pride intact... but third in a three-horse race.

They beat Ireland who are apparently on results number 2 in the world, they're on home turf. I actually thought it was going to be a 30 point loss at one point:humiliating. It wasn't. Two big chances went awry - Russell fumble b4 kick through for winger and Horne forward pass.

But you could see the Scots fans in the stadium were not sitting head in hands.

Edited by Riccarton3

All roads lead to Gorgie
Just now, ri Alban said:

Fecking Japan as you put it beat Ireland as well, they could easily beat South Africa now. 

We didn't do enough in the game to win and gave the ball away cheaply at times but we did make it a contest in the second half. Angry people at the airport, 🤣

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

And so it should be. He's laughably slow. Scotland were transformed when he came off.

Have to agree. Laidlaw is chatting to the referee whilst a counter ruck is in progress. Has a wee look and carries on chat. Signals to the man he is giving the ball to and points around. Gives it to the man he was only ever give it to. Sake Greig. 

6 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

That ended up being a fantastic game, in which both sides deserved huge credit. There was a key moment right after Scotland's third try. Japan gathering together under the posts and shaking themselves out of their stupor. For most of the rest of the game, they played the percentages and didn't try anything daft. That was almost against their instincts... but it's how to win at this level.

All sporting teams are an extension of their manager's personality - and the thing about Townsend was, he was brilliant, but only ever fitfully. This Scotland side played tremendously in the second half today - but 40 minutes of excellence plus 120 minutes of incompetence just ain't good enough. They ended up going out with pride intact... but third in a three-horse race.

This is where I lose all respect for you! Why aren't you gloating?  You should be ramming it up our useless Scottish archiebaulds.  Dont hold back if we fail to beat San marino later...

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Only the second time in our history to not make it out of the pools maybe?

Japan were excellent and fair play to them but the regression in the Scotland camp since bringing in that joker Townsend after so much progress had been made is shameful.

I agree with your point about Townsend and the performance against Ireland must have been down to poor preparation on his part as we didn't look like we had a clue during that match. I don't think the last three performances were shameful though. Very disappointing to see us coming home early but difficult to say if would not have happened with Cotter either!

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Rubbish! If all sports teams were an extension of their managers personality, levein would take more of a gamble in games...

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

This is where I lose all respect for you! Why aren't you gloating?  You should be ramming it up our useless Scottish archiebaulds.  Dont hold back if we fail to beat San marino later...

Nothing to gloat about! That match is why I adore this tournament and always have. Both sides gave it everything... and then some. Sensational spectacle. I don't think people on here realise how well appreciated that will have been all over the world: not just because Japan won, but because the occasion was magnificent.

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I agree with your point about Townsend and the performance against Ireland must have been down to poor preparation on his part as we didn't look like we had a clue during that match. I don't think the last three performances were shameful though. Very disappointing to see us coming home early but difficult to say if would not have happened with Cotter either!

Precisely. Seems to me, it very likely would've happened under Cotter too. Lest we forget, England put 60 past Cotter's Scotland - and we ain't world beaters by any stretch.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Precisely. Seems to me, it very likely would've happened under Cotter too. Lest we forget, England put 60 past Cotter's Scotland. 

Gloating 

Anyway. 

The focus moves to Australia beating England. 

Eddie Jones' record favours Australia. But they'll need to put a performance together for 80 minutes which is often beyond them. 

We back Wales in my house but Japan are interesting.

Edited by Mikey1874

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Pretty sure Japan are above us in the rankings.