ri Alban

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

IAAF President, Lord Coe, a Tory, taking the ching, ching view.

Bit unfair as no doubt whoever was in charge would have too.

Feel a bit dirty prefering Coe to Evett back in the day.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

So you should be. :) I was Evett all the way - never liked Coe as an athlete. In saying that, I thought he did a good job with the London Olympics and, until lately , thought he was doing a reasonable job with the IAAF.

Surely you mean Steve Ovett?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

IAAF President, Lord Coe, a Tory, taking the ching, ching view.

Bit unfair as no doubt whoever was in charge would have too.

Feel a bit dirty prefering Coe to Evett back in the day.

Ovett, doh.

Makes their world cup look pretty tin pot.  It's hilarious that the rules just dish out a 0-0 draw :lol: no attempt at a reschedule or changing stadium, straight to a 0-0 draw

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Surely you mean Steve Ovett?

Ha ha. I thought it didn't sound right. :D

I'm obviously closer to that nursing home than I care to think.

24 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Ovett, doh.

One of the great races

And to be fair to Coe he came back well to win 1500 and never looked back. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I agree it's only football and rugby I want to see ABE! They're just so ****ing arrogant in those two sports. 

It’s not arrogance is just fact that we are undoubtedly the best team in the world in both those sports, always have been, always will be!!!

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of the great races

And to be fair to Coe he came back well to win 1500 and never looked back. 

Preferred Cram, Eliot and McKean.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

If you bet on a draw on Sunday and it got cancelled would you win the bet given that it will be recorded as a 0-0?

the bookie would count it as a voided bet refunding your stake

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the bookie would count it as a voided bet refunding your stake

Why? Both teams get their two points and the score is recorded as 0-0 draw. It's not scratched from the record.

Also, apologies, not meaning to sound like I'm arguing with you. Just curious as to how they could say it wasn't a draw.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Why? Both teams get their two points and the score is recorded as 0-0 draw. It's not scratched from the record.

Because it will have been in the bookie's rules that a game must actually be played for a result to be valid for betting purposes

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This is Coral's rule as an example

image.png.ce4c6ebbc12dd03e211d3de1f78f07d6.png

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Because it will have been in the bookie's rules that a game must actually be played for a result to be valid for betting purposes

yep, they do what they can to avoid paying out especially for things like that. betfair have it that all bets will be voided if it is not played on sunday or if there is a venue change

Just now, milky_26 said:

yep, they do what they can to avoid paying out especially for things like that. betfair have it that all bets will be voided if it is not played on sunday or if there is a venue change

Interesting--Coral says a venue change is immaterial, so there are differences, but I am almost positive there's no bookie out there who'll say that if the match is cancelled, the result as recorded for the purposes of the competition will be the one paid out on

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Interesting--Coral says a venue change is immaterial, so there are differences, but I am almost positive there's no bookie out there who'll say that if the match is cancelled, the result as recorded for the purposes of the competition will be the one paid out on

agree, each bookie will have their slightly different set of rules but will be the same re a cancellation 

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This is Coral's rule as an example

image.png.ce4c6ebbc12dd03e211d3de1f78f07d6.png

It wouldn't have been abandoned though. It just would be allocated as a draw.

Anyway I was just curious given the somewhat unique nature of the situation so appreciate everyone's answers. I don't plan on doing it as some kind of get rich quick scheme 😂😂

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s not arrogance is just fact that we are undoubtedly the best team in the world in both those sports, always have been, always will be!!!

Nurse!!!! He's not taken is pills and is hogging the computer! :laugh:

Brighton Jambo
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

First sensible comment from you old thing! 

For the avoidance of doubt that comment about greatest team etc was tongue in cheek.....

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

For the avoidance of doubt that comment about greatest team etc was tongue in cheek.....

I know and I'm only jerking your chain. :thumbsup:

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I know and I'm only jerking your chain. :thumbsup:

Until we beat Czech Republic tonight to qualify then we can begin discussing how we will win Euro 2020!

Really hope the game goes ahead, as it has the makings of a great game. Think Scotland will wear them out and run them ragged in the last 20 minutes or so. Fingers crossed.

37 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Really hope the game goes ahead, as it has the makings of a great game. Think Scotland will wear them out and run them ragged in the last 20 minutes or so. Fingers crossed.

Scotland's best chance is to get to the 8 point lead position + two scores cushion.     So 18 point lead.    Then manage the remainder of the match.     Trying to rely on the final 20 mins is not a good plan.

Treat the first 20 mins as an urgency and get a lead building.   

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Until we beat Czech Republic tonight to qualify then we can begin discussing how we will win Euro 2020!

Steady now young man. You were doing well there. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Scotland's best chance is to get to the 8 point lead position + two scores cushion.     So 18 point lead.    Then manage the remainder of the match.     Trying to rely on the final 20 mins is not a good plan.

Treat the first 20 mins as an urgency and get a lead building.   

Not convinced. Guaranteed Japan will come out the blocks hard. Contain them. Tire them out and then cut loose...

4 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Not convinced. Guaranteed Japan will come out the blocks hard. Contain them. Tire them out and then cut loose...

Either way,   it's all about the boot.    Laidlaw's place kicking and Hogg's best touch kicking.      Get these right and Scotland win.      If they're off,   we'll toil.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Either way,   it's all about the boot.    Laidlaw's place kicking and Hogg's best touch kicking.      Get these right and Scotland win.      If they're off,   we'll toil.

Agree with that. We have to take advantage of any points available. .... Do we not just need to win by 8pts tho, to stop Japan getting a losing bonus point?? (Apologies if this has been established earlier in thread)

2 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Agree with that. We have to take advantage of any points available. .... Do we not just need to win by 8pts tho, to stop Japan getting a losing bonus point?? (Apologies if this has been established earlier in thread)

Yes but we could do with a cushion.   The commonly recognised cushion in most matches is two scores clear.   10 points.    If we're less than 18 ahead in the last 10 mins then we're vulnerable to a converted try and a last gasp pen or drop goal.

Or indeed... remembering our talent for the calamitous... a heroic 30 phase defence under our posts,   ending with a penalty try for something mysterious.

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Or indeed... remembering our talent for the calamitous... a heroic 30 phase defence under our posts,   ending with a penalty try for something mysterious.

You make a good point 😂

Hoping that our defence will be solid though

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You jest but on SkySports News this morning they asked if the line up tonight would be the same as the one in the final!!

Brighton Jambo
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You jest but on SkySports News this morning they asked if the line up tonight would be the same as the one in the final!!

That stuff just makes me cringe.  Anyway England have been so hopeless tonight they will be lucky to get out the group! 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So, about that...

1 hour ago, Old Hearts said:

If Japan go completely nuts they could get a 4-try bonus point.

Probably from 4 penalty tries in the last 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Boof said:

If Japan go completely nuts they could get a 4-try bonus point.

Probably from 4 penalty tries in the last 10 minutes.

That's why I think we can't go too gung-ho from the start. Keep it tight defensively, weather the storm and then step it up in 2nd half.

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Oops. World domination needs to wait a little while longer :whistling:

Brighton Jambo
29 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Oops. World domination needs to wait a little while longer :whistling:

Haha yeah I really jinxed that! 

If the game goes ahead. Scotland once again to be on the end of a very dubious refereeing decision in favour of Japan. Host nation and all that.

59 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If the game goes ahead. Scotland once again to be on the end of a very dubious refereeing decision in favour of Japan. Host nation and all that.

John, you're the same age as me, but you've turned into a right old dour *******.

Oh wait...

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I bet they meant 'finals'. Which are sometimes wrongly referred to as the final, ie. a final with 24 teams.

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I bet they meant 'finals'. Which are sometimes wrongly referred to as the final, ie. a final with 24 teams.

Much more likely they said finals and Tazio misheard, because what you have suggested just does not happen. Ever.

So then, what do we have here? After having years in which to contingency plan, it turns out that World Rugby's idea of that involves moving games a massive... 14 miles down the road. For a typhoon. Unbelievable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/11/world-rugby-contingency-plan-typhoon-hagibis-england-france-scotland-japan-cup

We also have the Chief Executive of Scottish Rugby keeping his head while all around him are losing theirs... and saying he won't accept Scotland being "collateral damage" from a storm which could kill people and cause total chaos. Shops, factories, rail networks closed down. Supermarkets running low on supplies as people panic buy. Evacuation advisories ahead of what could be Japan's biggest storm in 60 years... and the Scottish Rugby CEO thinks it's all about him. Tremendous.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/11/scotland-japan-pressure-rescheduled-rugby-world-cup

World Rugby, meanwhile, have boxed themselves into a corner. Imagine they moved Japan-Scotland to Monday. If they do that, they're open to a writ from the Italians, which the latter would be bound to win. That really would wreck any sense of sporting integrity left in the event. It's either the same treatment for everyone affected, or bust. 

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Much more likely they said finals and Tazio misheard, because what you have suggested just does not happen. Ever.

Most of the time, it doesn't. In similar vein, it's far less us who go on about The Year Which Must Not Be Named (a year whose mention I find cringeworthy, because it's a reminder of how useless we've been ever since) than, um, Scots. 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:17, leginten said:

I’m quite philosophical about the possible cancellation. This is a tournament which, like the 2002 football WC in Japan and S. Korea, is passing me by. I can’t keep more than half an eye on it or combine it with my normal working hours. In any case, any short-term feel-good factor after possibly beating Japan by a sufficient margin would dissipate rapidly when we hit the buffers painfully against NZ in the quarter-finals.

We should enjoy the unfolding drama. Going out of major sports tournaments after being the only undefeated side or on goal difference or because of an otherwise meaningless late goal elsewhere or because of a crap referee or by blowing a three-goal lead in the last 20 minutes is just so passé for Scotland. Been there, done that. A typhoon is something special. New ground. Just the hint of collusion and favouring the host team about it too. Instead of instantly forgetting this WC and drubbings by the Irish and NZ, we’ll be able to talk about it for decades to come. If only…

It’s our sporting destiny. It’s glorious. Embrace it.

And we would probably have gone on to win the damn thing.

That's what I'll be telling the grandkids anyway.

Seeing England lose at anything gives me great pleasure. Strangely enough, seeing them win doesn’t really bother me though so it’s pretty much a win-win situation for me 👍🏻english-fans-at-england-algeria-game.jpg

7 hours ago, graygo said:

And we would probably have gone on to win the damn thing.

That's what I'll be telling the grandkids anyway.

Yup. Should have been back to back world cup successes. 

Damn cheats and wind.