ri Alban

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s fair enough, obviously as an Englishman I don’t mind winning while being turgid.  

Plus if 4 tries and 40 points is turgid I will take that all day long given last time we beat Australia in a quarter final the score was 10-12 with no tries for England!! 

Absolutely! Even if that day in Marseille was utterly heroic in every way.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Ireland score. 
though the game should have been pulled back about 5 minutes ago from the initial break as Barrett was pulled back by the shirt from tackling the Irish player on the left wing. 

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

England scored 24 tries in this year's Six Nations, ten more than anyone else. Jonny May's scored more tries in international rugby this year than any other player. We put four past the Aussies today and looked good. We're hardly the most exciting side in the tournament - but it isn't the early 90s or mid to late noughties any longer. 'Turgid', my arse. 

But yes, we really do find out how good Japan truly are tomorrow. Their opponents are twice World Champions - who in their two victorious World Cup Finals, have a grand total of zero tries. Yet strangely, are never accused of what England are.

Turgid, aye! All forward play and not much variation. The tries mostly come from boring heavy packed rugby, tis always been thus. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Ireland score. 
though the game should have been pulled back about 5 minutes ago from the initial break as Barrett was pulled back by the shirt from tackling the Irish player on the left wing. 

Forward pass too. 

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Turgid, aye! All forward play and not much variation. The tries mostly come from boring heavy packed rugby, tis always been thus. 

Did you even watch today's game? Doesn't seem like it. 

5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Seriously can you not even give England a bit of even grudging respect. I hope  New Zealand go on to win the tournament but if England overcome them well good on them. 

Sorry wrong reply

Edited by 132goals1958

Maroon Sailor

Nigel Owens is a top class referee

He'll be hoping he doesn't get the final though

Edited by Maroon Sailor

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

No I didn't but I was generalising having watched England many times. I'm a debenture holder at Murrayfield so seen lots of games and England's brand of rugby can be brutal to watch at times and Welsh rugby too. 

7 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Seriously can you not even give England a bit of even grudging respect. I hope  New Zealand go on to win the tournament but if England overcome them well good on them. 

Sorry wrong reply

England have a chance as have strong squad. Well done to them but for a spectacle I'd like to see NZ v Japan as the rugby would hopefully be better to watch. 

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nigel Owens is a top class referee

He'll be hoping he doesn't get the final though

NZ v SA looking a real possibility.

The ideal scenario as far as I'm concerned.

- If England win, the players are all heroes and we'll have made history. We've never beaten New Zealand in this tournament and it's perfectly feasible we never will. It'll only take the performance of the players' lives to do it (and in the event of that borderline miracle, we'd have bloody no chance in the final. That's how much beating NZ takes out of any side).

- If England lose... well, what does anyone expect? It's New Zealand! The only country in the world where losing a Test match is treated as a national scandal; the only country in the world which produces generation after generation after generation of preternaturally good rugby players.

- And take it from me. When you've seen your country win the World Cup, it never quite matters as much again. So if (when?) we lose, I'll always have the memories of 2003 to keep me happy. :thumb: 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

NZ v SA looking a real possibility.

I'm not counting out the Welsh making it

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

- If England win, the players are all heroes and we'll have made history. We've never beaten New Zealand in this tournament and it's perfectly feasible we never will. It'll only take the performance of the players' lives to do it (and in the event of that borderline miracle, we'd have bloody no chance in the final. That's how much beating NZ takes out of any side).

- If England lose... well, what does anyone expect? It's New Zealand! The only country in the world where losing a Test match is treated as a national scandal; the only country in the world which produces generation after generation after generation of preternaturally good rugby players.

- And take it from me. When you've seen your country win the World Cup, it never quite matters as much again. So if (when?) we lose, I'll always have the memories of 2003 to keep me happy. :thumb: 

You can't look forward without looking back !

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

In relative terms the All Blacks are giants considering the are a fraction of the population of England.

Just now, 132goals1958 said:

In relative terms the All Blacks are giants considering the are a fraction of the population of England.

Yeah, but they live and breathe rugby. If Ireland didn't have any hurling or gaelic football they'd be stronger. 

Just now, JackLadd said:

Yeah, but they live and breathe rugby. If Ireland didn't have any hurling or gaelic football they'd be stronger. 

Good point but we live and breathe football.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Good point but we live and breathe football.

So does every country in Europe, except maybe Wales where Rugby is bigger. 

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

So does every country in Europe, except maybe Wales where Rugby is bigger. 

And unfortunate we are not as good as Wales in either game

Just now, JackLadd said:

Not just now, no.

The point I was trying to make is that even taking into account Rugby Union is their National sport it is amazing a country with less than 5 million population have for so long dominated and  hopefully they go on to win the world cup.

Seymour M Hersh
20 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

And if we didn't have football we'd.............................Oh wait we don't have football either we're just pants at team sport nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And if we didn't have football we'd.............................Oh wait we don't have football either we're just pants at team sport nowadays. 

And I see we have just been beaten by Singapore in the T20 cricket qualifiers.despite being the highest ranked side.

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

And I see we have just been beaten by Singapore in the T20 cricket qualifiers.despite being the highest ranked side.

Beat Kenya today. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Ireland looked hopeless today which just makes Townsend's management of our opening game even worse than we first thought. 

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

II suppose 2003 is still a relatively recent success (for England).When do you start to find it frustrating you can't follow it up? After 30 years (of hurt)?

Edited by Riccarton3

11 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

II suppose 2003 is still a relatively recent success (for England).When do you start to find it frustrating you can't follow it up? After 30 years (of hurt)?

No idea. The rugby team's near miss in 1991 hurt, then the World Cup seemed to be moving further and further away until the wonders of '03. Since then, until Jones came along especially, we've generally been total shite but it's just not mattered as much.

The cricket team's near misses in '87 and '92 hurt, a lot... then we became such a total joke at one day level for so long that winning the World Cup seemed like a pipedream. Had we lost the final this year, that'd have been unbearable... but we didn't, so we can do what we want now. Get knocked out in the first round for the next five tournaments and I'd still be happy.

The football team? Different story. The England football team winning the World Cup is my biggest dream in life, period. I realise how sad and pathetic that is - but if it happens, and only if it happens, will I be able to die happy. And you-know-when is of no consequence to me whatsoever because I wasn't around to see it! Thus it being mentioned always makes me cringe, because it reminds me that I've never seen it happen. :( 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Maroon Sailor

France have really come out the blocks

Wales 0-12 France

9 mins

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Shanks said no
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Wales 7-12 France

Incredible start to this match

Completely agree, every mistake punished

Maroon Sailor

France following the lead of the other two sides that didn't play last weekend

Wales 10-19 France

36 mins

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

These missed kicks might cost France. That's 5 easy points that have gone awry

Yes. Great to see them looking like France again though, after being so crap for so long. Really want them to win this.

Potentially a dull 2nd half as Wales Gatland the game to death.
And then every Welsh fan tells you how good they are and what lovely rugby they play.