ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Smack said:

Hogg is a great. He is a marked man though. Agree about Russell and as for Laidlaw.... don't start me. 

The truly great overcome being marked men. He needs to do this. It will be interesting to see how he fares at Exeter. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

3 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

I have been fed up with Greig Laidlaw for about 5/6 years. Don't rate his play at all. He can kick a ball which is fair enough but as captain, the amount of times he's decided to have a go at 3 points rather than a line out on the oppositions 5 is absolutely infuriating 

Can't remember a single pop at 3 points today from either team which is very unusual.

13 minutes ago, graygo said:

Can't remember a single pop at 3 points today from either team which is very unusual.

Suppose at this stage, with the necessity of bonus points, it's been discouraged. Don't think we went for the posts against Samoa or Russia either tbf 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

From now with Price and Horne to move the ball quickly we can improve markedly. You just have so many more options if you can move the ball quickly. 

There is some potential in a fairly young team. 

Exactly what we need. Laidlaw slows play down far too much at rucks, scrums etc 

15 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Suppose at this stage, with the necessity of bonus points, it's been discouraged. Don't think we went for the posts against Samoa or Russia either tbf 

Never realised that, certainly helps the flow of the game imo.

InNothingWeTrust

I was at the game last night. The atmosphere was incredible - the noise when Japan scored was unbelievable!

Disappointed with the result obviously, but I thought Japan were well worth their win. 

The Japanese fans were all wanting pictures with us and wanting to shake our hands at full time - was quite tricky smiling when you've just been pumped out the world cup!

Brighton Jambo

What’s I think is a shame is that Scotland’s reputation has been damaged by the actions of the SRU.  While people were literally dying and others were losing their homes, business etc the SRU are publicly taking about legal action should the game have been cancelled.  Talk about a lack of perspective and respect.  By all means have those conversations behind closed doors but keep it out the public domain.  All very poor in my opinion.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
12 hours ago, graygo said:

Japan missed a penalty at 7-7, the ball stayed in and we  messed up the clearance. A couple of minutes later they scored their second converted try. If they had scored that pen who knows... 3 points instead of 7 and their momentum might not have been as insane as it was

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What’s I think is a shame is that Scotland’s reputation has been damaged by the actions of the SRU.  While people were literally dying and others were losing their homes, business etc the SRU are publicly taking about legal action should the game have been cancelled.  Talk about a lack of perspective and respect.  By all means have those conversations behind closed doors but keep it out the public domain.  All very poor in my opinion.  

I think if they had cancelled the entire RWC then fair enough but Scotland were the only team that were really going to be hard done by a cancellation, so the SRU were entitled to fight their corner, ask for alternative options to be explored elsewhere or behind closed doors. Theres an entire week before the QFs and whilst rugby players need more recovery time exceptional circumstances justify a shorter break to allow a crucial game to go ahead. If it had been England, NZ, Aus facing a similar situation they all would have pleaded their case just as much as the SRU, if not more.

In the end the game going ahead allowed Japan to comfortably top the group and avoid NZ (I might be incorrect but a draw without the BP wouldnt have been enough for them?) so quite cathartic for a nation in mourning. Scotland always there to cheer people up by getting beat!

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

25 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Japan missed a penalty at 7-7, the ball stayed in and we  messed up the clearance. A couple of minutes later they scored their second converted try. If they had scored that pen who knows... 3 points instead of 7 and their momentum might not have been as insane as it was

So they did, left it short.

18 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Told you so. :whistling: 

Unbelievable levels of arrogance and ignorance. 

Not quite sure what's arrogant or ignorant about my post, just stated that rugby is a piss poor sport compared to football.

6 hours ago, superjack said:

Not quite sure what's arrogant or ignorant about my post, just stated that rugby is a piss poor sport compared to football.

Not yours! Others on the thread. There's a couple of people on that thread who were so off the charts arrogant, they thought anyone suggesting Japan had a chance v Scotland were crazy. Since when they've been sent homeward... to think again.

10 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Utter rubbish. 

The game went ahead because Scotland went after them. I'm certain game would have been cancelled 2/3 days ago otherwise. 

Is it only deaths from the weather where you should cancel the rest of life? Plenty other deaths in Japan over the weekend. 

Would you cancel the whole World Cup? When would it be suitable to start playing? After all the funerals? Never? 

Anyway the Japanese said they were inspired by the suffering to do well. 

56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Utter rubbish. 

The game went ahead because Scotland went after them. I'm certain game would have been cancelled 2/3 days ago otherwise. 

You didn't read the article did you? Here it is again. But what would he know? He's only out there covering the tournament, unlike you.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/oct/13/japan-typhoon-rugby-world-cup

The SRU should apologise for their pathetic behaviour. As should anyone who suggested Japan would've been happy to go through in such circumstances.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Utter rubbish. 

Is it only deaths from the weather where you should cancel the rest of life? Plenty other deaths in Japan over the weekend. 

Would you cancel the whole World Cup? When would it be suitable to start playing? After all the funerals? Never? 

Anyway the Japanese said they were inspired by the suffering to do well. 

As a poster I usually rate your content, even if I don’t always agree but think you are well wide of the mark here.  I never said don’t cancel the game but until you know what the extent of the loss of life is going to be or the potential damage don’t start shouting about legal action.  

SRU chiefs have badly misjudged the situation and for a country like Scotland who are universally liked have damaged their reputation.  

Brighton Jambo
18 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

SRU CEO Mark Dodson who kicked up the fuss, is English.

;)

SRU now facing disciplinary action from World Rugby for their actions.  Come home agent Dodson, your mission is complete! 

21 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

SRU CEO Mark Dodson who kicked up the fuss, is English.

;)

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

SRU now facing disciplinary action from World Rugby for their actions.  Come home agent Dodson, your mission is complete! 

:laugh: 

Bloody hell. First he doesn't offer Cotter a new contract, then he somehow turns Scotland - Scotland! - into the most hated team in the tournament. Some going. He really is an English double agent!

5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Bloody hell. First he doesn't offer Cotter a new contract, then he somehow turns Scotland - Scotland! - into the most hated team in the tournament. Some going. He really is an English double agent!

I thought the wink gave it away I was jesting......

Edited by DETTY29

On 13/10/2019 at 22:27, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Just getting into Rugby really, always been one of those "football only" types you know the ones who are so dismissive of Rugby.

However, watched a few games of this WC and have grown to enjoy it. I admire the players passion and like watching it. There's a few things that happen on the pitch that I cannot even begin to fathom the point of, and find it bizarre the amount of stoppages.

But I was gutted we went out earlier, really wanted to get behind someone and follow it.

France!

11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

C'mon Australia!

Seems the defence will be that Dodson has taken legal advice and not threatened legal action to the disrepute charge.

Forget his name but I'm sure the Italian legend who missed out on his last international mentioned in his press conference that if New Zealand had needed the 5 points, would the decision to not rearrange be different.  But he hasn't been cited with a disrepute charge, or the Italian RU.

It was one interview and player view I suppose against official comments by the SRU CEO and backed up as a formal statement on the SRU website and released to the press, so not quite sam levels.

On 16/10/2019 at 08:29, DETTY29 said:

Seems the defence will be that Dodson has taken legal advice and not threatened legal action to the disrepute charge.

Forget his name but I'm sure the Italian legend who missed out on his last international mentioned in his press conference that if New Zealand had needed the 5 points, would the decision to not rearrange be different.  But he hasn't been cited with a disrepute charge, or the Italian RU.

It was one interview and player view I suppose against official comments by the SRU CEO and backed up as a formal statement on the SRU website and released to the press, so not quite sam levels.

He deserves to have the book thrown at him. 'Collateral damage'... when the host nation was facing its worst typhoon since the 1950s which killed scores of people, and when said host nation worked total, absolute miracles to get the game on. A game it always wanted to play.

By contrast, Townsend's reaction to the possibility of Ireland's game being called off was hey ho, who cares, them's the breaks, rules is rules. No wonder Dodson appointed him; a right chip off the old block. Pathetic stuff all round.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Why in the world were Australia trying to run out of their own 22?

3-0 to the Wallabies with England possession gifted.

letsalldothebeattie
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Why in the world were Australia trying to run out of their own 22?

3-0 to the Wallabies with England possession gifted.

They’ve said they aren’t a kicking side so that’s why they ran it and probably will continue to do so today

2 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

They’ve said they aren’t a kicking side so that’s why they ran it and probably will continue to do so today

Well, it's led pretty directly to one try and now they've conceded another! 12-3 with conversion coming

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Well, it's led pretty directly to one try and now they've conceded another! 12-3 with conversion coming

Exactly. Teams have to have a fine balance between running and kicking in a game and so far Australia are costing themselves a semi final spot by the lack of the latter 

The Mighty Thor
24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Oz are shite really.    England are hoovering them.    

The decision making of the Aussies has been abysmal 

letsalldothebeattie

That’s the game. Unless Aussies can rattle in a couple of quick tries(unlikely) can’t see England throwing this away

The Mighty Thor

They need to look at the rules again. Farrell took about 2 minutes with that penalty. It should be time off as some of them rip the arse out of it. 

letsalldothebeattie

That has just summed up the Aussies today right on the England try line and manage to lose ball and then knock on at about halfway. They don’t have any real cutting edge 

How minimum effort are you when, down 14, you allow a maul into your 22 and then collapse it.

Oz didn't gaf today and have allowed a mediocre England to progress as a result

The press in the build up to this game seem to have forgotten that Australia just aren’t very good just now. They haven’t really impressed in this World Cup apart from in bursts. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Australia have been poor for a few years now. Their run to the final 4 years ago papered over the cracks and they were helped by a poor England in the pools, a dodgy decision to get past us, and an easier semi opponent in the Argies

our demolition of them 2 years ago (even factoring in the red) showed how much they’ve fallen.

a better team (like NZ) would have taken their chances today, and not just taken the 3 points a few times when they had good position and momentum 

Australia were incredibly naive.    England beat a side on the same level as Scotland or Argentina.     

Pre-emptive GTF for prominent England fan.    

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Australia have been laughably bad. They should stick to Aussie Rules.

The problem they have is that union isn’t that big a deal with most of it stuck to NSW. League is the main thing with Victoria only really caring about rules. 

Brighton Jambo

Australian tactics undoubtably played into England’s hands today but let’s not forget this is the same Australia who hammered the all blacks a couple of months ago.  On their day they can beat anyone.

England were disciplined, clinical and professional.  It was an excellent performance.  Yes Australia weren’t great but to put 40 points on them is a still impressive.

not that I expect anyone on here to agree!! 

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Australia were incredibly naive.    England beat a side on the same level as Scotland or Argentina.     

Pre-emptive GTF for prominent England fan.    

With respect neither Argentina or Scotland could hammer the All Blacks by putting nearly 50 points past them as Australian did in August.

Maroon Sailor
On 12/10/2019 at 20:35, Maroon Sailor said:

Can see England horsing the Aussies

Unlike Shaun who continually looks to past meetings when it comes to Football or Rugby most people thought what I said last week.

Just because matches have been close in the past does not mean they will be close in the present.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

With respect neither Argentina or Scotland could hammer the All Blacks by putting nearly 50 points past them as Australian did in August.

Today,   they were on the same level.    Naive,  sloppy,  disjointed.     

9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yes Australia were good in that game. Admittedly against a 14 man All Blacks for a lot of the match.