• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Don't rise to it. Shaun thinks he knows a lot about many things...this thread has shown up that rugby isn't one of them.

Ftfy.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Tempted as I am I won’t rise to the very tempting urge to tell Lawson he’s an arse. 

However talking of arses I’m amazed at some people in the press and on television being interviewed and not quite understanding what a typhoon is. It’s not a bit of wind and rain, it’s the worst storm you’ve ever seen in Scotland and then doubled or worse. Personally I can’t even imagine what sustained winds of 140mph with gust up to 190mph is like to be involved in. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Tempted as I am I won’t rise to the very tempting urge to tell Lawson he’s an arse. 

However talking of arses I’m amazed at some people in the press and on television being interviewed and not quite understanding what a typhoon is. It’s not a bit of wind and rain, it’s the worst storm you’ve ever seen in Scotland and then doubled or worse. Personally I can’t even imagine what sustained winds of 140mph with gust up to 190mph is like to be involved in. 

Another way of looking at it for the hard of thinking:

IT'S A HURRICANE YOU WITTERING SIMPLETONS

Edited by trotter

dobmisterdobster

The matches have been cancelled for safety reasons.

They don't have time to reschedule them.

It's not World Rugby's fault nor is it a conspiracy.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Shut yer pus.     It's the devious detail of the organisers' rules + nebulous contingencies that I take issue with.    If Scotland suffered via a weather cancellation that was clearly enshrined within the rules and contingency powers then I would simply accept it.     Not the case here.    It's crystal clear that the flexible nature of these 'rules' is there to avoid the wrath of the big fish.     **** anyone else.

Oh aye... yes I do recognise that Italy have also been mugged off.

Away and lick yer Will Carling calendar.

It's no use getting all het up about it, Victorian. Just relax, try to put it to the back of your mind, and have yourself a nice cup of tea.

typhoo80s__02139.1427214511.400.400.jpg?

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's no use getting all het up about it, Victorian. Just relax, try to put it to the back of your mind, and have yourself a nice cup of tea.

typhoo80s__02139.1427214511.400.400.jpg?

As an aside,    Great British Tea + Union Flag.    :vrface:

The mind boggles.

33 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

They should make time. The countries have been preparing for four years, or more, for this competition. If you can't see the issue in cancelling games in a world finals competition of any sport, where these cancellations may have an effect on the final outcome, then you really don't get sport at all.

Just now, redjambo said:

They should make time. The countries have been preparing for four years, or more, for this competition. If you can't see the issue in cancelling games in a world finals competition of any sport, where these cancellations may have an effect on the final outcome, then you really don't get sport at all.

also world rugby should have scheduled the tournament outside of the typhoon season to remove (or drastically reduce) the chances of this happening

Just now, milky_26 said:

also world rugby should have scheduled the tournament outside of the typhoon season to remove (or drastically reduce) the chances of this happening

Indeed. Any time you see strange decisions being made like this, the rule of thumb is "Follow the money". Scheduling the competition for October was probably made to maximise revenue. That's the only thing that can explain the organisers' idiocy.

3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

:rofl:

Here's an idea. How about: don't get thrashed to within an inch of your lives by a not that good Ireland team, and then your destiny's in your own hands? 

The whole point of sport is that it's supposed to be decided on the pitch.

One or t'other.

On 06/10/2019 at 11:21, shaun.lawson said:

Meh. In the very unlikely event of it threatening a game, they'll move it. Not cancel it.

scbu.gif

Maroon Sailor

The biggest tournament in rugby union, held once every 4 years and matches get cancelled.

What a joke 

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the same ireland who are number 1 in the world

Don't  worry when it comes to knockout  and we want England to get beaten, Shaun will be claiming Scotland are the only country in the world that wants a border neighbour to get stuffed.

3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Sigh! No contingency? Do you think it would be reconsidered if it was SA or NZ needing points? It's a farce and ridiculous. Scotland would or will beat Japan but if they don't it will be the typhoon or certainly "poor" decisions! 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Personally I can’t even imagine what sustained winds of 140mph with gust up to 190mph is like to be involved in. 

We call it a fine drying day in Shetland :lol:

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Don't  worry when it comes to knockout  and we want England to get beaten, Shaun will be claiming Scotland are the only country in the world that wants a border neighbour to get stuffed.

Nope. If it once again becomes apparent, Shaun will be reminding you of your never-ending obsession with England losing at anything. Which is all part of the same thing where the disaster area of Scottish sport is concerned.

5 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Sigh! No contingency? Do you think it would be reconsidered if it was SA or NZ needing points? It's a farce and ridiculous. Scotland would or will beat Japan but if they don't it will be the typhoon or certainly "poor" decisions! 

Arrogance. Japan's emergence over the last 4 years has been an incredible story, and they're at home in a do or die situation. Even if the game is played, it'll be a huge task for Scotland. 

Incidentally, the idea of Tier 1 teams being favoured is nothing new. At most recent World Cups, Tier 1 teams - which include Scotland - have always been given far, far more rest between games than everyone else. This is what did for Japan four years ago. Tier 1 teams always get the benefit of refereeing decisions too, to a quite ridiculous extent very often.

The question of "what if this was NZ or SA?" is interesting - but essentially moot, because NZ have never lost a pool match ever, and SA have lost three in seven tournaments. SA did, however, benefit from the biggest scandal in World Cup history. Their 1995 semi-final with France should never have been played. The conditions were like a ****ing swimming pool. Yet had it not been played, SA would've been eliminated because of having a red card in the group stage... and there'd have been riots.

To cap it all off, they had a try wrongly allowed... and France were impossibly unlucky at the death. This, combined with New Zealand being poisoned in the days before the final, left a very sour taste in the mouth. The 1995 Springboks were, in my view at least, the only Rugby World Cup winners who palpably didn't deserve it (and to judge by the number of their players who've since died, were more than likely being chemically enhanced)  - but in fairness, there was a far far bigger picture too.

Edited by shaun.lawson

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’m amazed at some people in the press and on television being interviewed and not quite understanding what a typhoon is. It’s not a bit of wind and rain, it’s the worst storm you’ve ever seen in Scotland and then doubled or worse. Personally I can’t even imagine what sustained winds of 140mph with gust up to 190mph is like to be involved in. 

I've experienced 120-140 here. It's, um, not fun (trees down everywhere, roads and ground floor buildings flooded, windows and walls sounding like they're shaking, bricks falling off some buildings)... and you're quite right of course. 

11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

The whole point of sport is that it's supposed to be decided on the pitch.

Someone above thinks Scotland would've beaten South Africa, which is almost as unlikely.

SA are the Southern Hemisphere team Scotland can beat. We were unlucky less than a year ago. So bring it on, I say. Hopefully!

Brighton Jambo
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Any time you see strange decisions being made like this, the rule of thumb is "Follow the money". Scheduling the competition for October was probably made to maximise revenue. That's the only thing that can explain the organisers' idiocy.

The Rugby World Cup is always held in these months.  It’s not like they moved it this time.  I believe the timing was originally to fit in with the overall international calendar.  

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Nope. If it once again becomes apparent, Shaun will be reminding you of your never-ending obsession with England losing at anything. Which is all part of the same thing where the disaster area of Scottish sport is concerned.

Arrogance. Japan's emergence over the last 4 years has been an incredible story, and they're at home in a do or die situation. Even if the game is played, it'll be a huge task for Scotland. 

Incidentally, the idea of Tier 1 teams being favoured is nothing new. At most recent World Cups, Tier 1 teams - which include Scotland - have always been given far, far more rest between games than everyone else. This is what did for Japan four years ago. Tier 1 teams always get the benefit of refereeing decisions too, to a quite ridiculous extent very often.

The question of "what if this was NZ or SA?" is interesting - but essentially moot, because NZ have never lost a pool match ever, and SA have lost three in seven tournaments. SA did, however, benefit from the biggest scandal in World Cup history. Their 1995 semi-final with France should never have been played. The conditions were like a ****ing swimming pool. Yet had it not been played, SA would've been eliminated because of having a red card in the group stage... and there'd have been riots.

To cap it all off, they had a try wrongly allowed... and France were impossibly unlucky at the death. This, combined with New Zealand being poisoned in the days before the final, left a very sour taste in the mouth. The 1995 Springboks were, in my view at least, the only Rugby World Cup winners who palpably didn't deserve it (and to judge by the number of their players who've since died, were more than likely being chemically enhanced)  - but in fairness, there was a far far bigger picture too.

Not arrogance. They have never beaten Scotland and what I've seen we are a better team. They beat Ireland probably due to Irish arrogance, it happens. I'm not saying it won't be a difficult game, I just think they suit us better rather than the over physical games. They were terrible against Samoa and won by a questionable penalty prior to the last try. 

Captain Sausage

An absolute travesty that Italy have been robbed of the opportunity to gain qualification to the knockout stages (albeit a 5 point win over NZ feels...unlikely!). 

We now have a situation where some teams have had 2+ weeks of downtime between their last league game and the quarter finals, handing them a massive advantage. 

The whole thing is a joke, whether the weather has helped or hindered your particular team. Evident that the ‘extensive contingency planning’ was simply - hope it doesn’t happen. 

Heads should roll and lessons be learned, but I very much doubt it’ll happen. 

As for our resident hindsight analyst, he’s shown himself up as usual to be arrogant, dismissive and wrong. I’d suggest we just ignore his ramblings until he scurries off to whatever other forum he inhabits. 

Captain Sausage
Just now, Barack said:

Feel sorry for Parisse. 

Totally agree. A rugby legend who doesn’t get the send off he deserved. 

Maroon Sailor

Nope. If it once again becomes apparent, Shaun will be reminding you of your never-ending obsession with England losing at anything.

Shaun every nation wants to see England lose at anything.

Most despised country in the world when it comes to sport.

You make a good case for that yourself

Brighton Jambo
46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Shaun every nation wants to see England lose at anything.

Most despised country in the world when it comes to sport.

You make a good case for that yourself

I think that’s fair and I’m English!!  

Doesnt bother me in the slightest that everyone hates us, it makes winning that bit sweeter knowing that people really hate seeing it!  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

McInally dropped for the game against Japan, if it goes ahead. Brown is a very capable replacement, but surprised at that, unless there's an injury concern they've not reported.

Fraser Brown replaces Alan McInally. Greig Laidlaw is captain. 

Sean Maitland injured so Tommy Seymour in. 

The 2 changes from Samoa. Only Darcy Graham started v Russia. 

Edited by Mikey1874

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

SRU have taken legal advice over possible cancellation.    

"we're not going to let Scotland be the collateral damage for a decision that was made in haste" 

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I doubt anyone's arguing with the reasons for the cancellations but it does show up World Rugby's ineptitude. Contrary to what someone said earlier, the tournament dates have been flexible in the past; it would have been possible to arrange a Japan tournament avoiding the worst of the typhoon season. Or, at least, have some contingencies in place that allowed for matches to be postponed rather than cancelled. 

31 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

McInally dropped for the game against Japan, if it goes ahead. Brown is a very capable replacement, but surprised at that, unless there's an injury concern they've not reported.

That's a surprise - the tour captain would be expected to start. He finished off the Russia game without showing any sign of injury. He's on the bench so there must be something tactical about starting with Brown. I don't get it, though; McInally is an excellent player. 

15 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I doubt anyone's arguing with the reasons for the cancellations but it does show up World Rugby's ineptitude. Contrary to what someone said earlier, the tournament dates have been flexible in the past; it would have been possible to arrange a Japan tournament avoiding the worst of the typhoon season. Or, at least, have some contingencies in place that allowed for matches to be postponed rather than cancelled. 

That's a surprise - the tour captain would be expected to start. He finished off the Russia game without showing any sign of injury. He's on the bench so there must be something tactical about starting with Brown. I don't get it, though; McInally is an excellent player. 

McInally better around the loose but Brown bit more physical.

Townsend maybe expects close game up to 55-60 mins then open up towards end.

11 hours ago, Boof said:

We call it a fine drying day in Shetland :lol:

Best answer i have heard in a long time.

Well done :rofl:

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

SRU have taken legal advice over possible cancellation.    

I'm not sure we should go down that route. 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think that’s fair and I’m English!!  

Doesnt bother me in the slightest that everyone hates us, it makes winning that bit sweeter knowing that people really hate seeing it!  

That is a bit extreme. For me seeing England losing at Rugby and Football is more to do with the auld enemy rivalry. I was right behind the England cricket team in both the world cup and the ashes. In any individual sport I will support all athletes from the home nations unless they are competing against a Scot.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

That is a bit extreme. For me seeing England losing at Rugby and Football is more to do with the auld enemy rivalry. I was right behind the England cricket team in both the world cup and the ashes. In any individual sport I will support all athletes from the home nations unless they are competing against a Scot.

I agree it's only football and rugby I want to see ABE! They're just so ****ing arrogant in those two sports. 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I agree it's only football and rugby I want to see ABE! They're just so ****ing arrogant in those two sports. 

In a nutshell.

6 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The Rugby World Cup is always held in these months.  It’s not like they moved it this time.  I believe the timing was originally to fit in with the overall international calendar. 

Knowing that it was typhoon season in Japan, they should have moved things around then or introduced contingency plans that would ensure that all games were played, even if they had to move some of them to a different country. FIFA seemed to have coped with changing the usual World Cup finals dates. All it takes is common sense, flexibility and determination.

The intransigence however is more in World Rugby treating countries like Italy as second-class citizens - I can guarantee that they wouldn't have made the same decision if one of the top guns (of which Scotland is not) would have gone out in a similar fashion.

Sometimes I do believe that the film Idiocracy was prescient.

Couldn't give a flying on how well England do at volleyall, netball, hockey, chess or whatever.

England football and rugby teams to get beaten every time though.

As for the cricket team, as they go on a day by day basis from the greatest cricket team ever surpassing* the dominating Windies and Auusie teams of my lifetime, to the worst, they can do one too.

* I know they don't.

18 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

World chamionsip athletics in Doha. World cup in Qatar. Rugby world cup in Japanese typhoon season. Sport is all about money. Stiff the athletes/players and particularly the fans.

We don't often agree, FA, but you are utterly spot on.

Seems pretty much that per the rules the WRC don't need contingency plans for pool games.

Scotland although talking positively re legal advice are really praying on common sense, integrity of sport prevailing.

Weather forecast improving slightly.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We don't often agree, FA, but you are utterly spot on.

IAAF President, Lord Coe, a Tory, taking the ching, ching view.

Bit unfair as no doubt whoever was in charge would have too.

Feel a bit dirty prefering Coe to Evett back in the day.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

IAAF President, Lord Coe, a Tory, taking the ching, ching view.

Bit unfair as no doubt whoever was in charge would have too.

Feel a bit dirty prefering Coe to Evett back in the day.

So you should be. :) I was Evett all the way - never liked Coe as an athlete. In saying that, I thought he did a good job with the London Olympics and, until lately , thought he was doing a reasonable job with the IAAF.

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Seems pretty much that per the rules the WRC don't need contingency plans for pool games.

Scotland although talking positively re legal advice are really praying on common sense, integrity of sport prevailing.

Weather forecast improving slightly.

I don't think we have a leg to stand on regarding a legal case.

What it really needs is for all the major unions involved to unite and say "Look, this isn't on, even though it may not be affecting us, or even affecting some of us positively, it's not fair to some of the teams who have spent years preparing for this. Sort yourselves World Rugby and get those games played". Fat chance of that happening though. Solidarity between Rugby unions? Don't make me laugh. :D