ri Alban

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Can anyone recall the last time a squint feed was penalised in international rugby?

Prior to 5 minutes ago, obviously...

30 years ago all the time

Occasionally 

Edited by Mikey1874

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Anyway, Scotland just have to hammer Japan. 

The Authorities won't let that happen. Scotland should kick up feck.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Changes nothing. Beat Russia by 5. Beat Japan by more than 7.

We will.👍🏻

Japan will beat us.

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Can anyone recall the last time a squint feed was penalised in international rugby?

Prior to 5 minutes ago, obviously...

The commentators last week were saying that they are pretty much allowed now as there is so much power in scrums it can be dangerous for the hooker to not be part of the shove if he actually has to put his feet forward to hook it. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Somoa played on for chance of losing bonus point to keep them in with chance of qualifying. 

Yes and then gave it away and gifted Japan their bonus point try.

The squint feed decision does certainly raise the concern of Japan being favoured. 

But it's in Scotland's hands. Should be good enough to beat Japan comfortably. 

No excuses.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

The squint feed decision does certainly raise the concern of Japan being favoured. 

But it's in Scotland's hands. Should be good enough to beat Japan comfortably. 

No excuses.

You think so? Japan looked ferocious at the break down especially at the end of the game and electric when they shift the ball wide.

I think today's ref was one Laidlaw was quite critical of recently in a six nations game.

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Cheers Samoa. Arseholes 😂

Not only a dirty team but a betting team by the look of that. 😡

13 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

You think so? Japan looked ferocious at the break down especially at the end of the game and electric when they shift the ball wide.

I think today's ref was one Laidlaw was quite critical of recently in a six nations game.

It was 60/40 today v Somoa 

Japan have their limitations 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

The commentators last week were saying that they are pretty much allowed now as there is so much power in scrums it can be dangerous for the hooker to not be part of the shove if he actually has to put his feet forward to hook it. 

The scrum long ago ceased to be a contest for the ball. It is now, at best, a contest to win a penalty or a free-kick. And a colossal waste of time. It’s one of many areas in which rugby makes itself look very stupid. Referees stand there and watch scrum-halves blatantly disregard one of the basic laws of the game.

shaun.lawson
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Even if it was favouring Japan at least it wasn’t as blatant as when the football World Cup was in Japan and South Korea. 

Quite. Or indeed, anything close to as blatant as Japan getting a four-day turnaround between the South Africa and Scotland games last time out.

5 hours ago, Barack said:

Changes nothing. Beat Russia by 5. Beat Japan by more than 7.

We will.👍🏻

Scotland will beat Russia by more than five. And Japan by exactly seven. You can put your house, car, kids and bollocks on that outcome.

7 minutes ago, leginten said:

Scotland will beat Russia by more than five. And Japan by exactly seven. You can put your house, car, kids and bollocks on that outcome.

If we beat Japan we're through. Head to head.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Yes if we score 4 tries.

Not if we don't and Japan get a losing bonus point.

shaun.lawson
26 minutes ago, leginten said:

The scrum long ago ceased to be a contest for the ball. It is now, at best, a contest to win a penalty or a free-kick. And a colossal waste of time. It’s one of many areas in which rugby makes itself look very stupid. Referees stand there and watch scrum-halves blatantly disregard one of the basic laws of the game.

Couldn't agree more. It's a farce. The endless delays while scrums are constantly reset, just as much. 

Watching older matches, there was none of this "crouch, bind, set" bollocks - in fact, refs did far, far less talking. Yet enormous blokes played rugby back then too. We're at the point now where it's become so ridiculous, scrums should probably be done away with. 

shaun.lawson
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes if we score 4 tries.

Not if we don't and Japan get a losing bonus point.

Scotland to score 3 tries, win by 7 points and either have a last minute try disallowed or concede a last minute try? :laugh: 

Edited by shaun.lawson

17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not quite.

If we win by less than 8 pts and fail to score 4 tries. Japan go through.

Plus we need a 4 try win over Russia.

The pointless defeat by Ireland was bad.

Malinga the Swinga

As long as Enland, Wales and Ireland don't end up winning the trophy, I can live with result. The three most arrogant nations in rugby with the most obnoxious supporters, including at least one who posts on here, deserve to leave with nothing.

New Zealand v South Africa in final with Australia rapidly improving as dark horse. Wouldn't mind France either.

29 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland to score 3 tries, win by 7 points and either have a last minute try disallowed or concede a last minute try? :laugh: 

It is looking like that.

Gives Scotland more motivation what happened today. 

Might actually help them. 

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

As long as Enland, Wales and Ireland don't end up winning the trophy, I can live with result. The three most arrogant nations in rugby with the most obnoxious supporters, including at least one who posts on here, deserve to leave with nothing.

New Zealand v South Africa in final with Australia rapidly improving as dark horse. Wouldn't mind France either.

Australia first 30 minutes of second half v Wales were outstanding. 

If they can put it together for whole game can't see anyone living with them. 

Could be against England in Quarter Final. 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Genuinely hilarious comment given

1. New Zealand and South Africa are both infinitely more arrogant than any of the home nations will ever be

2. Your posts, which ALWAYS demand the coach's head on a platter whenever Scotland lose at anything at all are the absolute definition of arrogant entitlement. And of practically never-ending hatred of others. I don't think you enjoy sport at all tbh.

Fortunately, most people on here aren't like that. Just you. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Australia first 30 minutes of second half v Wales were outstanding. 

If they can put it together for whole game can't see anyone living with them. 

Could be against England in Quarter Final. 

A 50-50 game if ever there was one. England, as per usual, have been all a bit Robocop so far. There's no real wit or invention about us.

We can't possibly win the tournament because the knockout stage draw is frankly impossible. If we make the semis, we'll have done well; with anything more than that a huge bonus. But this looks like being the first World Cup in which none of the quarter-finals are absolute certs: including, if it happens, Ireland-New Zealand, however much Ireland would be colossal underdogs. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Malinga the Swinga
34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

1. New Zealand and South Africa are both infinitely more arrogant than any of the home nations will ever be

2. Your posts, which ALWAYS demand the coach's head on a platter whenever Scotland lose at anything at all are the absolute definition of arrogant entitlement. And of practically never-ending hatred of others. I don't think you enjoy sport at all tbh.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

If Wales or Ireland win it, I'll be pig sick. Funnily enough(Now the likes of Will Carling are no more) I can live with England winning the WC.  Just be ready for some immediate rage in the aftermath. It will go away, tho.

shaun.lawson
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If Wales or Ireland win it, I'll be pig sick. Funnily enough(Now the likes of Will Carling are no more) I can live with England winning the WC.  Just be ready for some immediate rage in the aftermath. It will go away, tho.

1. Carling's a legend. Especially his incredible bum chin.

2. What does you being 'pig sick' actually mean? It won't happen - I can't see a northern hemisphere side winning it - but if Ireland or Wales did, would you throw up? Stay indoors with the curtains closed for a fortnight? Be bedridden with despair? Or, y'know, forget about it and get on with your life? 😉 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Heard a bit of the All Blacks match today and looking ahead the English commentator had New Zealand playing Ireland in the quarters with Japan winning the group and England in the final. 

Why bother with any more games as they have it all sorted. 

They forgot about the feckin typhoon that could feck the Ireland v Samoa match. 

Everyone looks ahead. It's normal. The only countries which don't are small underdog ones - like the country I live in. Obviously, if the commentator really did have England in the final already, that's laughable. It's touch and go whether we make the semis; and if we got there, it'd take the performance of our lives to make the final. In fact, it'd take a better performance than we've ever produced at any RWC. 

Mind you: in 2011, I started shouting with rage at my radio when, after Tonga beat France, John Inverdale declared that England "had a bye to the semis". Absolute ****ing bellend. What happened next was completely inevitable. And now France have played dreadfully against Tonga again... and next up for them, it's England... but the chances are, France will wisely play a second XV. Which is what I'd do if I were Eddie Jones, to be fair.

Incidentally, the concerns over the typhoon were last week before Ireland-Russia. Not now. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

6 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

2. What does you being 'pig sick' actually mean? It won't happen - I can't see a northern hemisphere side winning it - but if Ireland or Wales did, would you throw up? Stay indoors with the curtains closed for a fortnight? Be bedridden with despair? Or, y'know, forget about it and get on with your life? 😉 

Everyone looks ahead. It's normal. The only countries which don't are small underdog ones - like the country I live in. Obviously, if the commentator really did have England in the final already, that's laughable. It's touch and go whether we make the semis; and if we got there, it'd take the performance of our lives to make the final. In fact, it'd take a better performance than we've ever produced at any RWC. 

Mind you: in 2011, I started shouting with rage at my radio when, after Tonga beat France, John Inverdale declared that England "had a bye to the semis". Absolute ****ing bellend. What happened next was completely inevitable. And now France have played dreadfully against Tonga again... and next up for them, it's England... but the chances are, France will wisely play a second XV. Which is what I'd do if I were Eddie Jones, to be fair.

Incidentally, the concerns over the typhoon were last week before Ireland-Russia. Not now. 

It means if they win, Scotland could. Which makes me I'll.

Carling's a dickhead if the highest order. 

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Incidentally, there's another one brewing. Typhoon 19. They were discussing the implications this morning on Radio 5 live. I know what I heard. I'm not an idiot.

Meh. In the very unlikely event of it threatening a game, they'll move it. Not cancel it.

38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Incidentally, there's another one brewing. Typhoon 19. They were discussing the implications this morning on Radio 5 live. I know what I heard. I'm not an idiot.

♥️

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, leginten said:

Agreed. Do away with them now. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Agreed. Do away with them now. 

Rugby league style. 👍 A Superior form of the game, in all aspects.

jack D and coke
Just now, ri Alban said:

I still prefer Union tbh but some aspects of the game have been tinkered with too much. The scrum would be as well being like that nonsense in the League version tho. It’s just a pointless waste of time and energy now just do away with it. 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I still prefer Union tbh but some aspects of the game have been tinkered with too much. The scrum would be as well being like that nonsense in the League version tho. It’s just a pointless waste of time and energy now just do away with it. 

Nonsense? How very dare you! :yadayada:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:laugh: no it isnae. A game played by a few teams in Lancashire and Yorkshire. Uncontested scrums, 6 tackles and it’s a turnover = utter shite. 

Rugby Union pisses all over Rugby League. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:laugh: no it isnae. A game played by a few teams in Lancashire and Yorkshire. Uncontested scrums, 6 tackles and it’s a turnover = utter shite. 

Aye, cause the Brisbane Broncos are fae the North of England. Real professional athletes who can run thro Union gimps.

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, cause the Brisbane Broncos are fae the North of England. Real professional athletes who can run thro Union gimps.

Aye, they probs started with a bunch of Yorkshire lads. :rofl:Rugby Union’s the real deal. Back in the day if you were a Rugby Union player that took money to play Rugby League you were ostracised. At the last RL WC they had a Scottish team without one Scottish player in it, shows how great Rugby League is. 

Oh, I wonder which Yorkshire v Lancashire  town will be in the Challenge Cup Final this year. 🤔😴😴😴

It’s like NFL, the world super bowl and there’s like 8 teams in it.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Aye, they probs started with a bunch of Yorkshire lads. :rofl:Rugby Union’s the real deal. Back in the day if you were a Rugby Union player that took money to play Rugby League you were ostracised. At the last RL WC they had a Scottish team without one Scottish player in it, shows how great Rugby League is. 

Oh, I wonder which Yorkshire v Lancashire  town will be in the Challenge Cup Final this year. 🤔😴😴😴

It’s like NFL, the world super bowl and there’s like 8 teams in it.

:rofl:NZ?  Islander select, Mair like.

Never taken to Rugby League. It's honestly bizarre to me. And I enjoy watching various codes of football from Canadian to Australian Rules. But Rugby League just absolutely does not do it for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Justin Z

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It does, despite its inadequacies. League has never been a spectacle I found entertaining. 

The one area in which I think it beats Union hands down is in the officiating.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:NZ?  Islander select, Mair like.

Only England, NZ, Australia and South Africa play Rugby League, they had Welsh, Irish and Scottish teams full of those Countries B team players just to make up the number of teams, it was embarrassing.

56 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Never taken to Rugby League. It's honestly bizarre to me. And I enjoy watching various codes of football from Canadian to Australian Rules. But Rugby League just absolutely does not do it for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 men, no line outs, uncontested scrums, 6 tackle turnovers. It’s Rugby with all the good bits taken out. 

Yes, it’s faster, there’s more space, wingers in Rugby League are like fast forwards but it’s no the same. 

47 minutes ago, leginten said:

It does, despite its inadequacies. League has never been a spectacle I found entertaining. 

The one area in which I think it beats Union hands down is in the officiating.

Agree, it’s officiating is probably better but then Rugby League is simplified which does make officiating easier. 

dobmisterdobster

The NRL Grand Final was on today for anyone interested in League.

Union will always be more popular in Scotland.

I P Knightley
22 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Credit to him for biffing Princess Diana, too. 

Other than the bum chin and getting his fingers wet with the princess of hearts, though, a complete and utter tosspot.

We have our first 4️⃣ confirmed quarter-finalists of #RWC2019! Who will join them? 🤔 #ITVRugby https://t.co/AqKwkD1dqy

Have I missed something?

ITV tweeting Japan, NZ, France, England already into quarters?

Edit - tweet deleted.  Error, know Scotland will eff it up or known fix in :)

Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

We have our first 4️⃣ confirmed quarter-finalists of #RWC2019! Who will join them? 🤔 #ITVRugby https://t.co/AqKwkD1dqy

Have I missed something?

ITV tweeting Japan, NZ, France, England already into quarters?

England, France have qualified though who wins Group not decided. No one else yet. 

For example Italy can knock New Zealand out. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

All change for Russia 

That team should be good enough to pick up a bonus point win.

A mixture of youth and guy's with a point to prove (Seymour, Barclay), to rediscover some form.