Sean Clare.

Whatever

10 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

This thread should just be closed. 

Folk say he's lazy - The management team have proof that the opposite is consistently true

He contributes nothing - he has a good record of goals and assists since joining especially as he's often played out of position

He bigged himself up when he signed - he actually didn't at all and is a very humble guy lacking in confidence. 

Of course he could do better but he undoubtedly can be managed better too. 

I know one thing for sure, booing him on and off the pitch won't help him one bit. 

In at least 2 away games this season, Clare has been called out by the radio commentators - James McFadden was one of them - for "sheer laziness" after allowing an opponent to run past him without even attempting to track him. Playing someone because of GPS stats is a nonsense. If you're not making the right runs, at the right time and tracking the runners then it's pointless.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Thomaso

• pettigrewsstylist

• Peebo

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yep, booing him is pointless.

However, if you can't give an opinion then you might as well shut Kickback down too.

Tragic eh. Parental failure mostly i suspect.

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

In at least 2 away games this season, Clare has been called out by the radio commentators - James McFadden was one of them - for "sheer laziness" after allowing an opponent to run past him without even attempting to track him. Playing someone because of GPS stats is a nonsense. If you're not making the right runs, at the right time and tracking the runners then it's pointless.

What about the last metre of effort as he glides past the guy with the ball and then sprints off in another stat enhancing  direction. Is there a stat for tackles avoided?

He is talented. He has decent physical atrributes, he is mentally weak for scottish football and HMFC. Time to move on.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I could be wrong but I think their point is that people lazily (funnily enough) think that Clare is lazy due to his style. They don’t think he tries hard because he doesn’t have veins popping out of his forehead like Morrison. What people perceive as effort and commitment and what they actually are can sometimes be different things.

It's quite sad, but I suppose predictable, that you had to explain it.

Edited by Spoleto
spelling error

Leveins Battalion

Sean Clare is not the 1st or last player who has had a slow start at Hearts,Stevie Fulton got some abuse his 1st season also,worth bearing in mind that some hearts fans called Uche lazy aswell so no everybody should be listened to.Hopefuy he comes good starting today.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

True Geoff. There’s ways to go about it though. It doesn’t have to be so cutting. 

Booing him for one isn’t acceptable, no one should target individual players in a maroon jersey. 

Clearly it’s had a negative effect. It’s maybe good to try the opposite, even if he’s not playing great. It might give him a bit of encouragement. 

I agree, the booing won’t help and needs to stop. He is shite though, I really can’t see him making it as a Hearts player.

13 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

This thread should just be closed. 

Folk say he's lazy - The management team have proof that the opposite is consistently true

He contributes nothing - he has a good record of goals and assists since joining especially as he's often played out of position

He bigged himself up when he signed - he actually didn't at all and is a very humble guy lacking in confidence. 

Of course he could do better but he undoubtedly can be managed better too. 

I know one thing for sure, booing him on and off the pitch won't help him one bit. 

The thread should be closed? We are discussing a Hearts player. Why should it be closed? 

Being played out of position? I often read that, but I’m unclear where his position is. He’s been awful in multiple positions. The few times he has done well don’t seem to have been in any specific role.

In terms of the bigging himself up, I think that comes from him citing Premiership interest and also discussing the Dele Alli comparison, while saying he didn’t want to discuss it. Not bigging himself up and nothing wrong with what he said, but it did contribute to the narrative around his signing being a massive coup.

Agree he can be managed better. Wheeling him out for press duties each week, for example, seemed pretty stupid. 

Totally agree on the booing part. Utterly moronic. While I’ve often given a short, sharp appraisal of a Hearts players performance during a game (eg “**** off Clare - or whoever -, you’ve been shite today”), I have never booed any Hearts player. I don’t understand the thinking by those who do. It’s idiotic, counter-productive and cringeworthy. 

Edited by Peebo

On 26/09/2019 at 19:50, GorgieFifeLife said:

You his lovechild?  I dont care what he has posted, you cut about here thinking you know it all but I can tell for certain you know nothing about football. Notts decided to make an assumption about me based on a post where I gave my opinion. If he cant take a different opinion without resorting to that crap that's his look out. 

Says the boy who was calling people morons 🤣. Lets face facts, you have said nothing positive about the club in any of your posts. My assumption is correct.

Sean clare has been played when his form and confidence has dipped because there were no other options due to injuries and all...it’s unfair on him that he has played in different positions surrounded by different people...persevere with him after a wee break out of the first team and as the team starts getting results bring him on when we are in a comfortable position.

he is far from the worst player I have seen and for someone who has played 30+ games for the team we all love we could at least show some support 

23 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Sean clare has been played when his form and confidence has dipped because there were no other options due to injuries and all...it’s unfair on him that he has played in different positions surrounded by different people...persevere with him after a wee break out of the first team and as the team starts getting results bring him on when we are in a comfortable position.

he is far from the worst player I have seen and for someone who has played 30+ games for the team we all love we could at least show some support 

When we talk about him being played because there are no other options, it’s worth noting that he has regularly been chosen ahead of the likes of Bozanic, Lee, Cochrane, McDonald and even Damour in one recent game.

Also worth remembering that we “burst the budget” for him (according to Levein), so it’s hard to imagine he was ever intended to still be just a back- up player a year on from joining the club. 

As said above, it’s not his fault he gets picked. It’s not his fault he’s been consistently shite, either. It’s entirely fair to discuss both points, though. 

15 hours ago, farin said:

Well according to Austin at last nights shareholders meeting he said of Clare

“He’s an enigma because the GPS units all the players wear show us that he runs further and runs the fastest for the longest every game yet gets called lazy and that’s where we need to alter the way he plays, when the ball is lost you need to get back after it, track your men etc.”

i think we we can discount the lazy tag going by his stats tbh. There’s no argument he needs to work on certain aspects of his game etc, & that he has to adjust to how we want him to play in games up here which are probably very different from how he’s used to playing at his past club tbh. 

Personally i think the guy plays on confidence & when it’s low it really shows in his play. I actually felt sorry for him when the boos started, the guy must have been affected by that too. 

So the computer says NO.

A computer does not take into account what he does on the pitch which is next to nothing.

19 minutes ago, farin said:

The computer confirms he’s not lazy, that’s 1 myth on here that’s been debunked. Everything else is a matter of opinion. 

I’ve personally never understand the “lazy” tag that people sometimes apply to certain types of players. Do they mean they think they aren’t trying? While I have many issues with Levein’s management, I don’t believe that he would pick any player who didn’t try their best.

It seems to me that people apply that label to people who seems to have more talent than their output on the pitch suggests. For me, that’s either bad coaching and management, or a lack of footballing intelligence. In the case of Clare, I suspect it’s both. 

Edited by Peebo

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

The thread should be closed? We are discussing a Hearts player. Why should it be closed? 

Being played out of position? I often read that, but I’m unclear where his position is. He’s been awful in multiple positions. The few times he has done well don’t seem to have been in any specific role.

In terms of the bigging himself up, I think that comes from him citing Premiership interest and also discussing the Dele Alli comparison, while saying he didn’t want to discuss it. Not bigging himself up and nothing wrong with what he said, but it did contribute to the narrative around his signing being a massive coup.

Agree he can be managed better. Wheeling him out for press duties each week, for example, seemed pretty stupid. 

Totally agree on the booing part. Utterly moronic. While I’ve often given a short, sharp appraisal of a Hearts players performance during a game (eg “**** off Clare - or whoever -, you’ve been shite today”), I have never booed any Hearts player. I don’t understand the thinking by those who do. It’s idiotic, counter-productive and cringeworthy. 

The thread took an interesting twist when Levein's own assistant said he still needed reminded to track back even now. In the same statement he describes him as an enigma - lots of running yet still gets the lazy tag. Yet he answers it himself in his tracking back reference. By definition, the enigma code has been broken.

Edited by Riccarton3

2 minutes ago, farin said:

Clare’s style of play can maybe give this impression, that & an apparent lack of aggression can send out the wrong signal. I don’t think levein knows clare’s Best position either tbh, while he’s in a hearts jersey I want him to make it but I have my doubts about him long term. Sometimes players just don’t hit it off for a variety of reasons, maybe Clare is one of these players. 

For me, an apparent lack of aggression is one of Clare’s biggest flaws. Perhaps that’s what people frame as “lazy”. 

4 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

The thread took an interesting twist when Levein's own assistant said he still needed reminded to track back even now. In the same statement he describes him as an enigma - lots of running yet still gets the lazy tag. Yet he answers it himself in his tracking back reference. By definition, the enigma code has been broken.

Yes, again the “lazy” tag is one I struggle with. If he runs more than anyone else, he clearly isn’t physically lazy. He is one of our most ineffective players and one of the least influential though, so it’s what he’s actually contributing with all that running that is the thing that needs to be fixed. 

4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Yes, again the “lazy” tag is one I struggle with. If he runs more than anyone else, he clearly isn’t physically lazy. He is one of our most ineffective players and one of the least influential though, so it’s what he’s actually contributing with all that running that is the thing that needs to be fixed. 

It's no longer an enigma when you've identified the cause - straight from the assistant manager's office.

How do people want to dress it up if you don't track back to the best of your ability? If you have the ability to track back, you could argue it is being physically lazy.

any amount of whataboutery doesn't work.

Edited by Riccarton3

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

Ineffective. That’s the key word when it comes to Clare. The GPS might show how much he runs and how fast he runs but it doesn’t show how effective all that movement has been. Anyone with eyes can see the end result is very poor. Drop him, play him in the reserves where the pressure is off for a bit but preserving in the first clearly ain’t working. 

24 minutes ago, farin said:

Prob more to do with him not tracking runs giving the impression that he’s lazy even though his stats show overall he runs further than most players during games oddly enough. 

Running away from the ball.....

pettigrewsstylist
52 minutes ago, parker said:

Yeah it's unfathomable why Clare, Uche, Isma, Djoum, Adao, Dauda, Oshaniwa, Prince, Gomis, etc. were all called lazy. 

:confused:

So was Sutton! ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I feel sorry for Sean, I wouldn't wish any player to be booed coming onto the pitch. The bottom line is though that he's been a major disappointment since he signed, and fans are becoming increasingly frustrated about it. 

There is a player in him but his desire workrate is appalling 

A good player can play anywhere on a pitch but when you don’t give 100% it’s not going to happen

He is very lazy 

4 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

There is a player in him but his desire workrate is appalling 

A good player can play anywhere on a pitch but when you don’t give 100% it’s not going to happen

He is very lazy 

He`s not lazy,  his running stats etc prove that. 

pettigrewsstylist

Suspect "lack of commitment" is better descriptor than lazy. 

Its really not that hard if youve watched football for a few yrs. Word games change nothing IMO.

GorgieFifeLife
2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Says the boy who was calling people morons 🤣. Lets face facts, you have said nothing positive about the club in any of your posts. My assumption is correct.

Your assumption is wrong.  There has been zero to be positive about lately.  Until we see a run of results and a vast improvement in the style of play that will remain the case.  I will not be a jammie wearing Levein fanboy happy to ride the mediocrity train. For the record I wasnt the one who started the moron chat, I turned it back on said person.  My assumption on you is you are a sad little man who would be too terrified to say in person what you post in here. Crawl back under your rock now.

26 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Your assumption is wrong.  There has been zero to be positive about lately.  Until we see a run of results and a vast improvement in the style of play that will remain the case.  I will not be a jammie wearing Levein fanboy happy to ride the mediocrity train. For the record I wasnt the one who started the moron chat, I turned it back on said person.  My assumption on you is you are a sad little man who would be too terrified to say in person what you post in here. Crawl back under your rock now.

We have just beaten Hibs and are in the semi final of the League Cup yet you cant even see that as a positive. That tells me everything i need to know.

GorgieFifeLife
10 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

We have just beaten Hibs and are in the semi final of the League Cup yet you cant even see that as a positive. That tells me everything i need to know.

The results are positive absolutely.  However for 60 mins our play was terrible against Hibs and our 2nd half performance against Aberdeen was atrocious and totally devoid of creativity.  As we saw last year a cup run papers over a multitude of sins.  

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

The results are positive absolutely.  However for 60 mins our play was terrible against Hibs and our 2nd half performance against Aberdeen was atrocious and totally devoid of creativity.  As we saw last year a cup run papers over a multitude of sins.  

Yet we managed to create a goal against Aberdeen at the same time as being totally devoid of creativity

GorgieFifeLife
11 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Yet we managed to create a goal against Aberdeen at the same time as being totally devoid of creativity

First goal was defensive cock up by Don's and 2nd was pumped into box and fell nicely for Halkett.  Hardly splitting them open.

First goal was defensive cock up by Don's and 2nd was pumped into box and fell nicely for Halkett.  Hardly splitting them open.

Jesus wept you are unbelievable. It wasn't pumped into the box it was crossed into the box.

You said we were devoid of creativity but yet when i pointed out we created and scored a goal you shift the goalposts to suit your pathetic wee agenda.

GorgieFifeLife
20 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Jesus wept you are unbelievable. It wasn't pumped into the box it was crossed into the box.

You said we were devoid of creativity but yet when i pointed out we created and scored a goal you shift the goalposts to suit your pathetic wee agenda.

Your rambling now. Punting it into the box is not creative play. What agenda? You seem an angry little man.

19 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Your rambling now. Punting it into the box is not creative play. What agenda? You seem an angry little man.

It was a cross not a punt. We created a goal that has resulted in another semi final.

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

It was a cross not a punt. We created a goal that has resulted in another semi final.

We are still crap but at least we have a decent crowd here today, you here I assume?

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

We are still crap but at least we have a decent crowd here today, you here I assume?

No i'm at work. Problem with that?

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

Thought not. 

What point are you trying to make here? I suspect you aren't at the game either since you have been logged into the match thread since the game started. 

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

What point are you trying to make here? I suspect you aren't at the game either since you have been logged into the match thread since the game started. 

😄 Always keep logged in.

9 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Stalker type patter TBF. 

14 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

😄 Always keep logged in.

Given your incredibly negative outlook on things, how do you manage to stay alive in Fife?

Do you wait for Hearts games to let out all your frustrations, and just ignore what you see through the week in Fife?

GorgieFifeLife
15 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Given your incredibly negative outlook on things, how do you manage to stay alive in Fife?

Do you wait for Hearts games to let out all your frustrations, and just ignore what you see through the week in Fife?

Thanks but dont worry I stay in a lovely part of Fife 😄

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No way can you be concentrating on the match. 

Smell bullshit in truth 

38 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Can Clare play Center back ?

Probably the only position he hasn't been shunted to tbf. Might as well try it. 

10 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

The loveliest part of Fife must contain the nicest cardboard homes, the biggest and best Asda and Tesco, and a nice big ring road so you can get back to civilisation for everything else.

33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No way can you be concentrating on the match. 

Smell bullshit in truth 

His game was earlier on... plenty of time to concentrate on our game.

2 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

The 2nd was definitely not a pump into the box mate .

1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

There was some decent inter passing before the cross Mulraney placed.

Watch it again and tell me it's a punt.

Pump and punt into the box is a million miles away from what happened.

No?