Absolute Scenes

***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Jammy T
11 hours ago, Taffin said:

Out of curiosity were those stats referring to passes or attempted passes or both combined? 

I read it at the time but can't remember.

It's also worth pointing out that we were 3rd 'best' in a league with the most long passes in Europe so it's likely to say we could still be considered a long ball team in absolute terms.

So when we went long we were good at it? 3rd best in Europe.

Doesnt sound like much to complain about to me.

Taffin
24 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

No, sorry I've worded that poorly. I meant we did the 3rd least amount of long passes (or attempted passes, not sure as nobody answered my question) in a league that plays the most long passes in European top leagues.

I used inverted commas as it's subjective rather than indicating they were successful as I simply don't know what that article was referencing.

Phil Dunphy
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs just released 17 players, including Adam Bogdan, Darnell Johnson, Gael Bigirimana, Jonathan Spector, Marc McNulty, Mark Milligan, Marvin Bartley, Miquel Nelom, Ross Laidlaw, Ryan Gauld, Stephane Omeonga, Thomas Agyepong.

The ones in bold were all signed in the last season or two, some just in January, and they all fall into the duds category.

Bogdan, Johnson, McNulty, Gauld, Omeonga and Agyepong were all loan moves, were they not?

Sir Gio
32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, sorry I've worded that poorly. I meant we did the 3rd least amount of long passes (or attempted passes, not sure as nobody answered my question) in a league that plays the most long passes in European top leagues.

I used inverted commas as it's subjective rather than indicating they were successful as I simply don't know what that article was referencing.

I mention this quite a lot. We really only play 1 long ball in about 20. The prior 19 passes (short) are spent working our way to 30 yards out, to work 40 yards back to Berra, then another 20 yards back to Zlamal. Rinse and repeat. Until eventually we manage to get Mulraney free on the wing.

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of it.

busby1985
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I mention this quite a lot. We really only play 1 long ball in about 20. The prior 19 passes (short) are spent working our way to 30 yards out, to work 40 yards back to Berra, then another 20 yards back to Zlamal. Rinse and repeat. Until eventually we manage to get Mulraney free on the wing.

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of it.

That’s where most of my frustrations come from, from this team and set up. Pep talks at length about how much he hates passing for passing sake, side ways, backwards “safe” passes going nowhere. I’ve said it a million times but we play 352/3511 but play within it like it’s a 451. Most of the time we don’t press high so create no overloads and like you say spread the ball about at the back till eventually someone takes a bad touch or plays a bad pass and we go long in a panic cause we’ve brought pressure onto ourselves by going nowhere. The biggest mistake England made the other night was leaving Stones with no options, that’s what cause the mistake. We need better movement and fitter players. Hopefully we see some strategic recruitment this summer to ensure we can play the high press every game next season, I think it suits us the best. 

LeylandJambo
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of 

The last paragraph has to be one of the best descriptions I've read in a long time.

moonraker
17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

the-magic-roundabout-swindon-england-450w-1101684179.jpg1*ajDimtTEyxBHw-VsVJE9MQ.jpeg

Olly Lee's left boot

I'd agree, we have been too one dimensional this season. 

However, My point was that the long ball thing  is a myth created by Hibs, taken on by the media and championed as fact by some posters on here. 

We are no more a long ball team than anyone else. In fact we are one of the teams that play less "hoof ball". 

Tbh, having watched Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs that was quite clear and obvious. 

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

The stats were/ are relative to our league. That was implied if not stated. 

Sir Gio
22 minutes ago, moonraker said:

the-magic-roundabout-swindon-england-450w-1101684179.jpg1*ajDimtTEyxBHw-VsVJE9MQ.jpeg

That's the one  :)

Actually had the pleasure and it was anything but magic 

Sir Gio
23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

However, My point was that the long ball thing  is a myth created by Hibs, taken on by the media and championed as fact by some posters on here. 

We are no more a long ball team than anyone else. In fact we are one of the teams that play less "hoof ball". 

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

Ultimately you need the tools to do the job 

Bellion
51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

That is absolutely spot on. 

moonraker

I have only had one accident on it

JamboAl
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

You're breaking the law if you go over the top of a roundabout.

Hearts don't break the law with their 20th ball.

Joking apart, many top teams play this way and sometimes it is necessary to flush out overly defensive teams.  Even Man City play that way: it's just that they have more/ better options and once they do score the game is up for the opposition.

Olly Lee's left boot
47 minutes ago, moonraker said:

The designer was high and handed it in for a laugh. 

Not for one minute did she think it would get approved. 

Sir Gio
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You're breaking the law if you go over the top of a roundabout.

Hearts don't break the law with their 20th ball.

Joking apart, many top teams play this way and sometimes it is necessary to flush out overly defensive teams.  Even Man City play that way: it's just that they have more/ better options and once they do score the game is up for the opposition.

Yeah City have the tools to play that way. We don't,  so our product looks very different. 

Uche did allow us to get into the final third from time to time which then lent to the ridiculous assertion that is how we play and nothing else 

Taffin
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues, Finnish etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

FTFY

Edited by Taffin

BigAlim

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Just based on rumours would folk consider this a decent window? If this is the group we're looking at then I'd hope these are just replacements for guys like Godhino, Djoum and Vanecek and we'd still be looking at more quality like Liam Kelly or Boyce

Jodami

Yeah City have the tools to play that way. We don't,  so our product looks very different. 

Uche did allow us to get into the final third from time to time which then lent to the ridiculous assertion that is how we play and nothing else 

That's why it's so important we have someone playing closer to Ikpeazu. He's not a finisher and he's not the quickest at seeing and executing a pass but he does create space for others to exploit. Getting Naismith on the ball in these areas means he can open teams up but we need more than just Naismith. Smith looks capable but he needs coached on where he should be making the runs off Ikpeazu. We need players willing to take more risks in midfield and the final third of the pitch. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Just based on rumours would folk consider this a decent window? If this is the group we're looking at then I'd hope these are just replacements for guys like Godhino, Djoum and Vanecek and we'd still be looking at more quality like Liam Kelly or Boyce

haha Randalls no coming he'll end up at Newtongrange Star or something.

Jodami
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Naismith is obviously a great signing and Halkett looks the right age and pedigree. White is presumably here regardless. For different reasons, age and quality I wouldn't touch the rest. If Djoum goes try and replace him with quality and if you can't don't bother and try and develop what we have. Too many players are signed as the dreaded back up and we get little value. This summer should be about developing what we already have at the club and creating opportunities for our younger players. 

Edited by Jodami

Sir Gio
9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Missing a creative midfielder I think, but perhaps opportunity knocks for the talented youngsters

JamboAl
31 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Wouldn't take Randall as I don't think he is any better than Brandon or Godinho and would probably be looking for wages that could be better spent elsewhere.  Cadden I think is overrated and I certainly hope we don't splash out a  £400k development fee.

HMFC86
34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Missing a creative midfielder I think, but perhaps opportunity knocks for the talented youngsters

Jamie Walker ?

Leveins Battalion

Christian Doidge ?

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Christian Doidge ?

Just names getting chucked out or serious?

Not a terrible scoring record, but only really had one prolific season in League 2 (17/18) - same season Olly was at Luton in same league?

franko1874

Bubacarr Jobe 

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Just names getting chucked out or serious?

Not a terrible scoring record, but only really had one prolific season in League 2 (17/18) - same season Olly was at Luton in same league?

Are you doubting my ITK status???..........Like everyone else on here I haven't a clue who we are signing..

gov
13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Christian Doidge ?

A ‘number’ of Scottish Premiership clubs are reportedly interested in signing Forest Green striker Christian Doidge.

The attacker was due to join Bolton but financial difficulties meant the move fell through.

And now HITC are reporting that he’s wanted by unnamed Premiership clubs as well as teams in England’s League One.

No sides have been mentioned at all, but they report that Forest Green wouldn’t stand in his way.

No idea if we are in for him obvs but if a few clubs sniffing about we might be one.

checked his wiki and well you can see below 

2016– Forest Green Rovers 107 (59)
2018–2019  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 17 (1

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Christian Doidge ?

Have seen worse names thrown into the hat

Inch Hearts
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Couldn’t you tell?  So good we finished 6th :lol: 

Inch Hearts
3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I don’t pay money to watch any other sides though and couldn’t care how Aberdeen made Europe or Killie 3rd.

Fact of the matter is the team played with lack of ideas pass pass pass back to Berra to launch.  That’s not a fragment of my imagination, that’s what the last six months (at least) of the season entailed and it wasn’t even successful.  It was also anything but a myth, it was torture and predictable.

Olly Lee's left boot
16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I don’t pay money to watch any other sides though and couldn’t care how Aberdeen made Europe or Killie 3rd.

Fact of the matter is the team played with lack of ideas pass pass pass back to Berra to launch.  That’s not a fragment of my imagination, that’s what the last six months (at least) of the season entailed and it wasn’t even successful.  It was also anything but a myth, it was torture and predictable.

It is a myth, we don't play hoofball. 

We might not be good enough, creative enough etc but the hoof ball tag line is a complete pack of lies. 

Olly Lee's left boot
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

All have the potential to improve us apart from Randall. 

Would be a good window, but I'd like another midfield option if Djoum leaves and over Bozanic and maybe even Lee. 

Captain Sausage
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Taffin said:

Out of curiosity were those stats referring to passes or attempted passes or both combined? 

I read it at the time but can't remember.

It's also worth pointing out that we were 3rd 'best' in a league with the most long passes in Europe so it's likely to say we could still be considered a long ball team in absolute terms.

It was for passes attempted. 

I think it’s all relative when you consider Scottish football in the wider picture. Are we agricultural in comparison with an equivalent side in France? Definitely. 

But against directly comparable teams who play in our league, against the same opposition, we are not long ball merchants. 

That agricultural myth we seem to have attracted is what I’m looking to dispel. There is clear evidence that, in the context of other teams in the Scottish Premiership, it is a falsehood. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I just never gave way to anyone on it!!! He who hesitates cometh last!!!

Jambo92

It wouldn't be a popular decision by many on here but I would be trying to get Glenn Middleton on loan from Rangers for the season. Direct and creative player.

Mr Elwood P
26 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Is that anything like a damp squid?

Inch Hearts
19 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It is a myth, we don't play hoofball. 

We might not be good enough, creative enough etc but the hoof ball tag line is a complete pack of lies. 

So the second part of the season never consisted of passing around the defence, back to the goalie back to Souttar to Berra to erm hoof it forward? Usually down the line to try and win a foul or a Michael Smith special?

Is it tippy tappy hoofball or something then? 

Inch Hearts
18 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

It was for passes attempted. 

I think it’s all relative when you consider Scottish football in the wider picture. Are we agricultural in comparison with an equivalent side in France? Definitely. 

But against directly comparable teams who play in our league, against the same opposition, we are not long ball merchants. 

That agricultural myth we seem to have attracted is what I’m looking to dispel. There is clear evidence that, in the context of other teams in the Scottish Premiership, it is a falsehood. 

Wasnt it more to do with the other sides launch it forward faster than we do?  

It’s pass around then punt, still the same eye bleeding predictable outcome.  

GorgieFifeLife
On 05/06/2019 at 14:01, TheOak88 said:

Olly Lee considering leaving. Unhappy with the lack of first team football. 

It's been a while since we have had a close season where we have had so little player movement or potential incoming players as this one. Window has only just opened but we haven't started off quickly like Hibs or Aberdeen. This probably indicates there will be very few players coming in. Would like to see a few more of the squad players moved on though.

Bellion

The hoofball debate is the wrong one to be having. The number and % of short passes is basically irrelevant. 

As has already been correctly pointed out, lot of the time, we go pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-hoof. All those passes are knocking the ball around in our own half, defence to keeper to holding mid and back again. That is what we do a lot of the time. To be fair, I actually think it shows that the manager would like us to play football on the deck.

But quite to a lot of other teams in our league play counter-attacking stuff. Fewer passes involved, but just as focused & possibly more likely to create from open play. From what I saw last season, I’d say the likes of Killie & Hibs looked more of a threat more often. 

So who’s ultimately playing hoofball? The team that flail around in their own half for longer then give up and punt it, or the team that employ different tactics involving fewer short passes in their own half? 

The fundamental problem is that some people are assuming that long passes = hoofs, which is not true. Teams who play fewer short passes are not necessarily lobbing it down the channels and hoping (some are, it’s Scottish football). 

Whether you you want to label it hoofball or not, a lot of what we have been doing of late is pretty clueless. 

Olly Lee's left boot
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

FTFY

No Suprise at all tbh. 

I'm sure Belgium, Swiss, Danish, Sweden etc are below us as well in the long ball stakes. 

Still irrelevant to us being rated 8th in Our league. My point still stands, we are no more a long ball than our rivals, some of which are reported to have taught the Brazalians. ?

The debate on the quality of our football in general is another debate and a much wider one. 

Probably another thread. 

If you expect Hearts to buck the national trend my point regarding expectations stands. 

The survey was in the context of the Scottish league, not Europe. 

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure even theses types of leagues piss over us financial wise. 

Norway and Sweden were mentioned on here before iirc, thier TV deals are far bigger than ours. 

Generally, Where there is more money, there is better quality. 

Olly Lee's left boot
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So the second part of the season never consisted of passing around the defence, back to the goalie back to Souttar to Berra to erm hoof it forward? Usually down the line to try and win a foul or a Michael Smith special?

Is it tippy tappy hoofball or something then? 

Our results weren't good enough for various reasons exhausted on here.-

Hoofball wasn't one of them. 

For example, 3 Teams that played more hoofball finished above us. 

Style is irrelevant,  effectiveness and results are what's important. 

We need to improve on that. We all agree?

My point regarding hoofball stands- it is a myth, a hibs one at that. 

Same old jokers play it out tho, to make a point that I'm sure they've even forgotten by now. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Inch Hearts
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Our results weren't good enough for various reasons exhausted on here.-

Hoofball wasn't one of them. 

For example, 3 Teams that played more hoofball finished above us. 

Style is irrelevant,  effectiveness and results are what's important. 

We need to improve on that. We all agree?

My point regarding hoofball stands- it is a myth, a hibs one at that. 

Same old jokers play it out tho, to make a point that I'm sure they've even forgotten by now. 

So we didn’t pass along the back a lot before hoofing it forward? Is that seriously what you’re trying to say?  There was zero creativity at all at times.  

Hoofing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other bypassing yards and yards is hoofball my friend and I care not a lot that our predictable brand of it included passing it around to players either who shat themselves to make a pass or just couldn’t do so. 

Anyway who cares it’s last season. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Sir Gio
2 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

Jamie Walker ?

:jj:

Sir Gio
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I just never gave way to anyone on it!!! He who hesitates cometh last!!!

Eyes closed, foot down, GO!

Taffin
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

No Suprise at all tbh. 

I'm sure Belgium, Swiss, Danish, Sweden etc are below us as well in the long ball stakes. 

Still irrelevant to us being rated 8th in Our league. My point still stands, we are no more a long ball than our rivals, some of which are reported to have taught the Brazalians. ?

The debate on the quality of our football in general is another debate and a much wider one. 

Probably another thread. 

If you expect Hearts to buck the national trend my point regarding expectations stands. 

The survey was in the context of the Scottish league, not Europe. 

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure even theses types of leagues piss over us financial wise. 

Norway and Sweden were mentioned on here before iirc, thier TV deals are far bigger than ours. 

Generally, Where there is more money, there is better quality. 

In not disputing anything just giving a wider picture than just looking at our league. We're a long ball team in a macro sense so some people with a less narrow interest in football will view us that way and then in a micro sense we aren't (though still nobody has clarified what that report was showing regards what the way including as a 'long ball)

I'm on neither side of the fence, just highlighting that reeling off a single report with no definitions can make stats show anything especially when there is one showing the opposite if you open it up to a wider context.

Edited by Taffin

Taffin
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

It was for passes attempted

Thanks.

I'm not disputing what you've written btw just highlighting that those saying we aren't a long ball team aren't necessarily bashing the club but instead taken into account a larger viewpoint. 

Equally they might just be bashing the club. Personally, I don't think long ba is our issue, I think we try to pass it around but lack of movement and speed of thought are what prevent it working 

Icon of Symmetry
52 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So we didn’t pass along the back a lot before hoofing it forward? Is that seriously what you’re trying to say?  There was zero creativity at all at times.  

Hoofing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other bypassing yards and yards is hoofball my friend and I care not a lot that our predictable brand of it included passing it around to players either who shat themselves to make a pass or just couldn’t do so. 

Anyway who cares it’s last season. 

Of course we did on occasion. In other occasions we played more progressive patient build up play. You clearly focus solely on the occasions where we did do that and ignore the ample occasions where we did not.

Absolute Scenes

TRANSFERS