***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s funny but I see that totally differently.  A lot of dead wood out and some genuine quality added.  That for me is a very good transfer window so far.  

I don't think it's funny that we had that amount of deadwood in the first place. That could have paid for a couple of decent players.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Yes, for things like European football and because they once had a successful time at a clubs city rivals.

2 reasonable explanations for why Aberdeen might have been picked ahead of us.

Do you know we definitely didn’t speak to either player about coming to Hearts?

No and I never suggested we didn't you conveniently added that bit all on your own. I am using those players as examples of what type of players are out there and available. 

Edited by wavydavy

Clerry Jambo
6 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

How about waiting to see how shit we are when the season starts, instead of moaning about how shit we might be before the season has started.

Fair point but people are rightly voicing their concerns about the shaping of the squad, at this stage

Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

Fair point but people are rightly voicing their concerns about the shaping of the squad, at this stage

It seems your not meant to do that Clerry even on a discussion board, it upsets some people.

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

I remember getting pelters on here a few years ago when I said that Mallan was a goal-scoring midfielder (which he was) and we should look at him. Also mentioned that McGinn was a decent passer (which he was) and maybe worth a punt. This wasn't hindsight, it was while they were at St Mirren. I didn't even know who Ross Callachan was when he rocked up at Hearts but I knew who they were. All i'm saying is there are players out there that stand out at other clubs and we don't seem to get them. Also slightly pissed off that Aberdeen have signed Bryson knowing he was available.

Mallan? Are you honestly trying to say we should have signed Mallan?

:rofl:

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

And you know we have?

No I don’t have a clue. Which is why I can’t get upset either way about it.

Getting upset and criticising somebody for something they may or may not have done isn’t rational behaviour. 

Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

It's just wasted hot air until we actually play some matches though. we might play ok on Friday, win the group no problem and have a decent start to the season. However we have a small percentage of supporters who will be like coiled springs ready to boo the first misplaced pass.

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

I think some folk also seem to be missing a big point in that Naismith is not exceptional in getting a 13th months payment. Could be lots of guys who we are interested in might not want to sign for anyone just yet for fear of loai g a big last payment, come August there might be some genuinely good players looking for a club 

Just a thought 

Anyone playing in England whose contract expired on 30 June is in exactly the same place as Naismith, if they have a club lined up for Aug 1. We may even have a verbal agreement with one or two. That’s the best we could have at this stage. Levein is unlikely to come out and say so even if we have because the speculation would start and the risk of being gazumped goes up. Sadly patience is not one of jkb’s attributes but it’s needed at this stage. 

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I'm not a scout so don't know what is available out their but we pay people at the club to do that on a full time basis.

Agents are constantly circulating the clubs with the players they have on their books that are available and which are out of contract so don't require a fee.

Aberdeen have signed Bryson and it's looking like they might get McGeogh as well so they can manage.

We will be looking at CMs right now. I’m certain of it. If we’ve not signed one with a decent pedigree by the time the window closes, I’ll happily admit that’s a massive mistake on our part. 

What we have at the minute is not enough for a whole season in the Prem. It should be good enough for four cup games, all against lower tier opposition. It’s a good chance to see how Irving and Cochrane are doing. 

It’s also true that good players (who are likely to have more options) are more likely to want to sign for us towards the end of the window when they’ve a better understanding of whether there’s a better offer for them elsewhere. I would rather we signed one good player than have another Edwards/Clare scenario. 

All the handwringing is just massively premature. I’ve been critical of our recruitment before but we’ve literally not even started the season. 

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

No and I never suggested we didn't you conveniently added that bit all on your own. I am using those players as examples of what type of players are out there and available. 

You said you were pissed off Aberdeen got Bryson and that they might get McGeouch and we weren’t in for them.

Even those 2 are still punts. Walker has done more in his career than McGeouch and folk aren’t happy we’ve signed him.

Fact is, we have no clue who the club have spoken to or may be speaking to.

You seem to be berating the club for what they may or may not be doing. Which strikes me as weird.

By all means criticise tactics, team set up etc. I’ve got big doubts about that, I just don’t understand how you can get pissed off at something you are guessing has happened. 

3 minutes ago, Bellion said:

We will be looking at CMs right now. I’m certain of it. If we’ve not signed one with a decent pedigree by the time the window closes, I’ll happily admit that’s a massive mistake on our part. 

What we have at the minute is not enough for a whole season in the Prem. It should be good enough for four cup games, all against lower tier opposition. It’s a good chance to see how Irving and Cochrane are doing. 

It’s also true that good players (who are likely to have more options) are more likely to want to sign for us towards the end of the window when they’ve a better understanding of whether there’s a better offer for them elsewhere. I would rather we signed one good player than have another Edwards/Clare scenario. 

All the handwringing is just massively premature. I’ve been critical of our recruitment before but we’ve literally not even started the season. 

Can't disagree with any of what you say however it would have been nice to have someone already lined up and announced ready for the start of the campaign.

That of course could happen very soon which would be great news and boost the season ticket sales.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We don’t need major surgery. 

We only need one midfield player. A good yin, that will make a difference.

We can’t actually play the 3-4 new midfielders people seem to want all at the same time. We’ll play two or 3 maximum.

The key to our success is youth development, not signing umpteen players every season.

Good post, pretty much sums it up. Need to move on from quantity signings to quality signings. Current squad, even after a lot of leavers this summer, is at least 30 which is too many especially if five or six of those are guaranteed starts if fit and in decent form. 

Smith, Berra, Soutar, Haring, Naismith, in that category. Add a keeper. 

Logan, Brandon, Hickey, White, Garuccio, Dikamona, Halkett, Petkov, Lee, Bozanic, Edwards, Cochrane, Irving,Walker,Mulraney, Burns, Morrison, Clare, Uche, Wighton, McLean, Washington, McDonald,  That’s 23 for 5 remaining starting places. 

28 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

If we don’t contact them, they can’t choose us though

Yes they can. Have you heard of agents? 

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Maybe Bryson, Mulumbu, mcgeogh etc didn't fancy getting booed for 90 mins every week.

Laughable post. Grow up

20 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

53 days to go 

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Can't disagree with any of what you say however it would have been nice to have someone already lined up and announced ready for the start of the campaign.

That of course could happen very soon which would be great news and boost the season ticket sales.

The league starts in 3.5 weeks. Everything prior to that is foreplay. I only care about putting in a satisfying performance against Aberdeen. 

Just now, HMFC 86 said:

Laughable post. Grow up

It was tongue in cheek but I do fear for our youngsters in front of our support. It's a known fact it's not an easy place to play when things aren't going well.

Clerry Jambo
9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Maybe Bryson, Mulumbu, mcgeogh etc didn't fancy getting booed for 90 mins every week.

:jj_facepalm:

Just now, Byyy The Light said:

You said you were pissed off Aberdeen got Bryson and that they might get McGeouch and we weren’t in for them.

Even those 2 are still punts. Walker has done more in his career than McGeouch and folk aren’t happy we’ve signed him.

You seem to be berating the club for what they may or may not be doing. Which strikes me as weird.

By all means criticise tactics, team set up etc. I’ve got big doubts about that, I just don’t understand how you can get pissed off at something you are guessing has happened. 

I never said I was pissed off yet again your words. Bryson is a quality player who played a lot of games for Derby County and I realise any signing is a risk I hardly think that applies so much to him.

McGeogh is injury prone as he showed at Hibs and he obviously hasn't done well at Sunderland however when fit he proved that he was agood player at HIbs.

I would say he was about the same risk as Jamie Walker in terms of the time they have both spent out injured.

I am basing my thoughts on the matter on what CL has been quoted as saying to the media (admittedly not always correct) about wanting a quality midfielder in (hopefully that is not regarded as Walker) and this was before he said that Lee could leave if he finds another club and Djoum's departure.

Add to that the injury to Haring and the imminent start to the season and I think that is a bit concerning. Obviously we have a few cup games to go to try out the various options currently available but if we are not looking very strong there then it's added pressure to get someone in.

Your last point re tactics etc is hardly valid when the thread is about Summer Transfers.

5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

The league starts in 3.5 weeks. Everything prior to that is foreplay. I only care about putting in a satisfying performance against Aberdeen. 

What would your idea of a satisfying performance be after 3.5 weeks of foreplay?

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

There's this weird perception now that we absolutely have to have (expensive) quality in every position and that every other team is signing better players than us. 

On paper Aberdeen's first choice midfield does look stronger than ours. When you break it down, Bryson should be a good signing that we maybe couldn't compete for on wages, McGeough is very injury-prone and bombed down south as badly as Walker did, McGinn has had injuries and looks to have slowed down a bit, and Ferguson is very young meaning he could be as good again or he could suffer from having no Shinnie next to him. After that what midfield options do they have to cover for injuries? Not many and none of similar quality.

Sure, Bryson and McGeough could be great signings if they show the form they did at Killie and Hibs, but then the same applies to Walker recapturing his earlier form. And for all we know Cochrane could have a breakout season for us like Ferguson did for Aberdeen.

Edited by ToqueJambo

28 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

How about waiting to see how shit we are when the season starts, instead of moaning about how shit we might be before the season has started.

I think people are probably guessing but not wildly tbf . 

We've added Halkett who looks perfect for us . Washington, who knows . Walker was quality but maybe injury prone , New left back back from a horrendous time with injuries so logic tells you he is a risk . Naisy could be prone to injury and Haring looks  like he could also . 

Yes a lot of if buts and maybes but looking at our midfield it looks yet again with likely injuries it could be horrendous yet again come mid season . 

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It was tongue in cheek but I do fear for our youngsters in front of our support. It's a known fact it's not an easy place to play when things aren't going well.

Like the fans of any other club

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

What would your idea of a satisfying performance be after 3.5 weeks of foreplay?

Scoring several times while keeping it very tight at the back 👍🏻

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I never said I was pissed off yet again your words. Bryson is a quality player who played a lot of games for Derby County and I realise any signing is a risk I hardly think that applies so much to him.

McGeogh is injury prone as he showed at Hibs and he obviously hasn't done well at Sunderland however when fit he proved that he was agood player at HIbs.

I would say he was about the same risk as Jamie Walker in terms of the time they have both spent out injured.

I am basing my thoughts on the matter on what CL has been quoted as saying to the media (admittedly not always correct) about wanting a quality midfielder in (hopefully that is not regarded as Walker) and this was before he said that Lee could leave if he finds another club and Djoum's departure.

Add to that the injury to Haring and the imminent start to the season and I think that is a bit concerning. Obviously we have a few cup games to go to try out the various options currently available but if we are not looking very strong there then it's added pressure to get someone in.

Your last point re tactics etc is hardly valid when the thread is about Summer Transfers.

Ive looked back and you mentioned Bryson and McGeouch. It was another poster who replied to me that said they were pissed off with it so apologies I confused one making reference and one being pissed off.

Agree Bryson is a good player but at 32 he’s still a risk and unknown up here as he’s been down south so long.

I personally don’t believe a word Levein says to the press. Get the impression nowadays he just says stuff for a laugh.

I’d like us to sign a midfielder no doubt about it. Id rather give youth a chance in the league cup than sign an Olly Lee/Bozanic In a panic.  Getting the type of player we need is far from an easy task so even if we can’t find one I’m not going to be wetting the bed.

My point re tactics was I don’t think the club are beyond criticism. I just don’t think criticism is justified at this point, sure we’d all like to sign 3 or 4 quality players first day of the transfer window but that’s just never going to happen.

rick witter
5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Ive looked back and you mentioned Bryson and McGeouch. It was another poster who replied to me that said they were pissed off with it so apologies I confused one making reference and one being pissed off.

Agree Bryson is a good player but at 32 he’s still a risk and unknown up here as he’s been down south so long.

I personally don’t believe a word Levein says to the press. Get the impression nowadays he just says stuff for a laugh.

I’d like us to sign a midfielder no doubt about it. Id rather give youth a chance in the league cup than sign an Olly Lee/Bozanic In a panic.  Getting the type of player we need is far from an easy task so even if we can’t find one I’m not going to be wetting the bed.

My point re tactics was I don’t think the club are beyond criticism. I just don’t think criticism is justified at this point, sure we’d all like to sign 3 or 4 quality players first day of the transfer window but that’s just never going to happen.

It’s the clubs job to make sure they can find them and strengthen the area where we are extremely weak. If we don’t we will finish mid table again it really is that simple! 

36 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Laughable post. Grow up

Are you a freelance forum moderator? You’re all over the place telling people what to do.

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It’s the clubs job to make sure they can find them and strengthen the area where we are extremely weak. If we don’t we will finish mid table again it really is that simple! 

My 6 year old daughter is less of a drama queen than you.

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It’s July 10th. Dry your Ys mate.

👍🏻

Edited by To Be Frank

18 minutes ago, rick witter said:

53 days to do so for next season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, rick witter said:

giphy.gif

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

What was it about Dundee Utd getting pumped 3-2 by a Dunbarton team full of trialists at the weekend that made you think their midfield was all set to over-run us on Friday night? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Friendlies don’t count Frank.  Am i right? 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Friendlies don’t count Frank.  Am i right? 

Something must counted to have led to such a high wibble-factor reading that concludes our midfield is about to be over-run 😔

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie

It's a double edged sword, would love to see youth get the minutes in but I think it will be proven SPFL players/experienced pros we need to get us back challenging for europe because the way we are set-up its looking like yet another 6th olace finish for us whichnis embarrassing for a club our size with the budget we have.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie said:

It's a double edged sword, would love to see youth get the minutes in but I think it will be proven SPFL players/experienced pros we need to get us back challenging for europe because the way we are set-up its looking like yet another 6th olace finish for us whichnis embarrassing for a club our size with the budget we have.

Ach well, we'll survive. At least we didn't lose a derby cup final 5-1, get ourselves relegated and take 3 years to get promoted. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

:thumbs_up:

Rocky jamboa

We've got the terrace, classic kickback and the shed. There should be another section for "folk to argue with each other".

Came on to see if any signing news and 2 pages of people having pointless arguments with each other! 

This needs to be nipped in the bud as it's ruining this site. The same culprits every time. 

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie
12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ach well, we'll survive. At least we didn't lose a derby cup final 5-1, get ourselves relegated and take 3 years to get promoted. 

Any criticism of hearts and you're labelled a hibs fan.

You are allowed to criticise hearts!! Nobodies going to strip you off your hearts jammies.

Alex Kintner
17 minutes ago, HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie said:

July 10th 👍🏻

8 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

We've got the terrace, classic kickback and the shed. There should be another section for "folk to argue with each other".

Came on to see if any signing news and 2 pages of people having pointless arguments with each other! 

This needs to be nipped in the bud as it's ruining this site. The same culprits every time. 

There isn't any signing news which is why there is so much debate about it.

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie
24 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

July 10th 👍🏻

Will bookmark that post 👍🏻

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

It seems your not meant to do that Clerry even on a discussion board, it upsets some people.

Dunno how you can say that.

There are hundreds of posts voicing concern about the recruitment policy of the club.

Some people yourself included have been critical many times over many threads.

Nobody has attempted to stop you yet.

Some people myself included just find the constant negativity depressing and avoid your posts in the main.

I'll not be replying because I've said my bit and leave it at that.

I'll wait and see how the season turns out before I start fretting.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Dunno how you can say that.

There are hundreds of posts voicing concern about the recruitment policy of the club.

Some people yourself included have been critical many times over many threads.

Nobody has attempted to stop you yet.

Some people myself included just find the constant negativity depressing and avoid your posts in the main.

I'll not be replying because I've said my bit and leave it at that.

I'll wait and see how the season turns out before I start fretting.

You just did.