***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

Our midfield has been terrible since Neilson got us back up. Some of the signings have been woeful and that's down to poor scouting. If other clubs around us can manage it and we can't then there's something not right within the club or the scouting, as said is poor. Aberdeen and Hibs had/have managed to find attacking players in midfield while we've not. Both finishing above us these last two seasons. The amount of foreign players that's failed throughout our team whether Levein's been DoF or manager has been unbelievable. There are players out there worth looking at, we don't know if they would want to come to Hearts or if Hearts have even asked them. All I've seen over the last three years is midfielders turning up at Fester Rd and Pittodrie, signing on the dotted line and contributing to their teams. McGinn now has his big move, Shinnie is now down south and there are others.

As for our younger players...I hope that they can make it at Hearts but I do wonder after watching the majority of younger players that's came through in recent times. Most of them, with the exception of Patterson, not even good enough for teams in our own league and playing Championship and below. I do wonder if the likes of Cochrane and McDonald will go the same way, i'm seeing similarities and feel their development has stalled, especially when you look at Motherwell's young boys moving on to the next stage, hope not though, there's still time. I also thought Billy King was better than Morrison at this stage in their careers and look how that's turned out for him. The whole idea of youth development is to nurture players and get them moved on for big money, it's not been happening for us. It's going to be an intriguing season to see if they can reach the next level and bash on or if we've got a few more Brad Mackays, Jordan McGhees and Billy Kings or not.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

13 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aye cos quality midfielders in our bracket are ten a penny.  It's batshit mental how easy folk think it is, properly mental.  I'm not a Levein lover by any stretch of the imagination but some fans are seriously deluded about where we are as a club.

If a club like Killie can sign a player such as Mulumbu then surely a club with our finances can do something similar or is that too deluded for you?

Maybe if we hadn' t wasted so much money on some of CL's previous punts we could afford that bit of quality.

rick witter
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If a club like Killie can sign a player such as Mulumbu then surely a club with our finances can do something similar or is that too deluded for you?

Maybe if we hadn' t wasted so much money on some of CL's previous punts we could afford that bit of quality.

Spot on. 

Just now, wavydavy said:

The only reason Killie ever got Mulumbu is because he'd played for Clarke before and wanted to do so again. 

Is there someone obvious - who'd be happy to commit in mid-July & give up the prospect of earning more in England while clubs are still assembling squads there - that you think we've missed?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

So Levein as director of football did sign players for the club and not just the head coach then?  So when he’s punted and it’s another HC in charge there can be no debate at all that Levein and the other management sign players and not just the HC which does confirm interference in who the HC signs and also selects. 

Like Buaben and Gomis I would imagine also, signed by the dof with probable assurances they would play. 

Levein, Budge and Neilson are all on record about how recruitment works and who has what say and who has final say. The quotes are very easy to find because, unlike rangers, hibs and celtic who also have DoF types involved, it’s only newsworthy if its about us apparently.

You might also want to check out the quotes from D Utd’s DoF recently when they signed shankland and the thread called Souttar on neilson (or something) where someone posted an excellent video explaining the DoF role in modern football in great detail.

Basically, educate yourself about what a dof is.

15 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aye cos quality midfielders in our bracket are ten a penny.  It's batshit mental how easy folk think it is, properly mental.  I'm not a Levein lover by any stretch of the imagination but some fans are seriously deluded about where we are as a club.

But is it though? For similar budgets the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen have brought in McGinn, McGeogh, Allen, Boyle, Mackay-Steven, Shinnie, Horgan, Mallan who have all bolstered their midfield. Probably a couple more as well while we've brought in the likes of Martin, Callachan, Bozanic and others whose impact hasn't been so successful. We've just watched Aberdeen get Bryson in now as well.

There's good prospects out there but we seem to be last in the queue.

Byyy The Light
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes it’s completely deluded to think Hearts can swan out in to the transfer market and easily pick up a player of Mulumbu’s quality. A once in a decade signing for Killie. 

Same as Naismith is for us. 

If that’s your genuine expectations rather than aspirations then you’re going to be constantly disappointed.

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

But is it though? For similar budgets the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen have brought in McGinn, McGeogh, Allen, Boyle, Mackay-Steven, Shinnie, Horgan, Mallan who have all bolstered their midfield. Probably a couple more as well while we've brought in the likes of Martin, Callachan, Bozanic and others whose impact hasn't been so successful. We've just watched Aberdeen get Bryson in now as well.

Not defending our recruitment over the past few years, but several of those signings were made three or four years ago and the more recent ones (Horgan, Mallan) involved fees (a chunk of the McGinn money).  Both Hibs and Aberdeen have also signed, and then got rid of, their fair share of shite in that timeframe. 

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yes it is though. I’ve said it a few times on here before. Majority of the ones you’ve listed there were punts or flawed at some point when they signed for those clubs.

They were risks that worked out and in the case of McGinn far exceeded what they could’ve hoped. So many people on here use hindsight as a barometer. It’s mental.

Barring maybe Mackay Steven, If Hearts announced any of the above as signings tomorrow (as the players they were when they went to those clubs) folk would be criticising them and chucking the toys out the pram.

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Bellion said:

Not defending our recruitment over the past few years, but several of those signings were made three or four years ago and the more recent ones (Horgan, Mallan) involved fees (a chunk of the McGinn money).  Both Hibs and Aberdeen have also signed, and then got rid of, their fair share of shite in that timeframe. 

Correct. Most of my Hibs supporting mates don’t rate Mallan or Horgan anyway. 

I remember getting pelters on here a few years ago when I said that Mallan was a goal-scoring midfielder (which he was) and we should look at him. Also mentioned that McGinn was a decent passer (which he was) and maybe worth a punt. This wasn't hindsight, it was while they were at St Mirren. I didn't even know who Ross Callachan was when he rocked up at Hearts but I knew who they were. All i'm saying is there are players out there that stand out at other clubs and we don't seem to get them. Also slightly pissed off that Aberdeen have signed Bryson knowing he was available.

Edited by jambonian

Just now, jambonian said:

I remember getting pelters on here a few years ago when I said that Mallan was a goal-scoring midfielder (which he was) and we should look at him. Also mentioned that McGinn was a decent passer (which he was) and maybe worth a punt. This wasn't hindsight, it was while they were at St Mirren. I didn't even know who Ross Callachan was when he rocked up at Hearts but I knew who they were. All i'm saying is there are players out there that stand out at other clubs and we don't seem to get them.

We make good signings too (neither Hibs nor Aberdeen discovered Peter Haring), and both Hibs and Aberdeen make bad signings too.

Hibs have been through some absolute dross in the last few years, but they don't play much (like Martin, Grzelak and whoever), so we don't really notice.  Aberdeen spaffed about £200k on that Forrester boy last summer, then released him in January.  I can't remember him playing for them, and I bet most people on this site have forgotten it ever happened.  Imagine the uproar if Levein had done that.  

Our recruitment in the last few years has been really patchy, no getting away from that. But so far, this summer has been much better. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Is it not like buying off Amazon or going down Tesco then.

21st century really football is living in the dark ages  🙄

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Is it not like buying off Amazon or going down Tesco then.

21st century really football is living in the dark ages  🙄

Were more ebay to be honest

I think some folk also seem to be missing a big point in that Naismith is not exceptional in getting a 13th months payment. Could be lots of guys who we are interested in might not want to sign for anyone just yet for fear of loai g a big last payment, come August there might be some genuinely good players looking for a club 

Just a thought 

10 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I remember getting pelters on here a few years ago when I said that Mallan was a goal-scoring midfielder (which he was) and we should look at him. Also mentioned that McGinn was a decent passer (which he was) and maybe worth a punt. This wasn't hindsight, it was while they were at St Mirren. I didn't even know who Ross Callachan was when he rocked up at Hearts but I knew who they were. All i'm saying is there are players out there that stand out at other clubs and we don't seem to get them. Also slightly pissed off that Aberdeen have signed Bryson knowing he was available.

Totally agree with you, but it’s pointless arguing with them. There are those who will not hear any criticism of the club and our scouting/recruitment policy, no matter the facts of the matter. They love using their favourite buzzword, “sense of entitlement”, and always suggest we can’t afford any player that might be mentioned, ignoring the signings other clubs make. It’s ridiculous, rather than a “sense of entitlement”, there seems to be an acceptance of shite by some Hearts supporters

Leveins Battalion
17 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Aye but we got Wighton theres was loads of clubs after him..

All roads lead to Gorgie
19 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Were more ebay to be honest

Aye, looking for items that have been re-listed over and over again 😉

Class of 75

I just listened to Levein's press conference today and I am now more convinced than ever that he does not genuinely have a clue. How he can think that the midfield we had for last season would be good enough to put a challenge for atleast the top 4 this season is incredible. Even with Djoum who is now away the midfield was light. Now with Haring who is really a defender out injured we will struggle further. For the third largest team in Scotland we are being short changed and it looks like another poor season ahead unless major changes are taken at the top. This team needs major surgery and the lower league duds like Bozanic and Lee sent packing. 

Edited by Class of 75

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

So Levein as director of football did sign players for the club and not just the head coach then?  So when he’s punted and it’s another HC in charge there can be no debate at all that Levein and the other management sign players and not just the HC which does confirm interference in who the HC signs and also selects. 

Like Buaben and Gomis I would imagine also, signed by the dof with probable assurances they would play. 

The head coach had the final say, as confirmed by every single person involved

gorgieheart
20 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

I just listened to Levein's press conference today and I am now more convinced than ever that he does not genuinely have a clue. How he can think that the midfield we had for last season would be good enough to put a challenge for atleast the top 4 this season is incredible. Even with Djoum who is now away the midfield was light. Now with Haring who is really a defender out injured we will struggle further. For the third largest team in Scotland we are being short changed and it looks like another poor season ahead unless major changes are taken at the top. This team needs major surgery and the lower league duds like Bozanic and Lee sent packing. 

Away and hire a Cessna

Cruyff Turn
17 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

We don’t need major surgery. 

We only need one midfield player. A good yin, that will make a difference.

We can’t actually play the 3-4 new midfielders people seem to want all at the same time. We’ll play two or 3 maximum.

The key to our success is youth development, not signing umpteen players every season.

johnking123
8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We can’t actually play the 3-4 new midfielders people seem to want all at the same time. We’ll play two or 3 maximum.

The key to our success is youth development, not signing umpteen players every season.

👍

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Completely agree with this.

heartmussel
32 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Sanity👍

heartandsoul
34 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good post

You think Levein signed Berra, AM brought in Laff and Smith but Neilson brought in two players who played amazing under Levein before? Can’t have it all ways. 

You said the DOF probably gave players the assurances they’d play...that’s just speculative nonsense to try and put some weight behind your arguement

There is no doubt CL helped RN massively that initial season with player recruitment. But don’t say he brought players in and told RN he had to play them......that’s just lies.

3 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Berra was a landmark signing and signed to lead the club on the pitch for a number of years. An obvious DoF/ Owner signing.  Club needs a leadership team on and off the pitch. Berra was signed to be the on pitch club leader. I suspect he will end up coaching at some point in future as part of the deal. 

31 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

But it’s timing with youth development, isn’t it?  We need the balance to be right and that means having the right experience to lead by example. It also means keeping us competitive at the right end of the table. 

A man like Levein is someone we all expect to know that better than anyone having been brought up in that environment. But is it being implemented properly? Is every young player hanging around the first team outgrown the lower level they’ve been honing themselves in and now showing maturity ready for the rigours of the first team?

Only Hearts can answer and judge that.  

My worry is the strategy to blood youngsters and sell for fees, within the greater strategy , is being push to the top of the list. 

I love to think we’re about to see a team align in every way with youngsters flourishing and at the heart of it , but my worry is we see a couple of players do well over a few seasons in an average team and the highlight is them being sold for good money and the team has done nothing. 

The manager said 3 players he was looking for, they have all came in plus Naismith who will be back fit and match sharp in September probably now the clubs been scouting players all along?  A very important match is on Friday night and the midfield is going to get totally over ran.  

Now that is pure speculation!

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Awfy lot of mouth foaming going on today.....

Is there a full moon or what ? 

Standard JKB wibbling tbh

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

The manager said 3 players he was looking for, they have all came in plus Naismith who will be back fit and match sharp in September probably now the clubs been scouting players all along?  A very important match is on Friday night and the midfield is going to get totally over ran.  

What was it about Dundee Utd getting pumped 3-2 by a Dunbarton team full of trialists at the weekend that made you think their midfield was all set to over-run us on Friday night? 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Bellion said:

The only reason Killie ever got Mulumbu is because he'd played for Clarke before and wanted to do so again. 

Is there someone obvious - who'd be happy to commit in mid-July & give up the prospect of earning more in England while clubs are still assembling squads there - that you think we've missed?

I'm not a scout so don't know what is available out their but we pay people at the club to do that on a full time basis.

Agents are constantly circulating the clubs with the players they have on their books that are available and which are out of contract so don't require a fee.

Aberdeen have signed Bryson and it's looking like they might get McGeogh as well so they can manage.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Totally agree with you, but it’s pointless arguing with them. There are those who will not hear any criticism of the club and our scouting/recruitment policy, no matter the facts of the matter. They love using their favourite buzzword, “sense of entitlement”, and always suggest we can’t afford any player that might be mentioned, ignoring the signings other clubs make. It’s ridiculous, rather than a “sense of entitlement”, there seems to be an acceptance of shite by some Hearts supporters

You can’t choose which facts to ignore and which ones to listen to.

More than happy to criticise the current manager on his tactics, his constant tinkering and lack of a game plan. Can’t accept that Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie are massively superior to us in the transfer market.  Some have just got luckier than others with their punts. 

All clubs have had their successes and shockers.  

1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

It would seem according to some that your expectations are too high. It would also seem that we are happy to be a club finishing in sixth place each season because we can't afford the type of players that can move us higher up the league.

Byyy The Light
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I'm not a scout so don't know what is available out their but we pay people at the club to do that on a full time basis.

Agents are constantly circulating the clubs with the players they have on their books that are available and which are out of contract so don't require a fee.

Aberdeen have signed Bryson and it's looking like they might get McGeogh as well so they can manage.

You do realise players have a choice? Hearts can’t force them to sign. 

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

If we don’t contact them, they can’t choose us though

Cruyff Turn
23 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But it’s timing with youth development, isn’t it?  We need the balance to be right and that means having the right experience to lead by example. It also means keeping us competitive at the right end of the table. 

A man like Levein is someone we all expect to know that better than anyone having been brought up in that environment. But is it being implemented properly? Is every young player hanging around the first team outgrown the lower level they’ve been honing themselves in and now showing maturity ready for the rigours of the first team?

Only Hearts can answer and judge that.  

My worry is the strategy to blood youngsters and sell for fees, within the greater strategy , is being push to the top of the list. 

I love to think we’re about to see a team align in every way with youngsters flourishing and at the heart of it , but my worry is we see a couple of players do well over a few seasons in an average team and the highlight is them being sold for good money and the team has done nothing. 

I think the balance is right. All of the young guys have plenty experience around them tbf. It’s not as if we’re playing them all at the same time. 

The young lads have coped fine so far at first team level, they are all clearly talented but are perhaps lacking the physical aspect of the game as they’ve not had as much experience of playing against senior pros but that will come as they grow. 

If we were to pick Hearts best XI, all fit and available, I don’t think any of our Academy players would start. We’re not even having to rely on them, they are merely being given the opportunities off the bench or perhaps come in to the XI through injuries or suspension to others. Of course if they perform well, they should keep their place.

So at the moment, some of them might play 30 games but I very much doubt any of them will start even 20 games this season. 

The youth Academy has to be the top priority in the grand scheme of things but I agree that we still need to be competitive at top 4 level, so there always needs to be that backbone of good senior pros there. 

It is is too early to say whether it will earn us money in the future but the signs so far are promising that we will at least end up with players who will be good enough to succeed at our level. 

How about waiting to see how shit we are when the season starts, instead of moaning about how shit we might be before the season has started.

Just now, Byyy The Light said:

Really. I never thought of that. Amazing you learn something new every day.

You do also realise that players don't always sign for  a club based on the money that is on offer but the place the club is based in the faciilities they have and the Manager/Coaches vision on how they want the player to play for their club etc

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

If we don’t contact them, they can’t choose us though

So you know we’ve not contacted them?

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

And also, we don’t have loads of money either. 

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

How about waiting to see how shit we are when the season starts, instead of moaning about how shit we might be before the season has started.

Excellent point. 

Byyy The Light
Just now, wavydavy said:

Really. I never thought of that. Amazing you learn something new every day.

You do also realise that players don't always sign for  a club based on the money that is on offer but the place the club is based in the faciilities they have and the Manager/Coaches vision on how they want the player to play for their club etc

Yes, for things like European football and because they once had a successful time at a clubs city rivals.

2 reasonable explanations for why Aberdeen might have been picked ahead of us.

Do you know we definitely didn’t speak to either player about coming to Hearts?