Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

Fitzroy Pointon

We're undoubtedly a better team with him in it so although it was the worst kept secret in recent years, it is a marvellous signing. 

If we get 4 playing years out of him that would be great, but even if he isnt playing to have him around the young players and club for 4 years is just as good.

Brilliant signing, it's pretty depressing that our whole club has relied on a loan player for the last year and a half.  Levein must be buzzing, should be paying Naismith a percentage of his wages as he is keeping him in his job.  4 year deal for someone who is about to turn 33 and has had injury issues is also a massive risk for the club.

It's still definitely a positive as he moves us from a bottom 6 club to a top 6 club (if he plays) 

Just now, jackal said:

If we get 4 playing years out of him that would be great, but even if he isnt playing to have him around the young players and club for 4 years is just as good.

He'll be taking up a decent percent of the playing budget so hopefully he is playing football matches for us for 4 years - we have plenty coaches so I wouldn't see Naismith as sitting on the sidelines and cheering on the young lads as a positive 

the jambo poet

4 years is excellent. Means he ends his playing days with us, hopefully. Get him in cotton wool after every game. The bonus of him being out injured previously in his career is his career may just be extended if he stays injury free. hopefully goes on to coach/manage within/the club

Sexton Hardcastle
40 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Nope they can’t. 

While Naismith is a great signing and will be a massive influence for us in a positive way, does it not worry you how much our form fell off a cliff when he limped off at Murrayfield?

So we don’t sign him?

The same happens with most clubs when their top player isn’t on the field. 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Brilliant signing, it's pretty depressing that our whole club has relied on a loan player for the last year and a half.  Levein must be buzzing, should be paying Naismith a percentage of his wages as he is keeping him in his job.  4 year deal for someone who is about to turn 33 and has had injury issues is also a massive risk for the club.

It's still definitely a positive as he moves us from a bottom 6 club to a top 6 club (if he plays) 

We might think that he has only 3 years in him but a four year deal allows the costs of having him are spread over a longer period. 🤷🏽‍♂️

A_A wehatethehibs

The talk of the summer has been all about playing, scoring and winning when we don’t have Naismith...

But we do have Naismith. For 4 years. Top class player. 

Now if all the boys like Washington Walker etc can chip in with more bread & butter goals we can go one better than last season and bring some silverware home

To sign someone of Naismith's calibre for the next 4 years is monumental.

The standards he sets on the park will be invaluable and the experience and knowledge he'll pass on to the young boys will push this club to the next level imo.

Welcome back to the greatest football club in the world, Naisy.

NOW, come on tae feck, sign a quality centre mid!!! :)

45 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I take your point but if we need someone to save us from relegation he's the one, I'd rather have him than not have him by a mile.

We seem to be spending an awful lot of money just to stave off relegation....

Sub4TiddlerMurray

massive respect to CL for persuading Naismith that this is the place to end his career. And, massive respect to AB for supporting the deal spread over 4 years (which I'm sure was the only way we were going to get his signature).

That's 3 quality signings out of 4 (I hope Connor Washington proves his worth too but). 

Now, if we see an upgrade on Djoum coming in??? I will 👏👏👏 

Phil Dunphy
16 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

So we don’t sign him?

The same happens with most clubs when their top player isn’t on the field. 

I didn’t say we shouldn’t sign him. Quite the opposite. 

What I did question was our extremely heavy reliance on him to stop us getting involved in a relegation dogfight. 

Delighted he has signed. But think a 4 year deal

Is excessive for a player who missed a large part of last season due to injury. Think the deal smacks of the club being desperate to appease the fans 

IveSeenTheLight
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

We absolutely will. Clarke desperate enough to phone the 34 year old,  he is beginning to realise soon enough. 

Kazakhstan 

:wow:

Sorry. You are not making any sense.

On topic though - WOW 4 year deal for a player that turns 33 next year and has had injury issues which meant he only played 19 out of the 38 league games last year.

Very brave.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

On topic though - WOW 4 year deal for a player that turns 33 next year and has had injury issues which meant he only played 19 out of the 38 league games last year.

Very brave.

:rofl:

Greener than a Hibs top

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, Sid said:

Scarf above the head tomorrow. If you can somehow turn this into a neutral/negative should be banned by moderators as clearly infiltrator. 

Exception is Geoff who I know is a Jambo but his warped negative obsession with Levein may distort his mind into somehow finding a negative around the signing of a £40k per week English Premiership player into our team. 

Absolutely this but I’d ban Geoff too 

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Very brave.

And when he does play, we almost always win, so good luck on Sunday 

Phenomenal signing, and four whole years too. Will do wonders for Cochrane, Smith, MacDonald, Irving etc.

Naysayers can GTF!

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I didn’t say we shouldn’t sign him. Quite the opposite. 

What I did question was our extremely heavy reliance on him to stop us getting involved in a relegation dogfight. 

He was a big miss for us last season, but that does not mean it will be the same this season. Others will need to step up and contribute more goals, that is essential. There will be a many games where we will want to rest Naismith so we have him fully fit for the big fixtures. 

But those are team issues, today is about the individual, theres no negative to Hearts signing a player of this class. With the money in the game it’s so difficult for us to get quality in the building and quality he is. 

32 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Loving the *%#$¥ on here finding a negative spin on this.

Exactly. 

"It's a shite signing 'cause he might get injured and we're pish without him". 

Arguably one of the greatest Hearts teams ever, the 98 side, went in to absolute free fall without Mickey Cameron. When players are as good as Mickey and Naismith, their absence will always be strongly felt. 

IveSeenTheLight
6 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

And when he does play, we almost always win, so good luck on Sunday 

He is a fantastic influence on Hearts, no-doubt.

He'll be a fantastic signing (when he plays) but also poses a high risk (when he doesn't)

The balance will be if you get more gametime than not over the next 4 years.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

He'll be a fantastic signing (when he plays) but also poses a high risk (when he doesn't)

You have a 3 year contract to Niall McGinn 🤷‍♂️

Very happy with this deal. Sure he will bring more to the club than just his contribution on the park which will of course be substantial.

tolcross lad

I just wonder how much money this is costing over 4 year period.Great player for us but getting on in age and injury prone.Very risky unless there is more to it.

13 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Very brave.

No **** cares what you think.

😚

Very brave.

Haha! 

You'd chew your own arm off to have someone of Naismith's ability at your club. 

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I think one of the reasons he's been brought in is to help youngsters develop and be a positive role model. Also coach them through games when playing. Hopefully he can get more game time than last year.

Robbo-Jambo

Very brave.

A wee bit of envy in that post IMO 😋

doctor jambo

I can find nothing negative to say about this at all

Magic player, miles above our level as a club

Huge commitment from him.

If it had not happened then hell knows where we would be.

guy is a talisman

Just now, tolcross lad said:

I just wonder how much money this is costing over 4 year period.Great player for us but getting on in age and injury prone.Very risky unless there is more to it.

It matters not. His validity is incalculable not only as a player but what else he may do during those four years. Academy boys should be watching & learning.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Delighted he's here. The longer the better for me. Think he'll make a fine manager too once he retires. Fantastic player with a fantastic attitude.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

You have a 3 year contract to Niall McGinn 🤷‍♂️

Yes.

A year younger with a year less on his deal.

He's just turned 32 and his contract runs out when he just turns 34

I don't expect McGinn to play every game for us and we have cover in the wide areas.

He's played well so far this season, but can be hit / miss.

I would accept that Naismith is a bigger influence on Hearts than McGinn is for Aberdeen, but financially, is Naismith a bigger risk?

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I think one of the reasons he's been brought in is to help youngsters develop and be a positive role model. Also coach them through games when playing. Hopefully he can get more game time than last year.

I get that, he sounds like he is a massive influence on and off the pitch for you guys.

I hope he does well, just not on Sunday of course ;)

IveSeenTheLight
4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

A wee bit of envy in that post IMO 😋

Not at all, he is a fantastic signing for you no doubt.

Just surprised at a 4 year deal though

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I would accept that Naismith is a bigger influence on Hearts than McGinn is for Aberdeen, but financially, is Naismith a bigger risk?

Nothing but delighted about Naismith signing. Completely happy to take the risk.

Are you saying you wouldn't swap McGinn for Naismith? 

Edited by naeclue

We don't know if Naismisth is on big bucks. Maybe he's made his money and was quite happy to accept a lesser contract because he sees Hearts as a great place to kick start his career as a coach