U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Calling Dave out for the chinless wonder he actually is?

Many lols. 

What did Dave say that the MAGAs have taken such offence to?

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
54 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

What did Dave say that the MAGAs have taken such offence to?

He was calling out the MAGA types for appeasing Putin over funding for Ukraine.

Trailer Queen said he sould concentrate on his own country and can kiss her ass

There is no moral high ground to be held in any way regarding Ukraine.

Another murky episode in greed.

And people like me pay the price.

Lybia,Syria ,Yemen ,Gaza ,a list of African nations that no one gives a shit about.

There are no good guys .

Just slightly less worse.

When I say me I mean normal everyday.

I've probably on the whole benefitted from violent Western foreign policy.

We all have.

Edited by Ked

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

End of debate surely

Could I just remind everyone that the majority of the world not just Russia view us (the west) quite a bit differently to what we imagine.

They hold us responsible for every recent conflict and we're pretty much seen as shitstirring !!##£.

The carnage inflicted pre Trump yet somehow he's cast as the danger?

The damage was done as soon as his style struck a chord regardless of the slurs against his voters.

Previous administrations laid the path with war based on lies and the destabilising of countries that purposely created chaos.

The same posters who would agree when it's Gaza ignore the dozens of other wars/conflicts/destabilising tactics in other arenas.

Watt-Zeefuik

Do you as a born American think this insanity they all know will just get worse if Trump were elected, shit he broadcasts how insane it will be, Do you think this country would actually elect that? I don't. But your experience is far greater than mine.

@JFK-1 I didn't think the US would elect him the first time after the Billy Bush "grab them" video emerged. I didn't think his vote total would go *up* in 2020. I don't know WTF the country is going to do, but fortunately it's not my job to make predictions. I know the chance of him being re-elected is real and we have to do everything we can to stop it, and by extension to electorally bury his GOP enablers in Washington. That's what I'm trying to focus on. Yes, of course, I check in on the prognosticators because despair creeps in when you're tired, and fortunately there's plenty of evidence for being hopeful.

Footballfirst

DA Fani Willis on the stand just now in the Trump case to recuse her. Sounds like it could be pretty argumentative.

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

He was calling out the MAGA types for appeasing Putin over funding for Ukraine.

Trailer Queen said he sould concentrate on his own country and can kiss her ass

He's not wrong, tbf.

22 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I don't mind what kind of picture you paint.  I just have a preference for artists who base their sketches on the landscape itself rather than what they would like the landscape to look like. :laugh:  

No imagination. ;)

While Trumps first criminal trial is not the most serious he is facing, not quite on the level of insurrection and illegal retention of classified documents. But this is still serious shit involving dozens of felony charges that can bring jail time.. that can bring jail time.

Judge was totally brutal with Trumps shit talking lawyers, an overall humiliating slap down. But this is exactly what it's going to be like in all courts, the net is closing and for the first time in his life he's not getting out of it.

Judge to Trump's face: You’re going on trial in March

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't put too much stock in this, but someone asked 500+ scholars of US Presidential history to rank Presidential "greatness."

I definitely disagree with a few of them (I'd put Reagan or "RR" a lot lower) but it's fine as these things go.

No surprise who comes in last.

8bbb684f81ee0131.png

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 15/02/2024 at 01:56, Cade said:

aye but what if it wiz fred west or jimmy savile or harold shipman running fur the democrats likesay eh

what then eh?

eh?

Doddsy has posters of them on his wall.

Mysterion
14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

DA Fani Willis on the stand just now in the Trump case to recuse her. Sounds like it could be pretty argumentative.

I was listening to the early part of proceedings in court. 

An absolute train wreck with Nathan Wade's divorce lawyer, Fani's former best pal and Wade himself on the stand. 

The whole show seemed to imply that Willis/Wade had an affair despite Wade's marriage being over as far back as 2015 (due to his wife having an affair), then about trying to catch them out with money/payments. 

It was a lot of trying to drag people through the mud. The former best pal for example was suggesting a timeframe for when Willis/Wade became romantically involved. Later in testimony that had to admit she had performance issues at work and had been disciplined, later she admitted she was offered the chance to resign instead of being sacked. Wade spent time explaining why he didn't have an affair (ie. Marriage over) and offering reasonable information on financial transactions and how he split bills with Willis for things.

It was just messy but i got the impression both sides did their job well (one asking difficult/probing questions, the others replying confidently and with answers that could be legit). There's a second day of proceedings to go and after the first day the Trump lawyers didn't get anything significant. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

There's a second day of proceedings to go and after the first day the Trump lawyers didn't get anything significant. 

Given how Fani Willis attacked Ashleigh Merchant's pleadings as being full of lies, right at the start of her giving evidence, I'd expect that Anna Cross will enable Willis to refute the claims later today.  

Jim_Duncan
10 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I don't put too much stock in this, but someone asked 500+ scholars of US Presidential history to rank Presidential "greatness."

I definitely disagree with a few of them (I'd put Reagan or "RR" a lot lower) but it's fine as these things go.

No surprise who comes in last.

8bbb684f81ee0131.png

I’d have Calvin Coolidge far higher  

Jim_Duncan
10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

While Trumps first criminal trial is not the most serious he is facing, not quite on the level of insurrection and illegal retention of classified documents. But this is still serious shit involving dozens of felony charges that can bring jail time.. that can bring jail time.

Judge was totally brutal with Trumps shit talking lawyers, an overall humiliating slap down. But this is exactly what it's going to be like in all courts, the net is closing and for the first time in his life he's not getting out of it.

Judge to Trump's face: You’re going on trial in March

Still playing that tune?

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I was listening to the early part of proceedings in court. 

An absolute train wreck with Nathan Wade's divorce lawyer, Fani's former best pal and Wade himself on the stand. 

The whole show seemed to imply that Willis/Wade had an affair despite Wade's marriage being over as far back as 2015 (due to his wife having an affair), then about trying to catch them out with money/payments. 

It was a lot of trying to drag people through the mud. The former best pal for example was suggesting a timeframe for when Willis/Wade became romantically involved. Later in testimony that had to admit she had performance issues at work and had been disciplined, later she admitted she was offered the chance to resign instead of being sacked. Wade spent time explaining why he didn't have an affair (ie. Marriage over) and offering reasonable information on financial transactions and how he split bills with Willis for things.

It was just messy but i got the impression both sides did their job well (one asking difficult/probing questions, the others replying confidently and with answers that could be legit). There's a second day of proceedings to go and after the first day the Trump lawyers didn't get anything significant. 

Merchant (who isn't a lawyer for Trump directly but is a lawyer for one of his accused co-conspirators, so might as well be) isn't even trying to get Willis to recuse here. They're just sliming Willis so that when he loses in Georgia he can scream, "WITCH HUNT!!!" on Truth Social.

7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Out of curiosity, why?

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Out of curiosity, why?

I randomly picked up a book about him in the uni library when I was writing about/researching FDR and the New Deal. 

I find him a fascinating president and person. 

A quick overview here: https://www.voanews.com/amp/new-appreciation-for-americas-forgotten-president--102078063/162142.html

Maple Leaf
41 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It's good to see Herbert Hoover so low, even lower that Nixon.  If Archie Bunker liked him, he must have been really baaad.  :wink:

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I randomly picked up a book about him in the uni library when I was writing about/researching FDR and the New Deal. 

I find him a fascinating president and person. 

A quick overview here: https://www.voanews.com/amp/new-appreciation-for-americas-forgotten-president--102078063/162142.html

Interesting. I guess you can distinguish him from Harding certainly in that Harding was bombastic and incompetent whereas Coolidge was quiet and competent. But to me his anti-immigration and low tax policies helped push the economy into the unbalanced and warped state that made it susceptible to the great crash of 29. And his Native policies were on one level more humanitarian than many of his predecessors but were also paternalistic and ultimately unhelpful to Natives themselves. (https://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2017/11/30/calvin-coolidge-didnt-understand-native-americans/ideas/essay/)

So yeah, I guess I'd agree he doesn't deserve to be down with GWB and Nixon but I'd only move him up to the next group of the McKinleys, Fords, and Clevelands.

The other thing looking at that chart reminds me is just how many terrible Presidents the US has had and how bad Trump had to be to claw his way to the bottom of them.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Jim_Duncan
38 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Interesting. I guess you can distinguish him from Harding certainly in that Harding was bombastic and incompetent whereas Coolidge was quiet and competent. But to me his anti-immigration and low tax policies helped push the economy into the unbalanced and warped state that made it susceptible to the great crash of 29. And his Native policies were on one level more humanitarian than many of his predecessors but were also paternalistic and ultimately unhelpful to Natives themselves. (https://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2017/11/30/calvin-coolidge-didnt-understand-native-americans/ideas/essay/)

So yeah, I guess I'd agree he doesn't deserve to be down with GWB and Nixon but I'd only move him up to the next group of the McKinleys, Fords, and Clevelands.

The other thing looking at that chart reminds me is just how many terrible Presidents the US has had and how bad Trump had to be to claw his way to the bottom of them.

I think he’s always tarred with the same brush as Hoover because HH followed him. However, Hoover was a chancer, IMO. 

I don’t think many US presidents come out of their dealings with the native peoples looking too good, TBF. He, of course, was of his time. I don’t agree with all his policies, but I do agree with his fiscal prudence and distrust of government interference. 

If you’re into US presidential history, have you ever listened to the ‘Wicked Game’ podcast?

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I think he’s always tarred with the same brush as Hoover because HH followed him. However, Hoover was a chancer, IMO. 

I don’t think many US presidents come out of their dealings with the native peoples looking too good, TBF. He, of course, was of his time. I don’t agree with all his policies, but I do agree with his fiscal prudence and distrust of government interference. 

If you’re into US presidential history, have you ever listened to the ‘Wicked Game’ podcast?

I'm a bit over the "of his time" thing as an excuse for people. He had legislation on his desk to protect native land rights and he vetoed it, contributing to the loss of 90 million acres of their land. There were certainly Presidents before him who were significantly better. It's also notable because he imagined he had Native ancestry (it's possible but likely he didn't), was formally adopted into the tribe by the Lakota (nominally quite a big deal but I get the sense it's a bit like an honorary degree), and made all natives citizens, so that was good, but the "Indian Education Movement" reached its zenith under him, the horrors of which are now finally getting their full recognition.

As for his economic policies, to me they're yet another data point in the growing list of times that "low taxes, laissez-faire economics" has led to an economic crash. I think understanding the limits of government intervention is certainly vital, but at some point I wish we'd collectively learn that lesson.

I haven't heard the podcast. Not a big presidential history buff myself, other than in the service of wishing we'd scale back the oversized powers that the Presidency has ended up with at this point.

Lovecraft

$354 Million.

Oooooft.

Nothing to a guy that has many, many, millions... great millions.  The best millions.

Much bigliest millions.

Edited by Lovecraft

The Court hereby enjoins Donald Trump, Allen Weisselberg, and Jeffrey McConney from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation or other legal entity in New York for a period of three years.

The Court hereby enjoins Donald Trump and the Trump Organization and its affiliates from applying for loans from any financial institution chartered by or registered with the New York State Department of Financial Services for a period of three years.

ORDERED that defendants Donald Trump, the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, the Trump Organization, Inc., Trump Organization LLC, DJT Holdings LLC, DJT Holdings Managing Member, Trump Endeavor 12 LLC, 401 North Wabash Venture LLC, Trump Old Post Office LLC, 40 Wall Street LLC, are jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in the amount of $168,040,168, with pre-judgment interest from March 4, 2019; and it is further

ORDERED that defendants Donald Trump, the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, the Trump Organization, Inc., and Trump Organization LLC, and the Trump Old Post Office LLC are jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in the amount of $126,828,600, with pre-judgment interest from May 11, 2022; and it is further

ORDERED that defendants Donald Trump, the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, the Trump Organization, Inc., and Trump Organization LLC are jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in the amount of $60,000,000, with pre-judgment interest from June 26, 2023; and it is further

ORDERED that defendant Eric Trump is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $4,013,024, with pre-judgment interest from May 11, 2022; and it is further

ORDERED that defendant Donald Trump, Jr. is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $4,013,024, with pre-judgment interest from May 11, 2022; and it is further

ORDERED that defendant Allen Weisselberg is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $1,000,000, with pre-judgment interest from January 9, 2023

Edited by Cade

13 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

$354 Million.

Oooooft.

Nothing to a guy that has many, many, millions... great millions.  The best millions.

Much bigliest millions.

This was the most politically motivated accusation in the history of life on Earth, the most witch huntiest and everybody knows it.

But I have millions and billions and whatever is bigger than billions, and i'm counting it out right now in $1 bills.

So, 1,2,3,4, wait where was I? 1,2,3. where was I? 1

Generic Username

Is that the default Trump response now, that everything is a politically motivated witch hunt?

Found guilty of sexual assault? Politically motivated.

Guilty of cooking the books for decades? Politically motivated.

Being held to account for January 6th? Politically motivated. 

Shouted at by his wife for not flushing the toilet? Politically motivated. 

Maple Leaf
6 minutes ago, Generic Username said:

Is that the default Trump response now, that everything is a politically motivated witch hunt?

Throw in a shout or two of "witch hunt" and you have it covered.

17 minutes ago, Generic Username said:

Overfilled his diaper, shite running down his legs, the Biden crime clan slipped a diaper size too small into his stash. Witch hunt.

No wonder he's always bitching about toilets not flushing, imagine trying to flush away a filled diaper big enough to cover that gigantic orange arse. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just as well he gets all those donations.

$354m 😂

That's a lot mug punters.

Maple Leaf

Now that the "Real Estate genius" has been exposed as a fraud, we can that to his list of failed businesses.  And let's not forget that he's a rapist, and an admitted molester of women.  And the Republicans want this embarrassment to be their Presidential candidate. :rofl:

His failed businesses are:

1. Trump Steaks

2. GoTrump 

3. Trump Airlines

4. Trump Vodka

5. Trump Mortgage

6. Trump: The Game

7. Trump Magazine

8. Trump University

9. Trump Ice 

10. The New Jersey Generals 

11. Tour de Trump 

12. Trump Network 

13. Trumped! 

Trump companies that sought bankruptcy protection:

1. Trump Taj Mahal 

2. Trump’s Castle

3. Trump Plaza Casinos

4. Trump Plaza Hotel 

5. Trump Hotels and Casinos Resorts 

6. Trump Entertainment Resorts 

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Now that the "Real Estate genius" has been exposed as a fraud, we can that to his list of failed businesses.  And let's not forget that he's a rapist, and an admitted molester of women.  And the Republicans want this embarrassment to be their Presidential candidate. :rofl:

1. Trump Steaks

2. GoTrump 

3. Trump Airlines

4. Trump Vodka

5. Trump Mortgage

7. Trump Magazine

8. Trump University

9. Trump Ice 

11. Tour de Trump 

12. Trump Network 

13. Trumped! 

1. Trump Taj Mahal 

2. Trump’s Castle

3. Trump Plaza Casinos

4. Trump Plaza Hotel 

That requires one success story to fill it out, born to a rich daddy. If that hadn't happened he would be visibly bald, competing for jobs with those Mexican immigrants he hates, and paying street corner hookers to piss on him.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

$438 million and counting in court penalties.

Donny's having a bad start to the year.

The NYAG's office says that today's judgement plus interest (@ 9%) amounts to $450m. 

Lone Striker

Just catching up on the Trump news, and came across this report from Wednesday.  The word "astonishing" doesn't seem adequate to describe the Trumpian upside-down logic  in  coercing his Rep Senators  to vote AGAINST  the thing they thought they wanted.

Forever the narcissist.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-trump-blocked-us-aid-for-ukraine-to-help-his-bid-to-beat-biden-13070916

Footballfirst

Donald Trump is reacting to the judge's ruling with a flurry of posts on his Truth Social platform.

"This 'decision' is a Complete and Total SHAM. There were No Victims, No Damages, No Complaints," he writes. "ELECTION INTERFERENCE. WITCH HUNT."

He rails against Justice Engoron as "partisan, deluded, biased" and "Crooked".

He also slams prosecutor Letitia James, the New York attorney general, as "totally Corrupt" and "Racist".

"I helped New York City during its worst of times, and now, while it is overrun with Violent Biden Migrant Crime, the Radicals are doing all they can to kick me out..."

Trump predicts the decision will be reversed on appeal.

I call :001_9898: BINGO

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just catching up on the Trump news, and came across this report from Wednesday.  The word "astonishing" doesn't seem adequate to describe the Trumpian upside-down logic  in  coercing his Rep Senators  to vote AGAINST  the thing they thought they wanted.

Forever the narcissist.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-trump-blocked-us-aid-for-ukraine-to-help-his-bid-to-beat-biden-13070916

That's all they have.

Blackmailing the nation.

Shutting down everything, even when offered all the things they wanted, so they can say that Biden's administration can't get anything done.

"We'll only pass bills Trump put forward" is a ridiculous stance to take. All of them should lose their jobs for this wildcat strike action.

57 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

1. Trump Steaks

2. GoTrump 

3. Trump Airlines

4. Trump Vodka

5. Trump Mortgage

7. Trump Magazine

8. Trump University

9. Trump Ice 

11. Tour de Trump 

12. Trump Network 

13. Trumped! 

1. Trump Taj Mahal 

2. Trump’s Castle

3. Trump Plaza Casinos

4. Trump Plaza Hotel 

Given that list of failures, banning Trump from running a business in New York for 3 years is probably doing the poor eejit a favour.  :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

He's kinda going a muddy brown now, though.  Any more and he'll look like a H-Block protest.  :eek: :runaway: 

muddy brown you say, he might need to change to a brand that prevents poonamis

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

He's kinda going a muddy brown now, though.  Any more and he'll look like a H-Block protest.  :eek: :runaway: 

I figured it out, some sort of upward seepage from the giant shite filled diaper covering his shite stained arse. Like signs of oil being forced to the surface by gas etc.

He's shitey gross. He would gross out an an H-block.

So Trump has 2 weeks to come up with $355 million, or sell off assets to cover it, or a bondsman willing to guarantee it which would cost Trump even more millions. Providing anyone took the chance with someone who has a long history of not paying debts.

Someone the judge in the case said this about.

"Their complete lack of contrition and remorse borders on pathological," Judge Engoron wrote in an at times scathing 92-page decision.

Later he said: "The frauds found here leap off the page and shock the conscience."

Still, Mr Trump's empire was spared from one of the worst potential outcomes - the cancellation of its business licenses, known as the corporate death penalty.

I'm thinking Trump was spared the cancellation of business licenses because if they did that then anything he has might massively decrease in value, while the court might want to sell it if/when he can't pay up.

Babysitters put in to run the company, he can't as much as write a check for a tip without asking the babysitters for permission, the humiliation as well as the financial hit will be killing him.

Who in the world would want to guarantee a sum like that for Trump of all people, known non payer, convicted fraudster and heading to be convicted jailbird.

‘Borders on pathological’: Michael Cohen reacts to judge trashing Trump in $355 million bomb

crunchy frog
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

So Trump has 2 weeks to come up with $355 million, or sell off assets to cover it, or a bondsman willing to guarantee it which would cost Trump even more millions. Providing anyone took the chance with someone who has a long history of not paying debts.

Someone the judge in the case said this about.

I'm thinking Trump was spared the cancellation of business licenses because if they did that then anything he has might massively decrease in value, while the court might want to sell it if/when he can't pay up.

Babysitters put in to run the company, he can't as much as write a check for a tip without asking the babysitters for permission, the humiliation as well as the financial hit will be killing him.

Who in the world would want to guarantee a sum like that for Trump of all people, known non payer, convicted fraudster and heading to be convicted jailbird.

‘Borders on pathological’: Michael Cohen reacts to judge trashing Trump in $355 million bomb

Interesting watch that, cheers. Cohen speaks well.

I have a hunch this latest development will push Trump closer to breakdown. It's pretty much destroyed his entire façade or brand whatever you want, the way he defines himself. Greatest businessman in the history of the world, except for maybe Henry Ford, but only maybe.

Plus the extravagant boasts about the multi billions he is worth. According to Cohen in the video above Trumps assets in the whole of New York state would at best get him around $120 million, well short of the approaching half a billion total when you throw in the E. Jean Carroll decision.

He's exposed as having never been any great businessman, his entire manufactured persona gone. While at the same time Trump is in a real financial bind he can't waffle his way out of and he's mentally weak.

He's just been revealed and judged to be not fit to run a company, and this is what the GOP would offer as a candidate for president? He can't run a company but he can run the country? He would be better at that?

And if that's not enough he could very well be in a criminal trial in little more than a couple of months.  With all that shit in his tiny never faced accountability for anything brain I think he could visibly struggle to sit in a court for hours 5 days a week.

But even before that I think we're going to see him become if anything even more unhinged. 

Edited by JFK-1