U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Does he need to come up with the money to appeal this chunk of change first too?

Yes, he's in shit. Let's see what happens now.

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga

The really sad thing is it won't change anyone's opinion on him.

His supporters, and there are millions of them, will still back him and if he makes presidential ballot, will vote for him.

If elected to position of president, can he pardon himself?

Mikey1874
44 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

His supporters, and there are millions of them, will still back him and if he makes presidential ballot, will vote for him.

The pardon is uncertain and probably one for the Supreme Court if he gets the chance to do that.

People saying he can't get a pardon for a civil case which was the $355 fraud case.

A good break down of the total he currently owes, over half a billion dollars with still more civil suits to come. Including a calculation of the accruing interest and a damning takedown by New York Attorney General Letitia James,

Lovecraft
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It won't change his rabid supporters, but there will be quite a few "down the middle" Republicans that won't vote for him now, and that's even before the rest of the court cases.

He is now officially a fraudster.

Watt-Zeefuik

This an essential bit for how Trump came to power in the first place and how he's still around.

He makes the Washington established media outlets money and they think he's fun to cover because they treat the whole thing like they're a bunch of sportswriters.

a6bcb66d7321cfb4.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

This an essential bit for how Trump came to power in the first place and how he's still around.

He makes the Washington established media outlets money and they think he's fun to cover because they treat the whole thing like they're a bunch of sportswriters.

a6bcb66d7321cfb4.jpeg

How incredibly ignorant is that, they wish say a Hitler or a Mussolini on the nation and the world? To make their job more 'dramatic'?

It's a bit like a crime reporter saying it's too quiet around here, wish we could get an interesting mass murder or two, maybe a serial rapist, to make my day more interesting.

I want politics to be boring, as it should be, and i'm sure most of us do. Unlike these dumb ****s.

Jim_Duncan
4 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

a6bcb66d7321cfb4.jpeg

Most journos are blood sucking leeches. They have no interest in reporting facts, they want to make a name for themselves. 

Jim_Duncan
On 16/02/2024 at 21:34, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I'm a bit over the "of his time" thing as an excuse for people. He had legislation on his desk to protect native land rights and he vetoed it, contributing to the loss of 90 million acres of their land. There were certainly Presidents before him who were significantly better. It's also notable because he imagined he had Native ancestry (it's possible but likely he didn't), was formally adopted into the tribe by the Lakota (nominally quite a big deal but I get the sense it's a bit like an honorary degree), and made all natives citizens, so that was good, but the "Indian Education Movement" reached its zenith under him, the horrors of which are now finally getting their full recognition.

As for his economic policies, to me they're yet another data point in the growing list of times that "low taxes, laissez-faire economics" has led to an economic crash. I think understanding the limits of government intervention is certainly vital, but at some point I wish we'd collectively learn that lesson.

I haven't heard the podcast. Not a big presidential history buff myself, other than in the service of wishing we'd scale back the oversized powers that the Presidency has ended up with at this point.

I get your point, and appreciate the way you put them.

”of his time” doesn’t excuse everything, of course. But to me it’s so hard to judge the merits - or lack of - of someone whose entire worldview was shaped by a very different era.

On 15/02/2024 at 20:10, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Oh, and they did an overrated and underrated ranking. By my look Obama is the only one to make both lists. :lol:

http://www.brandonrottinghaus.com/uploads/1/0/8/7/108798321/presidential_greatness_white_paper_2024.pdf

image.thumb.png.6e516044f4b1fa8ea7fc70bde7a4ce0e.png

I'm related to a US president on my mothers side, i'm just a little offended he's ranked at 24 Though he was one of those you all decided to whack before he could get a chance to improve his league standing. 😉

President William McKinley which I had bene told was a relation on a number of occasions growing up, but i didn't entirely believe it till much later. Along came the internet and for the first time I was looking at a photo of McKinley and looking back at me was my uncle John, one of my mothers brothers.

He was a ringer for uncle John and that convinced me.

On 15/02/2024 at 20:10, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Oh, and they did an overrated and underrated ranking. By my look Obama is the only one to make both lists. :lol:

http://www.brandonrottinghaus.com/uploads/1/0/8/7/108798321/presidential_greatness_white_paper_2024.pdf

image.thumb.png.6e516044f4b1fa8ea7fc70bde7a4ce0e.png

Actually just got more confirmation. After posting this I looked up his wiki page and right away I saw the first photograph I had ever seen of him and which I recognised as uncle John. That photo is from 1900 when he was 47 and looks comfortably older to me.

Scrolling further down I saw a photo of him at 22 at the end of the civil war in which he fought for the Union. And this version was a ringer for my uncle Andy when I was growing up, another of my mothers brothers.

To elaborate on that my mother had 7 brothers ranging in age from her age right down to my age, I had an uncle just a year older than me and he had brothers who were married with families of their own.

So uncle Andy was  a fair bit younger than uncle John and it's incredible to me that I can see them both in McKinley. Such resemblances must carry on down centuries.

Watt-Zeefuik
10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm related to a US president on my mothers side, i'm just a little offended he's ranked at 24 Though he was one of those you all decided to whack before he could get a chance to improve his league standing. 😉

President William McKinley which I had bene told was a relation on a number of occasions growing up, but i didn't entirely believe it till much later. Along came the internet and for the first time I was looking at a photo of McKinley and looking back at me was my uncle John, one of my mothers brothers.

He was a ringer for uncle John and that convinced me.

He was definitely above average iirc. The guy who shot him was truly not well in the head.

The worst thing he did was kick off the era of American empire. Not good but he succeeded some real wasterels.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

3 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

That's a piss-take, surely. :rofl:

Idiots are now paying thousands for pairs of them. 

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Idiots are now paying thousands for pairs of them. 

Life imitating art in the extreme. :rofl:

7 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

:rofl:

Grifters gonna grift.

just another business for him to fail with

I have set this video to begin as she goes into a section describing Trumps ties with Russia going back to the 1970's during the Soviet era. A quote from it.

"To understand how to exploit the American idiot the Soviets studied his personality. A former KGB Major said it was a charm offensive,  the feeling was that he was extremely vulnerable intellectually, psychologically, and he was prone to flattery. And flatter they did"

I could have wrote that description of Trump myself, i'm sure many of you could have too. Trump the American idiot isn't difficult to read and manipulate, anybody can see that. Or should I say, everybody knows it. Putin most definitely knows it.

3 hours ago, Generic Username said:

Trump not getting the response he was looking for when he tried to punt the stupid gold shoes. I wouldn't walk around wearing that ridiculous shit no matter who was punting them, even if they were free rather than the $400 he's asking for what is probably poor quality crap.

Day@theraces

The US is screwed either way. A senile man clearly with dementia or a crook in Trump. Don't think there were ever two worse candidates in American history.

1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

The US is screwed either way. A senile man clearly with dementia or a crook in Trump. Don't think there were ever two worse candidates in American history.

But at least if Biden gets in there will be a mechanism to replace him when the truth comes out. Trump on the other hand will be replaced by one of his sons in order to keep the dictatorship going. 

9 minutes ago, Canscot said:

But at least if Biden gets in there will be a mechanism to replace him when the truth comes out. Trump on the other hand will be replaced by one of his sons in order to keep the dictatorship going. 

No one around here would claim that in his 80's Biden is the ideal candidate, but he's most definitely not senile, if he is he's been senile most of his life and seems to have managed. It's mindless Trump/MAGA shite being fed to the gullible who parrot it with no validation.

Day@theraces
17 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

No one around here would claim that in his 80's Biden is the ideal candidate, but he's most definitely not senile, if he is he's been senile most of his life and seems to have managed. It's mindless Trump/MAGA shite being fed to the gullible who parrot it with no validation.

Did you not see his last press conference. Looked like his own people hanging him out to dry.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Did you not see his last press conference. Looked like his own people hanging him out to dry.

This one? I'm 2/3 of the way through this and have no idea what you're talking about. Could you point out to a time where you see some kind of cognitive decline? FWIW the Q&A period starts around 12:25 when the prepared remarks end and his answers are specific, on-point, and clearly expressed.

Jim_Duncan
22 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

This one? I'm 2/3 of the way through this and have no idea what you're talking about. Could you point out to a time where you see some kind of cognitive decline? FWIW the Q&A period starts around 12:25 when the prepared remarks end and his answers are specific, on-point, and clearly expressed.

Comes across well. 

18 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Comes across well. 

Doesn't dump in his own pants.

Isn't Putin's bitch.

In fairness, even for an old guy with a bit of a speech impediment, he does seem to have a couple of advantages over the other waffly, pathologically lying, incoherent, treasonous, incontinent candidate.

It'll be close, though.  :laugh: :eek:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Doesn't dump in his own pants.

Isn't Putin's bitch.

In fairness, even for an old guy with a bit of a speech impediment, he does seem to have a couple of advantages over the other waffly, pathologically lying, incoherent, treasonous, incontinent candidate.

It'll be close, though.  :laugh: :eek:

You missed out rapist.

Watt-Zeefuik

The Xitter account "NY Times Pitchbot" has been a great parody account for years now, making fake versions of the kinds of stupid stories the NY Times publishes, often in the name of "balance" or some other shit. (And sometimes the NYT outdoes them in parody and they just screenshot them and retweet them.)

This is a classic:

"It’s too bad Biden is so old because if he were younger, there’s no way people would just say they wouldn’t vote for him because he looks French or sighs too much or looks funny in a tank or is friends with Bill Ayres or uses a private email server."

CavySlaveJambo

Has any one seen this before? A lawyer ranking all Trump’s US lawyers 
F tier….  

Day@theraces
2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Meant the one from a week or so back where he didn't seem to have a sheet to read off

3 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Who told you that? Fox?  How many times do I need to say this, if Biden were actually showing signs of senility making him unfit to be president I for one would be all over it, I would be insisting something should be done.

He isn't, Fox etc. say it and the likes of you parrot it, with nothing to substantiate it. You have been hung out to dry. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Day@theraces said:

Meant the one from a week or so back where he didn't seem to have a sheet to read off

I'm not entirely sure what sheet he was reading off of when he took questions there but sure, do you have a link to the video of the full news conference?

Day@theraces

Don't know how to post YouTube videos on here on the my phone. It's the one where he talks about Gaza and opening borders then said he talked to the President of Mexico about it, getting him mixed up with Israel.

Day@theraces

And why is Fox any different to any other network. They all have political leanings to a certain party. I'll become tech savvy and post the videos when I can. Can obviously see this thread is left leaning as is the majority of the internet.

5 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

And why is Fox any different to any other network. They all have political leanings to a certain party. I'll become tech savvy and post the videos when I can. Can obviously see this thread is left leaning as is the majority of the internet.

If you mean the majority on this thread don't want a racist rapist heading the 'so called' most powerful country on the planet then your probably right. Of course there are a couple of flat earthers to back you up

12 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

And why is Fox any different to any other network.

Are you for real? Okay how many others have been fined almost $800 million for knowingly lying and admitting to knowingly lying? With more cases to come.

You're being a useful idiot for them, they lie, they know it, you parrot it anyway. Carry on, we all know it so it has little effect here. People here aren't as gullible as you appear to be.

Asking what's the difference between Fox and others is actually a good joke, I must use it someplace.

Day@theraces
33 minutes ago, XB52 said:

If you mean the majority on this thread don't want a racist rapist heading the 'so called' most powerful country on the planet then your probably right. Of course there are a couple of flat earthers to back you up

Not a flat earther, just don't see the love in over a senile man heading the so called most powerful country. Although he's no likely just the mouth piece to wheel out whilst others in the Democrats make the decisions.

Day@theraces
26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Are you for real? Okay how many others have been fined almost $800 million for knowingly lying and admitting to knowingly lying? With more cases to come.

You're being a useful idiot for them, they lie, they know it, you parrot it anyway. Carry on, we all know it so it has little effect here. People here aren't as gullible as you appear to be.

Asking what's the difference between Fox and others is actually a good joke, I must use it someplace.

I'm not a fan of Fox or the liberal leaning news networks. Just find this thread amusing and how many of the posters on here would happily have Boden back as president. Surely the Democrats have a better candidate.

2 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Surely the Democrats have a better candidate.

Ah, here.  If the Democrats put up @JFK-1, or @Watt-Zeefuik, or heaven help them even you or me, they'd still have a better candidate than the Republicans have.  Even if they hit us over the head with shovels first.  Repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

You missed out rapist.

Indeed.  I'm not on top of my game today.  :ninja: 

Watt-Zeefuik
49 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Don't know how to post YouTube videos on here on the my phone. It's the one where he talks about Gaza and opening borders then said he talked to the President of Mexico about it, getting him mixed up with Israel.

If you don't mind, here's the White House's YouTube channel. These are the full un-edited news conferences so you don't get editing bias. If you could just point to which one you mean, that'd be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos

Biden absolutely mixes up words and says the wrong thing, but what's frustrating about this is that he's been doing that since the 70s. He's famous for it in US political circles. I keep hearing about his obvious cognitive decline and it's something I'd be worried about but every time I go looking for it it's just Joe Biden being the same Joe Biden he's always been, for good and ill, just talking a tad bit slower.

45 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

The thing is there's no real liberal equivalent to Fox, where the entire commentary apparatus as well as the management structure and the editing of the news is effectively a wing of the Democratic party the way Fox basically is a wing of the Republican party. (Sean Hannity is literally a regular unpaid advisor to Trump.) The closest thing is MSNBC, and their morning show host is a retired Republican Congressman. The rest of the cable networks all aim for some kind of bullshit sense of "balance" or, like CNBC, just lean to a "pro-business" angle which usually favors Republicans too.

But to me the real answer is there's no good 24 hour cable news network and never will be. The entire premise is ridiculous. The closest thing to something worthwhile is CSPAN because at least they're just showing the everyday workings of Congress on the regular and it's hardly riveting viewing.

But Fox in particular is untrustworthy for things like videos because they actively edit things to make them look worse for Democrats. This isn't even a controversial statement, the Murdoch family is on public record about how they're trying to do this on the regular. That's why I'm pointing to the un-edited videos, because often times you see something on Fox that looks absolutely horrific and you get 15 seconds more context and it's clear they chopped it for effect.

10 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Not a flat earther, just don't see the love in over a senile man heading the so called most powerful country. Although he's no likely just the mouth piece to wheel out whilst others in the Democrats make the decisions.

We have a live one here!Can't even work a phone and accuses Joe of being senile😜

il Duce McTarkin
22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ah, here.  If the Democrats put up @JFK-1, or @Watt-Zeefuik, or heaven help them even you or me, they'd still have a better candidate than the Republicans have.  Even if they hit us over the head with shovels first.  Repeatedly.

Debatable.

2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Debatable.

Repeatedly.  Big heavy shovels.  This is not even up for debate.  Even if they cut Biden's head off and replaced it with a watermelon, he'd still be a better candidate than Russian agent chickpee poopypants guy.  Even if the watermelon wasn't a Democrat.

Watt-Zeefuik
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Repeatedly.  Big heavy shovels.  This is not even up for debate.  Even if they cut Biden's head off and replaced it with a watermelon, he'd still be a better candidate than Russian agent chickpee poopypants guy.  Even if the watermelon wasn't a Democrat.

Before Trump, George W. Bush was absolutely the worst President of my lifetime and as ill as it would make me, if it was just GWB and DJT on the ballot, I wouldn't think twice about which one I was voting for. No hesitation.

Just now, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Before Trump, George W. Bush was absolutely the worst President of my lifetime and as ill as it would make me, if it was just GWB and DJT on the ballot, I wouldn't think twice about which one I was voting for. No hesitation.

It helps when a candidate - no matter how awful he or she is - isn't a traitor to the country they want to govern.  :eek: 

33 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

I'm not a fan of Fox or the liberal leaning news networks. Just find this thread amusing and how many of the posters on here would happily have Boden back as president. Surely the Democrats have a better candidate.

I think you're acting senile. You come in here parroting Fox lines, then when told it's a Fox line you shift to so what's wrong with Fox? Then when told they're knowing and admitted liars fined almost $800 million you act like that never happened, or forgot it as quickly as it passed over the screen, and are suddenly not a fan of Fox at all.

If Biden were all over the place like that, I would be asking questions, Fox would be screaming senile, and you would likely be parroting it. And not a fan of 'liberal leaning news networks'  either? Despite the fact they're not in court for mass lying.  

What do you mean a fan? I'm not a fan of BBC news, I simply read news FFS, i'm not whooping or booing either. Does it need to entertain you in some way? Or simply be something you want to hear? If reality isn't what you want to hear then you're not a fan?

I don't actually want to hear a lot of it, at all, i'm 'not a fan' of reality either, but I can't pretend it doesn't exist by listening to an alternate reality that really doesn't exist. 

So where does someone like you actually get news? Got a guy on twitter? Facebook? An in ITK guy who gives you the real deal these global news hounds can't?

Listen to me, i'm trying to introduce you to reality. Biden is old, he is not senile, I guarantee you that. So take a step into reality by accepting this fact, he isn't senile.

So from there, somebody better than him you say, better how? Younger? What's better about that other than they're less likely to die in their sleep one night?

This job isn't an athletic event, if anything it's more akin to sitting at a table playing chess all day, Trump sat watching Fox all day, he is a fan. So again, what do you mean better than Biden?

At this time of international crisis and the insanity of the MAGA simpletons on the domestic front,  I can think of no one better because I can think of no one who has the experience he has.

And I don't know if anyone else could have dragged the country out of the disaster Trump left it it in to become the top performing major economy in the world. Leaving Europe trailing in their wake.

Here's a prediction, you don't even know what you mean by someone better, it's just another line you picked up. And to be fair it's a line others even on the democratic side have fallen for with little to no thought.

If anything their only valid complaint is that people say he's too old no matter how great a job he does. Which isn't the best optics but right now I don't give the proverbial flying about that, just the end product which is breaking records.