U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hearing on CNN that house Democrats are requesting that Trump testify at his trial, it is very unlikely to happen as Trump doesn't want to appear, however the Senate seemingly can subpoena Trump to testify and all it takes is a simple majority, which the Democrats hold.

Get the popcorn ordered as this is gonna be good, if Trump is forced to testify at his own trial, hopefully he'll have Giuliani with him and the both of them will talk themselves into jail time.

:glorious:

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a week ago it was reported on a couple of stations that two Capitol Police officers had committed suicide. No reasons given, it seems strange that one would do such a thing out of trauma, frightening as it was, and also that no follow up reports have come to my attention.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

About a week ago it was reported on a couple of stations that two Capitol Police officers had committed suicide. No reasons given, it seems strange that one would do such a thing out of trauma, frightening as it was, and also that no follow up reports have come to my attention.

A few days after the insurrection it was reported that a Capitol Police Officer committed suicide.

I don’t know any more details.

Probably on Google somewhere.

Kalamazoo Jambo
23 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:facepalm:

Marjorie Taylor Greene has been stripped of her committee assignments by a House vote that had 11 Republicans voting with the Democrats.

15 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene has been stripped of her committee assignments by a House vote that had 11 Republicans voting with the Democrats.

But there were about 200 Republicans who voted against removing her from the committees.

I think the time has come that we stop considering fanatics like Greene to be the fringe of the Republican party, but rather they are the future of the Republican Party.

I learned in life that the best time to attack a group was when they were having internal disputes and attacking each other, again I say people like Russia,China, Iran  and others with whom the United States have political and economic differences are watching with interest and waiting for the probable weaknesses of defence are incurred. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

But there were about 200 Republicans who voted against removing her from the committees.

I think the time has come that we stop considering fanatics like Greene to be the fringe of the Republican party, but rather they are the future of the Republican Party.

In any normal universe GOP House leadership would have handled this internally by removing Marjorie Taylor Greene from committees, but they refused. Kevin McCarthy in particular should be ashamed. So the Democrats didn't really have much choice but to create a precedent that was always going to be used in bad faith against them (see Cade's post about Ilhan Omar). There is NO-ONE on the Democratic side of the aisle who is remotely as dangerous as MTG, and anyone suggesting otherwise is indulging in ridiculous false equivalence.

What is interesting is that in the GOP House vote to remove Liz Cheney, which was a secret vote, only 61 GOP representatives voted to remove her from leadership with 145 voting to keep her. So that shows there's 61 full-on Trumpists in the House ranks. A lot of the 145 are just cowards who fear getting primaried from the right, and who would have voted differently if the vote was public.  Remember that 147 GOP reps publicly voted to overturn the legitimate results of the Presidential election.

So yeah, the Republican party is lost to culture wars, white victimhood and conspiracy theories. Not helped by leaders who don't really believe in this nonsense but go with it for political expedience. It's not a fever that broke when Trump left office.

I fully expect my own House Rep, Fred Upton, to retire in 2 years as he has no future in the Republican Party after voting to accept the legitimate election results, to impeach Trump, and to strip Marjorie Taylor Greene of her committee assignments.

I don't see this as setting a risky precedent. If the Democrats had such a loony tune in their ranks and holding the same position as this loony tune they would remove said crackpot themselves. Where's the risk?

The fact the Republicans are not removing this loon themselves is to me more detrimental to them than any Dem moves to get her out could ever be to the Dems.

It demonstrates to the nation that we, the GOP, really are the party of crazy. A national and international joke. Though unfortunately not a funny joke.

Lou Dobbs of Fox Business news, one of Trump's biggest boot lickers, has been fired.

He has recently been named in a $2.7 billion lawsuit for defamation of a tech company involved in the election.  He's just the latest Republican who thinks it's OK to make any outrageous comment he pleases, even if it's bullshit, but thinks he's protected under the First Amendment.

The on-air comment by Dobbs that made me laugh out loud was when he said "We've looked everywhere for fraud and we just can't find it!"  That's because it doesn't exist, you gullible clown.

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Greene “It’s Trump’s Party, no one else’s.”

:vrface:

The tears and snotters through the seethe is.....

:pleasing:

And there you have it, how far many in the GOP have fallen into the clutches of the Cult of Trump.

A political party doesn't belong to one single person, a cult does though and this is what many in the GOP are unable to realise.

A split is coming, it has to, it is the only way that the GOP can survive as a political party, they and the cultists have to part ways and it probably won't be amicable either. 

If the Republican party ever want to govern again, then they really need to start distancing themselves from Trump and the sooner the better, let the cultists leave and form their own party, because there will be plenty of time for all but the real hardcore cultists to come back into the Republican fold before the next election or two, but they do need to act quickly.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And there you have it, how far many in the GOP have fallen into the clutches of the Cult of Trump.

A political party doesn't belong to one single person, a cult does though and this is what many in the GOP are unable to realise.

A split is coming, it has to, it is the only way that the GOP can survive as a political party, they and the cultists have to part ways and it probably won't be amicable either. 

If the Republican party ever want to govern again, then they really need to start distancing themselves from Trump and the sooner the better, let the cultists leave and form their own party, because there will be plenty of time for all but the real hardcore cultists to come back into the Republican fold before the next election or two, but they do need to act quickly.

Good post.

Kayleigh McEnany who was Trump’s WH press secretary.

At a daily briefing called it “The Movement.” Which I though was quite telling.

It looks like things will get worse before it gets better.

Biden cancels US military aid to Saudi Arabia.

also reverses the bonkers decision to declare the entire Houthi people as a terrorist organisation.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Biden cancels US military aid to Saudi Arabia.

also reverses the bonkers decision to declare the entire Houthi people as a terrorist organisation.

Good news but would be even better if he cancelled the aid to Israel, not that that will ever happen 

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Good news but would be even better if he cancelled the aid to Israel, not that that will ever happen 

International Criminal Court has ruled that it can (and will) pursue War Crimes prosecutions in occupied Palestinian lands despite Israel's protests.
USA is silent on the matter. Which speaks volumes.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

I agree but with Israel that would be a step to far the USA.

On 05/02/2021 at 23:20, The Real Maroonblood said:

Greene “It’s Trump’s Party, no one else’s.”

:vrface:

The tears and snotters through the seethe is.....

:pleasing:

May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says "Jon Cooper @joncoopertweets A QAnon conspiracy theorist, a racist and an anti-Semite walk into a bar. Bartender says, "What'll you have, Congresswoman Greene?" 5:03 PM 2/4/21・ Twitter for iPhone"

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says "Jon Cooper @joncoopertweets A QAnon conspiracy theorist, a racist and an anti-Semite walk into a bar. Bartender says, "What'll you have, Congresswoman Greene?" 5:03 PM 2/4/21・ Twitter for iPhone"

:lol:

An ex Trump WH official was on CNN yesterday she was still referring to Trump as “President Trump.”

46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:lol:

An ex Trump WH official was on CNN yesterday she was still referring to Trump as “President Trump.”

I think it's common to refer to previous incumbents as president. Though in the case of Trump as we know there are uncommon sinister undertones. 

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think it's common to refer to previous incumbents as president. Though in the case of Trump as we know there are uncommon sinister undertones. 

Maybe a Freudian slip.😉

27 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Needs this so that there is a small element of hope the GOP may have a re-think and US may return to a sense of normality.

That's surprising, to say the least!  but they shouldn't get their hopes up; Trump will not be convicted.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's surprising, to say the least!  but they shouldn't get their hopes up; Trump will not be convicted.

I doubt he will but if GOP sense where majority of nation sits, then it may force them in to changing tact as to where votes are to be more likely lost than gained.

32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

He's still being investigated for state crimes by state attorneys in SDNY so plenty of hope yet - he doesn't have immunity from prosecution for such crimes. 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

I doubt he will but if GOP sense where majority of nation sits, then it may force them in to changing tact as to where votes are to be more likely lost than gained.

42 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He's still being investigated for state crimes by state attorneys in SDNY so plenty of hope yet - he doesn't have immunity from prosecution for such crimes. 

Yes, there's mileage in this thing yet.  The impeachment trial next week will produce lots of hot air and considerable damning evidence, but will result in acquittal.  imo, it won't be close, maybe a pitiful 52-48 for conviction.

But what will be interesting is what happens after that.  If the Republicans adopt the position that Trump cannot be tried by the Senate because he's no longer President, will the Department of Justice charge Trump as a private citizen?  Will an acquittal cause the SDNY to ramp up its efforts?

One thing seems likely ... this drama will still be playing out long after the mighty HMFC have locked up the Championship!

Kalamazoo Jambo
11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, there's mileage in this thing yet.  The impeachment trial next week will produce lots of hot air and considerable damning evidence, but will result in acquittal.  imo, it won't be close, maybe a pitiful 52-48 for conviction.

But what will be interesting is what happens after that.  If the Republicans adopt the position that Trump cannot be tried by the Senate because he's no longer President, will the Department of Justice charge Trump as a private citizen?  Will an acquittal cause the SDNY to ramp up its efforts?

One thing seems likely ... this drama will still be playing out long after the mighty HMFC have locked up the Championship!

Best guess on my part is 54 votes for conviction with Murkowski, Romney, Sasse and Toomey voting with Dems. Collins is possible but not convinced she has a spine.

The Senate will Acquit.

Then the fun moves on to the various States (not just New York) that are building cases against Trump and his family and most of his more high profile toadies.

Those that can will run and leave the country.

Due to Trump being a former President, he has Secret Service protection for life, so he can't just disappear off anywhere without them knowing.

Same goes for his kids.

Next few years will be fun, but hopefully not too much of a distraction.

Keeping him in the news benefits nobody but himself and his acolytes, even if it's his trial being on TV.

Kalamazoo Jambo
50 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Senate will Acquit.

Then the fun moves on to the various States (not just New York) that are building cases against Trump and his family and most of his more high profile toadies.

Those that can will run and leave the country.

Due to Trump being a former President, he has Secret Service protection for life, so he can't just disappear off anywhere without them knowing.

Same goes for his kids.

Next few years will be fun, but hopefully not too much of a distraction.

Keeping him in the news benefits nobody but himself and his acolytes, even if it's his trial being on TV.

Former Presidents get Secret Service protection for life but that’s not true for their adult children. Most recent reporting had Ivanka et al getting six months of additional protection. Also, I imagine Trump could relinquish the protection as Nixon did in 1985. Just don’t that’s likely.

It's interesting and even encouraging that 56% of the nation think Trump should be convicted. Of course that will likely make no difference to the ultimate outcome. The GOP are not representative of the majority of the nation.

I think over the past 9 presidential elections they won the popular vote just once. What's up with that? FUBAR!

The nation is being held hostage by a minority which is becoming ever more crazy. Find me a fire starting space laser to aim at Trumps flammable hairspray soaked head.

Christopher Hitchens once said that Trumps Greatest achievement was that he could cover 90% of his head with 30% of hair.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

It's interesting and even encouraging that 56% of the nation think Trump should be convicted. Of course that will likely make no difference to the ultimate outcome. The GOP are not representative of the majority of the nation.

I think over the past 9 presidential elections they won the popular vote just once. What's up with that? FUBAR!

The nation is being held hostage by a minority which is becoming ever more crazy. Find me a fire starting space laser to aim at Trumps flammable hairspray soaked head.

Christopher Hitchens once said that Trumps Greatest achievement was that he could cover 90% of his head with 30% of hair.

Your last sentence made me laugh.

However now he holds no office but is still controlling the GOP.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

So utterly pathetic yet so utterly predictable.

To be fair, means testing isn't always a bad thing. It just depends on how low they set the limit. Knowing the States though, I bet that limit is going to be pretty ****ing low. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

To be fair, means testing isn't always a bad thing. It just depends on how low they set the limit. Knowing the States though, I bet that limit is going to be pretty ****ing low. 

Yeah I don't disagree in a vacuum, but their promise was that if voters turned out for the Dems and won them Georgia, there would be $2,000 checks out the door to everyone straight away.

Nobody in desperate need of these checks cares why there's a delay, they're just barely hanging onto survival at this point, and remembering the thanks they've gotten.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)