• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:pray::pray::pray:

I just wish there had been some motivation to my guess other than "wanting to be different". :D

If Trump were still on Twitter, I would have been interested to see what his reaction was, but his removal from the platform has almost effectively silenced him, for the moment anyway. The next move is probably his...

26 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

57-43 final vote. Trump acquitted as a guilty verdict needed 67, nonetheless 7 Republicans voting with Democrats was significant.

So...lose the popular vote but still win. Sure I've heard that before somewhere...

Footballfirst

You should listen to Republican leader Mitch McConnell's speech following the vote.  He voted to acquit, but proceeded to rip into Trump's conduct.  His reason for voting to acquit is simply that Trump is no longer the president. 

I thought that argument had been debunked by multiple legal scholars including many republicans. 

"Our historic, patriotic and beautiful movement to Make America Great Again has only just begun.

In the months ahead, I have much to share with you, and I look forward to continuing our incredible journey together to achieve American greatness for all of our people.

There has never been anything like it"

giphy-downsized.gif

Footballfirst
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If Trump were still on Twitter, I would have been interested to see what his reaction was, but his removal from the platform has almost effectively silenced him, for the moment anyway. The next move is probably his...

He would claim an landslide victory in the Senate, just like on November 3rd.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You should listen to Republican leader Mitch McConnell's speech following the vote.  He voted to acquit, but proceeded to rip into Trump's conduct.  His reason for voting to acquit is simply that Trump is no longer the president. 

I thought that argument had been debunked by multiple legal scholars including many republicans. 

He's just another coward. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He could have also agreed to have the trial before Trump left office.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

He could have also agreed to have the trial before Trump left office.

It took him over a month to acknowledge Biden's victory.

Says it all about him.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

:lol:

Brilliant. Procedural motions allowing Mitch to block things in Senate business still, allowed by Democrat failings under Obama and strengthened under Trump, gives you exactly what you get.

Seymour was also correct. A Circus show, shown up (despite its obvious merits) for what it is. Nothing will change under Biden. Patently obvious, given the first hurdle has been smashed into head first.

What a pity for millions of Americans.

Screenshot_20210213-203544_Twitter.jpg

I have taken this post under advisabledeness from my associate law professor blokey from the USA who is up on said matters and he says 

Pres has this spot on amongst other posts

Let's see if the court system goes after Trump for his alleged crimes, which McConnell says is on the table.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

For those not on Twitter

What a lot of pish. 

Sadly the neanderthals will lap it up.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Doubt it. There are a lot of long words and correct sentences.

They'll see Make America Great Again. But skip over the rest.

:lol:

Peak democracy is 43% of the Senate, representing 30% of the population, acquitting a president who was elected with 46% of the vote. 46% of the vote.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Peak democracy is 43% of the Senate, representing 30% of the population, acquitting a president who was elected with 46% of the vote. 46% of the vote.

Laughable. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly the point.

Yeah.

Gravel Institute spitting fire tonight, but something so simple could never possibly happen under the Dems.

Good point made at the end if Donald Trump still had 2 years to run would he have been convicted I say yes, the fact he is no longer president made it easier to dismiss 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah.

Gravel Institute spitting fire tonight, but something so simple could never possibly happen under the Dems.

I hope it does work out.

The Americans need some stability after 4 years  of him in charge.

A Boy Named Crow

Something I'd like to know,  maybe someone on here can help,  is what's the rough split of the 76 million people who voted Trump, 

between traditional Republicans and the swivel eyes Trumpists?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Biden is President; Trump acquitted

Today was not the end today was the beginning. Trump in that Twitter feed is just carrying on appealing to the people he knows will follow him. sadly for me my former profession, at least those in the United States will act for him for job security that after the Floyd incident and police actions were in danger of being defunded with responsibilities being funded elsewhere. He has been given free rein to say what he wants, direct what he wants , and will sometime in less than four years probably reasonably sooner institute his actions of threat, violence, and anarchy to become the non elected but chosen President for life. Sounds like a script for a fantasy movie, but I honestly feel and believe every word I have said. In the past the situation was ruled by people wearing brown shirts, the police and courts became part of the plan, violence cruelty and weak politicians all contributing to the ultimate success. What part of the predictions and history do you see that haven't before existed. The similarities are frightening, the two men one ridiculed because of a funny hair style and a funny wee moustache, who stood and spouted what he would do for the Country, the other a funny big man, with a funny hairstyle, who states what he will do for the Country, his first move build a wall, to keep people out, say that another Country will pay for it but that doesn't happen. Camps, oh we have heard of those before for people seeking asylum, well camp staff and border policing and the wall all create jobs, so a promise made is a promise kept. There are lots of similes but enough  is enough.

So what is the protection offered to Americans, an elderly gentleman who took almost thirty years of trying to get the job he now has, a nice guy, but he just doesn't for me have the pizazz that is required to overcome the bad odor left in the White House by his predecessor,  my opinion for which I would be lucky to get a nickel for is that  he was seen by the Party the ideal mentor for a younger woman of mixed racial background to become the first person of that description to become President of the United States, and I again opine that would be in the 2024 election.

Kalamazoo Jambo

In other news, Deputy White House Press Secretary TJ Ducklo has resigned after some pretty shocking misogynistic / threatening behavior towards Politico reporter Tara Palmeri.

The initial White House response had been poor, IMO (one week suspension and told not to work with Politico, and this only after news of the incident became public). Especially so after Biden had made it clear that inappropriate behaviour from anyone on his team should lead to firing. But the kicker is that Ducklo has stage 4 cancer so I’m guessing continuation of health insurance coverage was on people’s minds (yay America). Anyway, ultimately he had to go, just wish it had been handled better.

5 hours ago, Barack said:

Think it's about 7 out of 10 still approved of Trump, after the Capitol attack. 

The utter looney tunes, are probably in the low hundreds of thousands.

It's over 8 out of 10, unfortunately. And oh man, I wish only low hundreds of thousands—nah, several million, if not in the tens:

Though Trump has reportedly abandoned his threat to establish a third-party “Patriot Party” to challenge Republicans, 30% of Republican voters and 35% of Trump voters said they’d be open to joining the party if he did start it.

5 hours ago, Barack said:

Trumpism in one form or another, will be on the ticket in 2024. Could be Hawley or Cruz desperately trying to pull some back. (Can't see it mind.)Just depends in what manner, if any State DA and Court goes after him and his offspring. First up: SDNY & Letitia James.

Calling it now, whatever form of Trumpism is on the presidential ballot in 2024, Kamala Harris will lose to it, and liberals will blame Bernie Bros. There's a reason liberals have been historically referred to as fascism enablers.

Edited by Justin Z

And people think the justice system is fair. It's a  Slam dunk he's guilty, how many people innocent and guilty have had the wrong result due to the people sitting in the seats of the jury and judge. Pathetic and at least Russia and China don't even try to convince the world they play fair. 

chuck berrys hairline

The Republicans should let Candace Owens run next time. The Dems would have nothing on her would be glorious seeing them scuttling around confused. A strong BLACK woman who stands her ground. Not flip floppy like xxxxxx Harris

It's been mentioned many times about the similarities between Trump et al and the rise of Hitler & the Nazi's in 30's Germany.

Well there's more similarities than even I'd thought.

In light of yesterday's events in the senate, Trump & Hitler were both charged with insurrection, although Hitler was convicted & jailed for it.

When Hitler became chancellor he said that he wouldn't take a salary and would donate it all to charity, Trump did the same.

Hitler was a tax dodger, filing only one tax return in all the years he was chancellor, in fact he changed the law to make himself exempt from taxes, Trump as everybody knows is also no stranger to the lack of submitting tax returns or indeed paying tax.

My fear is that this aquital is only going to embolden Trump all the more, he now knows that he can get away with trying to overthrow the government, he and many others will be much better prepared the next time they try this, they won't make the same mistakes again.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

21 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

The Republicans should let Candace Owens run next time. The Dems would have nothing on her would be glorious seeing them scuttling around confused. A strong BLACK woman who stands her ground. Not flip floppy like [redacted] Harris

:Aye:

Every Receipt Proving Candace Owens Is A Con Artist Who Is Following The Money

I think my favourite “flip-flop” of Owens is calling the NAACP “one of the worst groups for Black people” even though she used them to win a racial discrimination lawsuit over a dozen years ago. The Connecticut NAACP president that helped on the case said, “It’s the same type of thing Clarence Thomas did. He reaped all the benefits of affirmative action and then tried to roll over on it. It’s that kind of mentality and disrespect.”

Within only a few years, Owens had two failed internet projects, didn’t pay rent and then somehow became a conservative, landing a job at Turning Point USA. She is now known for outlandish language. She said Hitler only wanted to make Germany “great again.”

After the horrific mail bombs sent to Democrats back in October, she tweeted then deleted, “I’m going to go ahead and state that there is a 0% chance that these ‘suspicious packages’ were sent out by conservatives. The only thing ‘suspicious’ about these packages is their timing. Caravans, fake bomb threats—these leftists are going ALL OUT for midterms.”

There are true conservatives out there who have been involved in politics for years, but Owens does not appear to be one of them. She is clearly in this for fame, attention and is following the money.

3 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

The Republicans should let Candace Owens run next time. The Dems would have nothing on her would be glorious seeing them scuttling around confused. A strong BLACK woman who stands her ground. Not flip floppy like xxxxxxxx Harris

They just need to show her Joe rogan appearance. :rofl:A fecking crackpot. 

52 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

There are true conservatives out there who have been involved in politics for years

Are they any more rational than any other Republicans? Here we have John Oliver trying to reason with US Republicans while comparing their mindset to their Australian equivalent.

1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

The Republicans should let Candace Owens run next time. The Dems would have nothing on her would be glorious seeing them scuttling around confused. A strong BLACK woman who stands her ground. Not flip floppy like Cameltoe Harris

There's standing your ground with a level of knowledge and confidence in the research you do on both sides of the argument that allows you to have an opinion. 

Then there's this

A Boy Named Crow
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

There's standing your ground with a level of knowledge and confidence in the research you do on both sides of the argument that allows you to have an opinion. 

Then there's this

Given the events of the last five years over there,  you've got to think she'd have a solid crack at the White House...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

1 minute ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Given the events of the last five years over there,  you've got to think she's have a solid crack at the White House...

More than likely. America needs a true Champion, Atm. Or maybe it should just split and become smaller. Smaller states are better, anyway. 

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Given the events of the last five years over there,  you've got to think she'd have a solid crack at the White House...

Sexist post imo. :oohmatron::lol:

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's been mentioned many times about the similarities between Trump et al and the rise of Hitler & the Nazi's in 30's Germany.

Well there's more similarities than even I'd thought.

In light of yesterday's events in the senate, Trump & Hitler were both charged with insurrection, although Hitler was convicted & jailed for it.

When Hitler became chancellor he said that he wouldn't take a salary and would donate it all to charity, Trump did the same.

Hitler was a tax dodger, filing only one tax return in all the years he was chancellor, in fact he changed the law to make himself exempt from taxes, Trump as everybody knows is also no stranger to the lack of submitting tax returns or indeed paying tax.

My fear is that this aquital is only going to embolden Trump all the more, he now knows that he can get away with trying to overthrow the government, he and many others will be much better prepared the next time they try this, they won't make the same mistakes again.

Relative strength of armed forces (Germany/US) ?  And allegiance?  A small comfort that came from the recent events was each arm of the  forces stating their obligation to defend the constitution if it came to it.

The preparedness argument works both ways. Security forces have had their warning 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Then there's this

She's a muppet. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Then there's this

She didn't know the difference between climate and weather.  :conf11:

43 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Relative strength of armed forces (Germany/US) ?  And allegiance?  A small comfort that came from the recent events was each arm of the  forces stating their obligation to defend the constitution if it came to it.

The preparedness argument works both ways. Security forces have had their warning 

It's not so much an outright attack on the Capitol building etc I was thinking about, it's more that if Trump or one of his acolytes gets into power again, they will know what needs to be done, so that they remain in power.

Reading back I could have worded my previous post better to make it clear what I was meaning.

Yesterday's result has only given an egotistical meglomaniacal narcissist a boost to their own self-importance, that they have beaten the 'establishment' twice and will only have served to prove to Trump himself and many of his supporters that he must be special, some even think 'god' sent him, this result yesterday will only confirm it, for some.

America had the chance to put the 'Cult of Trump' back in it's box, it has failed to do so, I just hope America doesn't pay a heavy price in the future for cacking it yesterday.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

And people think the justice system is fair. It's a  Slam dunk he's guilty, how many people innocent and guilty have had the wrong result due to the people sitting in the seats of the jury and judge. Pathetic and at least Russia and China don't even try to convince the world they play fair. 

Your point is fine but it was an Impeachment not a criminal or Civil Court rules of evidence and procedure. It is a total travesty if they use the word Justice when referring to the process. McConnel summed it up perfectly, he stated after the acquittal for which he voted  that Trump was not guilty of all matters in the Impeachment but that venue was not where the action should have been taken

While a conviction would have been the ideal it's still by no means a win for Trump. I expect there to be civil law suits brought against him by the likes of the families of those who died during the Trump directed attack on the Capitol.

And what will the lawyers of those families say in court? Well for one thing they're pretty certain to quote the words of Republican senate minority leader Mitch McConnell.

American citizens attacked their own government. They used terrorism to try to stop a specific piece of democratic business they did not like.

Fellow Americans beat and bloodied our own police. They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the Speaker of the House.

They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the Vice President. They did this because they had been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth — because he was angry he'd lost an election.

The House accused the former President of, quote, 'incitement.' That is a specific term from the criminal law.
Let me put that to the side for one moment and reiterate something I said weeks ago:

There is no question that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of that day.

Trump wont so easily wriggle out of that when faced with a non loaded jury. And another fact is that a majority of the senate still voted to convict him while an even bigger majority of the nation think he should have been convicted.

This demonstrates to federal and state prosecutors that bringing criminal charges against Trump is politically safe.

Again, this was no win for Trump. And the value in carrying out the procedure regardless of the reality we all knew how it would end lies in these facts.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)