U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Geoff Kilpatrick

Except Christian and Jewish fundamentalists tend to shy away from sawing peoples heads off these days.

Perhaps because Jews and Christians tend to live in countries where democracy and the rule of law applies.

Theocracies aren't a recipe for good behaviour. Getting back to Trump, he didn't ban the ultimate theocracy - Saudi Arabia. Why do you think that is?

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert

BC News coverage devoted a chunk of time to a family from Beirut who were planning to make a new life in the US and had spent their entire savings on the air fare to the US. They were travelling on a Visitors Visa which of course confers no entitlement to "make a new life" in the USA. The story had more holes than Rab Nesbitt's vest but the BBC reported  it without any question. They'd found their tearful victim.

The great Mo Farah scare also seems to have been baseless. The only risk to his entry to the US is his close association with drug cheats in his sport.

Are these examples of "alt truth" or "fake news"? Or does that just work one way?

Geoff Kilpatrick

BC News coverage devoted a chunk of time to a family from Beirut who were planning to make a new life in the US and had spent their entire savings on the air fare to the US. They were travelling on a Visitors Visa which of course confers no entitlement to "make a new life" in the USA. The story had more holes than Rab Nesbitt's vest but the BBC reported it without any question. They'd found their tearful victim.

The great Mo Farah scare also seems to have been baseless. The only risk to his entry to the US is his close association with drug cheats in his sport.

Are these examples of "alt truth" or "fake news"? Or does that just work one way?

The Mo Farah story was genuine until the dual national clarification for Britons. Agree with you on the first point.

Perhaps because Jews and Christians tend to live in countries where democracy and the rule of law applies.

Theocracies aren't a recipe for good behaviour. Getting back to Trump, he didn't ban the ultimate theocracy - Saudi Arabia. Why do you think that is?

Yeah, veering off-topic slightly. Quite nauseating and totally hypocritical how cozy the western world is with that shower of shite but money talks and greed listens, unfortunately.

AlphonseCapone

What's wrong with reading books?

Nothing, I love reading.

I just don't believe for a second you've read the whole Qur'an, let alone understood it's meanings.

This will go over a few posters heads but at least it's worth a go.

a3c07f3aff366d4f5f08355a29b95f44.jpg

Zero Americans killed by Iraqi citizens between 1975 and 2015?!?

Presumably these stats are referring to deaths on US soil?

BC News coverage devoted a chunk of time to a family from Beirut who were planning to make a new life in the US and had spent their entire savings on the air fare to the US. They were travelling on a Visitors Visa which of course confers no entitlement to "make a new life" in the USA. The story had more holes than Rab Nesbitt's vest but the BBC reported it without any question. They'd found their tearful victim.

It doesn't just work one way. Some of the reporting has been quite hysterical. Unfortunately, such a sudden move was always going to provoke fear, confusion and misinformation without further clarification.

I'm sure all of that will have been considered in advance by the Trump administration, of course.

Nothing, I love reading.

I just don't believe for a second you've read the whole Qur'an, let alone understood it's meanings.

Everyone likes to judge people by their own standards, I suppose.

Francis Albert

The Mo Farah story was genuine until the dual national clarification for Britons. Agree with you on the first point.

Except that as I understand it Mo Farah does not have dual nationality.

ToadKiller Dog

Except Christian and Jewish fundamentalists tend to shy away from sawing peoples heads off these days.

The 28 year old boy who shot up the pizza cafe in Washington after believing the hoax about Clinton's link to a pedophile ring ran from that cafe .

He cited one of his favorite books as Wild at Heart , this book comes from the masculine warrior god trend in evangelist thinking ,it's a thinking that's not really that distant from some of Jahadist thought .

This form of Christianity is powerful in US evangelist society something like 88% of white evangelicals voted Trump ,it preachers have also been seen as a major influence in the anti gay policies of many African governments which have seen many people brutal murdered or tortured .

Trump I doubt is a man of deep religious thought he is his own god , but he owes these people for his support ,his presidency will encourage those of this strand of Christianity same as it has emboldened the white supremacists .

It's good to see so many US citizens prepared to take a stand against his policies .

Malinga the Swinga

I believe you are correct. He has a UK passport, but not a Somalian one. In fact, he was never in any danger of not being admitted/readmitted to US, but it was a good opportunity to get his name in the media and try to create a story.

Bit of an over reaction from Mr Farah.

Zero Americans killed by Iraqi citizens between 1975 and 2015?!?

Presumably these stats are referring to deaths on US soil?

Well we Cannae really compare gulf war 2 deaths

140 US , upto 45000 iraqi

Edited by aussieh

Somali national. British citizen. US resident.

I think...

Francis Albert

Somali national. British citizen. US resident.

I think...

His and our media scare seems to be based on his place of birth, which does not equate to Nationality. (Not really relevant but his father was actually a British citizen). According to the USA Today report on the scare, he does not have dual nationality nor does he have a Somalian passport. If so the Trump order never applied to him.

So misleading reporting here on two counts. The first that he was caught by the order. The second that British officials securing assurances on dual nationality saved him.

Probably why you think I'm talking shite.

How do you mean? About what? You've not even offered an opinion. Believe what you want about what I have or haven't read. If you've read it, you should have an idea where I'm coming from. If not - do yourself a favour and get educated.

Edited by Frank

Geoff Kilpatrick

I don't think he ever rescinded Somalian nationality. His birthplace will be recorded on his passport.

No matter. The importance of the Farah angle was personifying the stupidity of this imposition.

His and our media scare seems to be based on his place of birth, which does not equate to Nationality. (Not really relevant but his father was actually a British citizen). According to the USA Today report on the scare, he does not have dual nationality nor does he have a Somalian passport. If so the Trump order never applied to him.

So misleading reporting here on two counts. The first that he was caught by the order. The second that British officials securing assurances on dual nationality saved him.

The issues of nationality and citizenship can indeed be confused. I think both can mean different things to different countries/legal systems. When I said Somali national, I meant because he was born there (place of birth a common question in US visa/immigrations matters). He does have a UK passport, but not a Somali passport (source: his own representative).

Trump's EO may have, by application of the US's application of jus soli, meant it applied to Farah by virtue of him being born in Somalia.

However, it seems unlikely that someone who had the legal right to live in the US in his circumstances was actually going to be denied entry. He will have gone through absolutely shitloads of scrutiny already, getting visas, or a Green Card (not sure what he has) etc..

I believe you are correct. He has a UK passport, but not a Somalian one. In fact, he was never in any danger of not being admitted/readmitted to US, but it was a good opportunity to get his name in the media and try to create a story.

Bit of an over reaction from Mr Farah.

Why is it that you, some unaffected gobshite on the internet, are perfectly entitled to an opinion on the matter, while a Somalian born UK citizen living in the US shouldn't be voicing his opinions and fears?

Francis Albert

I don't think he ever rescinded Somalian nationality. His birthplace will be recorded on his passport.

No matter. The importance of the Farah angle was personifying the stupidity of this imposition.

That's the beauty of alt.truth. It doesn't matter whether its true or not - it is the effect that matters! Anyway fair enough I can see why Mo might have been concerned. And certainly why others are.

AlphonseCapone

How do you mean? About what? You've not even offered an opinion. Believe what you want about what I have or haven't read. If you've read it, you should have an idea where I'm coming from. If not - do yourself a favour and get educated.

I'm going to apologise as I was tired and grumpy this morning.

My point was, your statement; "Have you read the Qur'an?" is thrown around a look on the internet and I doubt the vast vast majority of those saying it have actually read it. More likely they are paraphrasing quotes from it they've seen banded about on the internet.

Muslim scholars spend their whole life mastering and interpreting the Qur'an which demonstrates the complexity of it.

You might have read it, but you are certainly in the minority of those who claimed to have read it if you have.

Geoff Kilpatrick

That's the beauty of alt.truth. It doesn't matter whether its true or not - it is the effect that matters! Anyway fair enough I can see why Mo might have been concerned. And certainly why others are.

The Age over here is reporting on a Year 12 student being denied a visa for a school trip, due to him being born in Iran yet having Australian citizenship. If that's a better example for you I'll give you the link.

Half baked buffoonery from a buffoon.

Just seen an online petition to ban him from a State visit

:facepalm:

Infact here is another one

Gotta love professional protestors.  The simply do not get it.  They do not get the fact that they are the reason Trump won.

Edited by i8hibsh

I'm going to apologise as I was tired and grumpy this morning.

My point was, your statement; "Have you read the Qur'an?" is thrown around a look on the internet and I doubt the vast vast majority of those saying it have actually read it. More likely they are paraphrasing quotes from it they've seen banded about on the internet.

Muslim scholars spend their whole life mastering and interpreting the Qur'an which demonstrates the complexity of it.

You might have read it, but you are certainly in the minority of those who claimed to have read it if you have.

Accepted, Al. Right, I'm off for a cuppa. :cup::happy:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gotta love professional protestors. The simply do not get it. They do not get the fact that they are the reason Trump won.

Funny. I didn't realise British people could vote in US elections.

Funny. I didn't realise British people could vote in US elections.

They can't.  Quite worrying you required my confirmation on this.

Geoff Kilpatrick

They can't. Quite worrying you required my confirmation on this.

Then it kind of makes your rant look a bit stupid doesn't it?

I think people signing that petition have a right to be heard when they disagree with a discriminatory and stupid policy.

Then it kind of makes your rant look a bit stupid doesn't it?

I think people signing that petition have a right to be heard when they disagree with a discriminatory and stupid policy.

Did I say professional protesters exclusive to the UK? Nice try numb nuts.

Right to be heard - I fully agree with this.  Calling for someone to be basically banned form the UK (which is what they want) as they disagree with their thinking and actions - well this is very typical of these people.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Right to be heard - I fully agree with this. Calling for someone to be basically banned form the UK (which is what they want) as they disagree with their thinking and actions - well this is very typical of these people.

No they haven't called for him to be banned from the UK. They are saying that hosting a state visit is inappropriate. Now I get that there is a real political problem for May in that to do something to rescind it could have bigger repercussions but that's politics.

Right to be heard - I fully agree with this.  Calling for someone to be basically banned form the UK (which is what they want) as they disagree with their thinking and actions - well this is very typical of these people.

The petition is saying that Trump can visit the UK as a head of state, but the State visit if it were to go ahead is being seen as a potential embarrassment to the Queen and should therefore be cancelled.

No they haven't called for him to be banned from the UK. They are saying that hosting a state visit is inappropriate. Now I get that there is a real political problem for May in that to do something to rescind it could have bigger repercussions but that's politics.

What are you talking about GK?  The precious wee snowflakes have been trying to get Trump banned from entering the UK for a few years now just because they disagree with his thinking.  A man who like it or not is a huge part of the success of the UK now and these cretins want him banned from State visits etc? State visits are essential to our economy.  Out of all the evil horrible people in this world, Donald Trump is who they want banned from our shores? Donal Trump.  A guy who made pledges, got voted in and is acting on those pledges.

They don?t have a problem with Trump, they just have a problem with not getting their way.  Long may their pathetic protests, hashtags and online petitions continue as I am loving the direction that the Western world is heading right now.  So thank you to each and every one of them.

The petition is saying that Trump can visit the UK as a head of state, but the State visit if it were to go ahead is being seen as a potential embarrassment to the Queen and should therefore be cancelled.

This petitiion yes you are correct. What about the many before?

Gotta love professional protestors. The simply do not get it. They do not get the fact that they are the reason Trump won.

The reason being he played to white supremacy, imperialism, quite British.

What are you talking about GK? The precious wee snowflakes have been trying to get Trump banned from entering the UK for a few years now just because they disagree with his thinking. A man who like it or not is a huge part of the success of the UK now and these cretins want him banned from State visits etc? State visits are essential to our economy. Out of all the evil horrible people in this world, Donald Trump is who they want banned from our shores? Donal Trump. A guy who made pledges, got voted in and is acting on those pledges.

They don?t have a problem with Trump, they just have a problem with not getting their way. Long may their pathetic protests, hashtags and online petitions continue as I am loving the direction that the Western world is heading right now. So thank you to each and every one of them.

What if Scotland ban him? Will u protest in some form?

I see the Iraqi Parliament have voted to impose a reciprocal travel ban on American citizens in Iraq.

If it is carried out, then all American aid workers, American contractors and American Soldiers will not be allowed into Iraq.

Many Iraqi soldiers now feel betrayed by this move especially since they are fighting and dying alongside American Special Forces in their fight against ISIS in Mosul and the rest of Iraq.

Francis Albert

Gotta love professional protestors.  The simply do not get it.  They do not get the fact that they are the reason Trump won.

I hope the State Visit goes ahead. So much more possibility for entrants to the "Stupidist anti-Trump Placard" award. In a very strong field so far I have a clear leader. A woman holding aloft a placard saying "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION". Presumably, as with blood donation, she expects a wee lapel badge once she has had half a dozen.

I hope the State Visit goes ahead. So much more possibility for entrants to the "Stupidist anti-Trump Placard" award. In a very strong field so far I have a clear leader. A woman holding aloft a placard saying "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION". Presumably, as with blood donation, she expects a wee lapel badge once she has had half a dozen.

Maybe she was Leigh Griffiths mum?

I hope the State Visit goes ahead. So much more possibility for entrants to the "Stupidist anti-Trump Placard" award. In a very strong field so far I have a clear leader. A woman holding aloft a placard saying "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION". Presumably, as with blood donation, she expects a wee lapel badge once she has had half a dozen.

You seem angry, maybe he'll bring back slavery, cheer you right up.

Francis Albert

You seem angry, maybe he'll bring back slavery, cheer you right up.

Amused not angry.

I can imagine you struggle to distinguish between the two emotions,

Amused not angry.

I can imagine you struggle to distinguish between the two emotions,

Amused, feck what are you like when you're in a good mood, a serial killer.

Francis Albert

Amused, feck what are you like when you're in a good mood, a serial killer.

You really don't find anything faintly amusing or at least ridiculous about "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION"?

Terrible post.

You really don't find anything faintly amusing or at least ridiculous about "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION"?

You amuse me more. Yer hidden agenda of fake Amusement. Edited by aussieh

Francis Albert

Terrible post.

Care to elaborate beyond the face palm? I am pro-abortion. Certainly think no-one should be ashamed or feel guilty. But sorry, I struggle a bit to understand a mindset that sees having an abortion as some sort of badge of honour.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)