U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Care to elaborate beyond the face palm? I am pro-abortion. Certainly think no-one should be ashamed or feel guilty. But sorry, I struggle a bit to understand a mindset that sees having an abortion as some sort of badge of honour.

Might've been Donald's.

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Care to elaborate beyond the face palm? I am pro-abortion. Certainly think no-one should be ashamed or feel guilty. But sorry, I struggle a bit to understand a mindset that sees having an abortion as some sort of badge of honour.

I very much doubt it's about being some sort of badge of honour, but more to do with the fact that the option is there should the woman wish to?  I don't think, somehow, that women see abortion as an easy option or a simple procedure.  Your comment regarding a lapel badge for multiple abortions was, imo, pretty distasteful.

Rather than being proud, I saw a picture of a woman with a placard that said she didn't regret her abortion.  A more nuanced approach, I'd say.

Francis Albert

I very much doubt it's about being some sort of badge of honour, but more to do with the fact that the option is there should the woman wish to?  I don't think, somehow, that women see abortion as an easy option or a simple procedure.  Your comment regarding a lapel badge for multiple abortions was, imo, pretty distasteful.

Rather than being proud, I saw a picture of a woman with a placard that said she didn't regret her abortion.  A more nuanced approach, I'd say.

Sorry when I read "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION" I assumed she meant she was proud of her abortion.

Sorry when I read "I AM PROUD OF MY ABORTION" I assumed she meant she was proud of her abortion.

And that makes it a "badge of honour"?

In this sense pride could equate to no regret.

I think the point being made by the lady in question is that she had the right to have one.  Something that President Mysogynist is attempting to deny women.

maroonlegions

Big questions of "concern"  from me to those actually trying to defend this raving lunatic.  

He is a blatant racist and seriously  homophobic and his views on women are fecking rank.

Embarrassing is the reality for those that find the above acceptable in any way shape or form in their pandering to him.  

There is no middle ground when it comes to racists or to those that disrespect women or paint them in a  vile sexist way and those have  homophobic  tendencies.

Zero tolerance i say for such men and i use that term very loosely when it come to Trump , he is no fecking man for the way he has spoken about  women and those of a no white ethnic background and those with the same sex  sexual preferences. 

The spin doctors are working on over time just trying  keep up with the sheer transparency of the down right lunacy of his policies he is now implementing. 

Mo Farah wrote this below in his response to Trumps latest policy of travel bans.  

"On 1st January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27th January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.

I am a British citizen who has lived in America for the past six years - working hard, contributing to society, paying my taxes and bringing up our four children in the place they now call home.

Now, me and many others like me are being told that we may not be welcome. It?s deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children that Daddy might not be able to come home - to explain why the President has introduced a policy that comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice.

I was welcomed into Britain from Somalia at eight years old and given the chance to succeed and realise my dreams. I have been proud to represent my country, win medals for the British people and receive the greatest honour of a knighthood. My story is an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation."

Edited by maroonlegions

Big questions of "concern"  from me to those actually trying to defend this raving lunatic.  

He is a blatant racist and seriously  homophobic and his views on women are fecking rank.

Embarrassing is the reality for those that find the above acceptable in any way shape or form in their pandering to him.  

There is no middle ground when it comes to racists or to those that disrespect women or paint them in a  vile sexist way and those have  homophobic  tendencies.

Zero tolerance i say for such men and i use that term very loosely when it come to Trump , he is no fecking man for the way he has spoken about  women and those of a no white ethnic background and those with the same sex  sexual preferences. 

The spin doctors are working on over time just trying  keep up with the sheer transparency of the down right lunacy of his policies he is now implementing. 

Mo Farah wrote this below in his response to Trumps latest policy of travel bans.  

"On 1st January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27th January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.

I am a British citizen who has lived in America for the past six years - working hard, contributing to society, paying my taxes and bringing up our four children in the place they now call home.

Now, me and many others like me are being told that we may not be welcome. It?s deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children that Daddy might not be able to come home - to explain why the President has introduced a policy that comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice.

I was welcomed into Britain from Somalia at eight years old and given the chance to succeed and realise my dreams. I have been proud to represent my country, win medals for the British people and receive the greatest honour of a knighthood. My story is an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation."

I agree with everything you write but, whether we like it or not, and whether the Americans like it or not, he is the President and will be for at least four years.

I'm wondering if anyone will mount a constitutional challenge over his recent EO against some Muslims.  Here is the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

I'm assuming that Executive Orders are bound by the Constitution, just as Congress is..

Francis Albert

I think people need to distinguish between defending the despicable buffoon that Trump is, and responding to some of the extreme demonising of him and of the millions (including many women and most working class women) who voted for him. Even if he delivers all his promises (and the Senate and House will prevent that) he will not be the most evil and destructive and misogynist and racist and homophobic etc etc man ever to occupy the White House. At a personal level he won't be the worst abuser of women.

Whatever the demonstrators and protesters say.

Edited by Francis Albert

I agree with everything you write but, whether we like it or not, and whether the Americans like it or not, he is the President and will be for at least four years.

I'm wondering if anyone will mount a constitutional challenge over his recent EO against some Muslims.  Here is the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

I'm assuming that Executive Orders are bound by the Constitution, just as Congress is..

You're correct, they are.

The problem is, executive agencies are ignoring court orders.  This is nearly unprecedented--the only other time this can be said to have happened in any significant way was when Andrew Jackson was president.

I am absolutely freaking out.  I'm actually scared to return to the States right now.  The administration wasted no time in seeing just how much they'd be able to get away with disregarding the courts and congress, and this looks like nothing less than a coup attempt to me.

alwaysthereinspirit

The problem is, executive agencies are ignoring court orders.  This is nearly unprecedented--the only other time this can be said to have happened in any significant way was when Andrew Jackson was president.

I am absolutely freaking out.  I'm actually scared to return to the States right now.  The administration wasted no time in seeing just how much they'd be able to get away with disregarding the courts and congress, and this looks like nothing less than a coup attempt to me.

Why are you scared to return to the States? Do you live in the States?

What's your circumstances making you freak out, if you don't mind me asking?

Why are you scared to return to the States? Do you live in the States?

What's your circumstances making you freak out, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from the States, yes.  Immigrations and customs agents are ignoring temporary restraining orders meant to prevent the enforcement of Trump's executive banning order.  To say I have been outspoken against Trump on social media would be putting it lightly.  If I am right and they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with, this is the tiniest sliver of the totalitarian iceberg they have planned.

I'm a lawyer by training and one of the biggest constant, ever-occurring violations of the Fourth Amendment--the one that protects people from unreasonable searches and seizures--is that the Department of Homeland Security has jurisdiction within 100 miles of any U.S. border.  I have railed against this for years, because it basically means they can stop 60% of the population on a whim.  Or, quite obviously, anybody--including citizens--entering or leaving the country.  And they're answerable to nobody but the President.  The DHS has been one of the agencies happily ignoring the court orders.  They have like 50,000 agents.  If they and the FBI are, on balance, as loyal to Trump as it would appear, if this blatant disregard for court orders isn't isolated, and if the military are of a similar temperament, I shudder to think what's coming.

Edited by Justin Z

I'm from the States, yes. Immigrations and customs agents are ignoring temporary restraining orders preventing the enforcement of this executive order. To say I have been outspoken against Trump on social media would be putting it lightly. If I am right and they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with, this is the tiniest sliver of the totalitarian iceberg they have planned.

I'm a lawyer by training and one of the biggest constant, ever-occurring violations of the Fourth Amendment--the one that protects people from unreasonable searches and seizures--is that the Department of Homeland Security has jurisdiction within 100 miles of any U.S. border. I have railed against this for years, because it basically means they can stop 60% of the population on a whim. Or, quite obviously, anybody--including citizens--entering or leaving the country. And they're answerable to nobody but the President. The DHS has been one of the agencies happily ignoring the court orders. They have like 50,000 agents. If they and the FBI are, on balance, as loyal to Trump as it would appear, if this blatant disregard for court orders isn't isolated, and if the military are of a similar temperament, I shudder to think what's coming.

Don't worry, mate - someone will be on here soon enough to tell you your fears are unfounded.

maroonlegions

Put in this perspective Trump and components of the US media sure did give this stats a massive body swerve.

Its all about marketing ones self it seems, selling yourself to a dumped down American populace,seems it worked a treat.

Its all a game of finding ,manipulating  and blaming the bad guy.(Muslims), its a fecking panto.

2016-09-01-1472759565-493250-extreme_ext

:touche:

Edited by maroonlegions

Space Mackerel

Once the invitation for a State visit has been made it would take something much bigger than what he has done so far to get that withdrawn. Are we really worried about embarrassing the Queen considering who she has sat next to/with throughout her life.

I signed the 1st petition to get him banned, mainly because i thought a ban might influence the US elections and stop the Trump march, but now it just seems pointless. This actually falls into the i8 faux protest category that I would agree with. Get him over here then organise a protest.

I say get the fat orange twat over ASAP so we can rip him a new one :thumbsup: Edited by Space Mackerel

maroonlegions

I think people need to distinguish between defending the despicable buffoon that Trump is, and responding to some of the extreme demonising of him and of the millions (including many women and most working class women) who voted for him. Even if he delivers all his promises (and the Senate and House will prevent that) he will not be the most evil and destructive and misogynist and racist and homophobic etc etc man ever to occupy the White House. At a personal level he won't be the worst abuser of women.

Whatever the demonstrators and protesters say.

So who is  or was the "the most evil and destructive and misogynist and racist and homophobic etc etc man ever to occupy the White House"???

?Dont you think he deserves  to be demonised> did he not bring that all apon him self given all those hateful pre- election speeches he gave when he degraded women and Muslims.

There is no defence of him even if idiots voted for him, the glaring reality here is the man is a racist and is pouring petrol on the fire of hate towards Muslims. His tarring them all together is just plan fecking idiotic and dangerous.   

alwaysthereinspirit

Put in this perspective Trump and components of the US media sure did give this stats a massive body swerve.

Its all about marketing ones self it seems, selling yourself to a dumped down American populace,seems it worked a treat.

Its all a game of finding ,manipulating  and blaming the bad guy.(Muslims), its a fecking panto.

2016-09-01-1472759565-493250-extreme_ext

:touche:

It appears that the San Bernadino, Orlando night club and Fort Hood shootings are not on that list yet.

Maybe included in the "citizen on citizen" list. Not sure if they were or weren't citizens.

9-11 obviously not included either. Or do we not know which group those guys claimed responsibility for.

Francis Albert

So who is  or was the "the most evil and destructive and misogynist and racist and homophobic etc etc man ever to occupy the White House"???

Past Presidents have owned slaves, have presided over the genocide of the native populations of North America, have supported segregation, have interned foreign nationals (or Americans of foreign descent) , have refused entry to Jews fleeing Hitler, have dropped atomic bombs, literally poured incendiary bombs/petrol/napalm on muslims and many others around the world etc etc. Trump is obnoxious and very dangerous, Just seeking a tiny bit of perspective here.

Edited by Francis Albert

alwaysthereinspirit

?Dont you think he deserves  to be demonised> did he not bring that all apon him self given all those hateful pre- election speeches he gave when he degraded women and Muslims.

There is no defence of him even if idiots voted for him, the glaring reality here is the man is a racist and is pouring petrol on the fire of hate towards Muslims. His tarring them all together is just plan fecking idiotic and dangerous.   

Does he tar ALL Muslims as being one and the same with this particular executive order?

It appears that the San Bernadino, Orlando night club and Fort Hood shootings are not on that list yet.

Maybe included in the "citizen on citizen" list. Not sure if they were or weren't citizens.

9-11 obviously not included either. Or do we not know which group those guys claimed responsibility for.

San Bernardino Attack -

Rizwan Farook (born in Chicago, USA) a US Citizen.

Tashfeen Malik (born Pakistan) spent most of her life in Saudi Arabia (both Pakistan & Saudi Arabia not on the banned countries list)

Orlando Club Attack -

Omar Mateen (born New Hyde Park, New York, USA) a US Citizen

Fort Hood -

2009 - Nidal Malik Hasan (born Virginia, USA) a US Citizen

2014 - Ivan Lopez (born Puerto Rico) a US territory.

3 out of the 5 shooters were USA born, so their victims will be probably be listed in the section of being killed by another American, which is what they were, American Citizens.

9/11 attackers were 15 from Saudi Arabia, 2 from UAE and 1 each from Egypt & Lebanon. (None on Trumps banned list)

But surely you knew all of this already, surely?

Has reached over 3.5 million people so far.

Sign the letter from the world to Donald Trump

People from all over the world are signing onto a letter that says Dear Mr. Trump...

SECURE.AVAAZ.ORG

I could see him trying to change the two term Presidency. I think the people of America might have to go to war with their President

Also, i think he's one wrong move away from causing a war(South China sea) with China the most likely participant.

Edited by aussieh

alwaysthereinspirit

San Bernardino Attack -

Rizwan Farook (born in Chicago, USA) a US Citizen.

Tashfeen Malik (born Pakistan) spent most of her life in Saudi Arabia (both Pakistan & Saudi Arabia not on the banned countries list)

Orlando Club Attack -

Omar Mateen (born New Hyde Park, New York, USA) a US Citizen

Fort Hood -

2009 - Nidal Malik Hasan (born Virginia, USA) a US Citizen

2014 - Ivan Lopez (born Puerto Rico) a US territory.

3 out of the 5 shooters were USA born, so their victims will be probably be listed in the section of being killed by another American, which is what they were, American Citizens.

9/11 attackers were 15 from Saudi Arabia, 2 from UAE and 1 each from Egypt & Lebanon. (None on Trumps banned list)

But surely you knew all of this already, surely?

There is no "banned list" countries on the list shown.

Who or what then are "all Islamic jihadist terrorists (including US citizens)? and what 9 deaths are included? Not the most insightful list to be fair.

There is no "banned list" countries on the list shown.

Who or what then are "all Islamic jihadist terrorists (including US citizens)? and what 9 deaths are included? Not the most insightful list to be fair.

I have no idea how accurate that list is or isn't, so I will treat it with the caution it deserves, until such time as I could see a proper detailed breakdown, of each category.

But what is clear and has been clear for some time now, is that America is at a far greater risk from radicalised US citizens than they are from foreign jihadists. 

That is why this blanket ban on 7 countries will not have the desired effect that Trump thinks it will have, far from keeping America safe, it will only further alienate America in the region, besides any competent terrorist would have known that this ban was possible, Trump did bang on about it for long enough, so will already be in the US and probably have been for some time now.

maroonlegions

Well thought out and written articule on Trump.

A Clarifying Moment in American History

"There should be nothing surprising about what Donald Trump has done in his first week?but he has underestimated the resilience of Americans and their institutions".  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/a-clarifying-moment-in-american-history/514868/?utm_source=fbb

Geoff the Mince

And there is another one doing the rounds showing the number of Americans killed by other Americans using handguns.

But why the patronising?

And 75 Americans last year were killed by Lawnmowers .

Geoff the Mince

And 75 Americans last year were killed by Lawnmowers .

Been trying to edit post I see ML covered Lawnmowers !

Geoff Kilpatrick

What are you talking about GK? The precious wee snowflakes have been trying to get Trump banned from entering the UK for a few years now just because they disagree with his thinking. A man who like it or not is a huge part of the success of the UK now and these cretins want him banned from State visits etc? State visits are essential to our economy. Out of all the evil horrible people in this world, Donald Trump is who they want banned from our shores? Donal Trump. A guy who made pledges, got voted in and is acting on those pledges.

They don?t have a problem with Trump, they just have a problem with not getting their way. Long may their pathetic protests, hashtags and online petitions continue as I am loving the direction that the Western world is heading right now. So thank you to each and every one of them.

You're conflating two very different things. Blustering as a celeb and complaining about it means nothing. Passing executive orders as a president discriminating against people is something very different.

But you knew that.

alwaysthereinspirit

He's just fired the acting Attorney General who questioned the legality of his travel ban.

An Obama appointment. So no real surprise. Was always just a temporary position till Trumps own man moved in.

J.T.F.Robertson

An Obama appointment. So no real surprise. Was always just a temporary position till Trumps own man moved in.

His "own man" will then comply, thereby refuting any "possible" illegalities? I guess it just comes down to interpretation then.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Sure, but she probably didn't think it would be under such circumstances - trashed in a tweet and then suddenly dismissed.

We're only ten days in. 1450 to go. :lol:

ToadKiller Dog

Sure, but she probably didn't think it would be under such circumstances - trashed in a tweet and then suddenly dismissed.

We're only ten days in. 1450 to go. :lol:

I don't think she was being partisan in what she said , her legal opinion was that the Order was maybe unlawful ,it's her duty to give her opinion .

Trump tactics shout down and remove anybody who dares disagree with him .

The real power behind him is that nasty hate monger Steve Bannon as sort of uber nasty version of what Mandelson was to Tony Bliar

I don't think she was being partisan in what she said , her legal opinion was that the Order was maybe unlawful ,it's her duty to give her opinion .

The real power behind him is that nasty hate monger Steve Bannon as sort of uber nasty version of what Mandelson was to Tony Bliar

That's been the tactics from day one isn't it, shout down and shut up any dissenters, rubbish, ridicule and try and destroy the credibility of the media, whilst whipping the crowds into a frenzy and you'll have them eating out of your hand, and they'll believe anything that you'll tell them.

This is only the start, just wait until all the appointments are in place, that's when the fun really starts.

SectionDJambo

It's what the Americans who voted for him wanted. Power away from Washington. They'll have to put up with him.

He's going to mess up big style eventually, unless he starts listening to people.

These photos of him holding up Executive Orders with those guys in the background clapping and laughing, are so similar to the photos that you see of that nutter in North Korea, when he's watched a nuclear test.

The Real Maroonblood

That's been the tactics from day one isn't it, shout down and shut up any dissenters, rubbish, ridicule and try and destroy the credibility of the media, whilst whipping the crowds into a frenzy and you'll have them eating out of your hand, and they'll believe anything that you'll tell them.

This is only the start, just wait until all the appointments are in place, that's when the fun really starts.

A bit like Hitler.

Francis Albert

He's just fired the acting Attorney General who questioned the legality of his travel ban.

The only surprise is that it took him so long. The Attorney General is not some neutral legal position; it is a political appointment and part of the Executive. JFK appointed his brother as Attorney General and certainly didn't expect or get neutral, objective advice from him, indeed got his full support in some legally fairly dubious ventures, like the attempted assassination of foreign leaders. Nixon's Atorney General (and close friend) John Mitchell was actually a central part of the Watergate Conspiracy and was imprisoned for his part. Edited by Francis Albert

Folk not wanting him to meet the Queen in a state visit - mental!!  The one person that's going to shut the room door and say "listen here you orange faced f&&k, I will kill you, and your entourage, one by one if you don't play by my rules"

maroonlegions

It's what the Americans who voted for him wanted. Power away from Washington. They'll have to put up with him.

He's going to mess up big style eventually, unless he starts listening to people.

These photos of him holding up Executive Orders with those guys in the background clapping and laughing, are so similar to the photos that you see of that nutter in North Korea, when he's watched a nuclear test.

16174558_10155373587618797_6796061164541

She was being totally Partisan. To state something may be unlawful then categorically state no one in her department would ever defend it while she was in charge about 36 hours after the order is made can be nothing but Political.

Seymour M Hersh

This will go over a few posters heads but at least it's worth a go.

a3c07f3aff366d4f5f08355a29b95f44.jpg

Couple of points here to be considered. When Obama banned Iraqi refugees in 2011 for 6 months (not 3 as Trump has done) there was zero protests. And, the list of countries that Trump has temporarily banned was initially a list created by the Obama administration as the countries most likely to supply terrorists to endanger the USA. Och and add in a 3rd point that 40 countries with muslim majorities or significant muslim populations have not been banned.

Couple of points here to be considered. When Obama banned Iraqi refugees in 2011 for 6 months (not 3 as Trump has done) there was zero protests. And, the list of countries that Trump has temporarily banned was initially a list created by the Obama administration as the countries most likely to supply terrorists to endanger the USA. Och and add in a 3rd point that 40 countries with muslim majorities or significant muslim populations have not been banned.

Obama didn't ban Iraqi refugees.

Obama didn't ban Iraqi refugees.

Correct.  And the fact that Trump is trying to hide behind an action by Obama is laughable.  

Obama may have created a list, however it's Trump who has implemented it.

Has this action actually made American's any safer?

The only thing which would make America safer would be to ban guns.

More Americans will die this year at the hands of other Americans than have ever been killed on American soil by foreign terrorists, in the last 100 years.

Francis Albert

Correct.  And the fact that Trump is trying to hide behind an action by Obama is laughable.  

Missed that. When did Trump hide behind Obama's action?

maroonlegions

Belters

Only us Scots can say the simple things but with such venom.

Loving these.

Scotland Against Trump protests were held throughout the country on Monday night, and Scottish people responded the only way they know how.
BUZZFEED.COM

Francis Albert

She was being totally Partisan. To state something may be unlawful then categorically state no one in her department would ever defend it while she was in charge about 36 hours after the order is made can be nothing but Political.

The role of the Attorney General is to act as the Executive and Presidents' chief legal adviser and representative. Of course her publicly questioning within hours the legality of  Trump's Executive Order was partisan.

The claim that Trump is "acting like Hitler" in replacing her is an accusation worthy of ... well, Goebbels, If he has acting like Hitler so has every President who has replaced a previous Administration's Attorney General, So has every British Prime Minister who has replaced the previous Government's Lord Chancellor/ Justice Minister.

There is so much to criticise Trump for, why the need to make things up?

Missed that. When did Trump hide behind Obama's action?

?My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.?

? President Trump, statement on executive order, Jan. 29, 2017

Francis Albert

?My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.?

? President Trump, statement on executive order, Jan. 29, 2017

Thanks.

If it's not targeting Muslims then why were so many people (yourself included IIRC) pleased that he's fulfilling an election pledge? I mean, he pledged to curb Muslim immigration, not people from certain countries didn't he?

So is this him fulfilling a pledge to fight Muslim immigration or not? You can't have it both ways

Edited by Smithee

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)