U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Francis Albert

Belters

Only us Scots can say the simple things but with such venom.

Loving these.

Scotland Against Trump protests were held throughout the country on Monday night, and Scottish people responded the only way they know how.
BUZZFEED.COM

More evidence of the decline in Scottish education standards. Making Trump look articulate.

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ToadKiller Dog

The role of the Attorney General is to act as the Executive and Presidents' chief legal adviser and representative. Of course her publicly questioning within hours the legality of Trump's Executive Order was partisan.

The claim that Trump is "acting like Hitler" in replacing her is an accusation worthy of ... well, Goebbels, If he has acting like Hitler so has every President who has replaced a previous Administration's Attorney General, So has every British Prime Minister who has replaced the previous Government's Lord Chancellor/ Justice Minister.

There is so much to criticise Trump for, why the need to make things up?

Here is what her replacement pick once said to Yates

Senator, I believe the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General has an obligation to follow the law and the Constitution and to give their independent legal advice to the President.

Of course Trump is in his right to sack her ,that's expected sure she expected it also and maybe it was a bit partisan but it didn't make her legal opinion and obligation to say so as wrong ,

where the Hitler comparison comes in is the personal attack on her for, accusing her of Betrayal ,weak on terror and other bull is that really the right behaviour of a person in public service never mind a president .

Belters

Only us Scots can say the simple things but with such venom.

Loving these.

Scotland Against Trump protests were held throughout the country on Monday night, and Scottish people responded the only way they know how.
BUZZFEED.COM

They genuinely don't make you cringe?  I feel uncomfortable even looking at them.

Francis Albert

Senator, I believe the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General has an obligation to follow the law and the Constitution and to give their independent legal advice to the President.

Of course Trump is in his right to sack her ,that's expected sure she expected it also and maybe it was a bit partisan but it didn't make her legal opinion and obligation to say so as wrong ,

where the Hitler comparison comes in is the personal attack on her for, accusing her of Betrayal ,weak on terror and other bull is that really the right behaviour of a person in public service never mind a president .

A "brutal sacking" no doubt?

She would have been replaced whatever she said or did. It is a perfectly routine part of the transfer of administration (as I have said both in the US and for the UK equivalent posts). Of course the Attorney General has an obligation to follow the law and constitution and that applies to the President too. And I think the point is that the AG gives her advice to the President, not publicly comment uninvited on Presidential actions.

Trump is commenting on a member of the previous administration not some neutral civil servant.

And are you really saying people in public service should not make personal attacks? There's quite a few senators and congressmen who seemingly don't agree when it comes to Trump.

Edited by Francis Albert

More evidence of the decline in Scottish education standards. Making Trump look articulate.

The performance from you and yer mate are more embarrassing than these signs. You're pathetic

Couple of points here to be considered. When Obama banned Iraqi refugees in 2011 for 6 months (not 3 as Trump has done) there was zero protests. And, the list of countries that Trump has temporarily banned was initially a list created by the Obama administration as the countries most likely to supply terrorists to endanger the USA. Och and add in a 3rd point that 40 countries with muslim majorities or significant muslim populations have not been banned.

Correct.  And the fact that Trump is trying to hide behind an action by Obama is laughable.  

Laughable primarily because Obama's "ban" was nothing like this.  There's a good article on it in the Washington Post; briefly, Obama's action was in response to something that actually happened (the "Kentucky case")--not just out of nowhere for funsies--and neither were green card holders stopped from travelling nor was settlement by Iraqi refugees ever halted.  They are absolutely nothing alike.

Edited by Justin Z

Laughable primarily because Obama's "ban" was nothing like this. There's a good article on it in the Washington Post; briefly, Obama's action was in response to something that actually happened (the "Kentucky case")--not just out of nowhere for funsies--and neither were green card holders stopped from travelling nor was settlement by Iraqi refugees ever halted. They are absolutely nothing alike.

Justin, I heard there's a poll that has 50% backing for trump on this ban, tell me it's NOT TRUE!!! :(

Justin, I heard there's a poll that has 50% backing for trump on this ban, tell me it's NOT TRUE!!! :(

I really hope not.  I'm intentionally in my own Scottish-tinged echo chamber lately because this shit happening does nothing but embarrass me as a Yank and stress me out.  So I haven't seen such a poll but I'm not surprised I haven't, in other words.

If the Attorney General of the UK came out and said they thought the governments position may be unlawful and they would not be defending any challenge and be instructing their staff not to do so the day after the government decided they would by pass parliament on Article 50 they would also have been sacked and rightly so.

Sally Yates is nobody's fool.  There is no doubt in my mind that she knew she'd be fired for making the statement she did.  She left Trump with little choice.

Her days were numbered in any event, so by drawing a line in the sand she had little to lose.

Seymour M Hersh

Obama didn't ban Iraqi refugees.

So the Obama administration didn't stop processing Iraqi via applications for 6 months after realising al-Qaeda operatives had sneaked in under the guise of refugees? Are you sure?

Seymour M Hersh

Correct.  And the fact that Trump is trying to hide behind an action by Obama is laughable.  

They stopped processing applications for 6 months. And in 2015 added the countries on Trumps list is the one Obama included on the revision to the visa waiver programme.  Thus laying the groundwork for Trums Executive Order. Which by the way he is well within his constitutional authority to issue. Hardly laughable.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

So the Obama administration didn't stop processing Iraqi via applications for 6 months after realising al-Qaeda operatives had sneaked in under the guise of refugees? Are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure he didn't order a stop of visa applications. Nor did he impose a "ban" on entry, similar to what to Trump's EO did.

All I know is what I've read, but here is a perspective on it.  

?While the flow of Iraqi refugees slowed significantly during the Obama administration?s review, refugees continued to be admitted to the United States during that time, and there was not a single month in which no Iraqis arrived here,? Jon Finer, an Obama administration official who worked on national security, writes at Foreign Policy.

Ben Rhodes, one of Obama?s top foreign policy aides, took a similar line.

?There was no ban on Iraqis in 2011,? Rhodes tweeted. ?Anyone pushing that line is hiding behind a lie because they can't defend the EO.?

Finer and Rhodes?s account is backed up by two fact-checkers who looked into the issue, the Washington Post?s Glenn Kessler and FactCheck.org?s Eugene Kiely. Both concluded, in lengthy investigations that I encourage you to read, that Obama?s policy was not a six-month ban on Iraqi refugees.

Just to make this crystal clear, let?s place Obama?s policy and Trump?s policy side by side:

• Obama: imposes new security checks on Iraqi refugees in response to a specific flaw in the security screening for people from that country, which slows down the admission rate of Iraqi refugees for six months but does not eliminate it.
  • Trump: Bans all refugees, from every country on Earth, for three months, with no evidence of a specific flaw in the refugee screening process, at a time when there are at least 60 percent more refugees worldwide than there were in 2011.

No, it did not.  Nor did it ban valid visa or green card holders.  Nor did processing simply stop for six months.  Iraqi refugee settlement never ceased, although it was slowed by the more stringent regulations that were put in place to address an application flaw.

Yes, I am sure.  6,339 Iraqi refugees arrived in the States in 2011, down from 18,251, so Obama's action definitely slowed the flow while the new regulations were put into place.

It still wasn't a blanket ban.  It was done reactively to something that had actually happened.  If you ask me, it was too restrictive and caused more harm than it needed to, to address the flaw.  It doesn't even hardly compare to Trump's order--it compares not a jot.

They stopped processing applications for 6 months. And in 2015 added the countries on Trumps list is the one Obama included on the revision to the visa waiver programme.  Thus laying the groundwork for Trums Executive Order. Which by the way he is well within his constitutional authority to issue. Hardly laughable.

They didn't stop processing applications for 6 months, although the Trump people want you to believe that they did.  More alternative facts?

And it's laughable because throughout the election campaign, Trump repeatedly referred to Obama as "a terrible President", yet as soon as he got some push-back on his EO, Trump has resorted to the excuse of "I'm only doing what he did". I think that's laughable.

They didn't stop processing applications for 6 months, although the Trump people want you to believe that they did. More alternative facts?

And it's laughable because throughout the election campaign, Trump repeatedly referred to Obama as "a terrible President", yet as soon as he got some push-back on his EO, Trump has resorted to the excuse of "I'm only doing what he did". I think that's laughable.

Indeed. Trump leaping to his own defence by citing what he thinks was Obama doing something similar, in response to criticism suggests he is all over the place.

His supporters, and those pulling the strings behind the scenes, will be loving all this, though. Heightens the siege mentality of those in the camp of the "unifying" President.

I really hope not. I'm intentionally in my own Scottish-tinged echo chamber lately because this shit happening does nothing but embarrass me as a Yank and stress me out. So I haven't seen such a poll but I'm not surprised I haven't, in other words.

I've been feeling the same for the best part of a decade now. Just console yourself with the fact that it can't last forever.

I'm a Scot in the interest of any doubt.

I've been feeling the same for the best part of a decade now. Just console yourself with the fact that it can't last forever.

I'm a Scot in the interest of any doubt.

Thanks, I hope you're right.  My liver cannot take many more nights like the last one. :lol:

And that makes it a "badge of honour"?

In this sense pride could equate to no regret.

I think the point being made by the lady in question is that she had the right to have one. Something that President Mysogynist is attempting to deny women.

I'd agree 100% with a womans right and his foreign access order on this is a million tines worse than the failed state jihadist riddled warzone temp ban imo. Edited by elvoys

Tafsheen Malick san Bernardino. 5 different agencies vetted her. Folk saying more likely to get hit by long lightening than killed by refugee attack fail to understand the concept of foiled attacks where the awful racist security services watch keeps their smarmy narrative alive. Lastly cows or lightening don't have the ability to turn political order on its head like in mainland Europe as deaths at their hands don't tend to be interpreted as part of an attempt to attack free society.

Scotland freaking out about Trump and his discriminatory and bigoted views and Executive orders ...

50,000 people can sing "Up to our knees in fienian blood" and nobody is bothered.

60,000 people can sing The boys of the old brigade and other pro IRA songs and outrageous banners. And nobody cares.

Scotland - stop the hypocrisy. Get our own house in order before you point fingers at other country's actions. Lead by example on how we can all live as one.

Edited by Armageddon

maroonlegions

There will be repercussions from some sections of the international community but however small they may be the tide is slowly turning towards those who show blatant and wilful disregard for compassion, human rites and show a  lack of any moral conscious for social and humanitarian justice and fairness towards those of ethnic backgrounds  and sexual preferences.

Such tyrants of humanity are those that manifest in the political arena,none more so than Trump who serve themselves and the corporate elite and the financial investments they have in them. 

Trump has  manipulate the political stage to further his  own corrupt fascist draconian views. 

Make no mistake Trumps actions are a game changer in regards to basic freedoms and expressions and more importantly the rite to them.

img_1154.jpg?w=900

This is an open call to establish travel bans on United States citizens, boycott US made products, divest of US or Trump related business interests, and apply sanctions on the Trump regime and all of its associates.

Until the danger the United States today possesses against the world is resolved. Reciprocity measures must be enacted against the United States to challenge its shameless actions under the Trump regime. Global response must also come in the form of economic sanctions on products directly associated with the Trump corporate brand.

As citizens of the world we must unite against tyranny wherever it emerges and challenge it.

As Trump reveals himself to be a danger not just for the US but the rest of the international community it is our right to protect and defend ourselves from the madness of rogue entity with no regard for international law, human rights, or common decency.

We call on the international community from all backgrounds and ideologies, across social stratus and religions, to resist the madness leaking out of the United States.

We call for the creation of global boycotts against US made products, we call on you to contact your representatives and members of parliament and congress to apply sanctions on the Trump regime, we call on you to take part in divestment of US shares. BDS the US until the maleficent Trump regime is brought to justice.

To the citizens of the United States, this is not an attack on you but firm and necessary action against the rising tyranny that today befalls you.

Participate in your own liberation from the Trump regime by applying economic and political pressure on your house and senate representatives to push the impeachment of the Trump regime.

The Trump regime will not listen to protests in the streets, but it will crumble under protests in the work force & sanctions, divestment, and boycotts abroad.

We call on you, the citizens of the United States, to organise rolling work strikes nation-wide.

Remove your labour from the pockets of the tyrants, disrupt the markets they are so proud of, and take the reins of your governance back by building society and mass collaboration.

Forget making America great again, together we can make humanity great again.

We are Anonymous.

We are everywhere.

We are legion.

We are those you have left without a home.

We are those you have murdered.

We are voiceless no more.

The world will change. 

We?ll change it.

Tyrants of the World,

Expect Us!

Edited by maroonlegions

i8 is the biggest snowflake going. He's too offended to realise it...yet.

I can see why you say that, he does seem to be negatively affected by everything, everywhere sometimes!

Except the Beatles, he's a good lad that way to be fair.

Bridge of Djoum

There will be repercussions from some sections of the international community but however small they may be the tide is slowly turning towards those who show blatant and wilful disregard for compassion, human rites and show a  lack of any moral conscious for social and humanitarian justice and fairness towards those of ethnic backgrounds  and sexual preferences.

Such tyrants of humanity are those that manifest in the political arena,none more so than Trump who serve themselves and the corporate elite and the financial investments they have in them. 

Trump has  manipulate the political stage to further his  own corrupt fascist draconian views. 

Make no mistake Trumps actions are a game changer in regards to basic freedoms and expressions and more importantly the rite to them.

img_1154.jpg?w=900

This is an open call to establish travel bans on United States citizens, boycott US made products, divest of US or Trump related business interests, and apply sanctions on the Trump regime and all of its associates.

Until the danger the United States today possesses against the world is resolved. Reciprocity measures must be enacted against the United States to challenge its shameless actions under the Trump regime. Global response must also come in the form of economic sanctions on products directly associated with the Trump corporate brand.

As citizens of the world we must unite against tyranny wherever it emerges and challenge it.

As Trump reveals himself to be a danger not just for the US but the rest of the international community it is our right to protect and defend ourselves from the madness of rogue entity with no regard for international law, human rights, or common decency.

We call on the international community from all backgrounds and ideologies, across social stratus and religions, to resist the madness leaking out of the United States.

We call for the creation of global boycotts against US made products, we call on you to contact your representatives and members of parliament and congress to apply sanctions on the Trump regime, we call on you to take part in divestment of US shares. BDS the US until the maleficent Trump regime is brought to justice.

To the citizens of the United States, this is not an attack on you but firm and necessary action against the rising tyranny that today befalls you.

Participate in your own liberation from the Trump regime by applying economic and political pressure on your house and senate representatives to push the impeachment of the Trump regime.

The Trump regime will not listen to protests in the streets, but it will crumble under protests in the work force & sanctions, divestment, and boycotts abroad.

We call on you, the citizens of the United States, to organise rolling work strikes nation-wide.

Remove your labour from the pockets of the tyrants, disrupt the markets they are so proud of, and take the reins of your governance back by building society and mass collaboration.

We are Anonymous.

We are everywhere.

We are legion.

The world will change. 

We?ll change it.

Tyrants of the World,

Expect Us!

Yawn.

Francis Albert

Not sure why anyone should be surprised. He was elected on a platform that included more extreme measures than the ban he has imposed.

And I think his actions so far,  the protests (home and perhaps particularly abroad), the liberal seethes, the celebrity and luvvie wailing can only have strengthened his support. among those who voted for him. 

Anonymous.

Massive lolz.

I'll wager The Donald won't be shaking in his shoes.

Maybe if Anonymous had spent less time being manipulated into helping get him elected they'd still have a little credibility.

Idiot bairns playing at being important while showing their naivety at every turn.

There will be repercussions from some sections of the international community but however small they may be the tide is slowly turning towards those who show blatant and wilful disregard for compassion, human rites and show a lack of any moral conscious for social and humanitarian justice and fairness towards those of ethnic backgrounds and sexual preferences.

Trump has manipulate the political stage to further his own corrupt fascist draconian views.

img_1154.jpg?w=900

We call on the international community from all backgrounds and ideologies, across social stratus and religions, to resist the madness leaking out of the United States.

We are Anonymous.

We are everywhere.

We are legion.

The world will change.

We?ll change it.

Tyrants of the World,

Expect Us!

What a laughable bunch of pussies.

Scotland freaking out about Trump and his discriminatory and bigoted views and Executive orders ...

50,000 people can sing "Up to our knees in fienian blood" and nobody is bothered.

60,000 people can sing The boys of the old brigade and other pro IRA songs and outrageous banners. And nobody cares.

Scotland - stop the hypocrisy. Get our own house in order before you point fingers at other country's actions. Lead by example on how we can all live as one.

This is a fair point.

The Real Maroonblood

Maybe if Anonymous had spent less time being manipulated into helping get him elected they'd still have a little credibility.

Idiot bairns playing at being important while showing their naivety at every turn.

Good point.

:spoton:

This is a fair point.

Its not really, the government tried something and they spat the dummy. Before that they tried something else and spat the dummy. Plus no support from the lazy polis and the overpaid pf and judges.

It'll never change until, well you know.

Anyway lets plant some more windmills on Trumps golf course or dig them up.

Here just for I8

#Digthemup

#plantthemills

This is a fair point.

It's not, Scotland isn't a thing with a single mentality that needs to look itself in the mirror. People in Scotland can be concerned about a number of things, including shitty situations at home, and still think Trump's a wank.

It's not, Scotland isn't a thing with a single mentality that needs to look itself in the mirror. People in Scotland can be concerned about a number of things, including shitty situations at home, and still think Trump's a wank.

Yes this is true, but fecking march about the bigotry and discrimination within our own country that's the poison of our society.  We have a major problem that's brushed under the carpet and all I see Trump is for us is a huge "Look over there at what he's doing"  One huge hypocritical distraction to the things we can;t even deal with on our own home soil.

Yes this is true, but fecking march about the bigotry and discrimination within our own country that's the poison of our society. We have a major problem that's brushed under the carpet and all I see Trump is for us is a huge "Look over there at what he's doing" One huge hypocritical distraction to the things we can;t even deal with on our own home soil.

It's not fair to berate people for the causes they're not visibly supporting just now though. If you started throwing your weight behind a good cause would you accept being called a for not actively supporting another one?

Are the foreign policy experts on the various 'stop Hitler' marches going to rail against the announced safe zone moves or has buzfeed conveniently not filtered that into their daily news diet?

Doesn't sound like something Goebbels would sign of on IMO. I forgot though, encouraging people to employ gangster trafficker's to put up overcrowded dinghys to cross the med in winter is far more humane. Thanks mutti Merkel. Maybe the great Islington unwashed will realise one day that cuddly platitudes in their brain dont always result in cuddly outcomes.

Edited by elvoys

Geoff Kilpatrick

Are the foreign policy experts on the various 'stop Hitler' marches going to rail against the announced safe zone moves or has buzfeed conveniently not filtered that into their daily news diet?

Doesn't sound like something Goebbels would sign of on IMO. I forgot though, encouraging people to employ gangster trafficker's to put up overcrowded dinghys to cross the med in winter is far more humane. Thanks mutti Merkel. Maybe the great Islington unwashed will realise one day that cuddly platitudes in their brain dont always result in cuddly outcomes.

You can aim your bile at trendy lefties all you like and I'd be supportive as they are tossers. However, even you must realise that a lot of mainstream opinion thinks this ban is a nonsense.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)