U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I watched Trumps presentation today and the media build up leading in.  I was surprised that he has basically contradicted two of his senior people who say that the Iran deal is working.

I stand to be ridiculed here, but Trump has fired or discredited many if not all of his senior people he has had a kiss and make up with General Kelly for the time being, but is again rumored to feel that it is not a needed position at least for him.Sessions is hanging on by his fingernails and Trump keeps dictating his own policies whilst not taking the advice of those appointed to advise. He is creating at least in his mind that he is capable of running goverment without the assistance of all these offices, he is his own man.

I think I am correct in understanding that prior or just on declaration of war the policy of two terms was suspended so that Roosevelt could continue as President. Is the two term Presidency Constitutional or is it a policy adopted by other legislation and can it be changed and by whom. I always when watching and listening to Trump have two impressions, one that his hair is like his policies, using whatever he can to cover the natural impressions to be gained, I also have often reflected back on his humorous comment when China changed its legislation to have a President for life, he cracked about how good that sounded mebbe we should try it, chuckle, chuckle, he has all the attributes of a Dictator, could he and would he have any ambition to achieve this, particularly by demonstrating on things such as the Iran deal, that he is a decision maker, and will implement them regardless of contrary advice.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maple Leaf
17 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I watched Trumps presentation today and the media build up leading in.  I was surprised that he has basically contradicted two of his senior people who say that the Iran deal is working.

I stand to be ridiculed here, but Trump has fired or discredited many if not all of his senior people he has had a kiss and make up with General Kelly for the time being, but is again rumored to feel that it is not a needed position at least for him.Sessions is hanging on by his fingernails and Trump keeps dictating his own policies whilst not taking the advice of those appointed to advise. He is creating at least in his mind that he is capable of running goverment without the assistance of all these offices, he is his own man.

I think I am correct in understanding that prior or just on declaration of war the policy of two terms was suspended so that Roosevelt could continue as President. Is the two term Presidency Constitutional or is it a policy adopted by other legislation and can it be changed and by whom. I always when watching and listening to Trump have two impressions, one that his hair is like his policies, using whatever he can to cover the natural impressions to be gained, I also have often reflected back on his humorous comment when China changed its legislation to have a President for life, he cracked about how good that sounded mebbe we should try it, chuckle, chuckle, he has all the attributes of a Dictator, could he and would he have any ambition to achieve this, particularly by demonstrating on things such as the Iran deal, that he is a decision maker, and will implement them regardless of contrary advice.

Bill Maher, late night comedian and host of a show called "Real Time", has long claimed that Trump really wants to be a dictator.  He said that there are 10 attributes of a dictator, and Trump has already achieved 9 of them.  Here is Maher's list of what dictators act like and do:

narcissism, and name on front of buildings;

family members in positions of power;

political rallies;

his own propaganda outlet (Fox);

using the office for personal financial gain;

align with other dictators and strongmen;

claim minorities are responsible for the country’s problems;

lie so freely that people don’t know what the truth is anymore.

order a military parade.

Wear military uniform. The only one he hasn’t done, yet.

29 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I think I am correct in understanding that prior or just on declaration of war the policy of two terms was suspended so that Roosevelt could continue as President. Is the two term Presidency Constitutional or is it a policy adopted by other legislation and can it be changed and by whom.

There was nothing in the Constitution as originally written about term limits, but Washington set a precedent by not seeking a third term that was followed out of custom up until FDR. The 22nd Amendment was passed by Congress shortly after the conclusion of World War II, then ratified by the requisite number of states by the early 50s, and since then there has been a two term limit.

Edit: To clarify, the process for any amendment to the Constitution is for two thirds of both houses of Congress to approve the amendment, at which time it is presented to the legislatures of all the states in the union. At least 3/4 of them must ratify the amendment before it goes into effect. At the time of the 22nd Amendment, there were 48 states, as Alaska and Hawaii hadn't been admitted yet, so 36 was sufficient. Now it's 38 out of 50 (76%, because 37 is only 74%).

The other way to make changes to the Constitution is through a constitutional convention called by the legislatures of at least 2/3 of the states, but this has never happened in history.

Edited by Justin Z

Ibrahim Tall
28 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Bill Maher, late night comedian and host of a show called "Real Time", has long claimed that Trump really wants to be a dictator.  He said that there are 10 attributes of a dictator, and Trump has already achieved 9 of them.  Here is Maher's list of what dictators act like and do:

narcissism, and name on front of buildings;

family members in positions of power;

political rallies;

his own propaganda outlet (Fox);

using the office for personal financial gain;

align with other dictators and strongmen;

claim minorities are responsible for the country’s problems;

lie so freely that people don’t know what the truth is anymore.

order a military parade.

Wear military uniform. The only one he hasn’t done, yet.

Wasn't a mile off your last point a while ago tbh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-speech-military-outfit-criticism-veterans-us-navy-a7609471.html

J.T.F.Robertson

His policies are based on vindictivness toward Obama, basically ripping apart (good or bad) his legacy. (dislike that term but it will serve for now)

It's a **** of a way to run a country. I despise the prick!

SpruceBringsteen
54 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

His policies are based on vindictivness toward Obama, basically ripping apart (good or bad) his legacy. (dislike that term but it will serve for now)

It's a **** of a way to run a country. I despise the prick!

"Mr President, what do you imagine your legacy will be?"

"That I irritated a man who told a joke about me. Bigly."

5 hours ago, XB52 said:

Once again the Zionists say jump and Trump says how high. I just hope, for once, that the uk, France etc tell him where to go and continue their part of the deal. 

MSMsheeplelibtardsIblameSoros.

Whatever the intricacies of international diplomacy, it was world class autocue reading. 

J.T.F.Robertson
Just now, Zico said:

Whatever the intricacies of international diplomacy, it was world class autocue reading. 

The idiot board.

He claims the Iran deal is "the worst deal ever", (just as almost anything he's involved in is the "greatest") and I sincerely doubt he has the first idea what any of it is about, but it was negotiated by "you know who" and therefore, "must be exterminated".

You honestly could not make this whole situation up.

So turned on the news at 5'00pm here to listen to all the discussion about Iran, not a word.  The news is full of Russian ogilarch, oligark, ochiargt, to hell with it, millionaire giving Cohen $500,000.  Many reasons being given for it, but my main man Michael Avanatti says it could be to pay for the hush money or for access to the President. This guy is becoming Trumps nightmare, if I was ever in trouble I would want him as my lawyer. I guess somehow he got the information after hearing that Mueller has that information, Mueller being quiet about it but Avanatti of course has a source. I still do not think Trump can survive for another two and a half years, he will go either run out or will resign prior to that happening. The Russian thing may be part of it, but a lot of it will be Avanatti and Stormy Daniels connection. Avanatti is not under any control such as Mueller with a mandate, a career such as White House staff, he is as he said today because of his high exposure on TV getting many calls with information and source talk, he is only responsible to two people himself and his client, if he wins he is set for life, if he loses he can write a book. I have watched and dealt with people most of my life, I have seen a number like Trump, they do have a charisma, but start to believe their own BS and sooner or later their admirers do also, generally they pull something that disgusts even their supporters, and I think the Donald is in that class, hard to believe with all that has come out it hasn't happened as yet, but it will be something stupid like kicking a dog and the sand castle will subside to the tide.

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

"Mr President, what do you imagine your legacy will be?"

"That I irritated a man who told a joke about me. Bigly."

Obama will be way above being remotely irritated by that clown. 

SpruceBringsteen
21 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Obama will be way above being remotely irritated by that clown. 

No doubt, but I bet the cretin will be patting himself on the back regardless.

Watt-Zeefuik

Oh, and Blankenship lost by a mile, thank the Lord. Amazing he got any votes at all.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

$500k, whoever it's from, paid as a "consulting fee". AT&T paying $200k for "insights into understanding the new administration" as they, coincidentally I'm sure, await approval on a merger. Meanwhile, millennials can't afford to buy houses, families are crippled by household debt, and old folk are living in poverty. What a ****ed up world.

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

MSMsheeplelibtardsIblameSoros.

Good reply, well thought out. I

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a prominent critic of the accord, said he "fully supports" Mr Trump's withdrawal from a "disastrous" deal.I

and more evidence that trump just follows what the Zionists tell him

By the following month, Mr Trump told an audience at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee annual conference that his "number one priority is to dismantle the disastrous deal with Iran" - outlining what he saw as the agreement's failure to address the nation's destabilising influence in the region and the development of its ballistic missile programme.

He said there was no "moral equivalency" between the Israelis and Palestinians in peace negotiations and that "the days of treating Israel like a second-class citizen will end" when he becomes president.

And since becoming president, Mr Trump has begun the process of moving the US embassy to Jerusalem, threatened new sanctions against Palestinians, continued his condemnations of the Iranian government and now abandoned the nuclear arms agreement with that nation - citing, in part, evidence presented by Mr Netanyahu.

Edited by XB52
Added more

Jambo-Jimbo
7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

The idiot board.

He claims the Iran deal is "the worst deal ever", (just as almost anything he's involved in is the "greatest") and I sincerely doubt he has the first idea what any of it is about, but it was negotiated by "you know who" and therefore, "must be exterminated".

You honestly could not make this whole situation up.

There was a journalist on CNN last night (can't remember her name), who claimed to have been interviewing Trump when the Iran deal was signed and the news of it broke, anyway she said that Trump said right there and then that it was a bad deal blah blah blah, she asked him what he didn't like about it, only to be told, everything, but he added that he hadn't read the deal but just knew it was a bad deal.

Jambo-Jimbo
45 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Good reply, well thought out. I

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a prominent critic of the accord, said he "fully supports" Mr Trump's withdrawal from a "disastrous" deal.I

and more evidence that trump just follows what the Zionists tell him

By the following month, Mr Trump told an audience at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee annual conference that his "number one priority is to dismantle the disastrous deal with Iran" - outlining what he saw as the agreement's failure to address the nation's destabilising influence in the region and the development of its ballistic missile programme.

He said there was no "moral equivalency" between the Israelis and Palestinians in peace negotiations and that "the days of treating Israel like a second-class citizen will end" when he becomes president.

And since becoming president, Mr Trump has begun the process of moving the US embassy to Jerusalem, threatened new sanctions against Palestinians, continued his condemnations of the Iranian government and now abandoned the nuclear arms agreement with that nation - citing, in part, evidence presented by Mr Netanyahu.

Evidence which in part was between 10-15 years old and had been widely known about for that amount of time.

A couple of months ago Mike Pompeo testified to a congress/senate committee, saying that there was no evidence to suggest that Iran was not abiding to the deal, unless something has changed in the last couple of months which the US hasn't made public prompting their decision to tear-up the deal or Iran is still abiding by the deal, and if that is the case then it makes Trump's decision all the more crazy and stupid.

Maple Leaf

It's been a long time since my Bible studying days but, if my memory serves me correctly, having a great war in the Middle East (Armageddon) is necessary to bring about the Second Coming of Jesus.

Trump's action will likely be welcomed by his Evangelical base, as a step in the right direction of ridding the world of sinners.

Francis Albert

People are missing the latest outrage. Irn Bru has been banned from the Turnberry clubhouse because if spilt it irretrievably stains the expensive carpets installed in the recent refurbishment. The link in the American news broadcast I saw stated that fresh from offending the Iranians Trump had turned to offending the Scots. We are all deeply offended apparently. Well the Chairman of the manufacturers if Irn Bru is ... or has chosen to get a bit of free publicity for his concoction by saying so. The American pronunciation of the drink incidentally is not Iron Bru with the "o" in the first word suppressed but "In Bru"" with an r inserted in the first word.

There is of course nothing in the report to suggest that Trump actually had anything to do with this momentous decision about what soft drinks the Turnberry bar serves.

Edited by Francis Albert

Maple Leaf
59 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

People are missing the latest outrage. Irn Bru has been banned from the Turnberry clubhouse because if spilt it irretrievably stains the expensive carpets installed in the recent refurbishment. The link in the American news broadcast I saw stated that fresh from offending the Iranians Trump had turned to offending the Scots. We are all deeply offended apparently. Well the Chairman of the manufacturers if Irn Bru is ... or has chosen to get a bit of free publicity for his concoction by saying so. The American pronunciation of the drink incidentally is not Iron Bru with the "o" in the first word suppressed but "In Bru"" with an r inserted in the first word.

There is of course nothing in the report to suggest that Trump actually had anything to do with this momentous decision about what soft drinks the Turnberry bar serves.

I had my first-ever taste of Irn Bru about a month ago.  I got halfway through a small can when the room started to spin, so that was the end of that.  I think I was OD'ing on sugar!

I haven't figured out a way to blame that experience on Trump, but give me time.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

You would think Trump golf courses and hotels would be used to a big orange stain:greggy:

Bindy Badgy

33 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I had my first-ever taste of Irn Bru about a month ago.  I got halfway through a small can when the room started to spin, so that was the end of that.  I think I was OD'ing on sugar!

I haven't figured out a way to blame that experience on Trump, but give me time.  :wink:

Must have been an old batch. They've reduced the sugar content in response to the sugar tax.

Now that is an outrage!

On 5/9/2018 at 08:53, XB52 said:

Good reply, well thought out.

I didn't realise it would go so far over your head.

Sorry about that.

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I didn't realise it would go so far over your head.

Sorry about that.

Hmm. Now far be it for me to sympathise with the tinfoil wearers - but riddle me this Uly.

- Mike Pompeo was sworn in as Secretary of State on 26 April

- His first trip abroad? To Israel.

- Israel announces it has evidence that Iran has continued its nuclear programme - apparently, in an unguarded warehouse :rolleyes:

- Trump unilaterally withdraws from the Iran deal

- Israel immediately begins attacking Iranian interests in Syria

If you seriously think that none of the above is connected in any way, then well... :whistling:

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ah here, Shaun.  You didn't read my post properly either. 

Oh yes I did. It was pretty lazy tbh. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Oh yes I did. It was pretty lazy tbh. 

Over your head too? Ah well. 

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

West coast poison Maple. Leave well alone or you may end up speaking like a Weegie.

That would be bad form and terrible for your teeth. Think Neil Lennon.

4 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

You would think Trump golf courses and hotels would be used to a big orange stain:greggy:

5af4bb484443f_clintnod.gif.dcd75ae6f4882e534998f1d02229a9a2.gif

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

West coast poison Maple. Leave well alone or you may end up speaking like a Weegie.

That would be bad form and terrible for your teeth. Think Neil Lennon.

Once bitten, twice shy.  :sick:

Maple Leaf

All quiet on the festerin' front.

Has someone cancelled Trump's Twitter account?

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Trump and the GOP quietly and slowly improving in polls as America gets closer to the midterm elections.

Kim Jong Un to dismantle his Nuclear testing sites, wonder how much influence Trump had on this.

Mac_fae_Gillie
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Kim Jong Un to dismantle his Nuclear testing sites, wonder how much influence Trump had on this.

Zero.. site is unusable for months since it collapsed killing about 200(news iffy on exact figure) fear of radiation leaks too so pretty sure adding more radiation is not on the cards. May be that NK gets money to help them sort it out if they claim its dismantlement as part of the deal.

Harry Potter
25 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Zero.. site is unusable for months since it collapsed killing about 200(news iffy on exact figure) fear of radiation leaks too so pretty sure adding more radiation is not on the cards. May be that NK gets money to help them sort it out if they claim its dismantlement as part of the deal.

Cheers.

Maple Leaf

I wonder if Iran will proceed with its plans to buy 80 Boeing jet airliners to replace an ageing fleet, now that America has reneged on the Iran nuclear deal?

Bridge of Djoum
On 5/3/2018 at 17:38, Notts1874 said:

I'm crying into my pina colada in Cuba :greggy:

You never mentioned you were in Cuba..:D

Image result for del boy pina colada

Edited by New York Fleapit

Francis Albert
22 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Trump and the GOP quietly and slowly improving in polls as America gets closer to the midterm elections.

Noticed that too. But he is the worst human being ever to occupy the White House so his opponents can rely on impeachment or some other gift from the law or the gods.

Where is the serious opposition to him? The sort of opposition that might actually attract voters away from him

Am i missing something here? America first and all that....Funny way of imposing tarrifs Donald.

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Am i missing something here? America first and all that....Funny way of imposing tarrifs Donald.

Mr. Putin WhatsApped certain photos to Mr. Xi.  NAP.

Something obscene about Jarvanka and co sipping champagne as these people are mowed down by Israeli bullets.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Something obscene about Jarvanka and co sipping champagne as these people are mowed down by Israeli bullets.

Equally pretty obscene from Hamas telling thousands of young men to storm the border fences, knowing full well that they'll be mowing down by Israeli bullets.

The more the better, as one senior Hamas official said on Sky News during an interview last night, now that's pretty sick if you ask me, telling people to martyr themselves on the fences.

Both as bad as each other imo.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Equally pretty obscene from Hamas telling thousands of young men to storm the border fences, knowing full well that they'll be mowing down by Israeli bullets.

The more the better, as one senior Hamas official said on Sky News during an interview last night, now that's pretty sick if you ask me, telling people to martyr themselves on the fences.

I get the feeling that is the tip of the iceberg of violence that will erupt shortly. All thanks to Irn Bru hater and Liar n Tweet Donnie J Chump. 

Ibrahim Tall

To be honest as much as I don't agree with a lot that Israel does, I'm not sure the IDF should entirely be being 'blamed' for this. 

If there's thousands charging the 'barrier' in mass at one time there's little other option to use than live ammunition, rubber bullets etc won't put people off on that scale. 

Hamas etc have sent people to their deaths there knowing exactly that and knowing their 'martyr' will recruit a few other relatives as a result. 

Its a ****ed up situation that shouldn't be happening but it's nowhere near as simple as the 'Israel=bad' narrative some of the media are running with.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

Mac_fae_Gillie
21 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I wonder if Iran will proceed with its plans to buy 80 Boeing jet airliners to replace an ageing fleet, now that America has reneged on the Iran nuclear deal?

Would US sanctions ref the Nuke deal now mean Iran can't buy them.. that would be so great if they buy Euro planes instead. But no doubt an excuse will be made to allow deal to go ahead.

Ibrahim Tall
8 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Would US sanctions ref the Nuke deal now mean Iran can't buy them.. that would be so great if they buy Euro planes instead. But no doubt an excuse will be made to allow deal to go ahead.

Unlikely, Airbus use a lot of US components so they'd likewise be shafted. 

1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

To be honest as much as I don't agree with a lot that Israel does, I'm not sure the IDF should entirely be being 'blamed' for this. 

If there's thousands charging the 'barrier' in mass at one time there's little other option to use than live ammunition, rubber bullets etc won't put people off on that scale. 

Hamas etc have sent people to their deaths there knowing exactly that and knowing their 'martyr' will recruit a few other relatives as a result. 

Its a ****ed up situation that shouldn't be happening but it's nowhere near as simple as the 'Israel=bad' narrative some of the media are running with.

Israel=bad narrative, you must be ducking joking. Unless you are reading the Palestinian daily news. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

This is where I am on this issue as well.

I just don't see what other choice the IDF have when faced with hundreds/thousands of people trying to storm the border and get into Israel, and once there to do god knows what.

Hamas are using their own people as canon-fodder and then blaming the Israeli's when there are deaths.

Agreed it shouldn't be happening, but a lot of things in the Middle East past and present need not be happening.

shaun.lawson
3 hours ago, JackLadd said:

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Both of these. :sad: And the ultimate responsibility lies with Trump, for his disgraceful decision on Jerusalem. I think his grotesque administration knew full well what it was doing - but when it comes to dead Palestinians, it just couldn't give a shit.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)