U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Maple Leaf

Follow the bouncing ball here:

- the US imposes sanctions on North Korea and Iran because of their nuclear programs

- Chinese company ZTE does an end-run on the sanctions, and continues to do business with those two countries

- the US Dept of Commerce discovers ZTE's actions, and bans them from buying any America products.  ZTE looks like going bankrupt, which will cost thousands of Chinese jobs

- China announces that it will grant Ivanka Trump seven patents for a broad range of Trump businesses, worth potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to the Trump family

-  Donald Trump tweets that he will help ZTE stay in business, and strikes a deal with the Chinese for lighter sanctions against the Company

I'm sure it's all just a coincidence, right?

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik

From what I hear Michelle's experiences being adjacent to her husband, as well as watching what the media did to Clinton (with whom she remains on friendly terms), have left her wanting nothing to do with national politics ever again.

It's early yet but if I had to pick a preference from the current extremely crowded field of candidates, I'd pick Kamala Harris. Amy Klobuchar, Sherrod Brown, Jay Inslee, and Kristen Gillibrand also look acceptable at the moment.

Watt-Zeefuik

Missed this -- Trump is also talking about pardoning scumbag former Illinois Governor Blago, a Democrat who went to prison for auctioning off a political appointment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-offers-pardon-to-conservative-pundit-dinesh-dsouza-for-campaign-finance-violations/2018/05/31/b4939a08-64d5-11e8-a768-ed043e33f1dc_story.html

Almost like he's trying to set a precedent. 

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I am not sure Mrs Obama will ever run for President,  I am still not sure Trump will be around for 2020. He has just pardoned an individual who was convicted of offences under the Federal Election campaign laws. He has just placed tariffs on Canada and Mexico and the European Union. So he is now in potential trade wars with China, EU, possibly Canada and Mexico. All to placate his base.  His lawyer Giulianii a man who had a certain respect from his 9/11 actions appeared on tv last night with Hannity and portrayed himself as a silly old man who has lost it, told lies, and slavered a bunch of crap.  Trump gave a speech I watched in Tenessee the other night, he shouts and acts forceful, but he repeated himself, again lied through his teeth, he made statements like MS 13 are in Long Island we have deported thousands but there are still thousands more coming in.  Now I am not the sharpest tool in the box, but is it not possible if this is true, which it is not, that you are putting them out one door and they are just coming back in a different door.

There is something to be produced by Mueller, and Trump knows it he is taking ac tions now to try and divert it, but he is surrounded by people lacking in any ethics, and by his own assessments incompetent, it can only last so long.  Beware the Stormy Daniels lawyer, sometimes the threat you watch so carefully is not the real danger, its the one you think doesn,t matter.

why do you think he wants his wall

Maple Leaf
19 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

DeimJ4uUwAAHMVX.jpg

:cornette: 

So Martha Stewart is pardoned for being a fan.  Another pardonee once appeared on The Apprentice.

The US might as well stop having trials for high profile offenders.

Simply let Trump decide what punishment is appropriate.  That should reduce the backlog of cases in the courts.

shaun.lawson

Dinesh D'Souza counts among his fans one @i8hibsh. Here is Dinesh D'Souza's view of slavery.

Deiw2nKWAAAGCJY.jpg

"The American slave was treated like property, which is to say, pretty well".

What next? Auschwitz: The Laughter Years?

Edited by shaun.lawson

This is probably why his crooked lawyer Cohen has not flipped yet - he knows Trump will pardon him.  Trump is sending out a clear signal to anyone in the FBI's crosshairs with any link to his dirty deeds that I will pardon you. 

Apparently a few of the people pardoned were investigated by Comey. CNN showed a clip of Martha Stewart before the election, she states that she was going to vote for Hillary Clinton because Trump was not prepared for the position. As said by another poster these are messages to apparent witnesses who might flip to let them know they will be pardoned.

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Dinesh D'Souza counts among his fans one @i8hibsh. Here is Dinesh D'Souza's view of slavery.

Deiw2nKWAAAGCJY.jpg

"The American slave was treated like property, which is to say, pretty well".

What next? Auschwitz: The Laughter Years?

It's still pretty surreal reading the writings of a brown, white supremacist. But there it is, in black and white.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

It's still pretty surreal reading the writings of a brown, white supremacist. But there it is, in black and white.

I think he's convinced that if he's just racist enough they'll let him into the club and call him white.

Reminds me of the Vice video about the Old Firm years ago with the I think Pakistani dude who was a Rangers fan and an EDL member, clearly for the same reason.

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

I think he's convinced that if he's just racist enough they'll let him into the club and call him white.

Reminds me of the Vice video about the Old Firm years ago with the I think Pakistani dude who was a Rangers fan and an EDL member, clearly for the same reason.

I've seen him, doesn't realise he's being used. Embarrassing.

Sorry Americans, but the RoW should shut the door on you until he's gone. Enjoy who you voted for while we don't have to put up with him. 

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry Americans, but the RoW should shut the door on you until he's gone. Enjoy who you voted for while we don't have to put up with him. 

I have. I feel bad about it, but I refuse to travel there while he's President. Which has resulted in me rejecting my best friend's invite while she's on the West coast this summer. 

It's just my own personal boycott. If enough others did likewise though, change would result.

Edited by shaun.lawson

13 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I have. I feel bad about it, but I refuse to travel there while he's President. Which has resulted in me rejecting my best friend's invite while she's on the West coast this summer. 

It's just my own personal boycott. If enough others did likewise though, change would result.

As one famous American said One small step...

The Real Maroonblood
56 minutes ago, Barack said:

The **** is that wibbling shite all about? :lol:

The President of The United States of America.

:bolt:

What about the special relationship?

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A sentiment we can all appreciate. ?

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the RoW?

22 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the RoW?

Rest of the World?

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Rest of the World?

Thank you, I was overthinking it and trying to figure out if it was some UK office of immigration or something.

At this point an international trade war against the US won't be good for the US but may be the only way to smack some sense back into the GOP that seems to have allowed the "last superpower standing" stuff to go to its head.

J.T.F.Robertson
1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

The list of items with retaliatory tariffs is hilarious. ? 

Will teach him to mess with us. :mad:

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Will teach him to mess with us. :mad:

One of the items that Canada is putting tariff's on is American-made toilet paper.

I might have to start buying right wing newspapers.  :arf:

11 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

They should just put a tariff on Trump.

shaun.lawson

I'm not sure I've ever seen a motion placed before the UNSC only receive one vote in favour before.

SO MUCH WINNING

So the President of the United States of America is asked about a letter he received, hand delivered from the leader of North Korea. He responded to the question with the statement it was very nice, very interesting, he was asked how he will respond, he answered I don't know I haven't read it yet, I haven't opened it yet. Some wonder why his legal team do not want him to submit to an interview with Mueller, well the above  comments make it very clear to me why, the man is a pathological liar, he lies for no reason,  he just opens his mouth and lies, if he does that under oath he will commit a crime of lying to a Federal agent, he will definitely be impeached,  but its o.k because in his world of myth he will think because he is President he can give himself a pardon.

There are laws which restrict mentally challenged from availing themselves of firearms,  here we have a situation where sane people will again vote to elect this definitley challenged individual to be in charge of nuclear weapons, only in America you say.

Trump's lawyers now claiming that he cannot be called to give evidence as he has supreme authority over the courts.

They also reckon he could simply pardon himself.

The USA is sliding into a dictatorship.

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Cade said:

The USA is sliding into a dictatorship.

It's ok, the people are armed to protect themselves against the government.

shaun.lawson

This is why NFL players kneel, Mr President.

And this guy, by the way? He was a bystander. They weren't even after him.

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Has Giuliani gone ****ing senile?

Caught that on the need earlier. The closest the west has got to any progress and he comes out with his 'hands and knees' statement. Does this clown think its the high school yard?  Stupidity beyond believe. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

He's made an utter tit of himself since day one. 

This latest drivel, (for wont of a better pun) trumps his opening week Cohen ramble. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the next thing NK says: "Is **** your meeting then." In nicer diplomatic language. 

That's the key point. So close and this idiot says that. NK might just do that.  All that effort and rudi things he's in the godfather. He should be slapped in public. 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Just a "metaphor" he says.

Like Trump could shoot Comey and get away with it, was an exaggeration on Trump's potential Presidential Pardon for himself.

Guy's turned into an absolute header. Undoing all his credit from his time as Mayor, and his work in 9/11. Booed at a Yankee's game the other day. His birthday. By New Yorker's.

Says it all.

I live on a hebridean island and meet a lot of American tourists. The sad thing is that most of them are happy with trump. They do actually think he's a breath of fresh air. If NK change their mind because of this he should pay for it.

6 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I live on a hebridean island and meet a lot of American tourists. The sad thing is that most of them are happy with trump. They do actually think he's a breath of fresh air. If NK change their mind because of this he should pay for it.

Well, your fat middle America white trash all love Chump. One of their own after all. 

Just now, JackLadd said:

Well, your fat middle America white trash all love Chump. One of their own after all. 

Politically they do seem a wee bit slack headed. After a minute talking politics, you know you're wasting your time and just nod along. Its a pointless exercise even trying to engage with them. 

Seymour M Hersh
13 hours ago, Elmore said:

Caught that on the need earlier. The closest the west has got to any progress and he comes out with his 'hands and knees' statement. Does this clown think its the high school yard?  Stupidity beyond believe. 

And yet how is it they have got this close?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

alwaysthereinspirit
14 hours ago, JackLadd said:

I seriously doubt anyone on here met your so called "fat middle America white trash" on any Hebridean island.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And yet how is it they have got this close?

Trump calling him Rocket man? It seems to have worked.  

30 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I seriously doubt anyone on here met your so called "fat middle America white trash" on any Hebridean island.

I haven't and have lived here a while.  The two I spoke to were slightly tanned...

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

My experience with American white trash is that they don't move far from home, except when to a Correctional Institute of some sort.

Had lots of dealings with American tourists, in Edinburgh and in various places in the world where we shared mutual destinations. Some can be loud and overbearing, some preach patriotism and USA too much, but in general they, Americans, are pretty much like ourselves, grabbing what they can out of life,  at the best level they can.

If you want really obnoxious go to Las Vegas, and get the drunken Scots who, do not illustrate the values, manners and dignity of their countrymen,but  have an exaggerated accent and cause everyone to be embarrassed by them, especially those of us who have a Scots accent.

How can Trump continue to maintain Pruitt and Giuliani in his employment. Pruitt is a user, verges on fraudulent, with his financial actions, and should be replaced, it is commonly accepted that he does a good job for the EPA, but at what cost morally.

Giuliani is a blithering idiot who opens his mouth and speaks absolute rubbish, as has been said by numerous respondents there is something not right with him, senility, dementia, or just plain stupid.

J.T.F.Robertson

Donald, seemingly, "does not think he has to prepare very much" for the NK summit, it's all about "attitude", wtf that's supposed to mean.

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Seymour. It wounds me so, that your rebuttal consists of such base sarcasm.

:lol:

Well you had eight years to do something and never got a sniff of a meeting. :levein_interesting:

Maple Leaf

Canada's Trudeau apparently phoned Trump to complain about his tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium, stating that it was an offensive way to treat an ally.  Trump responded by saying that Canada had burned down the White House during the war of 1812.

To the growing list of Trump's idiotic comments, we can add that one.

It was the British who burned down the White House.  Canada didn't come into existence until 1867.

Maple Leaf
On 31/05/2018 at 10:59, Maple Leaf said:

Follow the bouncing ball here:

- the US imposes sanctions on North Korea and Iran because of their nuclear programs

- Chinese company ZTE does an end-run on the sanctions, and continues to do business with those two countries

- the US Dept of Commerce discovers ZTE's actions, and bans them from buying any America products.  ZTE looks like going bankrupt, which will cost thousands of Chinese jobs

- China announces that it will grant Ivanka Trump seven patents for a broad range of Trump businesses, worth potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to the Trump family

-  Donald Trump tweets that he will help ZTE stay in business, and strikes a deal with the Chinese for lighter sanctions against the Company

I'm sure it's all just a coincidence, right?

And the deal is done.  State-owned ZTE will be given a second chance, after getting off the hook by paying a fine.

So all Trump's pre-election blather about being tough on China was just so much hot air.  He lets a Chinese company off the hook for violating American law on trade sanctions, but continues to impose trade tariffs against his allies.

Putin must be delighted.  Trump is turning out to be even disruptive to the West than he could possibly have imagined.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Canada's Trudeau apparently phoned Trump to complain about his tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium, stating that it was an offensive way to treat an ally.  Trump responded by saying that Canada had burned down the White House during the war of 1812.

To the growing list of Trump's idiotic comments, we can add that one.

It was the British who burned down the White House.  Canada didn't come into existence until 1867.

No way he said that.

There again nothing would surprise me with that buffoon.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)