U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Maple Leaf

"You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God that they will never be used."  Says the biggest, bestest deal maker in history.

"I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up .... and ultimately it is only dialogue that matters."  What??

"That was a beautiful gesture ... "  Almost as beautiful as The Wall will be.

" ... great prosperity and wealth."  Isn't that the same thing?

The letter is nothing better than the babbling of a teenager, just like his inauguration speech.  Who does his writing for him?

And as for that pretentious signature?  Look at me, look at me.

• Replies 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik

Meanwhile the President's new "zero tolerance" policy for asylum seekers at the border has separated 7,000 children from their families.

They've LOST TRACK of over 1,400 of them. That's over a thousand children that our idiot xenophobic authoritarian President has quite likely permanently separated from their families.

http://tucson.com/news/local/parents-children-ensnared-in-zero-tolerance-border-prosecutions/article_e6b83d53-f4bd-566d-8487-9e9b67ef2bd8.html

I can't think about this and not burn with rage.

Ibrahim Tall
51 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Meanwhile the President's new "zero tolerance" policy for asylum seekers at the border has separated 7,000 children from their families.

They've LOST TRACK of over 1,400 of them. That's over a thousand children that our idiot xenophobic authoritarian President has quite likely permanently separated from their families.

http://tucson.com/news/local/parents-children-ensnared-in-zero-tolerance-border-prosecutions/article_e6b83d53-f4bd-566d-8487-9e9b67ef2bd8.html

I can't think about this and not burn with rage.

We’re sorry. This site is temporarily unavailable.

We recognise you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore cannot grant you access at this time.“

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

We’re sorry. This site is temporarily unavailable.

We recognise you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore cannot grant you access at this time.“

The country of the free.

Jambo-Jimbo

One of my daughters landed at LAX Airport last night from the UK, she's on holiday (Los Angeles/Las Vegas etc etc).

She texted to say that she has just met the most ignorant obnoxious arrogant & rude arsehole she's ever met, at immigration, a wonderful first impression of America (not).

Instead of welcoming tourists visiting and spending their money in America, she got treated like she was a potential criminal/terrorist.

Is this the face of America under Trump?

peter_hmfc
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of my daughters landed at LAX Airport last night from the UK, she's on holiday (Los Angeles/Las Vegas etc etc).

She texted to say that she has just met the most ignorant obnoxious arrogant & rude arsehole she's ever met, at immigration, a wonderful first impression of America (not).

Instead of welcoming tourists visiting and spending their money in America, she got treated like she was a potential criminal/terrorist.

Wait until she gets to New York, holy **** is she in for a shock.

Some of, if not thee, worst people I've ever met and then some.

Edited by peter_hmfc

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No. I was treated the same at Dulles Washington DC way back in 2003.

Mac_fae_Gillie
49 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing to do with Trump. Not defending that piece of crap. But US immigration are so darn straight laced, pole up the back passage, bag of power mad bankers for a decade. And slow as hell with zero humour.. I will never get a connecting flight in USA again got to get lay over thx to the long queues you get in thx to immigration too risky even with a 4hour connection I made it by 10 mins last time thru Miami.(2012) and missed my Chicago-Indy flight even though I had just under 4hours.(2005)

Rodger Mellie
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It’s not just immigration officials that are obnoxious in the US. Every government official i’ve had the pleasure of dealing with has been rude, with a special mention to the folks at the  Department  of Motor Vehicles.

Let's not act like the ignorant arsehole Trump is. Been to the states many times and met wonderful people, including officials at airports.

Hell, I even love the brashness of New Yorkers, it makes them what they are.The immigration guy on my last trip was the most pleasant person on the whole trip.

Biggest arsehole was the guy at Edinbugh airport on the way home.

A prick. They're everywhere, folks !

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Let's not act like the ignorant arsehole Trump is. Been to the states many times and met wonderful people, including officials at airports.

Hell, I even love the brashness of New Yorkers, it makes them what they are.The immigration guy on my last trip was the most pleasant person on the whole trip.

Exactly. One time I arrived in the States, in LA, the guy at immigration asked me where  was staying. I said that I had no idea yet (I was backpacking so was heading for the Sunset Boulevard area for a few days), so he said "No problem" and filled in a made-up address for me on my immigration form (1 Main Street or something like that), said "That should do you. Have a lovely stay" (or words to that effect) and waved me through.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeah, because there are no utter bell ends and arseholes in the UK! Having said that INS/Border Agents have always been unfriendly at airports in the US. But then their job is not to be the welcome wagon.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's the EU causing it.

Thank goodness for Brexit. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thank goodness for Brexit. 

:D  I don't know if you are being ironic or not, but the UK will be retaining virtually all of the GDPR in a Data Protection Act when we leave.

Personally, I'm glad that the EU is standing up to the big corporations and their data abuse. It is the only organisation in the world that has the clout to do so (would the Americans stand up to big business?) and is one of the great arguments for the EU - individually we can do virtually nothing, together we have clout.

peter_hmfc

Some of the worst people I've ever met are American, and this is before we get into arsehole New Yorkers and Irish-Americans obsessed with the IRA.

Californians are terrible too, a more self-obsessed and vapid area of people you will struggle to find.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It was the same when I visited c.1990

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D  I don't know if you are being ironic or not, but the UK will be retaining virtually all of the GDPR in a Data Protection Act when we leave.

Personally, I'm glad that the EU is standing up to the big corporations and their data abuse. It is the only organisation in the world that has the clout to do so (would the Americans stand up to big business?) and is one of the great arguments for the EU - individually we can do virtually nothing, together we have clout.

It was tongue in cheek.

The Americans wouldn't stand up to big business IMO.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Jack Johnson posthumously pardoned. 

Well done Trump.

Wow!

He's actually done something positive since taking office. 

What a guy.

Rocco_Jambo
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wow!

He's actually done something positive since taking office. 

What a guy.

Agreed. 

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Boab said:

That's my experience too.

Some are pleasant, some are unpleasant regardless of the country you're in.

Watt-Zeefuik

US border agents have always been kind of dickish to non-citizens, but it got demonstrably worse after the creation of DHS under the Bush admin, and Obama did almost nothing to improve matters.

That said, we didn't used to do this. (Sorry for the EU-unfriendly link above, here's the full text):

Parents, children ensnared in 'zero-tolerance' border prosecutions
By Curt Prendergast and Perla Trevizo Arizona Daily Star  May 19, 2018 Updated 13 hrs ago  

Alma Jacinto covered her eyes with her hands as tears streamed down her cheeks.

The 36-year-old from Guatemala was led out of the federal courtroom without an answer to the question that brought her to tears: When would she see her boys again?

Jacinto wore a yellow bracelet on her left wrist, which defense lawyers said identifies parents who are arrested with their children and prosecuted in Operation Streamline, a fast-track program for illegal border crossers.

Moments earlier, her public defender asked the magistrate judge when Jacinto would be reunited with her sons, ages 8 and 11. There was no clear answer for Jacinto, who was sentenced to time served on an illegal-entry charge after crossing the border with her sons near Lukeville on May 14.

Parents who cross the border illegally with their children may face criminal charges as federal prosecutors in Tucson follow through on a recent directive from Attorney General Jeff Sessions to prosecute all valid cases, said U.S. Attorney’s Office spokesman Cosme Lopez.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection started referring families caught crossing illegally for prosecution several weeks ago, Lopez said. Those prosecutions unfold both in Streamline cases and through individual prosecutions.

On Thursday, Efrain Chun Carlos, also from Guatemala, received more information than Jacinto when he asked Magistrate Judge Lynnette C. Kimmins about his child during Streamline proceedings.

“I only wanted to ask about the whereabouts of my child in this country,” Chun said.

Kimmins responded she didn’t know where his child was and suggested he ask officials at the facility where he will be detained.

Christopher Lewis, the federal prosecutor at the hearing, told Kimmins that children from countries that are not contiguous to the United States will be placed in foster care with the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

“When they will be reunited, I cannot say because that’s an immigration matter,” Lewis said.

A spokesman for CBP did not provide information about the process for parents and children apprehended by Border Patrol and those presenting themselves at ports of entry.

It is still unclear what happens to the children of parents who are prosecuted, said Laura St. John, legal director with the Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights Project based in Arizona. Technically, once the child is separated from the parent they are deemed an unaccompanied minor and their cases should be processed separately.

If parents are deported, they can ask that their children go with them or ask that the child be reunited with another sponsor in the U.S., which gives the child a chance to fight an immigration case on his/her own as an unaccompanied child, consulate officials and attorneys said. If the parent decides to fight the case and is released from ICE custody, they can request to be reunited outside detention.

DETERRENT EFFECT
Lopez said he did not know how many prosecutions of parents with children had occurred so far. The Arizona Daily Star found nine Streamline cases last week in which defendants asked the judge about their minor children.

The parents in those cases were arrested by Border Patrol agents near Lukeville between May 12 and May 15. Eight of them were from Guatemala and one was from El Salvador. Seven were men and two were women.

In an April 6 memorandum to federal prosecutors, Sessions announced a “zero tolerance” policy for first-time illegal border crossers. On May 7, he said the Department of Homeland Security was referring 100 percent of illegal crossers for criminal prosecution in federal court.

“If you cross this border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you,” Sessions said. “It’s that simple.”

He included parents who come with their children in his directive.

“If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child may be separated from you as required by law,” he said.

Criminal prosecutions of parents illegally crossing with their children have unfolded in Texas for several months, as have separations of families through civil immigration measures along much of the U.S.-Mexico border, according to media reports.

Border Patrol statistics show fewer apprehensions of families in sectors in Texas so far in fiscal 2018, which began last October, compared with the same period in fiscal 2017. Meanwhile, those apprehensions rose 103 percent in the Yuma Sector and 69 percent in the Tucson Sector.

In an interview with National Public Radio, White House Chief of Staff John Kellly said family separation could be a tough deterrent, “a much faster turnaround on asylum seekers.”

The children would be “put into foster care or whatever,” Kelly said in response to criticism that taking a mother from her child is cruel and heartless.

“But the big point is they elected to come illegally into the United States and this is a technique that no one hopes will be used extensively or for very long,” Kelly told NPR.

Border Patrol agents in the Tucson Sector apprehended 2,500 people crossing the border as families from October to the end of April, CBP records show. In the Yuma Sector, agents apprehended nearly 8,000. The borderwide total is nearly 50,000, down from 59,500 during the same period in fiscal 2017.

At Arizona’s ports of entry, about 5,500 people traveling as families were deemed inadmissible from October to April. The borderwide total was 30,000, up from about 21,000 during the same period in fiscal 2017.

CASA ALITAS HELPS SOME
The number of Salvadorans arriving at the border has increased about 40 percent compared to last year, said German Alvarez Oviedo, the consul in Tucson. He estimated the total is still in the dozens but didn’t have final numbers yet.

“There’s no policy of family separation as such,” he said, “but by declaring a zero-tolerance policy and prosecuting everyone who comes in, it results in family separation.”

If the parent gets sentenced to time served, which is common for first-time entrants, officials should consider keeping young children with their parents, he said.

“It’s not the same to be under the care of the mother than a shelter, especially when the child is 2,” Alvarez Oviedo said.

The government has struggled to handle the increase of families coming across the border — at ports of entry and between the ports — since the numbers first started to rise in 2014.

Initially, officials allowed parents with children to enter the country under humanitarian parole. They were dropped off at a bus station in Tucson with an appointment to meet with ICE at their final destination within two weeks.

Later, officials started to release them, but with an ankle bracelet to limit what critics called a catch-and-release policy, since not all parents kept their appointments. The government also increased detention space for families.

This past week, more than 100 parents and children — many of them Guatemalans — lined up at the port of entry in downtown Nogales to be processed for entry into the United States, some waiting more than a day.

In general, the parents waiting to cross at the port who have no prior immigration history are processed and released with their children in Tucson with an ankle monitor and an appointment to meet with immigration officials. In at least one case, the families said, a man with prior immigration violations was separated from his son to be prosecuted.

Some of the families the Star spoke with Monday on the Mexican side of the port of entry went to Casa Alitas, a house in Tucson opened by Catholic Community Services to avoid having families spend the night at bus stations. Families can bathe, get clean clothes and eat a warm meal while their relatives buy their bus or plane tickets.

In a written statement, ICE officials said the agency prioritizes placing families in residential centers. But if they are operating at capacity, “We can also look for temporary hotel space or consider alternatives to detention, such as supervised paroles or use of ankle placement for monitoring.”

The families said customs officials at the Nogales port of entry didn’t ask them many questions, besides their reasons for coming to the United States.

Extortion, domestic violence and extreme poverty were all reasons they were seeking a better future in the United States, they told the Star.

The lack of rain also was hurting their ability to survive. For coffee farmers, their fields weren’t producing enough and their crops were more susceptible to plagues they had no money to treat.

Katherine Smith, site and volunteer coordinator at Casa Alitas, said few families came last fall. Then it started to pick up around Christmas, with ICE trying to find placement for 100 people in one day.

It had slowed again until recently, when ICE started to ask Casa Alitas daily if it could take 40 to 60 parents and children the agency was releasing, Smith said.

Smith doesn’t know the reason for the increase, other than the normal rise in Southern Arizona right before the triple-digit heat of summer.

As of May 7, the Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights Project had served 135 families separated by immigration authorities this year. At this rate, the group said, family separations are on pace to increase 75 percent from recent years.

Given recent announcements by federal officials, they believe the numbers will continue to rise, although it doesn’t mean that all of them were prosecuted, the group said.

“A number of these families appear to have a real fear of returning to their country of origin,” said St. John, the Florence Project’s legal director. “Fleeing or leaving a child behind to avoid being separated by the U.S. government is not a choice any parent should have to make.”

SpruceBringsteen
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's my experience too.

Some are pleasant, some are unpleasant regardless of the country you're in.

Yep, not even sure why that has to be said!

First time I came across here, had a laugh with the immigration guy.

Second time, the immigration guy was an absolute arsehole.

When I met immigration upon my move here, I was treated like a VIP.

It's almost as if everyone is different.

10 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Yep, not even sure why that has to be said!

First time I came across here, had a laugh with the immigration guy.

Second time, the immigration guy was an absolute arsehole.

When I met immigration upon my move here, I was treated like a VIP.

It's almost as if everyone is different.

I'm not different!

The NFL have taken action against players not standing for the National Anthem. Herr Trump has stated they should leave the Country. 80% of the NFL players are black, The Great Dictator seems to have forgotten that a great many black men and boys left the Country to go to Vietnam, not all because they wanted to, but because they had to because quite a number of young whites had excuses to be excluded from the draft, Mr Trump are you aware of that, you must have been in that age group did you meet many of them when you done your military service.

Bridge of Djoum
10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've been traveling here for years before I moved over. Immigration officers are utter arseholes, regardless of who is in the White House.

Maple Leaf

The leaders of the two Koreas had a surprise meeting on Saturday.  Another meeting with top officials of the two countries is scheduled for June 1, and other meetings between their respective generals are being planned.

These two fellas should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the meantime, Trump, the best deal-maker in the world, is sitting at home in a huff.

SpruceBringsteen
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The leaders of the two Koreas had a surprise meeting on Saturday.  Another meeting with top officials of the two countries is scheduled for June 1, and other meetings between their respective generals are being planned.

In the meantime, Trump, the best deal-maker in the world, is sitting at home in a huff.

It's the weekend, is he no on the golf course ignoring his wife and fiddling his score?

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So are America getting rid of nukes? Oh right just everyone else.

That’s the laughafable thing about this scenario.

We have them but no else should have them.

Don’t you know the Yanks are the good guys?

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s the laughafable thing about this scenario.

We have them but no else should have them.

Don’t you know the Yanks are the good guys?

That good guy myth of the USA/UK is now rightly realised for the nonsense it is. The US as you know, are the only country to ever nuke another, twice. 

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Sausage
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Kim Jong-Un should be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. 

Of all the utter shite I’ve read on kickback over the years, this is head and shoulders above the rest. 

The Real Maroonblood
40 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

Of all the utter shite I’ve read on kickback over the years, this is head and shoulders above the rest. 

You might be right.

He's playing a blinder against Trumpet. 

54 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

Why?

Is it only our side that gets them. That lassie fae Burma comes to mind.

Captain Sausage
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why?

Is it only our side that gets them. That lassie fae Burma comes to mind.

He is a psychotic murdering despot. He literally tortures and kills anyone who disagrees with him. He has concentration camps for Gods sake. 

Maybe a wee read of this would help...

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/north-korea

28 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

He is a psychotic murdering despot. He literally tortures and kills anyone who disagrees with him. He has concentration camps for Gods sake. 

Maybe a wee read of this would help...

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/north-korea

Aye, Saddam had WMD. 

Oh did The empire not invent these camps? 

Captain Sausage
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, Saddam had WMD. 

Oh did The empire not invent these camps? 

Sorry, just to clarify - you are disputing that Kim Jong Un runs concentration camps for political dissidents?

The International Bar Association War Crimes Committee stated in December:

"There is sufficient evidence to establish that perpetrators ranging from Kim Jong Un to lower-level prison guards perpetrated, and continue to perpetrate, crimes against humanity in North Korean political prison camps,"

For anyone to, even in jest, suggest this animal is worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize is nothing short of embarrassing. 

52 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

Sorry, just to clarify - you are disputing that Kim Jong Un runs concentration camps for political dissidents?

"There is sufficient evidence to establish that perpetrators ranging from Kim Jong Un to lower-level prison guards perpetrated, and continue to perpetrate, crimes against humanity in North Korean political prison camps,"

For anyone to, even in jest, suggest this animal is worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize is nothing short of embarrassing. 

I have no idea about this supposedly secretive ruthless leader, but to give npp to trump, the most arrogant and dangerous leader is a brass neck.

2 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

Guantanamo Bay isnae exactly Butlins !

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I have no idea about this supposedly secretive ruthless leader, but to give npp to trump, the most arrogant and dangerous leader is a brass neck.

Hopefully no one will be under the impression that I'm a-okay with our President, but it's fair to say that North Korea has had leaders like him most of its existence, while we just got one.

If anyone deserves the peace prize, it's Moon, who continues to be the level head trying to make something happen in the midst of this whole farce.

Chilling words from one of my favourite people, a nice humbling reminder that as humans we have to work really hard to not completely suck.

image.thumb.png.6a9d12387d01983422034db750787407.png

Captain Sausage
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

5 hours ago, Boab said:

Guantanamo Bay isnae exactly Butlins !

6 hours ago, Sraman said:

He's a God Damned COMMIE!!!!

I didn’t say anything about giving that helmet Trump a prize instead. All I said was that suggestions of giving it to Kim Jong Un are embarrassing and way wide of the mark. 

shaun.lawson
12 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

For a moment, I'd be supportive of the Nobel Committee giving only the leaders of the two Koreas the Nobel Peace Prize, just to troll the shit out of Trump. Until I remember what a grotesque insult that would be to the poor, suffering people of North Korea, who live under the worst regime on planet Earth. The danger in bringing Kim Jong-Un in from the cold is it all but says we're OK with said regime.

That said: you mention, quite rightly, that he has concentration camps - in which people are experimented on with chemicals, and from which if one person tries to escape, their whole family are executed. Well, the US has concentration camps too. They're called Immigration Holding Centres. And as well as losing track of almost 1500 children, some of whom have fallen prey to human traffickers, those responsible have been allowed to shred all documentation referring to the sexual abuse of many in those centres. In those concentration camps. 

Yes, we are better than North Korea. How could anyone be worse? But we're not the good guys any longer. Not when we treat human beings like animals; not when we come up with increasingly insulting linguistic euphemisms to cover up what we do to these poor people, and their poor children. We're terrible, we're disgusting; NK is infinitely worse than that. 

10 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Hopefully no one will be under the impression that I'm a-okay with our President, but it's fair to say that North Korea has had leaders like him most of its existence, while we just got one. Never crossed my mind.

If anyone deserves the peace prize, it's Moon, who continues to be the level head trying to make something happen in the midst of this whole farce. Why do certain folk feel the need to award certain folk for acting normal.

6 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

I didn’t say anything about giving that helmet Trump a prize instead. All I said was that suggestions of giving it to Kim Jong Un are embarrassing and way wide of the mark. 

OK, keysies!  :2thumbsup:

6 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

For a moment, I'd be supportive of the Nobel Committee giving only the leaders of the two Koreas the Nobel Peace Prize, just to troll the shit out of Trump. Until I remember what a grotesque insult that would be to the poor, suffering people of North Korea, who live under the worst regime on planet Earth. The danger in bringing Kim Jong-Un in from the cold is it all but says we're OK with said regime.

That said: you mention, quite rightly, that he has concentration camps - in which people are experimented on with chemicals, and from which if one person tries to escape, their whole family are executed. Well, the US has concentration camps too. They're called Immigration Holding Centres. And as well as losing track of almost 1500 children, some of whom have fallen prey to human traffickers, those responsible have been allowed to shred all documentation referring to the sexual abuse of many in those centres. In those concentration camps. 

Yes, we are better than North Korea. How could anyone be worse? But we're not the good guys any longer. Not when we treat human beings like animals; not when we come up with increasingly insulting linguistic euphemisms to cover up what we do to these poor people, and their poor children. We're terrible, we're disgusting; NK is infinitely worse than that. 

Out of interest, why is that you are equating the USA with "we"?

Bindy Badgy
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, why is that you are equating the USA with "we"?

Potentially because the detention centres used in the UK are pretty grim as well?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)