Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You asked "What has it got to do with the SFA?"

I answered that question. The SFA could, at a moment's notice, say that won't enforce their side of the contract for one of the games given the special circumstances that have arisen. But you knew that, anyway.

I don't know anything about a contract, neither do you, you've read something on the internet about it.   It's not the SFA's problem, they don't own Hampden yet.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Hackney Hearts
5 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I've been to League Cup Semi Finals in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's which have been played at Hampden midweek. Honestly, what is it with people.

Honestly, what is it with you?

Those semi-finals were - rightly - considered to be hugely underselling the event. In a rare moment of competence, the authorities realised that they could raise the profile of the matches and the trophy itself by making them showpiece events at a weekend. This would encourage a far greater number of travelling supporters, particularly those with families. Looks better for the Scottish game, better atmosphere, brings in more money.

This decision just takes us back to the Dark Ages. Only Sunday travel is actually even worse than midweek. Is that clear enough?

We haven't been to a semi for nearly 5 years, it might be another 5 (hopefully not, obviously) before we get to the next one. Our players have said their kids are upset they can't watch their dads play in the big game at Hampden. But still  you don't get it.

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Who are Hampden Park Ltd? The SFA?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC200222/officers

I tell you what, HPL have 9 directors being a mix of HPL direct employees, SFA employees and ex-directors of Celtic,  Partick Thistle and the solitary rep. from the north (Cove).   One could say that it is Glasgowcentric.  

I would say that it is run by the SFA with Ian Maxwell being on the board.

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Immaterial, the point being that traditionally, League Cup Semi Finals were either two-legged midweek affairs or at Hampden. Let's replace midweek with "school night" as it's more accurate.  I recall a school night semi-final at Tannadice in 1984, when I was still at school.

There are fewer trains on Sundays. It's not unreasonable to expect weekend games to be played in the afternoon. Again, the point isn't just that it's a Sunday/school night game, it's that it's a totally unnecessary Sunday/school night game.

23 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

What's it got to do with the SFA? it's not their competiiton.

SFA owns Hampden so are party to the decision.  SPFL enquires about moving one of the ties from Hampden, SFA says no.  Both SPFL and SFA are complicit in the decision.

Hackney Hearts
7 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I don't know anything about a contract, neither do you, you've read something on the internet about it.   It's not the SFA's problem, they don't own Hampden yet.

Not true - Doncaster has now clarified, in writing. They have a contract with Hampden Ltd, which states all OF semis, and any semis likely to attract over 20,000, MUST be played at Hampden.

And Hampden Ltd is run by the SFA, so yes, it is the SFA's problem.

Edited by Hackney Hearts

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC200222/officers

I tell you what, HPL have 9 directors being a mix of HPL direct employees, SFA employees and ex-directors of Celtic,  Partick Thistle and the solitary rep. from the north (Cove).   One could say that it is Glasgowcentric.  

I would say that it is run by the SFA with Ian Maxwell being on the board.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

The SFA currently manage Hampden, even though Queens Park still own it. Hampden Park Ltd is owned entirely by the SFA and thehey are the management company, 

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You asked "What has it got to do with the SFA?"

I answered that question. The SFA could, at a moment's notice, say that won't enforce their side of the contract for one of the games given the special circumstances that have arisen. But you knew that, anyway.

If Hampden was a division of the SFA then they'd have control, but as a subsidiary Hampden Ltd are independently run. 

At least that's the theory, often wholly owned subsidiaries are set up to distance a company legally but aren't as independent as they should be...

@SPFL Never in the history of Scottish football has a semi final kicked off at 745 on a Sunday so I booked tickets to see @kevinbridges86 knowing; not guessing there would be no chance of a clash #hasdoncasterresignedyet #betfredcup

1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Honestly, what is it with you?

Those semi-finals were - rightly - considered to be hugely underselling the event. In a rare moment of competence, the authorities realised that they could raise the profile of the matches and the trophy itself by making them showpiece events at a weekend. This would encourage a far greater number of travelling supporters, particularly those with families. Looks better for the Scottish game, better atmosphere, brings in more money.

This decision just takes us back to the Dark Ages. Only Sunday travel is actually even worse than midweek. Is that clear enough?

We haven't been to a semi for nearly 5 years, it might be another 5 (hopefully not, obviously) before we get to the next one. Our players have said their kids are upset they can't watch their dads play in the big game at Hampden. But still  you don't get it.

Please dont be condascending, I'm well aware of the history of the League Cup and the fact the competition lost status as soon as the Euro spot was removed, hence why it's known as the diddy cup, and they had to do something to try and keep it relevant.

Sunday travel isn't markedly worse, in fact it's probably better for those on a bus or driving (vast majority) and trains still run regularly, and me "not getting it" is actually me not agreeing with your opinion.

5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

SFA owns Hampden so are party to the decision.  SPFL enquires about moving one of the ties from Hampden, SFA says no.  Both SPFL and SFA are complicit in the decision.

The SFA do not own Hampden.

Hackney Hearts
11 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

the point being that traditionally, League Cup Semi Finals were either two-legged midweek affairs or at Hampden. League Cup semi-finals on a weekend are a recent phenomenon.

Traditionally, football was played with a pig's bladder. Traditionally, we stood in streams of piss to watch football. Times change, things improve. Weekend semi-finals have been acknowledged as a significant improvement.

4 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not true - Doncaster has now clarified, in writing. They have a contract with Hampden Ltd, which states all OF semis, and any semis likely to attract over 20,000, MUST be played at Hampden.

And Hampden Ltd is run by the SFA, so yes, it is the SFA's problem.

The SFA do not own Hampden, Queens Park own Hampden.   I think that contractual stipulation is perfectly reasonable.

1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Traditionally, football was played with a pig's bladder. Traditionally, we stood in streams of piss to watch football. Times change, things improve. Weekend semi-finals have been acknowledged as a significant improvement.

They are, but why are people losing their shit over one game when playing football on a school night isn't exactly something new, and it isn't something new in this competition either.  One game, a one-off, let's just get on with it and hopefully get to the Final.

goldiebackwash1985

SPFL are a members association so if Hearts and Celtic where willing to move their league game to an available weekday sometime in the future that suits both clubs then the SPFL head donkeys and Police Scotland should have to accept that choice

47 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I've been to League Cup Semi Finals in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's which have been played at Hampden midweek. Honestly, what is it with people.

I remember going to cup midweek replay v Airdrie in 1990 I think. There was 7,500 or something.

point is (you obviously don’t get it or care to) is that they were replays most likely you refer to, and not a Sunday night when public transport is on weekend timetables. So immediately you’ve got that wrong. Week day public transport timetables are very different to Sunday’s. 

Also, do you not want a full house ? Roaring on your team ? And folk to take their kids without fear of being in Glasgow full of rangers , Celtic and Aberdeen fans ?

your comment is actually hilarious. Clearly you’ve no wish to hear the problems. Maybe you should watch our managers full interview about it on the stv website. He will spell it out for you perfectly. Hopefully that’ll do you  ? But I suspect not

also you can’t compare the 80’s or 90’s to 2018 .  

Edited by 1971fozzy

In this era semi finals are weekend fixtures that the whole family goes along to. For us, half a decade's passed since our last one and that means there's an awful lot of kids who should be going to their first semi final and getting hooked on the Hearts. 

What happened in the 80s (30 years ago!) really isn't relevant, this is a shit decision for this reason if no other. 

Fire_At_The_Disco
10 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

The SFA do not own Hampden, Queens Park own Hampden.   I think that contractual stipulation is perfectly reasonable.

They might not own it but we all know who’s working the puppet. 

CavySlaveJambo
8 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Hampden Park ltd is the management company for Hampden, The Management Company is owned entirely by the SFA, Queens Park are not involved in the management, even though they own the stadium currently. 

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Please dont be condascending, I'm well aware of the history of the League Cup and the fact the competition lost status as soon as the Euro spot was removed, hence why it's known as the diddy cup, and they had to do something to try and keep it relevant.

Sunday travel isn't markedly worse, in fact it's probably better for those on a bus or driving (vast majority) and trains still run regularly, and me "not getting it" is actually me not agreeing with your opinion.

I'm not being intentionally condescending, but what is the point of you saying there were midweek semis in the past? Was that better? Or worse? The Euro spot/ diddy cup stuff is irrelevant, this issue should apply to any national cup competition. Would you prefer a Scottish Cup semi to be played midweek? 

Sunday travel is overall worse than midweek, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Better for driving, at 10:30pm? How's that?

You've complained that other people have given you a hard time rather than debating the issue. I'm debating the issue. You seem to prefer a 'midweek style semi', with the Hearts support roughly a third of what it would otherwise be, giving a big advantage to our opponents. I don't begrudge you an opinion - I just don't understand it. 

Hampden Park Ltd state in their latest annual accounts that the semi finals of the Betfred League Cup will played on the 27th and 28th of October 2018.

Maybe someone should hold them to that. 

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I remember going to cup midweek replay v Airdrie in 1990 I think. There was 7,500 or something.

point is (you obviously don’t get it or care to) is that they were replays most likely you refer to, and not a Sunday night when public transport is on weekend timetables. So immediately you’ve got that wrong. Week day public transport timetables are very different to Sunday’s. 

Also, do you not want a full house ? Roaring on your team ? And folk to take their kids without fear of being in Glasgow full of rangers , Celtic and Aberdeen fans ?

your comment is actually hilarious. Clearly you’ve no wish to hear the problems. Maybe you should watch our managers full interview about it on the stv website. He will spell it out for you perfectly. Hopefully that’ll do you  ? But I suspect not

No I dont refer to replays and yes I do care, what sort of shit is that ?

Just been reliably informed that there’s an issue with supporters buses. 

Apparently, drivers need 12 hours between shifts and with them booked for school runs the following day, they can’t do both. 

My first thought was, well there’s coaches to away games midweek which return at late times...  but numbers travelling are generally a lot smaller (less buses needed), public transport schedules are more frequent (less people rely on buses) and usually coaches are only needed for one team’s fans. There’s Edinburgh based Celtic and Ranger’s supporters clubs which also rely on the same coach companies, with the same drivers - all adds to the pressure. In basic economics terms, demasnd is far higher than supply. 

I’ve only heard this second hand, but maybe a regular sc bus booker could say if they’ve had issues speaking to companies? 

Edited by Toggie88

2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Hampden Park Ltd state in their latest annual accounts that the semi finals of the Betfred League Cup will played on the 27th and 28th of October 2018.

Maybe someone should hold them to that. 

:wow: 

Brilliant find SUTOL ?

That would feckin sort them.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

The SFA do not own Hampden.

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I assume he means the company, Hampden Ltd

That's exactly what I meant Smithee.  The SFA owns the company that they set up to own Hampden, so de facto the SFA owns Hampden.

Ah....there's your "contractual agreement" right there then.  Better call Dave in South Africa to get him to change his flight.

Now, if there are exceptions??????

5 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Hampden Park ltd is the management company for Hampden, The Management Company is owned entirely by the SFA, Queens Park are not involved in the management, even though they own the stadium currently. 

I'm well aware of that, just as I am aware that it is the clubs who "own" the SPFL (and for that matter the SFA), so to point fingers here there and everywhere but not to the clubs themselves is hardly fair.  We can criticise Doncaster all we like, and I think he's a moron, but he is there because the clubs want him to be there as the fall guy, so they are as much culpable for where we are now than anyone else.

If the clubs didn't want him, and didn't want to sign these sort of contracts, then they can remove him. We can only conclude they are happy with the situation.

7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

chucky likes to ask us 'what is it with people?' and 'why are folk losing their shit?' (condescending pish) when they are repeating concerns expressed by the Police Federation, 2 x competing clubs, transport services MSPs and Jim Spence.

1 minute ago, RobNox said:

That's exactly what I meant Smithee.  The SFA owns the company that they set up to own Hampden, so de facto the SFA owns Hampden.

Chuck's having a bad day!

There, another "silly" comment for the file!

2 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Exactly, the landlord might own my flat but I have exclusive rights to it and I say who comes and goes.

With Mrs Smithee's permission of course

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's really about compensation for Hampden. That's the real issue apart from the fear of upsetting either of the Glasgow clubs. 

This should be the end of Doncaster with a blatant lie

8 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Just been reliably informed that there’s an issue with supporters buses. 

Apparently, drivers need 12 hours between shifts and with them booked for school runs the following day, they can’t do both. 

My first thought was, well there’s coaches to away games midweek which return at late times...  but numbers travelling are generally a lot smaller (less buses needed), public transport schedules are more frequent (less people rely on buses) and usually coaches are only needed for one team’s fans. There’s Edinburgh based Celtic and Ranger’s supporters clubs which also rely on the same coach companies, with the same drivers - all adds to the pressure. In basic economics terms, demasnd is far higher than supply. 

I’ve only heard this second hand, but maybe a regular sc bus booker could say if they’ve had issues speaking to companies? 

on another thread a poster said the quote he got for a bus was £800

3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I'm well aware of that, just as I am aware that it is the clubs who "own" the SPFL (and for that matter the SFA), so to point fingers here there and everywhere but not to the clubs themselves is hardly fair.  We can criticise Doncaster all we like, and I think he's a moron, but he is there because the clubs want him to be there as the fall guy, so they are as much culpable for where we are now than anyone else.

If the clubs didn't want him, and didn't want to sign these sort of contracts, then they can remove him. We can only conclude they are happy with the situation.

By the clubs who do you mean? The OF seem happy and they hold sway. No vote goes through without them.

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

chucky likes to ask us 'what is it with people?' and 'why are folk losing their shit?' (condescending pish) when they are repeating concerns expressed by the Police Federation, 2 x competing clubs, transport services MSPs and Jim Spence.

I'm not sure our own manager was that keen on the idea either.

Not to mention 95% of people in the poll on the BBC website, presumably including supporters of all persuasions.

10 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

No I dont refer to replays and yes I do care, what sort of shit is that ?

See below. Answers your question for me

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

And also add the police who have just been on bbc news saying it needs to be looked at again ???????

the worms turning. Need it changed and Doncaster sacked

Edited by 1971fozzy

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

on another thread a poster said the quote he got for a bus was £800

Is that high? I’ve not got much in terms of previous reference. 

Just now, Toggie88 said:

Is that high? I’ve not got much in terms of previous reference. 

the reaction from other posters wee saying things like was that from manchester so it looks like quite high

10 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I'm not being intentionally condescending, but what is the point of you saying there were midweek semis in the past? Was that better? Or worse? The Euro spot/ diddy cup stuff is irrelevant, this issue should apply to any national cup competition. Would you prefer a Scottish Cup semi to be played midweek? 

Sunday travel is overall worse than midweek, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Better for driving, at 10:30pm? How's that?

You've complained that other people have given you a hard time rather than debating the issue. I'm debating the issue. You seem to prefer a 'midweek style semi', with the Hearts support roughly a third of what it would otherwise be, giving a big advantage to our opponents. I don't begrudge you an opinion - I just don't understand it. 

To provide context I made the point that evening kick-offs are not unusual, historically they were always on a school night, and yes the roads are better for driving for the simple reason there is less non-football traffic on them!!

I prefer a 3.00pm kick-off, everyone would, but it is what it is. I fully expect the arrangements to be changed given some people going tonto.

Anyway, to conclude, I hope to see Jambos take up all our allocation regardless of when it's played, see you there :flag1:

8 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Chuck's having a bad day!

There, another "silly" comment for the file!

You're having a nightmare ?

5 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I'm not sure our own manager was that keen on the idea either.

Not to mention 95% of people in the poll on the BBC website, presumably including supporters of all persuasions.

well, there's obviously the 5%, and they need a voice, who live in the 80's, and don't see a return to what was deemed shit, as an unpalatable backward step. Takes all sorts.

Edited by Riccarton3

9 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Whatever ?

Never posted before - am a season ticket holder as is my 12 yr old son. We are in the majority who been effectively shut out of this game.

sent this to Betfred earlier....

Morning

I trust Betfred are considering input into the decision by the SPFL regarding scheduling of the semi-finals. 

The reputational damage to the tournament will be significant and this will reflect poorly on the sponsors.

Best wishes.

response received...

Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid Betfred does not have any influence over the scheduling of games in this competition. Scheduling is decided by the TV Broadcaster BT and the SPFL. While Betfred sponsor the competition, this doesn't mean that they are able to affect the final decision, as that ultimately lies with the rights holder(s) to broadcast the matches.

If you require any further assistance or have any further queries feel free to get in touch again. Customer services are available 24/7 to assist you. Customer services are available 24/7 to assist you via email, Live Chat and telephone on 0800 028 7747 (UK).

To ensure you are hearing about our excellent offers and promotions you may need to update your contact preferences in line with the recent GDPR updates. You can do so by clicking here.

Thank you for contacting Betfred Customer Services.

Kind Regards,

Alex D,

Betfred Customer Services.

From this response it would seem Betfred are not currently aware of the situation - they are under the impression the scheduling has been set by BT. As they are unlikely to be buying either Edinburgh nor Aberdeen evening papers, maybe a few more emails to keep them informed would be helpful.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Whatever ?

I wanted to find out who on earth would be part of the 6% voting on the BBC web site poll for the current situation and now we know...the JKB equivalent to Donald Trump and Boris Johnson

I'm actually now glad this has all happened.Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for Doncaster and his servile cronies.They aren't even trying to hide their allegencies anymore and have now been truly called out thanks to the power of social media.Do the right thing Neil and fall by your sword.

2 minutes ago, Pancakejambo said:

Never posted before - am a season ticket holder as is my 12 yr old son. We are in the majority who been effectively shut out of this game.

sent this to Betfred earlier....

Morning

I trust Betfred are considering input into the decision by the SPFL regarding scheduling of the semi-finals. 

The reputational damage to the tournament will be significant and this will reflect poorly on the sponsors.

Best wishes.

response received...

Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid Betfred does not have any influence over the scheduling of games in this competition. Scheduling is decided by the TV Broadcaster BT and the SPFL. While Betfred sponsor the competition, this doesn't mean that they are able to affect the final decision, as that ultimately lies with the rights holder(s) to broadcast the matches.

If you require any further assistance or have any further queries feel free to get in touch again. Customer services are available 24/7 to assist you. Customer services are available 24/7 to assist you via email, Live Chat and telephone on 0800 028 7747 (UK).

To ensure you are hearing about our excellent offers and promotions you may need to update your contact preferences in line with the recent GDPR updates. You can do so by clicking here.

Thank you for contacting Betfred Customer Services.

Kind Regards,

Alex D,

Betfred Customer Services.

From this response it would seem Betfred are not currently aware of the situation - they are under the impression the scheduling has been set by BT. As they are unlikely to be buying either Edinburgh nor Aberdeen evening papers, maybe a few more emails to keep them informed would be helpful.

I’ve been wondering why BT have been getting away with this Scot-free, with the exception of a moronic tweet from their worst pundit.

Why don’t all objectors who subscribe cancel BT Sport, even for just a month or two? 

Sky Sports have timed their announcement of a 17:30ko at Easter Road perfectly. I know it’s not true, but it makes SS look like they actually care about the fans.

Will the police guarantee all supporters safety going to ,during and after both games? All travel to and from the games? Who has overall responsibility? Name and shame. 

5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Will the police guarantee all supporters safety going to ,during and after both games? All travel to and from the games? Who has overall responsibility? Name and shame. 

Have they done that for tomorrow, or ever done that before for any other game? 

I’ve been seething about this all day and I’m still seething now. The dismissive response from Doncaster last night didn’t help and the ridiculous Q&A just made things even worse. The SPFL and the SFA (in guise of Hampden Park Ltd or whatever they’re called) are the decision-makers here and the bottom line is that they choose to inconvenience fans and devalue what’s supposed to be a prestigious occasion when there are other options. They don’t even bother pretending that they care about impact on fans anymore, it’s just blatant “whatevs” from them. Infuriating. ScotRail’s insistence that they hadn’t even been consulted tells you everything you need to know about that.

And wtf are they doing writing up and signing contracts which make special provisions for the Old Firm anyway? If you can’t progress a commercial deal containing  special provisions for some select members without it affecting your ability to treat your other members fairly, you shouldn’t be signing the agreement at all.

The reaction has been stronger than I expected it to be, and it’s not just limited to Hearts and Aberdeen fans either. I think people are just fed up to the back teeth of this type of treatment. No wonder.