Hearts fielded ineligible player against Cove Rangers

kila

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Paolo said:

Spartans were once kicked out the Scottish Cup, because they simply forgot to sign one part of a lengthy form.  

Yes, it was a knock out competition, but their punishment was not a 3-0 defeat, it was expulsion.  

I am not saying this will happen to us, but it shows if the beaks want to dish out  a serve punishment, they will.  

Luckily this is the League Cup, not under SFA rules.

A small glimmer of hope.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escobar PHM

• Juanjo15

• Gambo

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

I've never made a mistake that caused my club to exit a cup at a ridiculously early stage.

Is that Ian Cathro I see with his hand in the air???

Right, but you don't work at a football club. FFS.

It's all relative, mate.

49 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Maybe was, but it was certainly not his job in July to make sure the players we planned to use in games this season had all the correct paperwork.

Get your point

When you make an original mistake it is often more difficult to sift it out, however.

So how did we manage to replace one incompetent arse with another?

9 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

That might actually get us off the hook and we'll get a bigger fine and a replay. Giving a 3-0 win to Cove isn't fair on the other 3 teams.

This could be what saves us... a big fine but the result stays, if we lose or drop points to Raith then it may go down as a 3-0 win to Cove

There is one rule for the bigger clubs, fair or not, it’s true and I think we will get off with a fine.

I'd like to know why there isn't a hard and fast rule for this occurrence. 

It looks to me as if the SPFL like to leave a bit of wriggle room for themselves with these matters.

Bet your life if it was a small club a decision would be made straight away not waiting until BT say it's OK to take action.

Escobar PHM
Just now, luckydug said:

I'd like to know why there isn't a hard and fast rule for this occurrence. 

It looks to me as if the SPFL like to leave a bit of wriggle room for themselves with these matters.

Bet your life if it was a small club a decision would be made straight away not waiting until BT say it's OK to take action.

Have the SPFL, being a relatively new organisation ever actually had to deal with one of these ?

SuperstarSteve
17 minutes ago, sidjamesbottle said:

Thats spooky mate that is my name

No way haha I just went for a random name mate 

Nookie Bear

I think the real losers are those Aberdeen fans who turned out to support Cove in a game that may no longer be valid. 

Ha! Take that, you sheepy losers :greggy:

It should have been ten
5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Luckily this is the League Cup, not under SFA rules.

A small glimmer of hope.

This ??

In reality because of the group structure of the competition, "making up" a score could not only potentially affect our group but also all the others. 

The only fair way is to replay the match with Hearts getting a substantial fine. 

Won't happen though unfortunately. 

Edited by stuart500

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

This could be what saves us... a big fine but the result stays, if we lose or drop points to Raith then it may go down as a 3-0 win to Cove

There is one rule for the bigger clubs, fair or not, it’s true and I think we will get off with a fine.

The perception of this belief and an appetite to dispel it may be a reason why we get blootered as hard as possible.      Big club... soft target.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

That might actually get us off the hook and we'll get a bigger fine and a replay. Giving a 3-0 win to Cove isn't fair on the other 3 teams.

true 

We have made a fair few of these "mistakes" they keep saying. 

The numerous delays with the stand, the laying of a new pitch only for it to be horrendous after about 3 matches, all the signings like Oshaniwa, Sammon, Nowak, Martin, Amankwaa. Fielding an ineligible player now.

Are we sure that money aside, our club is actually being ran by people who know anything about the sport?

sidjamesbottle
3 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

No way haha I just went for a random name mate 

Mysticsuperstarsteve now seems more appropriate

I'm rarely critical of the club, but this is a shambles. Should never be happening at our level. The place needs a bit of a shake behind the scenes. These errors are starting to creep in....Who heads up the ops side of the business?

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Have the SPFL, being a relatively new organisation ever actually had to deal with one of these ?

Probably not. Because of the newish format to the LC.

This situation has arisen many times in football so when the competition rules were drawn up instances like this should be covered unambiguously no matter the size of club.

It should have been ten
54 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

If only there were some Hearts friendly people at ICT...

:sadrobbo:

:robboyas:

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

and our away win which is likes hens teeth these is null and void!! :jj_facepalm:

Also this is Hearts, not well like by most especially across the town you can guarantee we will get booted out. Petrie will see this happens.

No doubt E-Mails getting drafted by some bitter hobos as we talk about this, :mellow::mellow:.

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

In reality because of the group structure of the competition "making up" a score could not only potentially affect our group but also all the others. 

The only fair way is to replay the match with Hearts getting a substantial fine. 

Even more so if Cove beat Cowdenbeath on Saturday. However if they lose that takes them out of the equation as far as qualifying is concerned.

FarmerTweedy
22 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Was just about to buy my ticket for Tuesday as well...

Same here. Think i'll leave it till nearer the time! 

Cut The Crap

Am I wrong to think that if we win the remaining three games by sufficient margins, we'll win the group anyway.

4-0 against ICT cancels out the suggested 8-goal difference. Handsome wins in the other two games will see us top the group.

I'm back on the bus. 

Escobar PHM
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Probably not. Because of the newish format to the LC.

This situation has arisen many times in football so when the competition rules were drawn up instances like this should be covered unambiguously no matter the size of club.

The rule is probably totally unambiguous and we've undoubtedly broken it by our own admission. However there seems to be a vast range of punishments open to them which appears to be at their discretion. Could we send them flowers and chocolates maybe ?

Edited by Escobar PHM

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, RobNox said:

We should claim that he was 'improperly' registered.  That seemed to work for Rangers.

or register him as 

"the " Andrew Irving

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

3-0 defeat has been standard across Europe recently, celtic overturning a 1st leg defeat with a 3-0 default win being a high profile one. 

No one knows, but on past form a 3-0 defeat would be were I place my money. 

Likewise , I do think it should also come down to why the problem occurred and only Hearts then the SPFL will know at the hearing id guess. Cove themselves got a 2k fine for an ineligble player but they didnt play. Irving came on at 2-0 and tbh we were weaker for it but that won’t be a saving grace. Id therefore expect either a 3-0 and a fine. The sacking the person involved again is dependent on why the situation arose. When we registered the player numbers surely it kicked up then? Also surely we would have admin checking all the players prior to game one of the season to ensure on the SPFL and SFA systems they are registered correctly. I would assume they have a system in place that makes it easy for clubs to do this in the same way the SIA have a register of all licensed stewards and you can just log in and check their registration and current violations/suspensions and when the registration expires. 

...a bit disco
10 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

In reality because of the group structure of the competition, "making up" a score could not only potentially affect our group but also all the others. 

Potential for a large fine exists too.

Hannibal Lecter

A professional football club the size of ours should not be making such a stupid embarrassing error as this.

4 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Am I wrong to think that if we win the remaining three games by sufficient margins, we'll win the group anyway.

4-0 against ICT cancels out the suggested 8-goal difference. Handsome wins in the other two games will see us top the group.

I'm back on the bus. 

We could still win the group, could also qualify as one of the best 4 runner up, so all is not lost

Unknown user

Am I right in saying the mistake was originally by the SFA who didn't register the new contract correctly in January, and that we're at fault for not picking up on it in our checks?

EDIT - no. Our mistake, AND we didn't pick up on it 

Edited by Smithee

BobbyJenkins
12 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

We have made a fair few of these "mistakes" they keep saying. 

The numerous delays with the stand, the laying of a new pitch only for it to be horrendous after about 3 matches, all the signings like Oshaniwa, Sammon, Nowak, Martin, Amankwaa. Fielding an ineligible player now.

Are we sure that money aside, our club is actually being ran by people who know anything about the sport?

?? 

The correct punishment would be for us to be kicked out of the tournament. That's consistent with what has happened to other clubs in the past fielding ineligible players in cup games. It's not even a debate. 

Heads should roll, this is embarrassing. 

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Am I right in saying the mistake was originally by the SFA who didn't register the new contract correctly in January, and that we're at fault for not picking up on it in our checks?

No

We forgot to register him

Hungry hippo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Ann Budge seemed to accept it was our error in the statement.

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

I'm back on the bus. 

Even if the result is reversed, or Cove are given the points based on a 3-0 win, for example, we can still top the group. But it would mean winning comfortably against both Raith and ICT, and looking to get a very convincing result against Cowdenbeath at Tynecastle.

I'd imagine that it may well be either the game being awarded to Cove or a fine against the club. It is disappointing it has come to this, I don't know why but I can imagine it being something that might be overlooked at a relatively small club but not something I'd expect to be overlooked at HMFC. Not going to get involved in any discussion on whether or not someone should lose their job as a result, I'll leave that to the club to decide.

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

We could still win the group, could also qualify as one of the best 4 runner up, so all is not lost

Either way, we are on a goals chase in the remaining games thats for sure. And no margin for error in terms of dropping points anywhere.

Edited by Escobar PHM

i wish jj was my dad

No defence for this, I'm afraid  Honest mistake or not we need to take our dumps. If that means we are kicked out we need to suck it up.

2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Either way, we are on a goals chase in the remaining games thats for sure.

Well that might not be a bad thing. It will certainly focus the players and management on what is required.

...a bit disco
5 minutes ago, blairdin said:

The correct punishment would be for us to be kicked out of the tournament. That's consistent with what has happened to other clubs in the past fielding ineligible players in cup games. It's not even a debate. 

That happened in the Scottish Cup.

GlasgoJambo
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Okay hands up anyone who made a mistake that cost their company in excess of £100k as well as made them a public laughing stock and kept their job.

Hibs v Hamilton

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

You never did like him. ?

He wasn’t even at the club then but it’s still his fault. 

?

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

don't know why but I can imagine it being something that might be overlooked at a relatively small club but not something I'd expect to be overlooked at HMFC. Not going to get involved in any discussion on whether or not someone should lose their job as a result, I'll leave that to the club to decide.

I imagine, like any other organisation with a properly structured disciplinary process ( who doesn't have one these days) would have to take into account the previous performance of the individual concerned. However the consequences of this could be substantial and that will be the biggest factor in determining what action to take.

alwaysthereinspirit
2 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Knock out tournaments are way different than a league cup group with one game from four played by us.

We lose 3-0 and we move on to game 2.

Unfortunately the idiots running it will let us play game 2 prior to a decision. Which could screw up the group from there on in.

Decision should have been made tomorrow at the latest.

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, blairdin said:

There definitely is a debate. As has been stated by several posters a 3-0 defeat and fine has been the standard precedent - as this has been in knock out matches the result has meant elimination. 

Agree that it it a shocking error and heads are probably already rolling.

BobbyJenkins
1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Proper funny aint it? 

We're a top flight club ffs.

You are yes. Dry your eyes ffs lol.

brunoatemyhamster

Did we go to them with the info he was ineligable or did they come to us? Anyone know?

Scnorthedinburgh

I think how the other teams in our group react, will lead the spfl.

Cove did this previously and only got a fine, hopefully they take that as the precedent.

Edited by Scnorthedinburgh