Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

Dalstonjambo
12 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I said they would concede. So I'm not giving them much defensive credit. But they are going out and creating enough chances to put teams to the sword in terms of goalscoring. 

Keep in mind we have so far struggled to beat Cove and Raith.

However, last day of the season they put 5 passed rangers.

Recent friendly they put 6 in against Berwick.

6 at home in Europe then another 6 away from home.

They lost 2-0 to Blackburn in Hanlons testimonial and were slammed for a poor performance. They also beat linlithgow rose 2-0 in their first friendly back But that isn't exactly anything to go by.

So bar the fishermen we have Berwick in a friendly so far this season. 

I still don't see what's so impressive.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I take it you weren't at Cove.

We created enough chances there to "put them to the sword", just lacked sharpness in finishing.

Hearts "reserves" put 5 past Forfar.

You keep on about their goalscoring but in their last 3 competitive games they've conceded 10 goals. No matter how good a forward line you have no-one can keep doing that and expect to be successful

Doesn't matter if you create loads unless you are finishing them. 

A performance that flatters to deceive.

We lack ruthlessness and it will cost us if we don't start hitting the net more.

We have had a major problem with going 1-0 up and not finishing teams off. 

We have also had a problem with starting games poorly and giving the other team an advantage before finally starting to show something.

I'm not interested in looking good. I want us to win and do it by leaving teams without hope as soon as possible. Looking good doing it is merely a bonus. 

We have the players but we have a lot of work to do.

As for hibs their defence is their weakness which is why they are ignoring it and going for an all out attack approach. It is working so far. They can only beat who is put in front of them.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Doesn't matter if you create loads unless you are finishing them. 

A performance that flatters to deceive.

We lack ruthlessness and it will cost us if we don't start hitting the net more.

We have had a major problem with going 1-0 up and not finishing teams off. 

We have also had a problem with starting games poorly and giving the other team an advantage before finally starting to show something.

I'm not interested in looking good. I want us to win and do it by leaving teams without hope as soon as possible. Looking good doing it is merely a bonus. 

We have the players but we have a lot of work to do.

As for hibs their defence is their weakness which is why they are ignoring it and going for an all out attack approach. It is working so far. They can only beat who is put in front of them.

So, as a Hearts fan, you are highlighting our failings as a negative, but hibs failings you are painting as a positive.

Very strange

15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

So, as a Hearts fan, you are highlighting our failings as a negative, but hibs failings you are painting as a positive.

Very strange

Our failings are a negative because I am a hearts fan. Our failings are something I want to see improved on. Since our away form still appears suspect as well I am hoping that they are sorted very quickly. The difference in our attitude to away games could be the difference in league positions come next May. Also the difference between us scoring 1 goal and 2 could be the difference between a lot of points this season as well. 

Hibs failings are there for all to see and they are none of my concern. I couldn't give a **** about their failings. Long may they continue to fail. What concerns me is their ability to score goals. So far they are proving very good at it. If come the end of the transfer window they have signed a good defender or 2 there may be cause for concern. 

42 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Celtic with a few injuries for tomorrow.

Following are injured/unavailable for Celtic’s match v Rosenborg tomorrow: Dembele, Griffiths, Lustig, Boyata, Simunovic, Compper

Norway for a Celtic Hibs double then just like Malmo and Maribor all over again. 

4 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Norway for a Celtic Hibs double then just like Malmo and Maribor all over again. 

Thought Hibs were in Greece?

...a bit disco
5 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

:munny:

Hopefuly.

19 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Thought Hibs were in Greece?

Fluke Greece they play in Norway. 

8 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Fluke Greece they play in Norway. 

Are this Greek mob up to much? Are they home first?

If hibs are to progress then they need a lead going into the game in greece. I follow a bit of Greek football and tripolis are very strong at home.

Celtic I expect to go through Rosenborg manager quitting and apparently some playing staff have began to revolt against the regime in charge. 

Aberdeen burnley will be close I reckon with Burnley winning it over the two legs 3-2 or 4-2 something like that.

The rangers tie is the only one I am really unsure about. I understand Croatian football is on a high just now with the world cup but can't say I know too much about the team. 

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

No idea, probably too strong for them though.  Sure that team drew with Spurs at home a couple of years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

No idea, probably too strong for them though.  Sure that team drew with Spurs at home a couple of years ago. 

So did we....Harry Kane the lot:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

ER 

7 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

If hibs are to progress then they need a lead going into the game in greece. I follow a bit of Greek football and tripolis are very strong at home.

Celtic I expect to go through Rosenborg manager quitting and apparently some playing staff have began to revolt against the regime in charge. 

Aberdeen burnley will be close I reckon with Burnley winning it over the two legs 3-2 or 4-2 something like that.

The rangers tie is the only one I am really unsure about. I understand Croatian football is on a high just now with the world cup but can't say I know too much about the team. 

Osijek will pump sevco. They are decent going by what i've read.

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

So did we....Harry Kane the lot:laugh:

Away as well! To be fair tie was over after being killed at home.  Best performance against us I can ever remember.  Jamie Mac saved his Pen :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

I think Aberdeen will take  5 or 6 goal aggregate beating. Burnley are a decent side and their manager wont be letting them take it lightly, its a big deal for Burnley getting into Europe.

8 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

who the **** is Compper ?

Joined for a million in January.

33yr old centre half. 

Played one game and broke down. Hasn't played since.

2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Joined for a million in January.

33yr old centre half. 

Played one game and broke down. Hasn't played since.

:robbo:

2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Away as well! To be fair tie was over after being killed at home.  Best performance against us I can ever remember.  Jamie Mac saved his Pen :lol: 

Great away trips also, Train down carriage full of Jambos, Outside the station in London, songs ringing out all day and the London public looking somewhat bemused - the train out to WHL packed with Jambos and the Spurs fans just amazed so many were there after the first leg, walking up to the ground (was at the tail end of the riots) singing "we're only here for a tele" london bobbys pissing themselves...Harry give us a wave in the ground, and then Jamie Mac's PK save - little did we know he was saving it from the soon to be superstar Kane!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
4 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

So bar the fishermen we have Berwick in a friendly so far this season. 

I still don't see what's so impressive.

12 goals in a European tie is not too shabby tbf, whoever it's against. 

2 hours ago, Bauld said:

Our failings are a negative because I am a hearts fan. Our failings are something I want to see improved on. Since our away form still appears suspect as well I am hoping that they are sorted very quickly. The difference in our attitude to away games could be the difference in league positions come next May. Also the difference between us scoring 1 goal and 2 could be the difference between a lot of points this season as well. 

Hibs failings are there for all to see and they are none of my concern. I couldn't give a **** about their failings. Long may they continue to fail. What concerns me is their ability to score goals. So far they are proving very good at it. If come the end of the transfer window they have signed a good defender or 2 there may be cause for concern. 

So you don't care about their defence being g crap but care about their forwards being less crap??  Weird for a Hearts fan

48 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Great away trips also, Train down carriage full of Jambos, Outside the station in London, songs ringing out all day and the London public looking somewhat bemused - the train out to WHL packed with Jambos and the Spurs fans just amazed so many were there after the first leg, walking up to the ground (was at the tail end of the riots) singing "we're only here for a tele" london bobbys pissing themselves...Harry give us a wave in the ground, and then Jamie Mac's PK save - little did we know he was saving it from the soon to be superstar Kane!

Jealous as, only got the first legs of Spurs and Liverpool. 

Dalstonjambo
52 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

12 goals in a European tie is not too shabby tbf, whoever it's against. 

I would agree to an extent it's not too shabby, but I would objectively argue it's about par for playing the 4th best team from the faroe islands. Especially given they had a man sent off early doors in the first leg.

Edited by Dalstonjambo

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
17 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I would agree to an extent it's not too shabby, but I would objectively argue it's about par for playing the 4th best team from the faroe islands. Especially given they had a man sent off early doors in the first leg.

Yeah, suppose. Although that team only lost 3-0 on aggregate to Fulham a few years ago. 

Dalstonjambo
20 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yeah, suppose. Although that team only lost 3-0 on aggregate to Fulham a few years ago. 

Yeah i wiki'd their results after i typed it. Probably not Fulham's first team though.  I also saw they lost 6-0 on aggregate to a team from Luxembourg, so it's very up and down. My point in reply to the original post i quoted was more i would imagine Hibs 'carving them open' was more to do with the level of their opposition than Hibs being some all conquering attacking force.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

So you don't care about their defence being g crap but care about their forwards being less crap??  Weird for a Hearts fan

Why?

If we were playing Hibs tonight would I care about their defence? No why should I. It's not strong so I would expect us to do a job. Would I therefore care about our attack? Yes because I want it to go out there and do said job.

Would I care about their attack which scored 18 goals in 3 games? Yes because early evidence suggests it has the ability to unlock defences. Mallan also appears to have a good shot on him from distance. I would be hoping that our players are aware of this threat and be ready to focus on the task for 90 minutes to shut them out. 

Generally speaking I don't care about hibs at all. But we have a lot to do before we can claim the same dominance over them that we once had a few years ago.

So......six games in from Scotland's participants and 5 wins and a draw so far.

This week it gets tricky as all four now meet actual football teams !

Difficult to call three out of the four, imo. Think the hooped demons will take a lead over to Rosenborg, Hibs may do well against a Greek side who look, on paper, just ok. Sheep, with a full house behind them, could surprise a few ! That's optimistic for those three.

Sevco are trash and may get a hiding, probably will get a hiding.

Going for two victories, a draw and a pumping, in that order.

The only team I'd like to see do well...not saying win but maybe draw is Aberdeen purely because of the English media and overall perception of our game should they get tanked.

The other 3 I hope get wiped out by at least 4 goals, but I suspect Hibs may fair ok against this Greek lot.. The old firm....Celtic might get a draw and Rangers will be well beaten booed off the park and Stevie G will be returning sharpish to Liverpools academy.

Big Slim Stylee
19 hours ago, Bauld said:

Why?

If we were playing Hibs tonight would I care about their defence? No why should I. It's not strong so I would expect us to do a job. Would I therefore care about our attack? Yes because I want it to go out there and do said job.

Would I care about their attack which scored 18 goals in 3 games? Yes because early evidence suggests it has the ability to unlock defences. Mallan also appears to have a good shot on him from distance. I would be hoping that our players are aware of this threat and be ready to focus on the task for 90 minutes to shut them out. 

Generally speaking I don't care about hibs at all. But we have a lot to do before we can claim the same dominance over them that we once had a few years ago.

This is generally my default position.

I think all 4 will get beat with only Celtic getting beat by a one goal margin.

id love it in particular if Sevco and the Vermin get horsed. I wouldn’t want either to get anywhere near the groups.

The Greeks will hopefully get off to a quick start and zip the ball about and keep the tramps watching quiet.

12 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Is the Celtic and/or Aberdeen games on TV at all? 

Nope, though I’m sure I read they are in their respective horse shit club channels so you may get a stream somewhere

lauriesrank

Cannae find brown to be booked anytime odds anywhere :(  Was gonna lump on it!!  Think he's playing at the back tonight too.  When I say lump I meant a flum. :D

...a bit disco

1-0 Rosenborg.

Celtic a shambles at the back!

:lol:

1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

Is the Celtic and/or Aberdeen games on TV at all? 

Second legs only I think mate sure Burnley Aberdeen is on BT not sure about the scum though 

home legs definitely not on tv

lauriesrank

Meling was 50/1 to score first.....

And... bet365 have it as an own goal???!!!  WTF?

Edited by lauriesrank

Last year Rosenberg missed chance after chance in first leg 0-0 draw at Celtic Park.

Probably remembered that tonight. 

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, lauriesrank said:

Guys, there's no chance that was an angus.. is there?

Didn't look it?

7 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Meling was 50/1 to score first.....

And... bet365 have it as an own goal???!!!  WTF?

From BBC website.

18 mins

'Hendry was sloppy'

Celtic 0-1 Rosenborg

a80b5544-9076-4b41-9cb1-f4e8a8f3bf4e.jpg

Scott McDonald

Former Celtic striker on BBC Sportsound

We can't say it wasn't coming. Jack Hendry was sloppy. He tries to play one square and it gets cut out. It's then great play on the right-hand side and Nicolas Bendtner does ever so well. He sees the run and it's slotted into the bottom corner. There was no way Craig Gordon could have got a hand to that. It's been too open from the start. You want to be open but not leave gaps.

lauriesrank
56 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Cannae find brown to be booked anytime odds anywhere :(  Was gonna lump on it!!  Think he's playing at the back tonight too.  When I say lump I meant a flum. :D

There's his booking too.

Pox Doctor's Clerk

Hoping Celtic go out. Appreciate that is not exactly the outlook for our game. Celtic stretching into the distance financially is not good for the game in Scotland