Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Looking at ft of Arthurs Street and Dumbieykes Road from the Crags. The exact location our on has been asked to spread our remains when I join my wife again. My favorite view of Edinburgh out to the west.

What was this Bob ?

20211020_183851.jpg

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What was this Bob ?

20211020_183851.jpg

Sorry its got me totally beat. It was in my time, Cowans Yard, on the bottom left corner, the shops with the Bowlers Rest, the police box, Parkies house, and that space you asked about is as big as the one in my memory.

On 19/10/2021 at 21:25, Lone Striker said:

Yes.   There was a program on the radio te other day looking back at the history of Speedway in Scotland - apparently it used to draw crowds of 20k.  Here's an extract from a book about it (called No Breaks) -

'In many ways the history of speedway in Edinburgh mirrors the path the sport as a whole has taken in this country. It began in May 1928 in Portobello, at Marine Gardens, an existing pleasure complex, which at different times, boasted a zoo, a circus and a ballroom. When it started up again after the Second World War and Marine Gardens was no longer available, it moved to Old Meadowbank Stadium.

‘The home at the time of Leith Athletic football club, it was a city-centre location befitting a sport drawing crowds in their thousands, but Old Meadowbank Stadium was demolished to build a new athletics arena for the 1970 Commonwealth Games, with speedway falling out of favour, there was no place for it.

‘It didn't return until 1977, this time at Powderhall greyhound stadium, closer to Leith than the city centre. In 1995 a housing developer made an offer for the site and Edinburgh were evicted once again. They raced at Shawfield in Glasgow in 1996 under the banner of the Scottish Monarchs which was, in the words of Harkess, a complete disaster; "The fans didnt get on and they used to throw bread rolls at each other."

‘They managed to find a new home the following year at a greyhound stadium in the old mining community of Armadale in West Lothian just off the M8 motorway.... the Monarchs have remained there ever since.'

The monarchs will be moving again soon. The stadium in Armadale has been sold for housing.

been here before
43 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Those flats remind me of Restless Natives.

Im not sure those flats were in the film, perhaps in the background.

The ones at Murrayburn certainly were as was the bridge going over Murrayburn Road where they threw the 'money' around.

13 minutes ago, been here before said:

The ones at Murrayburn certainly were as was the bridge going over Murrayburn Road where they threw the 'money' around.

There’s only one set of flats in that pic ya lunatic!!

20 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

42CDAFE7-E84C-47DC-AB55-AA9962145B52.jpeg

Morrison Street, Billy Connolly stayed with a mate of my brothers in the stair between the two shops, well no in the stair but a flat in the stair when he was playing at the Kings.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Think those scenes were filmed in Clovie

complete control
5 hours ago, Mister T said:

For the music fans. HMV at the St James Centre mid-1980s and with Joe Strummer, Bruce's Records on Rose Street 1979.

hmvstjamesexterior.jpg

strummerstjamescreditgaryddempseyforsite.jpg

bruces79.jpg

Joe getting told off by security for busking ?

1 hour ago, complete control said:

Joe getting told off by security for busking ?

Looks like it. What I'd give to have been there...... 

Maroon Sailor

Time capsules found under Queen Victoria statue when it was moved. Newspapers found in them dating from 1907

20211021_144327.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211021_143057.jpg

pisses me off when i recognize it but can't quite put my finger on it. no rude comments please

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

pisses me off when i recognize it but can't quite put my finger on it. no rude comments please

Comiston Road

Maroon Sailor

Baird the Bootmaker. Apparently had an x-ray machine to ensure the correct fit. Also had a shop on South Bridge - telephone number looks interesting. Before 031 days

20211022_083354.jpg.40843952ce3beea2c4c5ac32cb9dc895.jpg

20211022_084558.thumb.jpg.ea37dcf84fde1e7b9eb6d5eff5d44eb3.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Baird the Bootmaker. Apparently had an x-ray machine to ensure the correct fit. Also had a shop on South Bridge - telephone number looks interesting. Before 031 days

I remember these X-Ray machines.

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Zenatec nightclub

Miss Edinburgh 1988

20211021_145727.jpg

Whoever owned Zenatec must have been a Hertz fan as they were always advertising in the matchday programmes.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember the x ray in shoe shops, your mother wanted to check to make sure the shoes would not be tight in a short time, time for growth was essential to families who did not have money to waste.I actually I don't think I ever had shoes that were not a size bigger than required until  I started work and earning my own money at fifteen. My sister who was five years older and was a cash drain because of her Gillespies School for Girls education had large amounts of cash on school uniforms and shoes for all occasions. Seasonal, formal and for gym and sports. I inherited them when she was finished with them, and wore them with the fitting system of paper stuffed in the toes.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Her dental care leaves a bit to be desired.

Must have been celebrating her Miss West Lothian 1971 success