• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Scotchie

20211022_125355.jpg

Thats the locus I was asked about in an earlier thread, it looks like it was subject to demolition a long time before the picture and there was nothing there to remember.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thats the locus I was asked about in an earlier thread, it looks like it was subject to demolition a long time before the picture and there was nothing there to remember.

I might have asked you about that recently if this is what it was

20211020_183851.jpg

39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Shoe-fitting fluoroscope | Deskarati

They had one in the Leith Provident drapers shop on Great Junction Street. I’m not sure when they stopped using it but I remember it being used to get the right fit for my Clarks Commando shoes for primary school. 

Edited by Tazio

37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I might have asked you about that recently if this is what it was

20211020_183851.jpg

Yes that the one, it looks like it has been a sort of play area for a long time, and as I worked the area generally night shift there would have been no reason for me to know it well.  Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.😇

33 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Christ on a bike. 

No phones, no wheelchairs, no swearing but fine if you have missing gnashers.

Some place that.

They’re so far up their own arse in there it’s unbelievable. Had a pal in the Astley Ainslie recuperating after a brain injury and used to go in the odd time if I had been visiting him. Just a weird cliquey atmosphere I really disliked. 

35 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They’re so far up their own arse in there it’s unbelievable. Had a pal in the Astley Ainslie recuperating after a brain injury and used to go in the odd time if I had been visiting him. Just a weird cliquey atmosphere I really disliked. 

Can’t stand the place. I doubt they ever had any need to use the sword next to the bar in the photo. Unless someone was cheeky enough to sit in a locals seat. Even if they weren’t in the bar as I discovered. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Can’t stand the place. I doubt they ever had any need to use the sword next to the bar in the photo. Unless someone was cheeky enough to sit in a locals seat. Even if they weren’t in the bar as I discovered. 

Is that right? They told you not to sit in a seat that was used by a local who wasn’t there.  😀 ****ing hell. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Looks like some piece of torture equipment. 

😂When my brother and I were trying to be smart we'd ask my Granny what sex has.. She'd reply "What you put tatties in.."..

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Is that right? They told you not to sit in a seat that was used by a local who wasn’t there.  😀 ****ing hell. 

Yep. I also know someone that they wouldn’t serve as he was wearing a leather jacket as they don’t serve bikers. Despite a couple of the barman’s mates being dressed the same. It’s 

38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Was she from Morningside? 

No, Colinton. 

I don't know the ins and outs of Edinburgh snobbery/societal boundaries, it's just what she said. 

I actually quoted the wrong post, although it was still yours JTJ.. 

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Did we ever determine which bar this was?

I think the Alhambra on Leith Walk may have looked like in the dim and distant past. 

20 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Where’s this?!

It’s the street off to the left just past the King’s Theatre as you head towards Bruntsfield. Not a clue what it’s called but I remember the foam centre. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s the street off to the left just past the King’s Theatre as you head towards Bruntsfield. Not a clue what it’s called but I remember the foam centre. 

Just had a look on Google maps and it would be Valleyfield Street but it doesn’t look anything like that. 

Just now, Mars plastic said:

Just had a look on Google maps and it would be Valleyfield Street but it doesn’t look anything like that. 

Same here. I remember the foam centre being there and the buildings on the right don’t look like they were built in the last 20 years. My guess was based only on the Foam Centre but maybe they had different shops. 
To sum up, not a ****ing clue. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Same here. I remember the foam centre being there and the buildings on the right don’t look like they were built in the last 20 years. My guess was based only on the Foam Centre but maybe they had different shops. 
To sum up, not a ****ing clue. 

I like to think that I can pick out most of the places in these old pics but this one has me well stumped!! 

1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

Where’s this?!

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think it's looking along Causewayside, the Foam Centre and the buildings to the left are where the National Library is now.

A rough modern day approximation from Google Earth.

Screenshot_20211024-010706_2.jpg

7 hours ago, Beni said:

I think it's looking along Causewayside, the Foam Centre and the buildings to the left are where the National Library is now.

I think you're right. The building and the archway on the right look the same.

20211022_233013.jpg

foamy.jpg

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I think you're right. The building and the archway on the right look the same.

20211022_233013.jpg

foamy.jpg

Thanks. I'd never have got that one. I thought it was St. Leonards!

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Beni said:

Correct. They knocked it down and the foam centre moved across the road to where it is now 

Seymour M Hersh
On 22/10/2021 at 12:47, EIEIO said:

Her dental care leaves a bit to be desired.

Probably the least of your worries regarding her personal care. 

On 21/10/2021 at 15:00, Maroon Sailor said:

20211021_145908.jpg

Great photo. The older bloke in the background is looking bemused at these youngsters with their long hair and is probably wishing he’d someone of his own vintage to talk to. 
Happy days. Little did we know Thatcher was lurking around the corner…

21 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

👍

I wonder when it was decommissioned. 

I have no idea.  I do know that it's where the BMC club stands.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

👍

I wonder when it was decommissioned. 

1957 going by this jonno ....

Edinburgh Corporation moved from cable to electric trams in 1922. To meet increased demand a depot for the west of the city was opened in 1925, built on land which had contained a siding for trams serving football crowds to nearby Tynecastle stadium. The depot had 3 lyes with a further lye outside and two sheds covered the entire length of Westfield Road (seen to the left), and became known as Gorgie Depot.

Its capacity of 80 trams served routes 1, 2, 3, 4 and also in later years routes 25 and 26. Abandonment of the Edinburgh tram system was first mooted in 1951, by then land on the depot's east elevation was in use to accommodate Corporation buses. The trams at Gorgie became the first 'casualties' of closure with the last tram leaving in 1953 when the building was completely taken over by buses, however closure came in 1957 with buses and staff transferred to Longstone and Tollcross. The site is now occupied by a social club and a supermarket.

Seen returning from route 3 is fleet 316, built by English Electric in 1924 and going on to give over 30 years service in Edinburgh. It's shown ready to receive its first advert - advertising was not allowed on the electric tram fleet until 1951.

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Gorgie depot

20211025_113234.jpg.0a9c963056ba5e3f31526e4e43f13ad2.jpg

That was some length of a building. It stretched from the BMC right to the top of Westfield Road.

tram-shed.jpg