Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

The old New Victoria certainly became the Odeon.

It was actually the Odeon before it became The New Victoria.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
8 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

9070656F-1F1D-426A-968E-34817A1DC8F6.jpeg

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Never seen this before, you sure this is Edinburgh?

2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Thinking St Mary's Street but doesn't look right.20201219_065440.thumb.jpg.b5fc59ce2b2141fef8bed7afc3b26ddb.jpg

I thought maybe looking up the High Street toward the corner of North Bridge from around John Knoxs house or sort of looking up Hanover Street toward Queen Street.

Edited by been here before

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1274439771_b25lY21zOjQyM2ZkMGI1LWJlNjMtNDU5Ni1hMDBjLWExYmQwNTMxZTcxMDozZjU5YjI2Mi1hMTM3LTQ3M2EtYmE4ZS1jMmQ0YTc0MDFkMDk.jpg.b0fc02129138620a5459a8175baf4ab9.jpg

The sign in the foreground.

said something like 

bbc Scotland 

new broadcasting centre/house

this was to be the site of the bbc in Edinburgh on the back of the assembly up at Calton hill. Both failed.

40 minutes ago, been here before said:

I thought maybe looking up the High Street toward the corner of North Bridge from around John Knoxs house or sort of looking up Hanover Street toward Queen Street.

The High Street just down the hill from the junction with North Bridge/South Bridge (according to the site I got the picture from)

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The sign in the foreground.

said something like 

bbc Scotland 

new broadcasting centre/house

this was to be the site of the bbc in Edinburgh on the back of the assembly up at Calton hill. Both failed.

Couldn't have BBC Glas...... err Scotland in Edinburgh. No surprise it failed.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, obua said:

East Broughton place. 

image.png.6223d473441c808615163ad80ba3eea8.png

Didn't recognise it myself

She's about to run out of pavement. I can feel the pain in her back

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

St. John’s Road Corstorphine.

image.png.66a82c6828b6bc709f857fd5756fa155.png

The old litter bin

Edited by Maroon Sailor

46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.png.6223d473441c808615163ad80ba3eea8.png

Didn't recognise it myself

She's about to run out of pavement. I can feel the pain in her back

Heading up union street I think. 

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201219_105842.jpg.575af7fccb7bbb65df0616ffc6d25cc2.jpg

20201219_111353.thumb.jpg.6858baf1170a337440640caef308b881.jpg

Stockbridge, Stockeree to the locals.  Bus heading up to towards Circus Place and Howe Street with Hamilton Place left at the lights and Saunders Street to the right.

11 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I think its the end of the buildings at East and Middle Arthurs Place. or Street, memories totally gone which surprises me because I spent a lot of my early police days right among them. The I went to the Craigmillar areas and lo and behold who joined me but some of those same people to the new Niddrie Mill scheme. 

It's East & Middle Arthur Place's, and my lot were one of the families which left here and moved to Niddrie.

11 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Aye, just meant thinking that far ahead assumes a lot of "things" don't happen.

That aside, Bob, I can't imagine how tough it will be for you this "festive" season but we both wish you the best. 

If you were here we'd have you up in a minute, Covid or no ****ing Covid.

Since the kids grew up its been quieter, but it will be the first time in eighty five years I have been alone during the Christmas and New Year holidays, but I don't look at it as a negative, not everyone has spent those times for so long with people they loved and loved so strongly back. I have been blessed.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's East & Middle Arthur Place's, and my lot were one of the families which left here and moved to Niddrie.

I know a woman whose family  moved, from going by her description near slum like conditions in a tenement in Drummond Street, out to a new house in Niddrie and regretted it.

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was actually the Odeon before it became The New Victoria.

I didn't know that It was always the New Vic to me starting around 1939, attended there every Saturday morning at the GB club which Gaumont British the then owners ran for kids during the war years. I know the name change to Odeon caused some disappointment to a number when it happened and it to my memory was never mentioned as such. I have seen considerable comment about the beautiful building being allowed to deteriorate. Of course my first main picture house being the old Salisbury on S Clerk Street where my poor big sister had to drag her wee brother so Mum could have a break.

12 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

77984CFA-9CA4-47E4-9B40-F7E07C694E6B.jpeg

I love this pic. I've never seen a pic of Fettes like this ie complete absence of trees. 

And this would be about 70 years before the council estates like  Boswall/Pilton would appear in the background today. 

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

The High Street just down the hill from the junction with North Bridge/South Bridge (according to the site I got the picture from)

It's an amazing photo for me anyway; think it's the first I've seen from that era time that seems to show a regular street scene with regular folks, as opposed to those promenading down Princes Street/New Town.  Full-on business day going on in that scene.

43 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I know a woman whose family  moved, from going by her description near slum like conditions in a tenement in Drummond Street, out to a new house in Niddrie and regretted it.

I can honesty believe that.

On the now very rare occasions that we drive through Niddrie, I sometimes wonder how my life would have panned out if we had stayed in Craigmillar and hadn't moved out to the Borders. 

I somehow doubt I would have the same lifestyle as I do now.

been here before
49 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201219_143845.jpg

Hailes Quarry.

Bus garage to the right of where the building with the white roof is. Murrayburn Road cutting across and Parkhead middle top.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

Hailes Quarry.

Bus garage to the right of where the building with the white roof is. Murrayburn Road cutting across and Parkhead middle top.

I don't see any shops at the top of Parkhead across the road from The Silver Wing.

Thought they had been there for years.

13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Hailes Quarry.

I can see my old flat in Dumbryden Gardens.  That building with the white roof is now MKM building supplies, where the guid takeaway van sits. 

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't see any shops at the top of Parkhead across the road from The Silver Wing.

Thought they had been there for years.

The Co-op was there before they made the dual carriageway, which is there.  It must be in the beige area across from the Wing; just not clear in the pic.

been here before
20 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The Co-op was there before they made the dual carriageway, which is there.  It must be in the beige area across from the Wing; just not clear in the pic.

Id concur with that.

The Wing and the good bakers     (Murdo McLeod ex snooker player) n white and that biege square is where the co-op is.

been here before

Hailes Quarry stone was used to build the New Town. It used to be about 300ft deep and there is a tale there is an elephant is buried in it having died in the zoo.

s3hailesquarry.thumb.jpg.3fe1e9ba94accc24ded3d98907658ca2.jpg

Maroon Sailor
52 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I can see my old flat in Dumbryden Gardens.  That building with the white roof is now MKM building supplies, where the guid takeaway van sits. 

That building used to be Bowens

Maroon Sailor
47 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Flat roof by the looks of it

Chemist (McKinnon's off the top of my head ....... Mc something) and Scotmid